Pandemonium

Harmony Of Jung Family

 

“Unnie!” called Yuri buoyantly as she entered Kwon Mansion with joyful steps. She had just gone from a date with Choi Minho, apparently the blind date that Changmin set was safe to be called a success, now Minho was officially dating Kwon Yuri. After few days, Minho successfully attracted Yuri with his mealy-mouth, being a Noona Killer he is. Within a count of days, he had stolen Kwon Yuri’s heart.


Closing her medical book she was reading on the sofa, she smiled at Yuri, feeling happy that finally Yuri had a new guy she could count on, last time Yuri ended up with a pretty bad guy who intended to blackmail her for a crime she had never commit. After that painful experience, Boa would never let Yuri date any random guy anymore, and that’s where her stalk ability came in. Boa hadn’t known the true character of Minho, but his first impression intrigued Boa as well, so she thought they would get along fine.

 

Yuri strolled and sat beside Boa. “Having a good time with your new guy?” asked Boa playfully, nudging her elbow to her younger sister.

 

Her cheeks turned red. “You could say so, he’s really nice and understanding, a rare kind. We’re still shy to one another, but we sure are making progress.” admitted Yuri with a blush, bursting with happiness.

 

“Well isn’t that delightful? But make sure you do a background check this time! I wouldn’t want you to cry alone and not stepping a single foot from your room like last time.” nodded Yuri, carefully listening her sister’s advice. Last time, Boa had to wait for few days until Yuri could regain her senses, and to persuade her wasn’t an easy task.

 

“Don’t worry, it happens that Sooyoung is his big sister, so if something comes up I could ask her anything.” 

 

“Oh, so he’s with the Chois then? Be careful then, that family has quite a pride, since they has a high-social status.  Better find out first whether they’ll accept you or not as his girlfriend.” advised the older sister.

 

“I’ll take note on that, but overall hanging with them is fun.”

 

“That’s a fine start, keep your eyes on though.” Boa caressed Yuri’s black silk hair. “I wish I could do as well as you.”

 

Yuri felt disheartened to hear that sentence that came out from Boa’s lips, she realized that Boa was in the same position as she was, but she was having a good time on her own with her new partner, while her sister kept giving her advice, she had nothing to give in return.

 

“I’m really sorry, Boa unnie, I didn’t mean to interfere, but how are things between you and that Jung Yunho? Fine?” that’s the least she could do, ask.

 

“Don’t worry, things are going smoothly.” however her statement didn’t seem to be assuring, her face didn’t say the same thing, her eyes contained sadness, and Yuri noticed it crystal clear.

 

“What is it?”

 

“It’s nothing, but I just don’t feel right keeping things by myself. The two of us are running well three-legged to know one another, but still, I haven’t told him every inch of the truth that I kept myself, I just don’t know how to convey this truth to him.”

 

Yuri finally grasped what Boa was referring, and felt wrong to have asked. She had asked Boa to reconsider to form another relationship even before the blind date, but now Boa’s up for it, and she couldn’t stop Boa from going further, now that Yunho has developed feelings for her, to her acknowledgement.

 

“Unnie, you should tell him, if you’re serious about him—”  

 

She cut in. “That’s the problem! I don’t even know whether I’m serious about him or not, it’s getting into my nerves somehow.” Yuri was taken aback by Boa’s raise in her voice, the big sister closed in surprise, didn’t realize she was throwing tantrums at Yuri. “I’m sorry Yul, but I’ve been in quite a stress.”

 

“Gwenchana, but I’m more interested why did you say you couldn’t tell whether you’re serious about him or not. I thought you are content about him already, what’s bothering you? You know you could tell me everything.” Yuri patted her sister’s back dearly.

 

Boa sighed, she had never felt this much of a confusion before. She wanted Yunho to become a part of her life, but she was afraid that Yunho might just become a repetition of her ill history, after all men were still a mystery to her side. Before, she had met numerous men, but none of them were showing their real skin, usually they show their sweet surface, but by the end, they left  her in a bitter end.

 

And there’s one, even, who dared to hurt her mentally, just to find their own pleasure.

 

“I’m just…afraid, you know? I always thought that the last one I had would be the one, so that’s why I gave in, right? But..he’s just the same as the rest after all. Distrust inside me would be too much for him to handle.” She confessed her fears, her trauma that actually Yuri was aware of, but never dare to speak again. It’s safe to say that it was indeed the biggest embarrassment in her life to had given everything for the sake of love, that actually was never there.

 

“I’m sure he could understand, after all you’re not the first to did such a thing.” Yuri tried to cheer her up with a poor attempt.

 

“But it wouldn’t be weird at all if he’s scared to have to accept that much of a burden that didn’t belong to him in the first place.  He might get mad at me for not giving him this important piece of information from the information, he might hate me for that, I don’t know.”

 

“That’s for him to decide, after you tell him the truth.”

 

“I’m still not sure.”

 

Boa sighed for a second time, exhausted, baffled, of what decision she has to make. Then something rang from afar inside the house.

 

“Unnie, I think it’s the monitor, you should check on her.

 

She was beat,physically and mentally but she had no choice. Reluctantly, she stood up, taking light steps to upstairs and entered a room. She approached the white baby crib at the corner of the room, she swung it gently, to stop the user of the crib from crying, but the cry didn’t seem to be stopping anytime sooner. Thus, she lifted the small being from the crib and rocked the fragile life-form affectionately.

 

“There, there.” At the sight of Boa, the baby stopped her bawling few seconds after the soft swing Boa gave to her. Then she drifted to her dreamland, her tiny hands under her chin. Boa put her back to where she belonged, but chose to stay longer to watch the infant in her deep sleep.

 

In her heart, she had resolved;

 

I’m going to find you a father, a father that’s worthy to be called one. I promise, Seungyeon.

 

From the side of the door that was left ajar, Yuri was secretly watching with a worried look. Hoping that Boa’s choice upon Yunho for that time to be the right one, for Seungyeon, and for Boa herself.


 

He strolled slowly on the red carpet floor inside the airport, incredibly captivated by the elegant architecture of Frankfurt Airport that gave off a different from Incheon, he couldn't say that Incheon is a bad airport, rather, he liked the way Incheon the way it is. Still, to him, Germany was a new experience, even though he traveled a lot with his siblings and his parents, never once he stepped in that land. He couldn't tell, if it's a good news or bad news to have the obligation to stay there on his own, for a few years.

 

“What a sight.” he looked through the big glasses that showed the extraordinary view outside the airport, as he satisfied himself with the scenery for few minutes, now he got back to his agenda, there were things he listed himself, things he had to do.

 

Gulping, as he saw few things he had set for himself to accomplish, when he wrote it himself back in Jung Manor, it didn’t seem so hard, but as he looked the reality in front of him, he realized how much of a responsibility he at in hand.

 

Again, his optimism sky dropped once he realized he has to do things on his own without anyone to help him.

 

He regretted a bit to have underestimated Krystal’s bravery to went on her own to Singapore without anyone else to aid her before she landed on the Lion City, the night before she helped herself with loads of snacks from the refrigerator and ate it herself in the dining table, if she weren’t his sister, he might mistaken her as a pregnant woman. Now he understood, that Krystal was savoring the taste of ‘home’ before she could leave off, only that time Jin Woon realized what she was doing. He couldn’t help but to think; oh, so this is what it feels like.

 

Putting the trivial thoughts aside, he returned to his agenda and glanced at the first point, checking the new home.

 

“First and foremost, I ought to find out more about my residence here.” Jin Woon read the first point in his agenda whilst looking for the address of his apartment, indifferently walking further to the airport’s exit with his eyes set on the agenda. It only took a while until he bumped into someone.

 

“Pardon.” He apologized in German, adapting to the country already.

 

But the man with hat kept his head down, the man with his head on didn’t give respond and passed by.

 

Only took a while until Jin Woon realized that there’s one belonging he had was lost, his wallet.

 

“Where the—”

 

“Hey” He turned his head around and found that the man was running away from him in a fast pace, the culprit that took his wallet tried to escape the airport bringing Jin Woon’s wallet that contained every single penny he had. Jin Woon pursued the guy, but having difficulty to catch up since the thief had a head start. Hence, the guy managed to escape the airport, and Jin Woon’s left with his belongings. He hunched on his knee, trying to catch his breath, the thief was out of his sight.

 

“Damn it…” he muttered under his breath. Crestfallen, he returned to the airport with a gloomy feeling, giving up on his wallet, he had expected things to proceed smoothly according to his plan, but his plan didn’t seem to proceed just the way he wanted. As he returned, another surprise came to him. His trolley vanished out of thin air, he was petrified to see that before him was only an ocean of people at the place where he left his belongings. He fell on his knees, couldn’t apprehend the emergency situation, he was in great deal of shock. It only had been minutes he had spent here. He fell one of Germany’s modus operandi of crime without him realizing. He couldn’t think more than calling his mother to send him a ticket home.

 

Wait

 

With his wallet and belongings gone…

 

His passport?

 

His mind was blank at the thought of losing his passport.

 

He tried to regain strength and calming himself, but it didn’t seem to work, it was a tremendous heartache to receive such welcome from the Germans. He inhaled and exhaled, keep telling himself that he should maintain his composure. At this situation, one mustn’t panic, he noted in his mind. He checked what’s left on him, his cellphone on his jeans’ right pocket, his brown Nike waist pack that contained; a receipt, Mentos, a little sum of money he received from the change, coins to be exact, a Mars chocolate bar, tissues, and lastly eye drops.

 

Not exactly things he could use to survive, but they will do.

 

He checked his surroundings in search of security guards, at least he could report what he had lost, probably the culprit’s way gone from the airport but in case they encounter the same thief, they could react right away, it’s for the sake of safety in the airport as well.

 

His German paradise, his dream job, his freedom could wait, he assured himself. Accidents would befall to every person in the world, it’s a test to his first step in foreign country and he chose to accept that fact wholeheartedly.   


 

“Remind me again why you are you following me?” asked Yonghwa drenched with sarcasm, riding his bike nonchalantly to his own to home to get the sleep he had lost the night before. Originally, he planned to take his nap during the lecture, but Dongguk’s new girl who captivated the hearts of many freshmen wouldn’t let him sleep in peace, she sat beside him on purpose so that he didn’t doze off, everytime Yonghwa was about to close his eyes, Seohyun would always there to pinch him, forcing him to open his eyes.

 

Yonghwa had no choice but to keep his eyes open to something he didn’t want to involve himself with, otherwise Seohyun would use her tiny fingers to hurt him, truth to be told, it was painful for fingers of that mini size. He figured the way out was to escape to his place of zen and peace, to Jung Manor, where no one would disturb his sleep.

 

Riding her bike on the same speed as Yonghwa, she replied. “I must make sure you do the whole project, who knows what you’re up to this time, Jonghyun might let you slip but don’t think I’ll tolerate your misbehavior, if my score is bad because of you, my father wouldn’t just leave it be.”

 

“Oh so you’re that daddy’s good girl type?” he teased the younger girl, making Seohyun gasp upon his understatement, somehow daddy’s good girl was one title she despised, it’s just she respected him from the bottom of her heart, but people ought to see it that way.

 

“I am not! I just want to be a good daughter to my father!” she revolted.

 

“That means you’re daddy’s good girl after all.”

 

“I said I’m not! Stop mocking me!” she tried to tackle Yonghwa’s bike with hers upsetly, but Yonghwa avoided it in a right timing so her attempt to injure Yonghwa backfired at her, she lost her balance and her white Polygon bike tripped, she fell headlong. She was unlucky, she fell on asphalt, and the back of her hand was cut.

 

“Oops.” He sounded neither responsible nor sympathetic.

 

“Ouch…” She groaned in pain, loud enough for Yonghwa to hear, but she couldn’t think of asking his help, even she had a pride one her own, especially after looking like an idiot in front of him.

 

Her eyes glared at his, piercing through his underestimating look. “I don’t mind being your laughingstock, but could you please laugh at me in other place?” she sounded so pathetic, but Yonghwa didn’t feel a pity on her, the only thought that came into his mind was that he didn’t want to get accused for hurting a girl.

 

He didn’t laugh one bit, the only thing he did was searching something inside his bag, a plaster. He deliberately put the item beside Seohyun who was in a mess.

 

“I suppose you know how to put that yourself, and I don’t have the energy to laugh today so I think I’ll pass. Bye.” He rode his bike further away from Seohyun and headed to Jung Manor.

 

Seohyun was dumbfounded, unable to tell whether Yonghwa was trying to be nice or simply being indifferent. She was thankful towards Yonghwa who left a medicine for her to use, but still she wasn’t enough to neglect her first intention. She got back on her feet once she put the plaster on her hand, thankfully it was not that bad, and she trailed Yonghwa off to Jung Manor.

 

“I’m home.” Yonghwa reported, loud enough for the Jungs’ security guards to hear him out. They briskly opened the double-doors, sliding them, one to the left side, one to the right side, letting their young master to enter the resident.

 

“I told you to open the door wide enough for me to enter, you needn’t to open it as if I’ll bring a car along, Ahjussi.”

 

“I’m sorry but it’s Mrs. Jung’s order, we will do as she wish, and we are doing her a favor, Master Yonghwa.” Answered one of the security guards, keeping his body straight, Yonghwa groaned at his remarks, he never once liked any kind of formalities such as family events, meetings with renowned socialites, and any similar occasions. He never liked to be told on things, but his father loved to take charge on things.

 

It’s always this and that by his parents.

 

“Suit yourself.” He left them, bringing his bike to the garage and parked it on its usual spot. He opened his shoelaces and sent his blue Converse shoes flying to random places.

 

He didn’t say a word to sign that he was coming, nobody cares anyway except for Mrs. Jung, who he believed won’t be present at that point of time. Just when he’s about to take his first step on the winder stairs, one of his family’s trusted maid, Miss Oh, poked his back.

 

“What do you want?” he paid no respect to the aged woman.

 

“There’s someone here for you, Master Yonghwa. A girl at your age whom I believe is your classmate.” Noted Miss Oh, Yonghwa’s brows wrinkled, he was sure he didn’t make an appointment with anyone else today, and he believed none of his fangirls would chase him down to his house, he was only a campus idol, not a global one.

 

“Whoever she is, expel her in any way you can, just tell her I’m not present.” Ordered Yonghwa.

 

“I’m afraid she insisted, Master. She said she knows you’re here and she won’t leave until you comes out.” The elderly added, then an image of someone popped on Yonghwa’s head, only one person in this world would say that.

 

That girl again. Thought Yonghwa with disgust.

 

“Fine, tell the guards to let her in. Prepare a glass of water, Miss Oh. We have an unexpected company.” She nodded at his orders and waltzed in to the kitchen, commencing her work.

 

He sighed and massaged his temple, thinking what he could do to dispel Seohyun out from his businesses, she was simply being an unpleasant nuisance to his life. Maybe finishing the final project as soon as he can was the only way to go, he didn’t feel like doing it, but it would be worse for him to have Seohyun around him often.

 

“Annyeonghaseo.” She bowed to Yonghwa, performing her usual etiquette, although she didn’t like Yonghwa, but she maintained her manner.

 

He didn’t answer with a very welcoming remark. “For someone who got herself hurt because of her own carelessness, you sure are pretty persistent.”

 

“The mistakes that have been done is not to be regretted, but to be made a lesson.” Quoted Seohyun sagely, while putting her shoes in front door, then she realized that Yonghwa’s shoes that were sent flying were scattered everywhere, she tut-tutted, thinking how much this boy needed some manner practice.

 

“Do you have no orders in your life? Is this what your parents taught you?” asked Seohyun.

 

“I have deep respect on the concept of freedom.” He proudly answered, being indifferent as usual.

 

Seohyun sighed, to knock the sense out of this guy is harder than convincing a lion to eat carrots. However, she was not here to correct his wrongdoings she’s here for the project, she didn’t wish to get her time wasted too much on this guy either.

 

“Whatever, I’m here to debrief you of things you should do according our team’s agreement. I suppose you have no problem with the subject selected by me and Jonghyun?” inquired the younger girl.

 

Yonghwa shrugged before he answered her question. “I couldn’t care less.”

 

Not exactly the answer she expected, but it was the best she expect him to give. “Good, now where shall we sit? This might take longer than you think it will be.”

 

He rolled his eyes, something told him that he was being controlled by the girl, but for the sake of his peaceful time he could spare as soon as the project ended, he chose to do what she wanted.

 

“Here would be fine, help yourself.” He sat in the dining room, she pulled out one of the chair and taking all the books she needed for Yonghwa to read, Yonghwa read the books with weary look, books that he believed only Seohyun would own, Classical Music 101, Too High To Die : Meet The Puppets, just looking at the title of the book made him tired already. She actually did almost half of the work required for the project, but she had to make Yonghwa had a loads of work, for her personal pleasure, though.

 

Yonghwa noticed the plaster he gave on back of Seohyun’s hand, it wasn’t nicely put, almost peeled off at its end, since Seohyun did put it on her in a hurry so that she could catch up with Yonghwa to Jung Manor.

 

He didn’t feel like it, but it was annoying to see that the stuff he gave wasn’t appreciated. Then he reached his hand and trying to fix it without Seohyun noticing, but the girl slapped his hand before he could do his good deed.

 

“Don’t touch me!” feeling agitated by Yonghwa’s suspicious action, she reflectively recoiled.

 

“I was trying to fix that!” he pointed at the brown plaster, Seohyun just realized that it was close of being detached from her hand, and her blood which wasn’t dry yet was showing off. She felt rather guilty of slapping Yonghwa’s hand without asking his intention, she figured her body resonated the same as her heart towards Yonghwa.

 

“Nevermind, there’s no point trying to be good to you.” said Yonghwa.

 

“Here,” She reached her hand in front of him. “finish what you started.” He groaned at the vanity in her voice that showed no regret at all, but he did fix the plaster anyway, to think that there’s a part of his fault on that scar.

 

“I’m sorry for this.” He apologized.

 

“No you’re not.”

 

“I mean it.”

 

“Liar.”

 

“Fine, suit yourself.” He saw no point arguing with Seohyun, at least he did his responsibility to give Seohyun something that would cure her, moreover, he had helped her fixing the plaster, so he believed he had done his job, more or less.

 

“There.” Yonghwa did the finishing touch by pressing the plaster, so that it wouldn’t peel off again.

 

“Thanks.”

 

“I’m home.” with their hands still in touch, Mrs. Jung entered the house, taken aback to see the scene before her, her son had his hand on other girl’s, it was utterly surprising. The two finally broke their skinship in a brisk, as if they did something wrong.

 

“Who this young lady might be, Yonghwa?” Seohyun stood up and went forward to Mrs. Jung, bowing her head ninety degrees while introducing herself.

 

“Annyeonghaseo, Seo Joo Hyun imnida, ma’am, but everyone calls me Seohyun. Pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Jung. I am Yonghwa’s classmate.”

 

Mrs. Jung was delighted by Seohyun’s behavior which she had never encountered before with her sons or daughters, not even Krystal was being that polite and formal to her, she accepted that as a part of growing up. Still, seeing Seohyun acted was so pleasing.

 

“My, what a lovely lady you are, Seohyun. I’m starting to like you already. Please, make yourself at home, I have some business, to attend. Yonghwa, entertain her will you?” the fourth son of Mrs. Jung only gave her an unpleasant expression but the mother wasn’t expecting more than that.

 

“Now if you excuse me.” Seohyun bowed once more to the householder, the elderly woman grinned, thinking falsely that Yonghwa had find himself a pair for him, and Yonghwa realized that, but before he could make everything clear, Mrs. Jung already went upstairs, with a smile plastered on her face, and a thumb pointed to the air was secretly given to Yonghwa.

 

Seohyun was flustered to found herself being caught in such situation. The two sighed, thinking what Mrs. Jung thought of them, whatever she thought of them, they believed it was a false thinking of hers.

 

“I’ll explain to her later, let’s get this done.”

 

With an awkward feeling, they still went on with their discussion.


 

She had a class for tomorrow morning and an assignment to be collected and there was one problem she couldn’t solve alone, at times like that she would went straight to Mr. Jung, or if he wasn’t around, Jin Woon would be there to help her. Now that they’re long gone, she had no other choice but to ask her other brothers even if she didn’t feel like it. Then she passed by her fourth brother, who she believed won’t bother with her.

 

“I heard you have a new girlfriend.” She teased, in a very poor choice of words in her attempt to ask him the question.

 

“Before you jump into false conclusions, she’s my classmate and whatever that old lady told you, it isn’t the truth.” However Jessica’s smirk didn’t falter as she leaned her face closer to Yonghwa with an annoying smug expression. Yonghwa rolled his eyes and sighed, he decided to drop the conversation and left Jessica alone.

 

“Tch, no fun.” She commented, and continued wandering around the house, trying to find someone that’s willing to explain. She had spent all day surfing the internet and it didn’t seem to cure her nescience. Then she ran into Yunho, who was skimming through newspapers on the dining table, she figured that Yunho was trying to make a move on his own after Jin Woon had surpassed him.

 

“Searching for a job?” she asked rhetorically, merely trying to find his attention. However Yunho circled another job section in the newspaper, paying no attention to his little sister. Even with his earphones, he actually heard her, but he supposed her presence was no more than a nuisance. Hence, he chose to ignore the blonde. 

 

She let out a exasperated groan, thinking that he would only respond to his Cinderella who was in Singapore and not to Cinderella’s sister. She realized it would be hopeless to ask him to help.

 

Jessica continued roaming around the house, trying to find Ji Hoon, the only option left. Then she recalled he often hung out in his personal space work these recent days. Then she found herself standing in front of his home office, when her hand was only 5 centimeter away from the door, her first intention to knock on the door was stopped once she heard his frustrated voice.

 

“Damn it! Damn it! Damn it!” Jessica didn’t knock, but she peeked through a small gap she opened from the door. She gulped to see Ji Hoon slamming the keyboard, ruffling his hair until it was messy enough that Jessica might not be able to tell that it was Ji Hoon she knew. Only seconds she spared to tell that she shouldn’t bother Ji Hoon, but as his little sister, she felt responsible for cheering him up, like the way he did once to her.

 

“Oppa, calm down.” Her voice resonated in his ears. He circled his head around to see Jessica standing behind her with a worried look. Jessica bit her lip as she noticed bags under his eyes and red in his eyes.

 

Her hand rested on his shoulder. “Please rest, I beg you.”

 

She never once pleaded if it weren’t for her own importance, but the condition wasn’t the right timing to be selfish. Like it or not, he’s still a brother she concerned.

 

“If you’re worried about me, leave me be, I have a deadline to catch. I don’t need your false concern.” His harsh words stunned Jessica, never once she heard Ji Hoon let out such cruel remark. It’s true that she never once showed that she cared for him, even so, it was difficult to accept how much Ji Hoon had changed since the death of Mr. Jung.

 

Trying to accept his condition, again, she gave in. “Fine, suit yourself.”

 

She left, with a slam on the door

 

With another slam on her own door, retreated to her room in dismay, opening her slippers as she buried herself on the bed’s cushion. A single tear escaped her eyes and she questioned herself bitterly, is she needed in family? Do they even care for her? The questions bombarded inside her thoughts and she’s been asking herself the same questions everyday, it was one reason why Jessica often covered herself with a cold haze aura that always surrounded her, but sometimes she wished someone would understand how she truly felt.

 

She used to have one, used to.

 

Her door opened once more, Mrs. Jung stood still. “Jessica, dear, what happened? You were making noises everywhere.”

 

“Leave me alone, Mommy.” She kept her head within the cushion, not letting her mother see her tear.

 

She didn’t listen to her orders as usual. Mrs. Jung approached the blonde and caressed her hair slowly. “Tell me, what’s bothering you, Soo Yeon-ah?”

 

“Nothing.” Lies.

 

“You are no good when it comes to lying. Come on, your mother’s here, you know you could literally tell me everything.” She comprehended her daughter. When she’s in a depressed state, a little convincing was necessary to make her open , Jessica would always surrender afterwards. Although Jessica was practically a Daddy’s girl, but that didn’t mean Mrs. Jung understood nothing of Jessica.

 

She turned her head to let her mother see her face. “Mommy, tell me, am I no good to the family?”

 

The question surely surprised Mrs. Jung, it was the first time Jessica asked her the meaning of her existence.

 

“How could say that? You’re our family’s first girl.”

 

Unsatisfied, she rolled her eyes, she was getting sick of that answer that her father had repeated throughout his life. “Other than that, other than being our family’s first , what good am I?”

 

Mrs. Jung yanked a little after hearing her daughter’s rant compelled with abusive words, Mrs. Jung realized this matter was serious, she had to choose the right words before she could answer Jessica’s uncertainties.

 

“Hm, you could say you’re your father’s solace?” she attempted to make her feel better, but her attempt made Jessica frown instead.

 

“Admirable, but now that he’s gone, where’s the good part?” her question was drenched with sarcasm.

 

Mrs. Jung took another seconds to thought of another answer. “You’re…our family’s—” 

 

“—first girl, yeah I get it, that’s all I mean to you.” She added herself, considering that her mother was a wrong choice to confide in, she turned her back on her, didn’t wish to talk any longer.

 

“Maybe I should just leave the manor.” Remarked Jessica bitterly.

 

Mrs. Jung heaved a sigh, consoling had never been her department after all. “Look, dear, no one should say you’re no good to the family, and neither yourself. You are important, no matter what you thought of yourself. You’re just turning twenty, I didn’t expect you to make contribution yet, darling, no need to get ahead from your brothers.”

 

“’Stal is still seventeen, and she went to ahead to Singapore.”

 

“And you are entering Chung-Ang, I see no problem in that, and tell you what, Krystal being in Singapore, doesn’t mean she outsmart you.” Mrs. Jung said prudently.

 

“They say I’m a spoiled brat.”

 

“Perhaps they are referring to youth? My lifestyle was similar to you when I was young, so I see myself in you, sometimes it makes me feel young again to shop around with you. You’ve always been a good evaluator when it comes to clothes, and I appreciate that.” Noted the mother of six children benevolently, joining her daughter to lean on the bed.

 

Jessica was relieved somehow to hear those reassuring words from her mother, it didn’t perfectly heal wound in her heart, but it did make her feel better.

 

“Thanks, Mommy. Thanks for trying to make me feel better.” She expressed her gratitude to her mother sincerely. She could breath a sigh and her shoulders seemed lighten up. She felt like she’s no worse than she thought she was.

 

“I hope that’s not another sarcasm of yours.” She joked playfully.

 

“I assure you it’s not.”

 

“Mother.” Another person opened Jessica’s door, it was Ji Hoon this time. He looked even messier than Jessica remembered when she visited him in his office, just then, but she couldn’t care less, if he’s going to throw his tantrums on her again, she would retreat to any vacant room available, probably Krystal’s or Jin Woon’s.

 

Quite surprised to see his messy state, Mrs. Jung was starled. “Ji Hoon! What’s happening to you?!”

 

“I’m okay, Mother. It’s just I could use a little rest.” His reassurance didn’t assure his mother at all, but the eldest gave her a hug to made her feel better. “I’m really okay, mind if I talk to Jessica for a moment?”

 

“If you say so, just don’t collapse on me though.” He smiled weakly, although her mother didn’t seem to receive the message.

 

He whispered to her ears. “Just the two of us.”

 

Her mother wasn’t sure, but she nodded in the end.

 

“Careful, she’s being sensitive.” She whispered back, he beckoned understandably. Mrs. Jung lifted herself from Jessica’s bed and left a space for the two to talk, it’s rare to found them having a sibling talk, so she supposed this time would be good conversation to share with. When she closed the door of Jessica’s room, she didn’t leave. She leaned on the wall right beside Jessica’s room, eavesdropping them.

 

“Jessica.” Ji Hoon began, sitting at the edge of the bed.

 

“What do you want?” she responded coldly, trying to avoid any topic with him.

 

He exhaled, he knew he had done wrong, but he didn’t realize it would affect his sister to that point. “I’m sorry, okay? I should’ve not said that.”

 

“Whatever, I don’t care. Catch your deadline since you were so eager about it, see if I care.” She retorted dryly, she knew he was trying to console things in her, but the pain in her heart was not that easy to dissolve.

 

“I could use a little break.”

 

“You could use your own room.”

 

“You don’t understand, I need to talk to you. Can you please, get up and see me?” He sounded so serious that Jessica felt the pressure to listen his request. She woke up involuntarily, seeing his awful condition hurt her again, but she left her compassion hung in the air.

 

“I’m really, really, really sorry. I shouldn’t have said all those things. Like I said, I have a deadline to catch, now everything’s on me so I expect you to understand if I’m getting worked up one time or another, you don’t have to tolerate it and feel free if you want to held grudges on me. I’m doing this to my family, and nothing else, and you’re one part of it.” He explained thoroughly, asking her imagine herself in his shoes. Without having him said so, she actually understood how hard it is to become a patriarch, especially when things happened so sudden.

 

“Things weren’t on my table lately and I—”

 

She cut in, getting the point of his talk already. “I understand, Ji Hoon. I understand.” She repeated.

 

He didn’t expect her reaction at all.

 

“Thank you, Jessica. I promise you’ll enjoy the outcome when I can glorify this family like our father did.”

 

“I’ll hold onto that promise, but putting those aside,” To Ji Hoon’s surprise, she caressed his cheek dearly. “I’m really concerned about you, please rest for crap’s sake, you’re ruined.”

 

“I know, thank you for understanding, Jessica.” He leaned on her shoulder, resting himself, and fell asleep. Jessica rolled her eyes to have Ji Hoon on her shoulder, but it sure was nice to be someone her brother can lean on. She smiled, she couldn’t exactly ask him of the assignments since he was beyond beat, her professor surely would scold her tomorrow, but she couldn’t care less. Ji Hoon needed her more than she needed him, that’s all that she had to know.

 

Secretly, a pair of eyes was watching them behind the door. Mrs. Jung beamed sheepishly. She knew that Jessica’s existence was more than just a nuisance. Even though she rarely see any interaction between Jessica and her siblings, when she did, it would be a great help to the others, despite her cold and icy attitude, she had a sweet side of her own.

 

Only one thought that worried her, an imagination, rather, if only she could show the same affection to her little sister.


 

Dear my beloved husband,

 

I couldn’t express how much I miss you even after you’re not here with me anymore. Things have been topsy-turvy lately since you left us and returned to the ground, the more time we spent without you in body made us really appreciate your existence when you’re still with us, of how much easier life was with you around.

 

I really, really miss you, and I promise I stay loyal to the family you left to me, your sons and daughters are working hard to express their gratitude to you, especially our firstborn, Ji Hoon who’s continuing your legacy to run the company like you always wanted, our kid is having a rough time, but I believe if we give him the right push, I’m sure he’ll do fine, he’s a natural leader after all.

 

Your second offspring, Yunho, is trying to find a job now! Isn’t that wonderful? According to Jin, he has a girlfriend now so he’s trying to impress her, I don’t know who she is right now but I’m sure I’ll find out soon, having him trying hard to find a job makes me happy already though. I’ll be sure to give him the right assistance since he barely listens to other people.

 

For our Jin, he’s roaming around Germany now, I couldn’t tell how he’s doing but I’m sure he’s having fun upon his freedom, he’s a brilliant kid that we don’t need to worry about, right?  To my surprise, he asked me not to fund him. His request worries me even more than letting him go alone, but we have faith in our son, right?

 

Yonghwa—for him, I couldn’t say much. I did as you told, not to share the secrets that were revealed between us, none of his siblings realize it either so I hope I can stall the ‘news’ for a little longer. Aside from that, I think like Yunho, he has found herself a girlfriend named Seohyun! Dear, I tell you, she’s such a sweetheart! I wish you could meet her before you go, but it can’t be helped, I have my eyes set on her, in a good term.

 

Our first girl, I know she dislikes the title but I really like address her that. She’s becoming less and less resentful to her brothers, she’s getting close to Ji Hoon lately, don’t get jealous though! He’s got your gene anyway. Just now, she asked how important she is to our family, I tell her she’s one part of our perfect world. I’m such a mother don’t I?

 

I’m worried about one thing, our lastborn.

 

She hasn’t received any news regarding you, I’m afraid she’s going to find out soon since she inherited your instinct. When I was planning to tell her, our children oppose my idea, I wouldn’t appreciate your last will if I tell her the truth, said them. I don’t know, I’m clueless of what I should do to pass this news, please, give me the courage and strength to tell her the truth by the time she got here, I beg you.

 

Lastly, I want to tell how much I miss you, my dear. I love you, and I promise I will keep the family you have given to me as best as I can. I love you so much.

 

Please, rest in peace, for eternity, my love.

 

Droplets fell on the letter, it had passed a month and Mrs. Jung had yet forgotten about her husband, she just couldn’t forget about him. There’s always a special, tidy place for him in her heart. To let him go in her soul was surely out of question.

 

 

Author’s Note: Jung Family is one family full of problems, so is my mother’s. Despite all that, I love my grandmother, and I see her in Mrs. Jung. RIP my dear grandmama :’)