Fate

Harmony Of Jung Family

“I told you I’d do it myself while you guys can sit tight and relax, why do you have that much mistrust in me? Or are you here simply because you like to bother me?” Yonghwa complained as he greeted—found his new classmate taking her shoes off in a tidy manner. His promises that were intended to keep her away from his house wasn’t a guarantee at all, Seohyun really loved take charge in something including supervision, even Jonghyun dubbed her as the group’s leader.

 

“Trust me, if you were to lie, better make it convincing. Did you honestly think you could fool me? I’ve heard your fashion of doing things from Jonghyun, and his stories scared me, I’m afraid letting someone as slowpoke as you might not the best idea I’ve ever came up with.” Seohyun stamped into Yonghwa’s room inside Jung Manor, she was not in the best mood either.

 

“Oi, slow down, will you?” Yonghwa grumbled without being heard by Seohyun. The girl kept her heavy steps until he reached Yonghwa’s premises. She was close to burst into Yonghwa’s room before and she didn’t hesitate to do it for the second time, then she recalled an accident that happened last time as her hand was placed on the doorknob.

 

“None of your underwear is outside its appropriate place, right?”

 

A sudden color brought up into his face, thinking this is a perfect opportunity to shoo her off out from his room of privacy. “If I say yes, will you not step in there?”

 

Seohyun rolled her eyes as she knew what that meant, without a slight of hesitation she entered abruptly and searched for Yonghwa’s table, and she saw the piles of books that she had given to him on the table, mounted up in a messy way. “Aigoo, do you have no sense of cleanliness?”

 

“A sacrifice must be paid in order to achieve something, that’s the price of my work, sorry if those are important books for you.” He didn’t sound apologetic at all. In fact, he indeed felt nothing as his gestured showed enough to Seohyun, even after scrapping someone’s book.

Seohyun let out an exasperated sigh, but she continued. Her books are precious but she thought she could save it for later. “Never mind, how far did you get? Where could I see your work?”

 

“Here,” Yonghwa threw his blue shabby notebook to the desk. “everything’s inside.” He noted shortly after.

 

Seohyun flipped through the first pages that contained very little of Yonghwa’s notes upon college work of his own, she’s not even sure that it was his handwork alone. Seohyun hated how much of her intuition that usually came off right, Yonghwa’s not the type she could trust with solo work. But as she flipped to the page that had the title of their project, she was utterly surprised, the notes weren’t few and a trace of whiteouts were found in there, he did as he promised, leaving Seohyun speechless.

 

“Well?”

 

Wanted nothing more but to have him work more of this, she skipped her amazement. “It’s fine, it could use a little work but if you keep on like this, I guess you can manage.” It exceeded her expectation, if she was to be frank.

 

“You lack so much of honesty, I can tell, reminds me of my sister.” Yonghwa was more perceptive than she thought he’d be, but inside she was relieving a sigh. He made her wonder, amused her even, if he’s someone with talents indeed, if it’s so, then she could answer why those three (Jonghyun, Minhyuk, and Jungshin) looked so highly at him, she thought he’s a kind of bully since he had quite built body, but he proved her wrong.

 

“You did well than I expected. Period.”

 

“That’s a good start, so, no staying over, right?” Yonghwa was waiting to ask that question since Seohyun stepped into Jung Manor.

 

Seohyun felt so stupid to have packed her belongings to rest in Jung Manor, although she felt relieved that she didn’t have to come up with Mrs. Jung’s antics upon her and Yonghwa which wasn’t settled. “I guess that won’t be necessary if you double your work.”

 

Yonghwa clapped his hand, he was delighted that all that hard work he spent on writing those notes he had never done before was really worth it. Now he can rest in ease, once Seohyun leave, he planned to make that day entirely his with no one has the right to interrupt.

 

“I did say ‘double your work’ but I guess you really love working on this, no?” Seohyun worked on her satire, guessing wrongly of Yonghwa’s actions.

 

Ignoring her indirect ridicule, he couldn’t help but ask. “Are we done here?”

 

“Not quite,” Yonghwa’s jaw almost dropped to hear the unbelievable fact but he kept his jaw tight and faked his expression. “if you’re done with most of your tasks, then you’re coming with me for an errand for this project, now, prepare your bike.” She demanded in a monotonous tone, learning Yonghwa’s face, which turned into a vacant expression.


 

 Jin Woon, finally knew what it’s like, the feeling of the poor after several days of starvation.

 

He did the counting, five days in the airport and no sign of any form of contact, or not even slightest effort had been made from his family. Unfortunate to him that Mrs. Jung decided to wait for his call before she did hers, since she believed that Jin Woon stated himself that he would like to be independent throughout this whole new journey, he regretted so much of having said such trivial things that made his position at that moment really disastrous.

 

His only luck was there a free charging site that would at least maintain a possible connection between him, not that it might be a bigger chance, but at least that dummy sister of his might come to her senses and analysis an emergency occurring on his side, he had high hopes on her, but he didn’t know if he cling his hope on the right person or not.

 

However, mostly his mind that time was more to find a way to survive the day rather than finding a way to establish contact with his family and try to save himself, since the possibilities seemed thin to his knowledge, he had no other choice but to move on alone in that grand airport. Survival had never been his specialty, but at least he’s still in part of civilization and not in a forest.

 

Then again, he think being lost in the forest was not as bad as being lost in the airport, even though airport is a safe place overall (minus the theft he had been experiencing) but in the forest he could count on natural resources to live. In here, he has to pay for everything he wants to have, and clearly his shortage of money didn’t help at all, being the wealthy Jung member didn’t even help. It’s German, not Korea.

 

He opened up the zip of his zip bag and nonchalantly took a bite of his last piece of Mentos he had left, as he wondered what day was it, Wednesday, according to a black board showing flight arrival/departure. He lowered his head, closing his eyes, as mind played a flashback what he usually did on Wednesday back in Korea, watching his recently favorite drama Rooftop Prince at 7. Ah, how delightful those days was, if only he chose not to work abroad, he would still be watching the Lee Gak marrying the malicious Bu Yong.

 

In the midst of his lost thought, he realized someone was standing in front of him as he saw that someone’s black leather shoes, Geox, as he identified the brand of the shoes from their structure. But he wondered, who would come approach him while he’s alone in the airport? He was too hungry to think.

 

“Sir,” He called in English. From the deepness of the man’s voice and the cloth of his lower part, Jin Woon already knew who it was, the Security Guard. He tried to listen, but once again his hunger made him focus only on his stomach. “We would like to question you for a while, come with us.”

 

He learned that he said to come with him, but anywhere was better then the place he was in, where he’s stranded alone. Although he was playing hide and seek with the guards, Jin Woon at that moment didn’t feel the same fear anymore, only hunger, and hunger alone. He came up with a desperate conclusion that if he came along with the man, he might go into prison, but they could feed him the least whilst he could explain the situation later.

 

He was that desperate.

 

“Sure, take me anywhere. But please, if you have anything for me to eat even just a bit, that would be ecstatic.”

 

The security guards couldn’t understand his request, but they continued, “You could explain yourself in the office, now, come with us.”

 

He walked limply, with the guards walking beside him, leading him to the office they were talking about. But while he walked, he felt very giddy, his vision was unclear and all fuzzy, his body could no longer sustain him to stand straight, the emptiness in his stomach had taken effect on him. His feet no longer touched the ground as he realized it, but he didn’t have the energy to prevent it from happening.

 

Thud.

 

The guards who were walking two steps faster heard that thump sound, they immediately realized that Jin Woon was lying on the floor unconsciously. Their solid-trained expressions turned yellow to saw someone they thought was custody suddenly collapsed out of blue, this kind of emergency wasn’t something they’re trained for.

 

“Sir?! Sir?! Darn it, Erik, call for an emergency! Quick!” One of the guards commanded while trying to pick Jin Woon up, Erik, one the other hand, his hand transceiver to contact the emergency unit. He juxtaposed his right ear toward Jin Woon’s heart, it didn’t show that the man he just met was about to lose his pulse, but indeed the pulse was weak, due to the lack of nutrition Jin Woon had.

 

Jin Woon could only hear faint sounds and his eyes slowly closing themselves, he asked himself if it was the time for him to pay a visit to his father.

 

Is it…time?


 

“I’m not going, period.” Firmly she denied with a wave of dismissal came from her hand, Mrs. Jung’s request was too much for her even though it was a simple request to accompany her to a wedding invitation from another Jung household. Before, Mrs. Jung would always go into that kind of events with her husband without bothering her kids, but this time she needed a company, just anyone would do.

 

She didn’t know why, but she had the urge to invite Jessica along. She rarely met her relatives even in certain events where the whole family was supposed to come, it was an opportunity that Mrs. Jung couldn’t afford to miss.

 

“Come on, Jessica. It would be fun, I guarantee. There are buffets as well.” She cooed with whatever thing that came up in her mind. Usually this food bait works cleverly on Jessica, usually.

 

“Nice try, Mom. But still no, I’m not in the mood.” She denied once more, to her knowledge, Mrs. Jung would gave in at that point, on her second try.

 

But no, Mrs. Jung was determined to ask her out that night, not because she was that desperate to get a company, but Mr. Jung once reminded that Jessica needed to get along better with her relatives. Her options are open, but that wasn’t about Mrs. Jung only, it’s about Jessica and her family as well.

 

 She tried again, “Let’s just go, Jessica. It will be fun! I’m sure other Jungs at your age would be there as well, and we’ll leave in a brisk, it wouldn’t take long! If you’re tired, I’ll bring a pillow for you to sleep in the car.” Mrs. Jung tried every possibility that would move Jessica from her bed, playing with her cellphone nonchalantly as if refusing to have any contact with Mrs. Jung, she really didn’t want to go.

 

She groaned before she starts again, “Please, Mommy, stop. I’m not going and that’s final. If you in so much need of a friend, ask other brothers to go.”

Mrs. Jung was left with no more words, only the truth she had left up in her sleeve. “I don’t want to talk about this…but your father reminded me that you lack of communication with your relatives, even to your own siblings. Please, Jessica, just an eye contact with Jaesung, and you’re free to go wherever you want.”

 

She flinched, bit her lip in process even, at the mention of her father. She wasn’t in her best mood and bringing the topic of Mr. Jung in front of her at that time didn’t seem to be the brightest idea Mrs. Jung had in mind.

 

“Mommy, can you not use Daddy as a weapon?” her tone raised significantly along with her inquiry, she was tired at people mentioning Mr. Jung in front of her while knowing that it was her weakest point at that time.

 

Mrs. Jung was utterly surprised with Jessica’s question—which sounded like a challenge to her, even though she meant the other way. Mrs. Jung sighed in defeat, although she did everything she can to make Mr. Jung happy in the afterlife, to do something he couldn’t fulfill, but in the end, that heart of ice that Jessica has was thicker than she expected.

 

She didn’t want to enrage her further, not when she already thought ill of what Mrs. Jung had said. “Alright, stay in the house you may. I’m going now.” Mrs. Jung surrendered and escaped Jessica’s room, leaving the door slowly. As she was outside, she looked once again on Jessica’s pink door, hoping she would change her mind. She waited for five seconds, but indeed she was having her hopes too up high.

 

Few minutes later, Jessica could hear an engine of a car running, to her ears the car was running outside. She peeked through her window, and believed that her mother was really going alone, with Mr. Shin driving her. She thought Mrs. Jung would ask someone else to accompany her, until she realized that no other Jungs was around in the house. Ji Hoon was taking overtime due to load of works he has, Yunho and Yonghwa were out of nowhere, probably playing around with their girls (she really thought that girl Yonghwa brought was his girlfriend that he’s too shy to admit).

 

She felt a little bit guilty, and lonely.

Although it’s been a while since she felt this loneliness a couple of times after the death of Mr. Jung that changed everyone’s life, she’s still not used to be alone.

 

Not long after that, she once again heard a car’s engine sound, thinking—hoping, that it was her mother who might forget her belongings and was about to recollect the item, where she could accompany her and feel less lonelier, after all, Mrs. Jung did say she’s free to go anywhere she wanted if she went with her, she could find any make-up utilities that she wanted, although not needed.

 

But when she came toward the front door, the footsteps were different from Mrs. Jung, she could hear a rather loud thumping in every step. That wasn’t the way Mrs. Jung would walk, must be one of his brothers, thought her. She stopped her excitement and walked slower toward the front door, true enough, it was the least company she expected.

 

“I’m home.” Yunho informed as he opened the entrance of Jung Manor.

 

“Oh it’s you.” answered Jessica with an uninterested tone.

 

Judging from her tone and the look on her face, Yunho responded, “Sounds like I’m not the guest you’re waiting for.”

 

“Who said I’m waiting for someone?”

 

“Oh, you’re not? I thought you are. Well, it’s none of my concern if you are or not, where’s Mother?” asked Yunho as he opened up his leather jacket and put it on the hanger.

 

“Out with Mr. Shin to Jaesung Oppa’s wedding.” She tried to sound less informative, at least not to hurt herself for being selfish to stay in Jung Manor which she regretted.

 

“Alone?”

 

“Yep.”

 

“And you’re not accompanying her?”

 

“Why else would I be here?’

 

Yunho tut-tutted at Jessica’s answer, with a disappointment tinted in his face, which he didn’t try to hide at all to make Jessica learn her own mistake. Jessica knew and understood Yunho’s intention from annoying face of his, not that she would change her resolution to stay in the house, after spending seconds thinking, maybe going isn’t going to be worth it, too much energy for her. She turned facing her back on him, and walking toward her room slowly.

 

Thinking that Jessica was too oblivious upon his thoughts, he made it clear, “You should be ashamed of yourself, or having that ‘Jung’ along with your name.”

 

Jessica flipped, and shot her dreadful glare at Yunho. “Excuse me?”

 

“Leaving your mother alone like that when she needed you, and you called yourself an honorary member of Jung. Where’s you dignity, really?” He wasn’t intimidated one bit by Jessica’s icy look at him and challenged her back.

 

“I didn’t want to go and it’s your problem now? And how is this related to being a Jung? How irrelevant.” She answered with a slightly louder tone than what Yunho gave her.

 

“It is relevant, your cousin is having the time of his life and getting a new happy life you’re just sitting here, doing nothing? Shouldn’t you, as a Jung yourself, be happy for him and attend the most important event in his life? Or is it just a title for you?” Yunho struck back his little sister’s words with a sense, although to Jessica, he was blabbering for the sake of an argument.

 

“Who said I’m not happy? I’m happy for him! And being happy for him doesn’t mean I have to attend his wedding, mind you.” She lied, he barely remembered Jaesung’s face, moreover being happy for him, she didn’t know where the part was her business.

 

“And I suppose when you’re getting married, you’re fine if no one comes to your wedding, then?”

 

“Of c—” Jessica was about to retort, but she couldn’t. The attack Yunho executed right was right on the spot, after all, a wedding ceremony was meant to be attended, unless it had a reason to be secretive.

 

Lucky enough for Jessica, Yunho didn’t utilize his victory in the debate, for it wasn’t his first priority, nor coaxing Jessica was his intention. “That’s it, I’m going again.” Yunho collected his jacket and put it back on him.

 

“To where?” she didn’t know why that question was blurted from , it wasn’t like she cared, although part of her didn’t want to be alone.

 

“Where else would I be?”

 

Yunho opened the front door with a little emotion, but before he closed it with a slam, he stopped for a second, and gave Jessica a brief message before he goes. “Sica, you know, in these kind of moments, when our Mother just lost her loved one, you should understand why she’s so eager to ask you to come to this wedding, she wanted to fill the role our Father left, and I think you know that.”

 

Jessica paused, unable to answer Yunho. The latter didn’t wait as well, and closed the door just like that.

 

 

Now Jessica’s left alone, again.

 

And she felt even lonelier. 

 

For there were no one who wanted to stood by her and understood, mentally and physically.


 

 

Seororo's Frog File Monday,30-07-12

File #335

 

The Final Project’s Progress

 

  1. The Fate Of My Books! Brilliant.
  2. The Unexpected Outcome

 

 

  1. The Fate Of My Books! Brilliant.

 

So basically this one’s content is more of a ranting than diary writing, since I discovered that thanks to that blistered Jung Yonghwa, I couldn’t recognize my dear old books anymore. I never thought that his ignorance would come to this extent, very bewildering! I swore I never met someone who lacks that much of neatness, plus zero amount of diligence! I really, really want to ask Mrs. Jung what did she feed him.

 

Thanks to him, I have torn pages, wrinkles in each page, ARGH! I regretted so much for letting him borrow my books, although it’s partially my fault for ‘pushing’ those books to him even though he doesn’t seem put much interest when I give them those precious treasures of mine.

 

But still, can’t he have more responsibility? I helped his work by giving him the straightest and the most direct courses to finish our project. He should thank me instead repaying me with damaged books! Seriously!

 

Of course, I paid visit to my other team members to check if what they’ve done the same thing that Yonghwa did to my books, and the books they needed from me are still in pretty shape.

 

 

I want to sue him.

 

I really do.

 

I mean it.

 

Darn.

 

           2.The Unexpected Outcome

 

Although it came up with a tough price, that thick-skinned Yonghwa did a marvelous job. Okay, maybe marvelous is too much of a word for a man as ignorant as him, but despite his unbelievably annoying attitude, he did more than what I asked, although from his handwritings I could tell that he did it halfheartedly.

 

When I realized, and learned, he did quite a research, and when he said he had done it, he wasn’t lying, at least I’m relieved with that. He knew how to relate between Classical music and Pop music, although his interpretation, or rather, his appreciation with Classical music was kind of funny (if he really does appreciate it).

 

Thinking—doubting that this subject I picked might turn wrong, I tried to go deeper, by investigating how he worked all these from today’s interviews and questionnaires. He showed me that he was reluctant and tried to help as minimum as possible, but as an assistant, he didn’t disappoint. He knew what to ask, although people we asked mostly were girls, like they offered themselves to be questioned by Yonghwa, I wonder why, I couldn’t tell myself.

 

Either way, we did almost everything for collecting the ‘ingredients’ for the research, now that we have collected answers from people. Now’s the real work.

 

I wonder if Yonghwa could contribute just a little more,

 

That would be great.

 

But one is never to expect the impossible, after all, we’re talking about Yonghwa here.

 

De Arimasu~

 

Signed, Seo Joo Hyun

 

Author's Note : I hope I'm ready to get back to the writing world :)