Departure

Harmony Of Jung Family

 

Sunshine beamed from the sky of Seoul, letting the warming yet soothing temperature of The Capital bathed her body, for the last time before that girl leave the place. Today, one of Jung siblings is going to leave this country and go to Singapore for good, for her education, for her dreams. She's feeling rather anxious and tense, but keep telling herself that she's readyshe must be, to think she has planned this all along. She wanted this.

 

“Are you ready to leave, no more things to add?” Mrs. Jung asked, with all Jung Manor's servants lifted all her belongings that her mom, told her that she should bring.

 

She sighed in disappointment, even until the end, her mother still had to take part of what she should bring, she had no idea why she always does that, weighing her belongings if she were to go somewhere abroad. Originally, she planned to bring one suitcase, and that's it. Thanks to her mom, two more had to come along, she told her it would only trouble her but Mrs. Jung insisted they would come useful, at the end of their agreement, Mrs. Jung had ordered the baggage claim of her flight to take it straight where she's going to stay, York Hotel.

 

“That's about it, Mom. Thanks for asking.” she replied sarcastically.

 

“Don't roll your eyes on me, young lady. I know you're not happy with my idea but you'll never know what'll happen there.” she lectured her offspring with hands on her hips

 

“Yeah, yeah, I know. Can I go now?” Her right foot was tapping on the ground impatiently, she checked her Cartier watch again and again, it will only take an hour until her flight left, and the ride itself would take 45 minutes alone.

 

“Wait, your father and your siblings aren't here yet. Please wait for a while.”

 

“For crap's sake they're taking forever. I don't plan to miss my flight, Mom.” She complained, in fact they took a longer time to shower and get dressed than the girl.

 

“Neither do I. Blame your brothers for being slow.”

 

“Brothers and sister.” she corrected, “As far as I know, she's the slowest, in everything. Even I can't stand shopping with her anymore, I bet she's still sleeping right now.” she explained half-heartedly, thinking about her only sister made her feel like throwing up.

 

“Can't blame her, she got her reasons.” Mrs. Jung defended, but for the young lady it was another excuse to spoil her sister.

 

“Look who's coming, I'm going to arrange your stuff, go talk to them, nicely.” Mrs. Jung said, as her brothers come out from Jung Manor on their casual wrappers. Only the eldest is neatly dressed in suit, she supposed he's going to work, his daily schedule.

 

“Maknae! Why are you so early? I'm not even half-prepared when you're done with everything.” Jin Woon complained at the girl, earning himself an unpleasant pout from his little sister.

 

“Jin Woon Oppa! If I'm late for my flight you're the first one I'll kill. I know you're the one who's latest!” she whined while raising her index finger and a venomous glare towards her brother, disobeying her mother's command when she from the start. Her brother backed off in a comical manner, he didn't show any sign of fear.

 

“Scary~” he teased playfully. The younger girl picked up a pace and pulled his ear hardly. “Ou—ouch! No violence please—Okay okay I'm sorry!! Hey!” his little sister released her pinch to his ear, leaving a red mark on his right ear. She smirked victoriously, “Serves you right.”

 

“Can't you stop doing that? It hurts a lot. Your hands are, as I always say, has some strength. What will I do if your pull it too hard and my ear got off from my head?” his sister threatened with another pre-pinch posture, this time he took it seriously and walked back as far as he can. “Look, I'm not the only one here who's late, okay! I was just got unlucky I was the last to come out.”

 

“Then you guys better have a good excuse or else I won't come back here.”

 

“I was strumming my guitar, problem?” The fourth began.

 

“Except you, Jung Yonghwa.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“And you?” The third brother she just pinched has his turn.

 

“Me? I just woke up late.” The girl was about to take off her heels and throw at his face, but before she manage to do it, her brother came off with a back-up reason. “Okay, kidding, I was just busy looking for jobs.”

 

She raised her eyebrows. “You? Looking for jobs? Out of all siblings? Really, looking?”

 

“You really sound humiliating. FYI I'm twenty-two, dongsaeng, I'm aging and It is time for me to look for jobs, it's natural.” he boasted himself proudly, replied with a scoff from his younger sister.

 

“Just don't go crying into Mommy's arm when you fail. We're talking about you, after all.” she disgraced, she looked away from the third and fixed her eyes to the eldest. “I suppose your reason would be—oh let, me.” she paced to the eldest who was busy tidying his red plaid tie, she threw off his hands and put her hands on his tie, fixing it swiftly and deftly.

 

She flipped the tie here and there, and patted it once she's done. “There, good as new.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

“Always happy to be your service, Ji Hoon Oppa.” she smiled gracefully to her brother, her elder brother reward her with a quick peck on her forehead.

 

“But remember, that's the last time I'll fix your tie.” now she's rewarded with a frown. “I wonder who'll replace my role.”

 

“There's always Mom and Jess—there's mom, and I might learn myself how to fix it.” He revised before he could spell out her name, he's not going to spit out the impossible.

 

“Good, I'm glad I don't have another resposibility when I come back.” her mood brightened as she's finished with the eldest, now is up to the second to keep her mood foul or better.

 

“Yunho Oppa, may I listen to your excuse, while we're at it? Please make it quick.” she tried to sound sweetly as she can be, to her favorite brother.

 

The second brother didn't budge nor listened to the youngest's question. Busy scribbling a paper with a pen.

 

“Yunho Oppa!” she raised her voice to get his attention badly.

 

“Wait! I'm still busy writing here!”

 

“Write?! Your youngest sister is going faraway and for a long long time and out of all moments you chose writing? Gosh, I'm really leaving right now!” she turned away from her brothers and tried to run to the car with temper, but she was stopped by a pull on her hand.

 

“I'm writing questions I have to ask you, dummy.”

 

She blushed in embarassment, he's always her favorite.


“Have you prepared your clothings? Have you checked your hotel room and contacted them? What's your hotel name again, exactly? How many hours you'll be inside the plane? Do you have my number? You do have an international phone right? Do you have enough stocks of food and beverages? Do you bring your medicines along—” more and more questions that the younger girl did not wish to hear any longer, sometimes his excessive concern was too much for her to bear. Honestly speaking, she regretted she told him to hurry, if she could choose, she'd just keep him busy writing.

 

“Oppa, that's enough.” one, short and quiet command from his younger sister manage to shush him.

 

“...Sorry.”

 

“No wonder you're busy.” she commented with a grin, she's really happy that until the the end, her brother still chose to get busy, for her.

 

“How could I not? My sister is leaving. Enough said.” he replied shortly, with full meaning.

 

“You didn't ask tons of questions when Unnie went to America at that time.” she reminded her sibling.

 

“That..is different, she's there for vacation and only for a week, while your purpose is for study and you'll stay there for a year, entirely different.”

 

“Well, if she stays in Singapore for a year, will you do the same for her?”

 

Yunho was about to open his mouth, but when he thought about it, he realized he can't lie to his little sister. “Okay, you win, I only do this for you.”

 

“You're so sweet when you're being honest.” she pecked his cheek playfully. “I'll be fine, besides I'm not alone there, Oppa. Victoria Unnie and Sulli are waiting for me there. What could happen?” she assured her brother while caressing his cheek.

 

“Don't you watch Taken? Who knows there are bad guys in Singapore trying to take advantage upon you.” Yunho prejudiced based on an American action movie.

 

The younger girl sighed depressedly, “...You watch too much movies.”

 

“Hey, it's a good movie, alright. Never gets old.”

 

She nodded nonchalantly, “Yes it is, now can you let me go?” hearing the word “let go” stung Yunho's heart badly, if he could he would accompany there for a year, not that he has a job here anyway.

 

“I will never let go of you.” he pulled her into his embrace, tightly with a wish she wouldn't go.

 

Cheesy.” she teased while enjoying the hug.

 

“You smiled, though.” he his little sister's long brown hair lovingly, the two fell in deep silence with their eyes closed, feeling each other's warmth mixed with the air of summer in Seoul. Few seconds have passed and Krystal was already feeling uneasy, thinking the hug might take longer if she continued to stay like this.

 

“Okay, Oppa, please let go off me.” the two siblings broke the hug, the older one's face became full of grief, that's their last hug until they do another one on who knows when. He's going to miss it so much.

 

“Can I come with you?” he started to bargain.

 

“Nope.” she rejected shortly.

 

“Can I stay in Singapore for a day?” he continued.

 

“Na-ah.”

 

“Can I drive you to the airport?”

 

“Not a chance. Oppa, stop trying, please.”

 

“Fine, you're good to go, just make sure you contact me when you're there, okay? No message, call me, or, Skype me, whatever's good for you.”

 

She nodded approvingly, she will really do it, the movie reference “Taken” did get onto her mind after all. She smiled at him and turned around to her car, but once more, Yunho halted her.

 

“Krystal.”

 

“Mhm?” she turned her head around.

 

“Do you really have to go?”

 

She grinned happily as she approached her older brother once more, pecked his cheek once again.

 

 


 

“We're done right? My stuff is already inside the car, farewell has been done, I'm all set, Mom.” Krystal said as she approached her mother who was busy arranging the suitcases inside the SUV, it's really took a lot of space, considering the sizes is not so friendly.

 

“Wait a moment,” Mrs. Jung turned from the suitcases and looked at her youngers daughter. “You haven't say goodbye to your only sister, she might not be pleased if she found you skedaddle just like that.” Krystal groaned, she knew this was coming and she already plan to leave as soon as she's done with her brothers.

 

“Your father isn't ready to leave you yet either, have patience.” Mrs. Jung turned away and went back on Krystal's suitcases, the maknae almost did a facepalm, if she's going to wait for that girl to get dressed, that means she'll have to wait until the plane fly without her, and she could not let that happen, not for the umpteenth time.

 

“Stal.” a sleepy-sounded voice called her from her back, speak of the devil, the voice she was expecting to hear ten minutes ago. Not really expecting, but she hoped she had heard it earlier, the voice that kept her waiting.

 

Still with her pink pajamas and white sloppers, Jessica stood half-asleep while her eyes were narrowed, she hasn't fully awake yet and she's definitely going to pass out any sooner.

 

“You're up early.” she said whist yawning, seemed uninterested to her little sister's farewell and not putting a slightest effort to look worried.

 

“And you're up late, as always.”

 

Then the two gazed at each other without words, the two have never been in good terms with each other and they often disagree with each other's opinion. The others could tell that the silence between them was something stern and uptight, as they also could felt the tension between their eye contact. None of them didn't show any sign of care to each other, if they can have their own way, Jessica would stay in bed for another few hours without giving a single care to the world while Krystal would just go to the airport and have her own life there. Inside, they were sure they wouldn't feel like missing anyone.

 

“Now, now, Sica, your little sister is leaving, say something nice to her.” Mr. Jung came out from the house, it was he who woke Jessica, everyone can judge that by seeing Jessica's cold stare at him and her lips curved up unhappily, Krystal knew Jessica wouldn't wake up on her own, she realized her sleepyhead sister wouldn't bother to say goodbye.

 

“If you don't want to, then it's all right. I'm not that desperate to ask for your farewell. I'll be back though, have fun while it lasts.” Krystal said coldly, with her eyebrows connected and her nostrils flaring up.

 

But Jessica put up a smile, a genuine one to her sister, which made Krystal caught up in surprise.

 

“You're such a meanie, Stal. I'm older than you, you know? That's kind of rude, what you said there.” Jessica stated, but her statement only added fuel onto the fire inside Krystal, until the end, Jessica stayed arrogant towards her.

 

“Sica...please.” Mr. Jung called her name, sounded very pleading.

 

Jessica turned her head around to see her father. “Yes, Daddy. I'm just getting started.” Jessica complained, “After all, she's my little sister. I'm not that heartless.” she fixed her eyes to Krystal again and started walk slowly to her. Krystal had an instict to back off and put her arms defending her body, who knows what Jessica might do to her.

 

“Give me a hug.” she commanded her little sister.

 

“What?” she didn't believe what she just heard.

 

“I said, give me a hug, Stal.”

 

Krystal loosened the stiffness of her body and walked hesitantly to Jessica, still unsure that Jessica meant what she said or not. It wasn't the first time Jessica asked for a hug, but she did it only once in a month when she needed some warmth from her little sister which is the contrary of her 'icy' attitude. However, that's the only times that Krystal enjoys being with her.

 

Jessica wrapped her arms around Krystal and gave her a tight hug, much like Yunho's, the only difference was this hug felt friendly, not securing.

 

“Be back soon, okay? It might not get interesting that you're not here anymore. Don't have all the fun there.” Jessica sighed. She was feeling rather sad that her only little sister left, no matter how frequent they quarrel.

 

“..Okay, unnie. Don't mess up with my room, okay?” Krystal was speechless, she couldn't come up with parting words, after all, it's her first time to separate with her sister for a long time.

 

 

“Hey, nice idea there! Now that you're away, your room is all mine to mess with, really, nice idea, Stal.” Krystal broke the hug and punched Jessica's shoulder lightly. The other siblings giggled to see how funny the two could be, while their parents smiled brightly, no matter how bad their relationship can be, they're still siblings, thought them.

 

Krystal turned to his father, “Daddy, there isn't much time left for me to say goodbye but I promise I'll make you proud when I get back here.”

 

Her father smiled broadly to see how her youngest daughter had grown up a lot and being so confident, he knew Krystal would make him proud, she always has. But, he offered his pinky, something he always does when Krystal or he promises something, “Promise?”

 

Krystal tangled her pinky with her father's and connected their thumbs. “Promise, Daddy.” afterwards, Krystal was brought into another hug and she was showered with kisses all around her face. “Take care of yourself.”

 

“I will.” she let go of her father and waved her hands to her family, at the same time walked slowly away from them. Her mother had arranged the suitcases so it would fit in the car. “Are you done, Mom?”

 

“Yes I am, now, you're good to go. Don't forget to—”

 

“I'm not forgetting anything,” Krystal interrupted before her mother's lecture become far and wide. “I have checked everything with Yunho Oppa.”

 

“Oh well, if you say so, goodbye sweetie.” she kissed her daughter on her forehead. Mrs. Jung was about to add another reminder, “Oh, have you—”

 

“Yes I have, Yunho Oppa did.” she rebutted.

 

“Like mother like son, huh?”


 

Krystal sighed as she entered the car only with her chauffeur, many things that don't really happen, out of all times, happened on her farewell. But what caught her most was Jessica's hug, she still couldn't believe her cold sister would do that, it may be part of her father's order, but she couldn't say she's not happy with it.

 

All of sudden, she had an urge to come back and stay at the house, that she sure she would miss.

 

But Jung Manor was already out of her sight and none of her siblings were visible anymore. She couldn't turn back, she had to stick with what she decided.

 

Then, she decided to take out her diary and write what happened on her farewell.

 

Dear Diary,

 

Today is the day that I left my home for my study in Singapore, where I got the scholarship to go to the college there. Sulli and Victoria Unnie must be there waiting for me. I'm coming soon, girls.

 

I...feel a little empty when I left Jung Manor, it's like there's part of me which refused to leave, but I had to go, if I were to prove I'm the worthy daughter to my parents. I must thank them by giving them the best.

 

However, something really peculiar happened today.

 

Jessica Unnie hugged me? That's news.

 

I wonder if she will really miss me or she's just saying what daddy wanted her to say?

 

But I liked that hug. No matter how I think of it, I want more of it. It's something I don't get everyday.

 

Anyway, today there's only you and me...well with Victoria Unnie and Sulli. No more of Jungs, just us.

 

Of course I didn't forget to pack my heart-shaped candies.

 

I'm going to do better than my best in Spore! Himnae, Krystal Jung! :)

 

She took her polaroid camera and took a photo of herself, sticking the photo with a glue on her diary and titled it.

 

"Departure Of The Youngest."

 

Out of nowhere, a thought appeared inside her mind after she's done with her diary.

 

No more tidying Ji Hoon's tie, no more getting an ultra protection from Yunho, no more of Jin Woon's clumsy joke, no more listening to Yonghwa's guitar and no more Jessica's orders and whimpers.

 

It's just Krystal Jung, and Krystal Jung alone.

 

Author's Note :

 

The first chapter! Hope you readers like it! :D