Virtues

Never Forget Me

                Unlocking my old apartment, I entered and shut the door behind me. The place was dark aside from the soft glow from the moon’s light and a faint glow from under the door that lead to my bedroom. Warily, I looked around the apartment as I took a step forward. I stopped in my tracks as I saw a dark figure rise slowly from the couch. It stalked towards me slowly, the only sound in the room being its soft footsteps.

                “Eunji?” My voice cracked as I called into the dark room. No answer. I shuffled closer to the wall, breaths becoming jagged, and I frantically patted the wall to find the light switch. “Eunji this isn’t funny, come on.” Still no answer from the figure as it came closer. My fingers brushed along the light switch and I flicked it on. The room illuminated and I found that the creepy figure was standing not more than a foot away from me. I looked up and sighed in relief.

                “Hey Ji-Ji.” Chanhee smirked at me and I scoffed at him.

                “You are such an .” I used all my force to push him back and I stormed away from him, tossing my purse on the kitchen table and opening the cupboards to get a glass.

                “Come on, Jihyun. Don’t be like that.” Completely ignoring him, I filled my glass with water and walked past him, taking a seat on my couch. I sat silently for a while, sipping at the cold, tasteless drink, looking out the window. I felt the cushion near me deflate with a new weight on it and I silently sighed. “You shouldn’t be so freaked out all the time, Ji-Ji.”

                “Where’s Eunji?” Ignoring his comment, I stood up and began to walk towards my best friend’s room. I heard a heavy sigh behind me and I cringed.

                “She’s gone.” I looked back at him to see him spread out, laying on my couch.

                “What do you mean ‘She’s gone,’?” He shrugged and laced his fingers together over his chest.

                “She moved out after you left with those Chinese guys. She said something about that it would be easier to look after a smaller place while she’s on her own.” I shook my head, not turning back to the male. “You know, it’s funny.” I turned to find him sitting up again. “After she left, I bought the apartment. I find myself spending more nights here than at the dorm. I guess it just became normal after we started dating.”

                “Yeah, well, we’re not dating now. You can go to your own place and stay out of mine.”

                “You see, that’s the thing. We never actually broke up. Therefore, you can’t legitimately say that.” He looked up at me as he smirked.

                “Did I not make it clear enough the last few times then?” I spat at the male and he held up his hands with wide eyes.

                “I’m not trying to start a fight Ji-Ji. Let’s just talk, okay?” He offered and I squinted my eyes, scrutinizing him, before sighing and sitting down on the couch as far from him as possible. Chanhee scooted next to me, but left a few inches in distance. We sat in silence for another while before he sighed and leaned back. “I didn’t cheat on you and you know it.”

                “Oh really?” I rolled my eyes and rested my chin in my hand and my elbow on my knee.

                “Yes really. She asked me out to dinner, and I thought it was harmless, so I agreed.”

                “Before you told me that you went out with the other guys too.” Upon hearing his sigh, I nodded. “That’s what I thought. I have to get back to my home. My guys need me.” I stood up and started to walk, but Chanhee caught my wrist and turned me around.

                “You know I love you Jihyun! Look at me and try to convince yourself that I’m lying.” My eyes flickered over his face and I sighed. “See? You can’t even lie to yourself to make it easier to leave. You know I love you and you still love me. If you didn’t, you wouldn’t have come.” He grip loosened and he guided me back to the couch. As I sat back down, his arm wrapped around my shoulder and brought me to his chest. He softly caressed my back with one hand while gently lifting my face to his with the other. “We got over a trust issue once before. We can do this again.”

                “But that’s the thing. We shouldn’t be having so many issues!” I sat up and he took my face in his hands.

                “If we have to do this a hundred times, I will. Ji-Ji, baby girl, I’m not going to lose you again. It was hell for me last time and its hell for me now. Just give me a chance.”

                “The thing is, Chanhee, you lost me the moment she didn’t deny you being with her.” I replied sadly and stood up, walking softly to the kitchen. Just before I could grab my bag, my body was turned and Chanhee fiercely pressed his lips against mine. My knees became weak and I held to his chest for support. As his hands s around my waist, he pulled back.

                “You read the note with the gift right?” I nodded, as I clutched to his shirt tighter, trying not to fall. He cupped my face and leaned in, pressing his lips gently against mine. He slowly kissed his way down my neck as I stood frozen.  He slipped his fingers just under the hem of my shirt and began lifting the fabric up. I shook my head, coming back to my senses, and pushed him back.

                “Chanhee, stop. I really have to get back. They need me a lot more than you realize.” He sadly looked into my eyes as I averted my gaze to my hands on his chest. He covered my hands with his and pressed them to his chest.

                “Just answer me truthfully, okay sweetie?” He pleaded softly and I nodded. Chanhee took my hands from his chest and led me back to the couch. We sat next to each other and I fiddled with the hem of my skirt. “How many of them have you slept with so far?”

                “None.” I looked at Chanhee to find him scrutinizing my answer. He scoffed and took my face in his hands.

                “Now, that’s a lie. You know that too, don’t you?” Chanhee pulled me forcefully to him, and I shot my hand out for support, keeping from collapsing on his lap. “You already slept with at least one of them, isn’t that right?” I shook my head, tears coming to my eyes and he sneered. “You’re unbelievable.” He pushed me back with malice in his eyes and I landed back on the cushions. I fearfully watched as he shot up and paced, a hand running through his hair. “You slept with one of them, didn’t you?” I shook my head again, tears now falling freely. “Do you really think you can throw me aside so easily? Huh?!” He yelled at me and I cringed back. When did he get so mean? The only other time I saw this was when he was hurt over the article and my accusing him last time we broke up. Upon seeing that I wasn’t giving him an answer, he stormed forward.

                “I slept with Kris, alright?!” I cried out in a panic before I covered my mouth with my hands. He stopped and scoffed, shaking his head slightly.

                “I knew it.” He let out a large huff of hair before running his fingers through his hair again.

                “You don’t understand, Chanhee. He was-” Chanhee stormed forward and slammed his hands on either side of my shoulders against the couch, silencing me.

                “No, you don’t understand. I didn’t actually sleep with that girl. I just took her out to dinner. You did much worse because you actually ed that piece of SM seems to think is a leader.” Glaring at me, he grabbed my face and turned me to look back at him. “Judging from his appearance, he likes control and will do anything to keep it. Is that what you like then? You were bored of with me so you went and got ed senseless by one who would dominate you?” I shook my head as more tears flowed and tried to push him off, but he just took my wrists and pulled me up to stand. I didn’t know what he was going to do, but I found myself tearing up and his harshness. He angrily dragged me away from the couch and towards the kitchen.

                “Chanhee, just let me go, I thought you loved me.” I cried to him and I saw a flicker of pain flash across his face as he turned to me. That pain was quickly replaced by pure fury.

                “And you know what? I thought you loved me. But that apparently disappeared when you decided to get ed by Kris!” As he yelled, he pushed me back, letting go of my wrists, and I fell to the floor. I hissed as my forehead came in contact with the corner of a wall. I held the pained spot and looked up to Chanhee who was on the verge of tears.

                “Just listen to me. Please.” My words came out shakily and I coughed to try and bring back my strength in my voice.

                “Fine, what the hell is it?!” He shouted and I flinched back.

                “Kris took my ity.” I whispered, barely audible.

                “Run that by me again?” Chanhee kneeled in front of me, took my face in his hands, and I fearfully met his gaze. “How could he when we’ve been having since we met?”

                “I met him a long time before I met you. He took my ity. That’s the only time I slept with him. Please, you have to understand that-”

                “Lying through your teeth.” He cut me off and I sadly looked down. He stood up and huffed an annoyed sigh as he gathered his stuff to leave. “Call me when you want someone real back in your life.” As the front door slammed shut, I sat up, letting my tears silently fall. Shifting my gaze from the floor, I looked over to the door that led to my bedroom. With great effort, I stood up and nervously walked to towards it.

                I opened the door and my eyes widened at the sight. Candles flickered from their places all around me room, giving off the soft, golden glow that I noticed earlier. Rose petals graced the floor and scattered the bedding. I walked to the white bedding, picking up a few petals and looking them over.

                “If we hadn’t fought, you hoped to get me here, didn’t you?” I laughed dryly and blew out all of the candles before slipping under the bedding. I took in a deep breath, senses overwhelmed with my favorite candle scent, and I looked over to the pictures on the nightstand. Reaching over, I ran my fingers over Chanhee’s face in the photo of us at Lotte World. “It never was a virtue of ours to listen, was it?” My voice came out hoarse and I let my hand fall as exhaustion took over me and I fell asleep.

---

A/N:

Here you guys go!

Yeah, I'm sorry for everyone who wanted Chunji and Jihyun back together, but I have a plan! A rocky plan, but a plan nonetheless!

Thank you guys so much for everything!

Love,

~ Lynn