Where the Family Begins

Never Forget Me

A / N: At the moment, everything that is italicized and between "--                --" are flashback moments

I hope you enjoy the first chapter!!

---

 

                --             “That doesn’t matter right now anyways. Just know that I don’t usually do this.”

                “Excuse me sir, but do what exactly?”

                “Offer you not only a job, but a whole new life.” I raised an eyebrow at his cheesy salesman line. “TOP Media knew that their contract with you was ending soon and you had one of two options: being transferred to another company over here or returning to the United States.” I nodded, trying to determine where he was going with is cryptic rant. “I’m here to offer you the first.” I nodded, sighing, immediately knowing my answer. “Now, I know from that look and from what other companies have mentioned to me, and I’m offering you a temporary position where, at the end of it, you can choose whether to stay or whether to go.” My eyes locked with the older man that spoke. “We are aware that you were a part time dance instructor and vocal coach back in Colorado for a high school’s theatrical department. How would you feel about being able to do that as well as being a photographer?”

                “Honestly it would be great, but if this conversation his heading where I think it is, then you’re a representative from SM Entertainment, and I would be in for a lot of stress and too many things going on at once, the notorious things to happen in your company.” He laughed lightly, despite the obvious tension in the room, and shook his head.

                “This offer for you, Miss Park, involves being all of what I just mentioned to just one group. You will be exclusive to one group during this first month period, then you can either choose to leave or stay, and if you stay you can remain exclusive to that group, switch groups, or you can balance multiple groups. It will all be up to you.” He paused, searching my figure for any kind of affirmation. “I’ll let you have the week to think it over. Just remember it will be a one month situation once we get everything in order. Your contract here doesn’t end until May. Then, should you choose to join the family, you will start your one month period. Please take this time to think my offer over.” He stood up then, bowed, and placed a packet on my desk, exiting with the other silent man.                --

                The reason I’m now standing in front of the office building of South Korea’s largest entertainment group, SM. The several story building cast a dark shadow over my face as I looked up at the countless windows. I felt my hands shaking as my eyes scanned the building, racking my body in nervousness. I didn’t like huge entertainment groups. So why did I even come here in the first place?

                --                “Jihyun, think seriously about this. I’ve already sign with JYP for when my contract is up, and you need to sort yourself out. SM offered the best deal out of everything. You know that.” Eunji chided sternly as she looked over the packet Lee Soo Man himself had left me. Though, I had no idea it was him when we were in my office.

                “You know, she’s right Ji-Ji. He’s also offering a one-month water-testing period. After that you can choose to leave.” I looked at Chanhee next to me, and shook my head slightly. “I’d take it if I were you.”

                “See? You’re boyfriend makes more sense than you.” She smirked at the two of us and I rolled my eyes.

                “Ji-Ji, what’s the worst they can do? Ship you overseas?” Chanhee gave me a sideways look and my eyes immediately widened like a baby deer’s.

                “Knock on wood!” I blurted out, and pushed him up. “Go! Knock on wood! Right now!”

                “What the hell are you talking about?” He looked at me in complete confusion.

                “You just jinxed it! Go knock on wood, it’ll negate it!” I clasped my hands together, begging him as best as I could manage. His eyes softened slightly, but he sat back down next to me wrapping me in his embrace.

                “You and your silly superstitions. You’ll be fine. They won’t ship you anywhere.”

                “Skinship!” Eunji stated as she sipped her coffee nonchalantly.

                “Yeah, anyways.” I reached for the packet and sighed in defeat. “I guess I’ll try it. A month couldn’t be that bad right?”

                “That’s my girl.” Chanhee pecked my cheek before Eunji could tell him not to, and he grinned triumphantly.

                “I’ll take Monday off to go figure everything out over there. We’re just waiting for the prints to return now anyways.” Glaring at my two best friends, I stood up and skulked to my room.                --

                Taking in a deep breath, I took hold of the building’s door and walked through to the receptionist. She was on the phone, grumbling to someone who apparently hadn’t gotten a certain shipment in yet or some such thing. Her face was rested on her cheek as she stared blankly at the screen, still arguing with the person on the phone. I fretfully strode up to the desk and tucked my hair behind my ear, looking around at my surroundings, patiently waiting for her. I had all day, and apparently she did too. Another five minutes passed before she angrily shoved the phone back onto the receiver and looked up with a twitching eyebrow of annoyance.

                “Oh! You’re Miss Park Hiyun, am I correct?” The receptionist surprised me with her sudden bubbly outburst. Slowly nodding, I cocked an eyebrow at her strange behavior. “Take that elevator to the top floor and it will be the door all the way down on the right hand side. Welcome to the family!” She chittered and I took a small map as I followed her directions. Stepping into the elevator I began to study the map, trying to memorize the layout.

                “Oh! Hello there! I haven’t seen you around here before, are you new?” I looked up with an uninterested expression at the man who entered just after me.

                “Possibly. I’m deciding today whether this job is suited for me or not. What about you?” He just laughed at my answer and nodded.

                “I already work here, just need to pop by Lee Soo Man’s office to pick something up. Where are you headed?”

                “Same place.” I grumbled, resting my head against the wall of the elevator. How I wished Chanhee was with me right now to keep this random man from bugging me. Sighing, I looked back momentarily, only to jump at the sight. The man was eyeing me curiously. “What are you looking at?” His lips pulled into a smirk and he shook his head, look straight forward. ‘Weirdo.’ I mentally groaned, but was momentarily thankful as the doors opened. Stepping out into the hallway, I quickly made my way down, knowing that the weird guy form the elevator was still watching me as he sauntered behind me. I paused at the door the receptionist told me, and knocked on the door. Hearing a conformation on the other side, I opened the door.

                “Ah! Miss Park! Welcome!” Lee Soo Man and I shook hands before he smiled at the other man. “I see you’ve already become acquainted with one of our stars!” He chirped happily as he returned to his desk, and picked up a box. “Here Jung-soo.” The older man handed the box to the creepy guy from earlier.

                “I think I’ll be seeing you quite a bit around here. Miss… Park, was it?” He smiled at me and I nodded. “We share a last name; you should be easy to remember.”

                “I’m sure.” I returned my gaze to my packet as he left the room.

                “You have no idea who that was, do you?” I met my eyes with the man who was offering me a whole new life, and I shook my head. “I’ll introduce you later. On to business,” He paused, sat down, and stared seriously across the desk at me. “Have you thought about the offer at all?”

                “I have, for quite a while, and I have decided to accept the offer. I will stay the one month with the group I’m assigned to, and upon the end of the time limit will take a continuation of my job into consideration, should you choose to allow me to stay.” I set the packet he previously gave me on the table and he smiled warmly.

                “Good! I hoped you’d agree.” He brought out a pile of paper work and started to explain each section of the agreement. A couple of hours passed by the time he finished personally going over my contract and I signed immediately, wanting it to be over with. “Welcome to the family Miss Park!” His smile was comforting my nerves as he packed away the papers and stood up. “Come May, when you contract with TOP Media expires, you will begin your work. For now though, let’s introduce you to the rest of your new family.” I stood up with him, and followed wherever he took me. “First, you’ll meet Super Junior, they just returned from Singapore and are still training.” He proudly smiled as he led me to what appeared to be a dance practice room. I entered after my future boss, and nervously looked around. My eyes fell on the weirdo from earlier, and I laughed to myself. “Boys!” He called and they turned to us. “Come meet the new addition, Park Jihyun.” They all joined together in a line and shouted out their introduction, I just shrunk in my spot, screaming at myself in my head for taking the job.

                “Hi, Cho Kyuhyun.” A very evil looking man stepped forward and looked at Lee Soo Man. “Very pretty girl, is she the one working with us?” My eyes widened at his comment and glanced between Jung-soo and my future boss, hoping it wasn’t true. The older man shook his head and I cried with joy in my mind. “Sad, who is she working with?”

                “The newest group, so she’ll have a lot to deal with.”

                “Oh, well, maybe after that then.” He smiled winked at me and returned to the other guys.

                “Come, Miss Park, you have plenty more people to meet.” As soon as he spoke, I was out the door, and into the hallway. He followed me with a worried look on his older face. “Are you alright?”

                “Just nervous and a little intimidated.” I honestly admitted, looked meekly up into his eyes.

                “Relax, most of them won’t bite. If I were you though, be careful around the girls.” I cocked my head at him and he laughed. “Word is that you’re dating Chunji from Teen Top. I bet a lot of my girls are jealous of you.” I laughed lightly as he led me down and introduced me to more groups. After meeting Girls Generation, F(x), and SHINee, he led me down the hall, but stopped in front of the door. “This is the last group you’ll be meeting with, and in the part of May you’ll be with us you will be with all of them, but after their showcase, you’ll leave with one set of the group to China. This, Miss Park, is who your starting SM family will be.”

 

---

A / N:

Had to get the boring things out of the way right out of the gate. I hope this doesn't deter you from continuing with this story! <3