Chapter 5

Sacrifice

 

Kwangmin’s POV

 

I knew I couldn’t avoid them forever. My parents had been constantly showing concern for me for the past two weeks since they arrived. I was even shocked when one of the maids handed me a homemade lunch prepared by my mom for me to bring to school. My friends were surprised too when I brought it out in the cafeteria.

 

“Kwangmin...homemade lunch...don’t tell me you have a girlfriend?!” I had expected this idiotic Minwoo to say something like that.

 

“No silly! It was prepared by my mom.” I said in an irritated manner as I opened the lid. The food inside was neatly arranged and it was mouth-watering.

 

“Look, Kwangmin has tears in his eyes,” Jungmin-hyung teased but I didn’t care. It was my first time to eat something prepared by my mom to school. And it was delicious.

 

That night, I decided to eat dinner with them. Almost all of them were surprised but they tried to hide it as much as they can. I know that they wanted to act normal for me. I’m actually quite thankful because they weren’t rushing my feelings.

 

“Kwangmin-ah, just in time for dinner. Take your seat,” my father said with a smile on his face. From the corner of my eyes, I could see a small smile from Youngmin too. Beside him was Donghyun-hyung. He became a part of our family now which I didn’t like because he’s a stranger to me. Does he really have to be beside Youngmin 24/7?

 

I sat silently on the right side of the table beside my mother.

 

“How was school?” she asked me.

 

“Good,” I replied shortly. I wanted to thank her for the delicious lunch but I couldn’t bring myself to.

 

They continued talking merrily during dinner. I would reply with a simple nod and tried to limit my responses. We were almost done when my father called my attention again. He looked a bit hesitant.

 

“Kwangmin-ah, we want to tell you that...Youngmin would be coming to your school starting on Monday.”

 

I accidentally dropped my eating utensils which made a loud clanking noise in my plate. Youngmin jumped a little due to shock but quickly brought his head down.

 

My mom gave a nervous laugh as she tried to act like nothing happened, “Uhm...I know it’s quite surprising. Since you will be in the same class-“

 

“We’ll be in the same class?!” I cut my mom off. I know it was rude but I can’t control my emotions!

 

“Yes, isn’t that nice? We want you to guide him and keep an eye on your hyung okay?”

 

“How can he even keep up with the lesson when he was sick all the time?!” my stubborn mind refused to accept it easily...that Youngmin would be in the same school and same class with me.

 

“Kwangmin-ssi,” it was Donghyun-hyung who answered and I was a bit surprised because it was my first time hearing his voice. “Youngmin went through home-schooling during the time that he was sick. He had also taken the entrance exam for your school and the administrators decided that he will be accepted as a 2nd year High School student.”

 

“Thank you mister but I wasn’t talking to you,” I deadpanned him.

 

“Kwangmin!” It was the first time I saw my father getting angry again but as always, he was controlling his temper. “Donghyun is older than you. Show some respect. And it’s exactly what he said. Whether you like it or not, you will be watching over Youngmin.”

 

“But-“

 

“Dad!” Youngmin grabbed my father’s hand timidly. Just like five years ago, he would intervene whenever my parents and I would get in a heated argument. “I’m not a baby anymore dad. I can take care of myself. Besides, Donghyun-hyung will be allowed stay inside the school right?”

 

Donghyun-hyung gave him a smile, confirming what Youngmin had said. I don’t know why but it just made me angrier. I stood abruptly from my seat, “Thanks for the meal.” Before they could react, I quickly went to my room.

 

I tossed and turned in my bed, unable to sleep. I felt disappointed with what Youngmin told our father a while ago. It’s like he was saying he has Donghyun-hyung so he doesn’t need me.

 

Stupid! I was the one insisting that I don’t want to watch over him! Of course, he’ll feel that he’s being a burden to me!

 

I pulled my hair in frustration. Why was I even worrying over this? And more importantly, what would happen on Monday?

 

 

 

“Oh my god they’re exactly alike!”

 

“No way, Kwangmin’s more handsome!”

 

“But this Youngmin is prettier~”

 

“Look, he looks shy and timid...so cute!”

 

“Wait a minute, Kwangmin has a twin?!”

 

Youngmin had just introduced himself and as expected, they were all shocked by his sudden appearance and the fact that he is my twin. I just rolled my eyes with all the commotions inside the classroom. And I’m sure the news would spread pretty fast outside this room too. Minwoo smiled towards me and I ignored him.

 

“Now now class. I would appreciate if we won’t scare Youngmin-ssi on his first day. And yes, he is Kwangmin-ssi’s twin. He has been living in America before transferring here. Calm your...selves and treat him well. Youngmin-ssi, you would obviously be sitting beside your brother.”

 

Damn this alphabetical arrangement of our seats! Those who were sitting after me moved to give space to Youngmin. All eyes were on him, even the boys. Suddenly, I could hear two of my male classmates whispering to each other.

 

“Hey, don’t you think this Youngmin is quite pretty for a boy?”

 

“Yeah, the twins are definitely good looking. But this one’s more feminine.”

 

“He’s even prettier than our girls here. They look boring.”

 

“I know right! I’d rather tap him than them.”

 

“Uhm...I think we better stop now because he’s brother is glaring at us.”

 

They both looked at me before quickly turning to the teacher in front. I didn’t even know I was glaring at them. Was I?

 

It was time for lunch and much to my dismay, Minwoo pulled Youngmin to join us. It’s either my friend had mistaken Youngmin for me or he has completely forgotten that I was his friend because they left the room without waiting for me. What a great friend No Minwoo is.

 

 

 

Youngmin’s POV

 

When the lunch bell rang, I arranged my things and got ready to meet with Donghyun-hyung. He’s allowed inside the school but not in the classroom. He told me he would be staying in the library instead. Hyung loves reading just like Kwangmin. I jumped in surprise when Minwoo was suddenly in front of me, all smiles.

 

“Come eat lunch with us?”

 

He asked cutely I was temporarily frozen. Before I could reply, he pulled my arm towards the cafeteria without waiting for Kwangmin.

 

We were in the hallways and almost all of the students were looking at us. I wasn’t used to this kind of attention so I bowed my head but I know it was no use.

 

“Hey! I know you’re all shocked that Kwangmin has a pretty twin but stop ogling will ‘ya? He’s getting embarrassed!” Minwoo suddenly shouted towards them which made them turn their backs simultaneously. I don’t know whether to feel grateful towards him or to feel even more embarrassed. I turned my back and saw Kwangmin following us quite slowly.

 

“Uhm...Minwoo-ssi-“

 

“Just call me Minwoo! We’re friends already!”

 

“Oh, okay. Min-Minwoo...are you sure it’s okay with Kwangmin? He looks upset.”

 

“Don’t mind that brother of yours! You’re his hyung, it should be okay for him!”

 

We arrived at the cafeteria and saw Jungmin-hyung and Hyunsung-hyung. They weren’t surprised when they saw me. Perhaps they already knew about it.

 

“Welcome to the group Youngmin-ah!” Jungmin-hyung was as bright as always. “And Kwangmin! Walk faster, we’re starving!”

 

Kwangmin stuck his tongue towards them and I found it really cute! I never knew that my twin could be this childish. He was always so serious at home. Oh yeah...he hates me. I’m so glad I have Donghyun-hyung whom I can trust besides my parents... Donghyun-hyung! I almost forgot!

 

“Uhm, actually, Donghyun-hyung is at the library. I need to-“

 

“Donghyun-hyung is here?!”

 

We were all surprised with Minwoo’s sudden outburst.

 

“What’s wrong Minwoo? Are you interested in Donghyun-hyung?” Hyunsung asked with an innocent face.

 

Minwoo? Interested with Donghyun-hyung?

 

“What?! Of course not! I mean...I’m just surprised the school allowed him inside since he’s not a student and all and-“

 

“Okay Minwoo, stop blabbering.” Jungmin-hyung cut him off. “Go accompany Youngmin to the library or he might get lost.”

 

“I was about to do that. You didn’t have to tell me.”

 

Hyunsung-hyung leaned towards Jungmin-hyung to whisper something, “He’s really excited to see Donghyun-hyung again.” Jungmin-hyung snickered while Minwoo turned red beside me.

 

“I heard that!”

 

“Yeah yeah Minwoo. Now hurry before lunch time ends,” Jungmin-hyung shooed us away.

 

Minwoo seemed to be in deep thoughts on the way to the library. There was still a bit shade of pink on his cheeks.

 

“Uhm, Minwoo?”

 

“Y-Yes?”

 

“Is it true? You’re interested-“

 

“I’m not! Those guys just love teasing me. Don’t mind them.”

 

“Okay...”

 

We arrived in the library within three minutes. Donghyun-hyung immediately saw us so he automatically placed the book that he was reading back to the librarian’s desk and we went outside together.

 

“Hi Minwoo-ssi,” he greeted Minwoo and the pink returned to his cheeks again. There’s no doubt Minwoo has a thing for Donghyun-hyung even though he tried to deny it.

 

“H-Hello Donghyun-ssi...”

 

Donghyun-hyung chuckled and ruffled Minwoo’s hair affectionately. Minwoo couldn’t hide his smile after that gesture. I don’t know why but I felt quite uncomfortable. I was so used with Donghyun-hyung’s attention solely for me. The thought of Donghyun-hyung giving sweet gestures to others seems unacceptable to me. I had wanted so badly for my parents to shift their attention to Kwangmin. I don’t understand why I’m feeling the opposite with Donghyun-hyung. It’s maybe because he’s my first real friend and companion.

 

“Youngmin,” Donghyun-hyung broke my train of thoughts with his concerned look. “What’s the matter? Are you not feeling well?”

 

“No. I’m okay hyung, thank you.”

 

I can’t help but grab his arm on the way to the cafeteria. I saw Minwoo stared at my hand for a while before returning to his old self.

 

“We’re back~!” He told those who were waiting for us in the cafeteria. Some of the students turned their heads towards Donghyun-hyung too. I cannot blame them though. Donghyun-hyung is quite good looking too. When my eyes landed on Kwangmin, I saw that he was also staring at my hand and Donghyun’s arm, just like Minwoo a while ago.

 

________________

 

sorry for my slow update T__T 

I'm quite busy with my research papers these days.

Like always, thanks to those who had read/commented/subscribed! I'm really grateful towards you guys TvT

And to those Filipino Best Friends, I'm so excited for 28! ;)