Chapter 4

Sacrifice

 

Kwangmin’s POV

 

“Minwoo, Mr. Kim wants to meet you and talk about your Math grade,” I told my idiotic friend as we were arranging our things after our last class.

 

The said guy facepalmed himself and clicked his tongue, “I hope he won’t tell me that I have to repeat this subject!”

 

“Then you better pray for your English subject too,” I .

 

“Such a thoughtful friend you are Kwangmin,” he replied sarcastically. “Wait for me at the front gate, okay?”

 

“Sure. Make it fast.”

 

As soon as Minwoo headed to the teachers’ faculty room, I ran my way out of the classroom towards the front gate. What I told Minwoo was a lie. The teacher didn’t want to meet him. I told him that because I want to escape from him and the hyungs. It’s been a week since they had found out about my twin and my family’s return. They’d be coming home today and my friends desperately wanted to meet Youngmin. I acted like I don’t care about this but honestly speaking I’m so nervous like hell! I heard my uncle telling the maids that they would arrive in Korea by 3PM which means they’ll be at the house at around 5PM - just in time for our class dismissal.

 

I kept on running while my schoolmates were giving me shocked and weird stares. They always saw me as the calm and composed Kwangmin, never in this panicked and disarranged state. I let out a sigh of relief when I saw my personal driver standing beside my car. He bowed and opened the door for me as soon as I reach him. I almost fell flat on my when I saw who were inside.

 

“J-Jungmin hyung?! Hyunsung-hyung?!”

 

“Hi Kwangmin,” Jungmin-hyung smiled and waved. Hyunsung-hyung did the same.

 

“What are you guys doing there?! Mr. Park!” I shouted towards my driver, “How could you let them in?!”

 

“I’m sorry Young Master. They said you told them to go here first while you get something.”

 

I glared towards my sly friends who were smiling innocently at me.

 

“Now now Kwangmin, don’t be mad,” Hyunsung-hyung said. “We had an agreement didn’t we?”

 

“I didn’t promise anything!”

 

“We just want to meet your twin. You don’t have to talk to him or anything,” Hyunsung-hyung kept on reassuring and pacifying me at the same time. “Besides, it’s been a while since we saw your parents. Oh look here comes Minwoo.”

 

I turned around and saw Minwoo wearing the same innocent-looking but deceiving smile like my hyungs, “Kwangmin, you thought you could trick me? I already talked with Mr. Kim during lunch haha!”

 

I looked at him unbelievably as he passed me by and settled himself at the backseat beside the hyungs.

 

“Kwangmin, what are you waiting for? Get in.” Jungmin-hyung ordered. I groaned in annoyance as I sat on the front passenger seat.

 

 

During the ride back home, I was praying as hard as I could for their flight to be delayed or for them to get the wrong flight schedule. I wasn’t ready for all this ! But I guess God must be sleeping at this moment or I was just a bad kid whom God wouldn’t listen to because I saw a new luxurious car parked in our garage. There’s no denying that my parents are back.

 

My three friends had to push me inside the house because my feet would refuse to walk by itself. When we finally made our way inside, everyone inside the living room stopped whatever they were doing to look at us. I was looking at the floor, not daring to look up, but I could feel their heavy stares directed towards us.

 

I could hear a set of footsteps approach me. I figured out it was my mother because the sound of her heels hitting the marble floor was echoing throughout the room. “Kwangmin...son...we’re back for good.”

 

She hugged me but I didn’t move, “Did you miss us?”

 

I didn’t answer too but this time, I dared myself to look up. I raised my head to see what was in front of me. I didn’t know if I should regret my actions or not because past my mom’s shoulder, the first person I laid my eyes too was him, Youngmin.

 

He was staring back at me with glassy eyes like he was trying hard not to cry. He wasn’t smiling but he wasn’t frowning either. Despite that, I could feel the weight of his emotions passing down on me. It was a heavy longing feeling.

 

He looked healthier now. Maybe the treatment in America finally worked and he got rid of his lymphoma already. He also dyed his hair to blond which complemented his feminine features...which is a contrast to mine. It might have been a trick of the lighting from the afternoon sun passing through the windows or just an effect of my pure shock because he appears to be glowing.

 

“Now Shinhye,” my father spoke. “Stop hogging Kwangmin! Let Youngmin see him too.”

 

“Oh, sorry,” my mom chuckled while wiping the tears that escaped her eyes.

 

Youngmin tentatively took a step forward towards me but stopped when he saw that I wasn’t moving. He was giving me space. He gave me a nervous smile first before speaking. “K-Kwangmin...”

 

Hearing my name from his voice again gave me overwhelming feelings. I couldn’t take it all at once. “I-I’ll go to my room first. Please excuse me.” I ran off like a coward.

 

 

Youngmin’s POV

 

I stared hopelessly at Kwangmin’s retreating figure. I had already prepared myself for this. My mom told me to give Kwangmin some time and space first and for me not to expect a warm welcome from him. I knew this would happen but I just can’t help to feel heartbroken. If being heartbroken kills, it would’ve killed me faster than my lymphoma.

 

My dad gave a comforting squeeze on my shoulder and I nodded, telling him it was okay.

 

“Kids! Long time no see!” my mother tried to change the mood by greeting the three guests who were standing awkwardly near the doorway. They were obviously Kwangmin’s friends and schoolmates since they were wearing the same uniform. They bowed towards my parents and my mom gave each of them a warm hug. “I’m so sorry you had to see that. By the way, you haven’t met him yet right? He’s Youngmin. Youngmin-ah, this is Jungmin, Hyunsung, and Minwoo. We met them during our visit last year.”

 

I bowed towards them and they did the same. “Uhm...I’m Kwangmin’s twin.”

 

They smiled, “Yup. Kwangmin told us about you,” the guy named Minwoo said.

 

I can’t help but be shocked by what he said and a genuine smile appeared on my face for the first time since arriving here, “H-He talked about me?”

 

Minwoo shifted on his feet uncomfortably and I guess I had misinterpreted it, “Well...not until last week though.”

 

I forced out a smile to avoid an awkward atmosphere, “It’s okay, I understand.”

 

Minwoo then turned his attention to guy beside me who was completely quiet throughout everything that had happened, “Are you Kwangmin’s family member too?”

 

The guy chuckled and I understand because I found Minwoo’s question cute too, “No. My name is Kim Donghyun and I’m Youngmin’s personal assistant. I’m here to watch over him in case something happens.”

 

“But...But I thought Youngmin’s fine already,” Minwoo replied. This kid is really innocent and transparent.

 

“He’s fine but he had just recovered so there might still be little complications,” Donghyun-hyung explained patiently.

 

We sat together in the living room while the maids brought snacks. I got along pretty well with Kwangmin’s friends. Jungmin-hyung is always so cheerful and lively. Hyunsung-hyung is a bit laidback but I can see that he’s really smart. Minwoo is so cute and innocent. I’m so glad that my twin got nice friends who would take care of him while we were away. In the midst of our conversation, I can’t help but wonder what Kwangmin was doing in his room right now.

 

 

Kwangmin’s POV

 

I laid flat in my bed as I clutch my chest. Scumbag unexplainable feelings please leave me alone. I could hear their lively chatter downstairs inside my awfully quiet room. Why am I being like this? My original plan was just to see my parents to show my respect, greet them just to be civil, and then head to my room like a boss. But when I saw Youngmin, everything just shattered.

 

I didn’t notice it 30 minutes had passed already until someone knocked on the door.

 

“Kwangmin-ah~ It’s us!” Minwoo said with a cheerful voice.

 

“Come in.”

 

The three of them entered the room and sat by my bed like I’m a sick person or something.

 

“He wasn’t that bad after all,” Jungmin-hyung said.

 

“I told you if you become friends with him, then forget about our friendship.”

 

“Aww, I know you don’t mean that,” Hyunsung-hyung patted my thighs. It’s true though. I know deep inside that I just wouldn’t be able to throw away our friendship so easily.

 

“And he looked so pitiful when you just left him like that!” Minwoo slapped my arm which didn’t hurt by the way. “You could’ve greeted him or something. Poor Youngmin...”

 

I could’ve replied with something to get him to shut up but I couldn’t. My words were stuck in my throat as I thought about Youngmin's expression.

 

“Also, you didn’t get to meet Donghyun-hyung,” Minwoo continued.

 

“Who’s Donghyun-hyung?” I asked.

 

“You didn’t see him?! He was standing at the back of Youngmin a while ago! He’s Youngmin’s personal assistant. He’s not that old though...only 5 years older than us I think.”

 

“So what? I don’t care about him.”

 

“If you don’t take care of Youngmin now, Youngmin might like him more you know. Since he takes care of Youngmin and stuff...”

 

I don’t even know why I felt my heart halt after Minwoo had uttered those words. I don’t care right? I don’t give a !

 

“Now you’re thinking.”

 

“What the hell are you talking about No Minwoo?!”

 

“I’m just saying that he’s your brother and you’re supposed to be the one taking care of him. It’s been years already Kwangmin! Besides, he’s been sorry for everything. I just pity his situation.”

 

“What about me?!”

 

“Oh, stop being selfish will you?!”

 

“You just don’t understand!”

 

“Kids, kids...” Hyunsung-hyung stood from his place and I didn’t realize Minwoo and I were ready to claw each other’s face off already.  

 

I sighed heavily and avoided their stares, “I’d appreciate if you’ll leave me alone for now.”

 

“Alright,” Jungmin-hyung said as he patted my shoulder. “Let’s go guys. See you on Monday Kwangmin!”

 

 

I was surprised when my mom knocked on the door to call for me for dinner. It was supposed to be the maid’s job but I guess it was her own little way of making amends.

 

“I’m not hungry.”

 

“Oh...okay. But don’t hesitate to go to the dining room if you’re ready to eat okay?”

 

I hummed as a response.

 

“Don’t skip dinner.”

 

When I didn’t reply, I heard a soft sigh coming from her before leaving her spot in front of my door. Minutes later, a maid knocked and brought food inside my room. I guess my parents realized I wasn’t going down for dinner but didn’t want me to get hungry. Somehow, I felt really touched.

 

The maid collected the eating utensils after I finished eating my meal. I tried to concentrate on other things like doing my homework, playing games, watching Pokemon but my mind would always drift off somewhere else. I walked towards the wall which separates Youngmin’s room and my room. I find it kind of surreal that he’s on the other side right now, like five years of the room being empty never happened.

 

I lied on my bed and forced myself to sleep. After a lot of thinking, drowsiness finally came to me. 

 

But before I fell asleep, I can't help but wonder if that Donghyun-hyung is as good-looking as I am. 

 

___________________________

 

updated because jotwins0424 used kitty eyes on me. 

hope you'll all be satisfied with this chapter though, cause i wasn't ^^;;

thanks for reading btw!