Chapter 13

Sacrifice

 

“Kwangmin...stop studying...it’s semestral break”

 

Sleepy Youngmin draped his arms lethargically around Kwangmin’s waist who was sitting on the bed while reading a 3rd year high school textbook. A small smile was formed on his lips when Youngmin rested his head Kwangmin’s lap and almost fell back asleep instantly.

 

“You wake up so late I don’t have anything else to do,” he placed the book on top of the side table and went to caress Youngmin’s soft blond hair after.

 

“Mm..hm...” Youngmin hummed in response making it clear that he was still not fully awake.

 

“And you can’t be lazy all the time! We have to prepare for the College Scholastic Ability Test since we’re in our last year of high school already.”

 

Youngmin replied with another hum and Kwangmin sighed in defeat. He never knew that his twin was actually a lazy person who loves to cuddle in bed all the time.

 

“Let’s go on a date,” the younger twin suggested.

 

“Where?”

 

“Anywhere you want to go.”

 

“I want to go to the beach...”

 

“Can’t we go somewhere nearer?”

 

“Beach.”

 

Youngmin has gotten more stubborn and demanding too but he loved it just the same, “Beach it is.”

 

 

“Why are you guys going to the beach all of a sudden? And how come we’re not included?” Their mom crossed her arms as she watched her kids place their bags inside the car.

 

“It’s a brother bonding mom,” Youngmin chuckled and hugged his mom to prevent her from being upset further.

 

“Aren’t you two spending too much time together already?” their dad asked with a raise of an eyebrow which earned him a nudge in the ribs from their mom.

 

“What too much are you talking about?! They were separated for years of course they’re making up for lost time!”

 

“You didn’t have to nudge me so hard.”

 

They can't help but laugh at their parents bickering.

 

"Since we're not allowed to come, should we ask Donghyun to come too so that you'll have someone to watch over you?" their Father suggested.

 

"He doesn't need to come Dad," Kwangmin answered in an irritated manner and their parents were still wondering why Kwangmin never warmed up to Donghyun.

 

“We’ll be back later mom,” Youngmin said and kissed both of his parents. Kwangmin still found it awkward to do so and opted to wave goodbye instead. Their parents stayed in front of the doorway until the car was out of sight.

 

“Why does it look like Youngmin was picked up by his boyfriend?” the Father said which earned him a hard slap in the arm this time.

 

“What are you saying?! Are you implying that our sons are having that sort of relationship?”

 

“That’s not what I meant!”

 

“They’re just getting close as brothers okay?”

 

“You’re the one overreacting here,” he shook his head while rubbing his arm and went inside the house.

 

“They’re just getting close...” she assured herself as she followed her husband inside.

 

 

“You can come back later at 8 to pick us up,” Kwangmin told Mr. Park.

 

The old man bowed and smiled before heading off.

 

“Kwangmin! Hurry Up!!”

 

He saw his older twin near the water already while waving frantically towards him.

 

“You’re going to get your pants wet!” Kwangmin shouted back. He chuckled as Youngmin gasped and quickly rolled his pants up. He didn’t know that Youngmin doesn’t own any khaki shorts or any attire suitable for beach so he ended up wearing jeans instead. He wore a thin and loose white shirt and a thigh-length cardigan to go with it. The rays of the sun made his pale skin glow which made him stand out in the beach.

 

“Are you just going to stand there?!”

 

He snapped out from his admiring session and ran to the object of his admiration.

 

“Look Kwangmin it’s the beach!”

 

“I can see that you idiot.” The two of them were standing at the water as it softly swayed and swarmed in their legs. 

 

“Let’s look for seashells.”

 

“That’s tiring. You do that while I lie on the sand.”

 

Youngmin pouted due to the lack of energy of his younger brother. As soon as Kwangmin turned his back, he cunningly splashed some water at him.

 

The victim faced him again with a shocked expression, “Why did you that?!”

 

“Because you won’t play with me,” he still supported his pout strategy.

 

“You want to play?” Before the other could respond, he splashed a greater amount of water at the unsuspecting blond for revenge.

 

“Ugh, I’m wearing jeans!”

 

“That’s not my problem.”

 

And they continued to piss each other off by splashing more water at one another until they were both fully soaked, forgetting other concerns like Youngmin wearing jeans.

 

“Kwang-” a splash of water had hit his face again, “Kwangmin stop!”

 

“You started it!”

 

“I-I know but it’s c-cold already!” True enough, Youngmin was shivering a bit and was hugging his lithe body tightly.

 

“You get cold too quickly.”

 

“Are you s-stupid?! The wind is cold!”

 

“Okay, submerge your body in the water so it won’t be too cold. I’ll go grab some towels.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

 

Kwangmin returned in a matter of seconds holding both the towel and their duffle bags, “Come here.”

 

Youngmin got himself out of the water and the younger one quickly wrapped a towel at him and held him using his free arm, “You okay?”

 

“Just a bit cold.”

 

Kwangmin kissed his cheek and Youngmin was thankful for the small amount of warmth from it. They went to the changing room just a few meters from their spot and both changed to dry clothes.

 

 

“What is this crappy looking sandwich?” Kwangmin poked the said food inside the sandwich bag which Youngmin took out from his bag. They spread a blanket on the sand to have a picnic on the beach.

 

“I didn’t have time to prepare okay? It doesn’t look bad anyway! I would have baked a cake or something if I had time.”

 

“What a sad lunch...”

 

“If you don’t want to eat it then don’t!” Youngmin was about to grab the sandwich back but Kwangmin held it far from him.

 

“I was just kidding okay? Of course I’ll love anything that you made.”

 

Youngmin was still frowning but a blush was evident on his face, “Whatever.”

 

“It’s our birthday next month. You should bake a cake okay?”

 

The upset one had immediately forgotten his sulking at the mention of their birthday, “We’re finally going to celebrate it together!”

 

“I know...so it should be special right?”

 

“I feel like celebrating my first birthday.”

 

Kwangmin chortled as he held Youngmin’s hand and they both ate the crappy sandwich in silence. After eating, they went to pick seashells despite Kwangmin’s whines and protests. They played a bit more in the sand and stayed out of the water since neither of them enjoys swimming anyway. They just liked being near the endless expanse of the beach and the soft grainy feeling of sand on their feet.

 

 

It was around 5:30PM when the sun began to set. There were not much people around since they preferred going to recreational parks rather than beach during springtime. The inappropriateness of time and place doesn’t matter to them as long as they are together. They sat on the sand as they watch the sun ever so slowly descend behind the calm water.

 

“Let’s take a walk,” Kwangmin asked his twin whose eyes were fixed and dazzling as he watched the setting sun.

 

“Sure.”

 

But instead of standing up, Kwangmin turned his back on Youngmin while kneeling with one knee on the sand.

 

“Uhm, what are you doing?”

 

“Ride on my back idiot.”

 

“Stop calling me that! I’m not Minwoo,” Despite his complaints, he still complied with what Kwangmin wants and was lifted in a second.

 

“You’re so light,” Kwangmin commented.

 

“We’re of the same weight!”

 

“I can toss you easily on the beach if I want.”

 

“Hey!” he slapped his playful twin’s arm.
 

“I was just kidding,” he laughed.

 

They, or rather, Kwangmin walked on the beach while Youngmin enjoyed the cool afternoon breeze caressing the both of them. One of the reasons why Youngmin wanted to go to the beach was to experience this kind of tranquillity and serenity with the person he loved the most.

 

“The beach is really beautiful...” Youngmin finally broke the silence. “I want to get married in a beach.”

 

“I want to get married in a church.”

 

“You’re so boring,” he placed his chin lazily on Kwangmin’s shoulder. “Your bride will be sad.”

 

You will be sad.”

 

Youngmin laughed dryly, “I won’t be your bride. We’re twins remember? Or you haven’t looked at the mirror lately.” He joked but neither of them laughed. “Seriously speaking Kwangmin...you should find a beautiful bride, have a family and make our parents proud. Isn’t that how life is supposed to be?”

 

Kwangmin gritted his teeth and tried his best not to shout at his brother. He knows how Youngmin gets too sensitive most of the time. He found a boulder and gently let Youngmin sit on it. When he faced Youngmin, that’s when he realized that the other was crying.

 

He used his hands to wipe the tears from his lover’s face, “Look, you made yourself cry. Who told you I’m going to look for a bride and have a family?”

 

“I’m just looking at the reality. This is not right. What will our parents say?”

 

“What this are you talking about which isn’t right? Our love for each other? How can love be wrong?”

 

“It’s wrong if the one you love the most is your biological brother. And how can you be so sure that you’ll love me for a long time? You haven’t tried dating other people. What if you found out you want to be with someone else?”

 

“I’d rather not know anything about love, and I’d rather not marry at all if that means losing you. I love you and no one else please don’t be like this...” his tone became desperate and tears started to form in his eyes, “Right now is what matters the most. If it didn’t work out in the end at least we loved, and we loved whole-heartedly without lying to ourselves. Isn’t that how life is supposed to be? If you’re thinking about the future please think about my feelings too. I love you.”

 

“I love you too Kwangmin and I’m scared...”

 

“You don’t have to be. I’ll marry you okay? No matter what, no matter where. Beach or church. Real or fake. Legal or illegal. Right or wrong. Just...just stay beside me.”

 

Youngmin wiped the endless tears flowing down his face and finally managed to smile after his small emotional breakdown, “If you’re that stubborn then I guess I have no choice but to marry you too.”

 

“As if I'll give you another option. Stop crying now okay? I love you.”

 

“I love you too my Kwangmin.”

 

Kwangmin held his lover’s face and placed a tender kiss on his lips to seal the promise they made with the calm endless sea and the beautiful setting sun as their witnesses.

 

 

“Come on Youngmin you have to eat! It’s just a week before our birthday you need to get better.”

 

“I can’t eat...I don’t have appetite right now...”

 

Youngmin had fallen sick with fever three days ago. They were all thinking that Youngmin must have been pushing himself too hard to catch up on studies since they will be facing hell examinations soon. Last night, Youngmin woke up sweating profusely in the middle of the night after a dream that he had.

 

“Can’t I see him?”

 

“Just wait for a bit okay?”

 

“I had been waiting and you keep on saying the same thing. I promised him that I will stay.”

 

“I’m so sorry but you really can’t. Not yet. But if you wait patiently you’ll see each other soon.”

 

Everything became white, with only him and his exact replica standing in the middle of nothing.

 

“I’m sorry...” he doesn’t know what he was apologizing for. He just felt that needed to or else everything that he held dear and treasured will be taken away from him. “I’m really sorry...”

 

“It’s okay,” the other being answered. “I’m free now.”

 

A sense of relief entered his system but it was gone after a few seconds when the one he was speaking to turned his back on him and started to walk away. He wanted to run after him but his legs felt like lead. He wanted to shout but his throat felt dry. All he could do was cry.

 

Don’t leave me...

 

“Please Youngmin...I’ll feed you.” Kwangmin pleaded but the other just shook his head weakly. “You want Donghyun-hyung to feed you instead, don’t you?” He felt bad for making Youngmin feel guilty but he had no other choice. Youngmin had not eaten anything since last night because they had let him sleep as he wished.

 

“Of course not...”

 

“Don’t deny it. I know you still-”

 

“Fine...fine...I’ll eat...but just a little.”

 

“Any amount is okay,” Kwangmin smiled in triumph and began feeding his sick twin. After a few spoon-feeds, Youngmin gently pushed Kwangmin’s hand away indicating that he can’t take anything anymore. He sighed because his brother was only able to finish one-fourth of the bowl of soup which definitely wasn’t enough to make him better. It took another rounds of cooes, sweet-talking, and playing the guilty card before Youngmin agreed to take the medicine. Kwangmin felt like his chest was being stabbed as he watched his lover struggle with food and medicine. After placing the utensils on the side table, he gently gathered his twin on his arms and placed tender kisses on his face, “Get well soon. I miss playing with you.”

 

“But I love being pampered by you.”

 

“Don’t get too spoiled.”

 

Youngmin smiled and Kwangmin tucked him on the bed.

 

“Take a rest for now. I’ll feed you again later okay? This time you have to finish the food.”

 

Kwangmin was about to grab the tray and pass it to the maid waiting outside the room when Youngmin grabbed his wrist.

 

“Don’t leave me...”

 

There was a certain desperation and fear on Youngmin’s voice and Kwangmin didn’t fail to notice it. He was confused but thought that it must have been because of the fever.

 

“I’m not going anywhere.”

 

With Kwangmin’s promise in mind, he fell asleep just a few minutes later.

 

 

To everyone’s relief, Youngmin had gotten a better just in time for their birthday. However, he was not allowed to tire himself out to avoid getting sick again. Like the usual, their parents organized a grand birthday party for them with their relatives and friends present for the occasion.

 

Minwoo almost bawled his eyes out when he saw their two hyungs, Jungmin and Hyunseong, again. The two are now university students taking the same degree in music and performing arts.

 

“Why the hell are you crying Minwoo? We never left Seoul,” Jungmin deadpanned as Minwoo clung on his neck.

 

“But hyung!! School is not the same without you two waiting at the cafeteria during lunch!!”

 

The rest just laughed at Minwoo’s childishness.

 

“Happy birthday Youngmin,” Donghyun was about to hand a gift to him when Kwangmin snatched it away for him.

 

“I have to check what’s inside first!”

 

Minwoo smacked him in the head and Kwangmin glared at him, “Donghyun-hyung and I bought it together so you don’t have to worry about it! And happy birthday to you too,” the magnae of the group handed a gift to him.

 

The party ended well and the twins definitely had fun despite it being too formal for their liking. Their three friends had left too and Donghyun bid the two of them one last happy birthday before leaving them alone, much to Kwangmin’s joy. The maids helped them place their gifts in their own respective rooms.

 

“Kwangmin...”

 

“Yes?” he wondered why his twin was suddenly looking so down when they had much fun at the party a while ago. “What’s wrong?”

 

“I...I’m sorry I wasn’t able to bake a cake for you...”

 

Even though it’s not in Kwangmin’s character, he wanted to squeal and squish his twin tightly for being too precious. “Is that why you’re looking so sad,” he hugged his twin gently and caressed his hair. “You were sick, of course you won’t be able to do it. There’s still plenty of time for you to make one for me so stop worrying about that.”

 

“Alright, I’ll make the most delicious cake for you after I’m fully healed.”

 

They broke apart but not without Kwangmin pecking his lips first, making the other blush furiously again.

 

“I still have something for you so you can’t go to sleep yet.”

 

“And what is that?”

 

“Let’s go to my room.”

 

He held his brother’s hand and led him towards the balcony of his room. Youngmin gasped in shock after seeing what Kwangmin prepared for him. There in the balcony was a small candle-light dinner date with delicious looking food neatly arranged in the round table.

 

“I wanted to take you out but you’re sick so I settled with using the balcony. I hope it’s okay with you.”

 

“How can I not be okay with this? You’re so sweet...” Youngmin tried to hide his blush with his hands but Kwangmin grabbed those hands and kissed him longer but gently.

 

“Happy birthday Youngmin.”

 

“Happy birthday to you too Kwangmin.”

 

Kwangmin offered the seat to Youngmin like a gentleman. The older twin wanted to melt right there and then because of Kwangmin’s treatment to him.

 

“I cooked all of this,” Kwangmi said proudly.

 

“Should I back out now?”

 

“How mean! Okay, to make you feel better, I asked mom to help me. Although I had a hard time explaining why I’m planning to have a dinner date with you.”

 

“What did you tell her then?”

 

“I told her I wanted to you to feel that you’re special to me after the way I had treated you...”

 

Youngmin just chuckled. He was glad that Kwangmin wasn’t feeling that sullen anymore everytime they mention the past because all he wants to do is forget all of it.

 

“Oh, I have a gift for you,” Kwangmin picked something under the table and handed it to Youngmin.

 

“You’re making me feel guiltier for not preparing anything...”

 

“It’s okay. I can wait. How about making up by making love with me every night after you get better?”

 

“Ugh Kwangmin! Don’t ruin the night with your erted mind!”

 

“If I was ert, I would have taken you even though you were sick you know?”

 

“Whatever.” He unwrapped the gift and smiled after he saw what’s inside. It was a small Canon SLR camera with a blank photo album.

 

“We’re going to make lots of memories right? I want to preserve it forever,” Kwangmin’s gentle voice was like a soft beautiful symphony in the quiet night. Everything that he did made Youngmin want to tear up due to happiness.

 

Kwangmin stood from his seat and knelt in front of his lover, “You’re going to cry again? What a cry baby~” he cooed.

 

“Shut up...”

 

He removed the gifts from Youngmin’s hands and placed it on the table. He took both of Youngmin’s hands and held it tightly as he leaned forward to capture the other’s soft lips. The magical moment broke when Youngmin suddenly fell limp on his shoulder.

 

“Y-Youngmin?”

 

He grabbed Youngmin’s arms and distanced himself a little to see what happened to his twin. That’s when he noticed that he was looking a little paler than usual and his temperature was rising again.

 

“Youngmin...Youngmin wake up...” he tried shaking his twin but the other won’t open his eyes.

 

“Kwangmin...it hurts...”

 

“Where?”

 

“Everywhere.”

 

Kwangmin cursed as he fished his phone out from his pocket and searched for Donghyun’s name in his contact list. His hand was shaking as he pressed the phone to his ears. “Hyung! Hyung please come to my room right now! It’s Youngmin...”

 

Not a few seconds passed when Donghyun came rushing to his room and found Youngmin looking more sick than ever in Kwangmin’s arms.
 

“What happened?”

 

“I-I don’t know hyung...” Kwangmin looked fear-stricken and panicky. “He...suddenly...Youngmin...”

 

Donghyun touched Youngmin’s face making him worry more when he found out that Youngmin was having a fever again, “Youngmin-ah? How are you feeling?”

 

“H-Hyung...it hurts so much...”

 

Without another word, Donghyun took Youngmin from Kwangmin’s arms and carried him which caused Youngmin to moan painfully. He was about to leave the room when he saw Kwangmin still sitting on the floor with a shock expression on his face.

 

“What are you waiting for Kwangmin?! We’re bringing him to the hospital!”

 

Even after what Donghyun had said and even after he left the room, he still sat motionless on the floor with all sorts of thoughts going on in his head.

 

Please...please don’t tell me...

 

 

___________________________________________________________

 

Finally got to update this T___T

fighting to the students who are facing the wrath of the finals like me

and thanks for those who are still reading this fic XD

i really appreciate your comments/subscriptions ♥

 

Snowdrop01 thank you! but it's not yet the end though kk