Chapter 8

Temptation of the Taken

Eight

By now the boys were settling into the process of interviews and Kadence enjoyed watching them from the sideline, laughing along with their actions despite not understanding ninety-five percent of what they said.  She was beginning to get to know them all well enough to guess what was coming out of their mouths.  Letting out an involuntary giggle as the microphone was shoved into Jongdae’s face, she placed a hand over her stomach to settle the gurgling.

 

She presumed it wasn’t hunger seeing as she had taken two bites of her breakfast that morning and couldn’t stomach anymore.  But there was never any rest for the wicked and she had continued her day despite feeling a little worse for wear.  The interview was drawing to a close now and she looked forward to returning to the company building, where she would be able to have some water and recuperate for a bit.

 

The boys began to trail off stage and she waited with a couple of other staff members to see them to their dressing room.  Grinning brightly as Minseok ran up and slung his arm around her shoulder she let him babble into her ear for a moment as they were herded up.  Starting down the corridor she unravelled herself from the boy and trailed behind them, her pace slowing as she began to feel unsteady.  She didn’t want to draw attention to herself, but it seemed like Wu Fan had caught sight of her as he arranged the other members.

 

“Are you okay?  You look as white as a ghost,” he asked, his voice worried and she guessed she must look as bad as she felt.  Her stomach felt like it turned upside down at that moment and she shook her head, somehow managing to motion her urges successfully without opening .

 

Wu Fan scanned the area, his face brightening slightly as he spied a bin several metres away and grabbing her by the arm, guided her towards it.  It wasn’t a moment too soon as Kadence bent over it, emptying the contents of her stomach into it.  In the back of the mind she felt extremely embarrassed to be throwing up in front of him, but at that moment her stomach had all of her attention.

 

When she was done and stood shaking with tears in her eyes, trying to expel the taste from she became aware that the boy was rubbing circles on her back.  She felt slightly comforted by the action, glad that he at least didn’t have to hold her hair back for her.

 

A voice nearby called something in Chinese, a gasp soon following and Kadence straightened herself to find Luhan looking like a deer caught in headlights.  “Oh no Jie Jie, are you alright?”

 

“No she’s not,” Wu Fan answered for her before she could even open and the cherub-like boy’s face grew pained.  “Tell manager hyung I’ll be there shortly, I’m just going to see her out to a taxi.  Oh and get him to find someone to clean this bin.”

 

Luhan nodded like a soldier given his orders and sent a small heart gesture to the girl before turning on his heel and jogging towards the dressing room.  She felt ashamed as Wu Fan passed her his water bottle and she tried to give it back to him.

 

“I’m sure I’ll survive without it, you need some right now,” he urged and she gave in, using the first mouthful to rinse out.  Taking several small sips afterwards she replaced the bottle-cap and looked up at the boy.  “Let’s get you back to the hotel, shall we?”

 

“I’m sorry to be such a bother,” she croaked as he took her by the arm and guided her through the building towards the front.  Thankfully the show was still recording, so the number of fans outside was minimal and a row of taxis were waiting to no doubt exhort them. 

 

Wu Fan led her to one of them and opening the door for her she thanked him, crawling into the back seat.  The next moment his head appeared through the front door and he muttered something in Mandarin to the driver, before turning to her.

 

“You rest up alright?  I expect to see you fighting fit.”  With that she was enclosed in the cab and watched him retreat to the building as they pulled away from the curb.

 

*  *  *

 

That evening Kadence lay snuggled under the covers of her bed, no longer able to sleep, but too content to move.  She was feeling marginally better after a few hours rest, though the thought of food still made her stomach churn.  A knock on the door interrupted her peace and she pulled herself up, expecting to have to assure Yoonhee that she was alright.

 

“Hee I’m-” she started as she opened the door, breaking off when she found Wu Fan standing there instead of her friend.

 

“Can I come in?” he asked and she nodded dumbly, stepping aside for him.  She followed him into the hub of her room, biting her lip nervously as he seemed to notice the disarray of her bed covers.  “We’ve finished for the night, so I thought I would pop back here with the staff and see how you were doing.”

 

“Oh, I’m feeling a little better thanks,” she said, shuffling awkwardly towards the bed and hopping back in.  He followed, pulling the covers up around her before taking a seat at the end.

 

“Have you been sick again?”

 

“Twice, then I had a shower and it seemed to settle things,” she admitted and he shook his head, making disapproving sounds.

 

“I told you to take your vitamins.”

 

“I have been!” she cried, sitting up and he chuckled, shuffling closer and pushing her back down gently.

 

“I was only joking, they take a while to kick in,” he said, before delving into his pocket.  Producing a small tub he placed it on her bedside table, pointing to it.  “Traditional Chinese medicine.  You rub it on your stomach and it helps ease the nausea.”

 

Her face lit up at the sight of it and she quickly snatched it up, unscrewing the lid and inhaling deeply.  “One of my friends back home gave me this stuff once, it smells so good.”

 

He chortled once more and she rolled her eyes, managing to kick him from beneath the covers.  “Thank you doctor, I’m sure I’ll be feeling much better tomorrow.”

 

Wu Fan nodded as he pushed himself to his feet, pulling the jacket he wore tighter and looking at her with an amused expression.  “You better hope so, or Luhan and Minseok will both be fighting over who gets to nurse you.  And trust me, you don’t want either of them.”

 

Kadence laughed at his words, thanking him again heartily as he farewelled her and ordered her to return to sleep.  When the door clicked shut behind him she buried her head into the pillow and let out a groan.  How was she supposed to forget her feelings when he kept doing things like this?

 

________________________________________

I find this chapter ironic, although I actually wrote it a while ago, considering just last weekend I was hugging the toilet bowl much like Kadence.  Unfortunately though, I didn't have Kris to rub my back or make me feel better.

Let's all throw rocks at him.