Chapter 11

Temptation of the Taken

Eleven

“So by changing the sound of that it becomes a different word completely?” Kadence asked as her and Luhan poured over her books in the middle of the SM cafeteria and the boy nodded.  “This is why I learnt Korean and not Mandarin.”

 

Letting out a groan she let her head fall against the table with a small thump, Luhan leaning in close to her.  She tried to ignore the boy, but it became difficult as he poked her repeatedly in the arm.

 

“Jie jie, you’re doing well.  Don’t forget you only have to learn enough to understand the staff’s orders, think of Seokie and Dae who have to become fluent,” he pointed out and she slowly raised her head, knowing he was right.  “Or you could think of it as a challenge to beat Wu Fan in the number of languages you can speak.”

 

The idea made it hard to resist planting her face into the table once more and she flung her pencil down, biting down on her lip.  Pulling a face at the younger boy she stretched and slapped the book shut.

 

“Ok I give up, it’s now a lazy day,” she decided and Luhan rolled his eyes at her.  Nevertheless he seemed pretty happy at the fact that he no longer had to exercise his mind and she could devote her attention to him.

 

“Why is it that we have three weeks off, yet you still have to work?” he asked and she shook her head at him good naturedly.

 

“Because Lulu, someone has to organise and prepare all the events you guys turn up to,” she said and he looked at her sheepishly.  At that moment it wasn’t hard to see why the fans had taken to calling him a deer and unable to resist the urge she reached out and pinched his cheek.  He recoiled with the action and she burst out laughing; though it was cut short as a voice was heard behind them.

 

“Are you guys studying?”  A moment later Wu Fan came into view and Kadence watched as he took a seat opposite them.

 

“Yeah, though jie jie gave up because she’s a wuss,” Luhan teased and she gave him a look, punching him lightly on the shoulder.

 

“I don’t believe that, let me look at this,” Wu Fan said, picking up her notebook and in that moment she panicked.  This was exactly the kind of thing she was trying to avoid and so without thinking she snatched the book away from him, shoving it in her bag.  Both boys looked shocked at her action and she tried to think of something to say.

 

“I... I just remembered an appointment I’m going to be late for,” she stammered and scrambling to her feet, almost dropped her bag.  “Sorry Lulu, I’m sure Kris will entertain you.”

 

Practically running from the cafeteria she didn’t stop until she had reached the main staircase, leaning against the edge and heaving as she attempted to catch her breath.  She had overreacted and despite keeping her promise to try and distance herself from the leader, she hoped that Luhan wasn’t too hurt.

 

“Oh, Kadence unnie!” a voice called, pulling her out of her thoughts and as she looked up she let out a curse, watching Gayun approach.

 

“Gayun, nice to see you again,” she greeted warmly and the girl beamed at her, skipping the last few feet.

 

“Unnie, I’m about to head up to the practice room, I was wondering if you could do me a favour please?” the Korean asked and Kadence waited expectantly.  “Could you ask Kris to meet me outside the room at ten o’clock?  He promised me a date.”

 

She couldn’t believe her ears and suddenly the sweet smile the girl had on her face was anything but, Kadence wondering whether Yoonhee was right about her feeling threatened.  Snapping out of it she realised she was yet to answer and shook her head.

 

“Sorry, but I’m not actually working today.  You’ll have to tell Wu Fan yourself,” she said and the girl’s face fell, her smile being replaced by a scowl.  “He’s in the cafeteria if you have time now.”

 

With that she walked away, her head held high.  It didn’t seem to be enough though as Gayun called out after her and with a sigh she halted, looking back.

 

“What were you doing here if you don’t have work?”

 

“Luhan was giving me a Mandarin lesson,” she informed and seeing the satisfied look on the younger one’s face, continued on.  Somehow despite standing up for herself she didn’t feel like she had achieved anything... except running away like a dog with its tail between its legs.  She hadn’t made it far when her phone went off and she answered it tiredly, wanting nothing more than to be back home under her blankets.

 

“Why did you run jie jie?”

 

“I told you Luhan, I have an appointment I forgot about.”

 

“Are you sure?  If you were running so late why did you stop to have a leisurely chat to Gayun?” he asked and she tightened her grip on the phone.  She wanted to curse the girl out, but knew better than to do so in front of Wu Fan’s friend.

 

“If by a leisurely chat you mean she asked me to play messenger for her relationship, to which I declined and continued, then yes, I had one,” Kadence said through gritted teeth, hearing silence on the other line.  “Sorry Lulu, I’ve been a bit stressed lately.”

 

“It’s okay, will I see you tomorrow?”

 

“You know where to find me,” she said before hanging up and letting out a sigh.  She needed to collect herself and quickly, before she started panicking every time she saw Wu Fan and Luhan, or anyone else clicked on.

 

_________________________________________-

I'm so sorry guys!  I've been working seven days a week between two jobs and have recently been out of town, so things have been a bit hectic.  But here you go, another installment! ^^