Chapter 18

Temptation of the Taken

Eighteen

Kadence stood back and looked at herself in the mirror.  Her long red hair was falling about her in loose curls that Yoonhee had expertly done; her face dusted in a light coating of make-up.  Nothing over the top, just enough to accentuate her features.  Taking a deep breath, she scanned over herself once more before it was time to go.

 

“Thanks for all your help Hee,” she said as the girl led her towards the door, squeezing her hand.

 

“Anytime Kay, now go out there and try and have some fun okay?” the Korean urged, pushing her out of the apartment.  With a wave Kadence made her way to the elevator, hitting the button to the ground floor.  Nerves were eating at her insides, though she couldn’t tell whether they were good or bad. 

 

After the fiasco with the scandalous employee Yoonhee decided that she would help Kadence become more proactive with moving on from her feelings for Wu Fan.  She had contacted an old friend from high school, someone who had nothing to do with the company, and set the pair up on a blind date.  When Kadence had found out her initial reaction was to decline the offer; unfortunately for her though Yoonhee knew how she worked and had already arranged everything, leaving her obligated to go. 

 

It was decided that he would pick her up from Yoonhee’s place, as he already knew where that was.  When she stepped outside she found a sleek car already waiting by the curb-side, a tall slim figure leaning against it.  Rushing forward she bowed in apology as she approached, and he stepped forward with a smile.

 

“You must be Kadence, Han Minhyun.  It’s a pleasure to meet you,” he greeted, bowing to her in return as he opened the car door for her.  She slid in with a thank you, catching her breath as he made his way around to the other side.  Yoonhee hadn’t told her much about the guy, only that they would suit each other.  Something about finding out about him on her own.  She hadn’t even mentioned how good looking he was.

 

“Sorry I’m a little late, Yoonhee was doting over me,” she apologised as he climbed into the driver’s seat and he let out a low chuckle.

 

“She never changes, she was like that in school too,” he mentioned, sliding the gear into place and pulling out of the park.  He glanced over at her once and she bit down on her lip, trying to hide the blush.  “She must have talked me up well if you’re happy to jump in a car with a stranger.”

 

“Actually she barely said anything, just assured me you weren’t some serial killer and to trust her on it.  What did she say or do to convince you?”

 

“Promised me a date with a pretty girl,” he said, causing her fading blush to deepen once more.  “I hope you don’t mind, she booked us into a restaurant nearby.  It shouldn’t take too long to get there.”

 

Kadence waved him off and it wasn’t too long before they pulled up in front of a Korean BBQ restaurant.  She smiled happily at it, though silently curse Yoonhee for her proficiency.  The girl knew she always loved the idea of a Korean BBQ, yet for some reason or other had never gotten around to visiting one.  The Korean was sneaky enough to ensure that her date would be one that could forever be associated with the place.  Kadence only hoped it would be good.

 

Minhyun announced their arrival to a nearby waiter and they were led to a small booth in the corner, Kadence’s eyes roaming over the facilities that were built into the table.  As they got comfortable he seemed to notice her fascination, grinning at her.

 

“I take it you’ve never been here before?” he asked and she shook her head, picking up the menu.  “Well then, perhaps I’m on the wrong side of the table to be teaching you.”

 

With that he shuffled around until he was sitting next to her, both of them deciding on what meats they wanted as the side dishes arrived.  Placing their order they sat back, Kadence stopping herself from filling up on everything else as they waited.

 

“So, Han Minhyun.  What do you do for a living?” she asked, giving in and plucking up a chopstick-ful of kimchi and placing it in .  He looked her over before leaning against the edge of the table, resting his chin in his hand.

 

“In true style of an Asian boy pushed by his parents I’m a solicitor at a law firm a few areas over.  Though on weekends I perform gigs at local venues.”

 

“Really?  What kind of stuff do you do?”

 

“Self composed, usually acoustic sets.  When Yoonhee first got a job at SM she suggested I audition actually.  But I know how the idol industry works and their style doesn’t really interest me,” he informed, picking at the food himself and thanking the waiter heartily as their meat arrived.  “What about you?  Yoonhee said you worked there with her, but didn’t say exactly what you did.”

 

“I’m a personal assistant to the staff who supports EXO-M.  I basically run around after Yoonhee and everyone else doing all their dirty work,” she explained, following his cue in placing the strips of meat onto the hot plate.  “You’ll teach me how to make Samgyupsal right?”

 

Minhyun chuckled and nodded, poking at and flipping the meat around so that it cooked evenly.  They continued to talk until the meat was done and he took up a lettuce leaf, holding it like a plate.  She followed suit and began adding things in, rolling the cup up once it was full and taking a bite out of it.

 

“You didn’t try any of the pig’s tongue,” Minhyun pointed out with a smirk and she scrunched her face up at the thought.  His grin only grew and he plucked a piece up with his chopsticks, holding it up for her.  “Come on, it tastes good, I promise.”

 

“It’s disgusting.  You don’t see me eating your tongue.”

 

“That’s because that’s cannibalism, plus I think we should know each other a bit better before that happens,” he said and she let out a laugh.  He took his chance to push the meat against her lips and she gave in.  She expected it to be terrible, quickly rolling her eyes when it tasted like any other meat.

 

“Alright so it tastes okay.  But I will pay you back,” she vowed and he waved her off.  They spent several hours at the restaurant, sitting back and talking once they had finished eating.  Kadence found she had quite a bit in common with him; but despite that she couldn’t help but wish for a flash of blonde hair or a gummy smile.

 

Eventually they moved, Minhyun offering to drive her home and she accepted.  Conversation died a bit in the car, though it was replaced by his voice as he sang along to the CD in the player.  When they pulled up, this time in front of her house, she climbed out of the vehicle before he could help her.

 

“Thank you for a lovely date,” she started, biting down on her lip as he moved close to her and he exhaled deeply, looking down at their feet.

 

“Thank you for a lovely date, but...?”

 

“But Yoonhee set this up for me to try and get over someone I have feelings for.  You’re a really great guy, and quite good looking.  Which is why I’d feel bad if I led you along under false pretences,” she said and he nodded, raising his head to look her in the eye.

 

“And you’re a really great girl, and quite good looking too.  Which is why I accept what you have to say.  But I’m still happy to exchange numbers if you want some more friends here in Seoul,” he replied and she broke into a grin, pulling out her phone.

 

After exchanging numbers and saying goodbye, she waited just inside the entrance for him to return to his car and disappear.  Turning around she began to ascend the stairs with a sigh.  Things were going to be tough if she couldn’t get past a first date with a guy as great as Minhyun, for someone there was no chance with.

_______________________________

Sorry for the long wait everyone! I've struggled since the last chapter as to what to write for this one.  I know what happens in the next couple of chapter, but this one was eluding me.  Alas, the solution hit me last night!

So this fiction is winding down now, there's only a few chapters left.  But I believe I have something else in the works that I shall post up when I have enough of it written.  For now though, I hope this was okay.