Chapter 15

Temptation of the Taken

Fifteen

Kadence could barely concentrate on the job at hand as she made her way around the needed businesses of Seoul and she could only hope that her apologies at least seemed sincere.  Whenever she walked into a new building all she could see was the office room back at SM, and every time she uttered the word ‘sorry’ she could hear Wu Fan’s voice in her ear.  She swore she could still feel his kiss and on multiple occasions had found herself tracing her fingers across her lips.

 

Clambering back into the car after the last business she pulled out her phone, finding a text message waiting.  She swallowed thickly as she registered the name, feeling a mixture of emotions as she opened it.  A million reasons as to why he shouldn’t be messaging her ran through her mind, but at the same time butterflies flooded her stomach.

 

It’s almost dark.

 

Despite it all she couldn’t help but chuckle, about to type a response when a call flashed across her screen.  She bit her lip when she saw Yoonhee’s name, unsure how to deal with the girl.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Hey Kay, how’s all the deliveries going?  Are you going to be back soon?” the girl asked brightly, shocking Kadence as she was reminded that everyone else but her and Wu Fan were unaffected by what had transpired.

 

“Good, I’m just heading back to SM now.  I hope my apologies seemed sincere enough.”

 

“Are you kidding?  I was speaking to Minah not long ago, a lot of the businesses have already rung up raving about the polite employee who had gone out on her own whim to visit them,” Yoonhee said and relief flooded through the redhead.  At least that was one less stress to worry about.  “So I was thinking we should grab some take away and head to yours for a bit of a celebration.”

 

“I don’t think it entitles anything of the sort, but sure.  When I get back I’ll talk to Minah quickly and then come find you, okay?” she suggested and the Korean replied positively.  Hanging up she turned her attention back to the text and tried to write the most general reply she could manage, informing him that she was done and headed to the SM building.

 

*  *  *

 

It took a little longer than expected for Kadence to escape from work, but eventually she and Yoonhee were settled in her apartment with their favourite take-away from a nearby restaurant.  Instead of sitting at the table as they usually did Kadence had opted for the couch, putting the television on for background noise.  As they started on their meals she listened to Yoonhee talk about her day off-handedly, hoping that she nodded at all the right times as she caught a whiff of Wu Fan’s scent on her amongst the food.

 

“How was your day?” Yoonhee finally asked and Kadence dragged her eyes up from her meal to look at the girl, planting a smile on her face and nodding.

 

“Busy, I’m actually surprised I got through all the places I needed to.”

 

“Right... and how about the rest of it?” the girl questioned, raising her eyebrow and the redhead played innocent, pretending not to have a clue what she meant.  Yoonhee rolled her eyes, prodding the girl with her chopsticks.  “Don’t give me that Kay, I know something’s up.  You’re not even on this planet, did you know you just responded with ‘that’s cool’ to me saying my dog died this morning?”

 

“What?!  Oh my God I’m so sorry Hee!”

 

“Kadence, I don’t even have a dog.  Now spill it,” Yoonhee probed, and the westerner looked away sheepishly, knowing she had been completely caught out and made a fool of.

 

“Fine, but you have to promise me that not a word of this will leave this place, in fact none of it will leave this couch, okay?” Kadence urged and the Korean frowned when she realised how serious the girl was, nodding.  “I don’t even know how to say it, am I supposed to sit here and be like ‘hey Yoonhee, how was your day?  Mine?  Oh it was great, Kris cornered me in a room and kissed me’?”

 

“Wait what?!  Did you just say he kissed you?” Yoonhee cried, dropping her chopsticks as fell open.  Shoving her food onto the coffee table she turned to face the now blushing girl, placing her hands on her shoulders and shaking her lightly.  “Tell me everything!”

 

“I don’t even know what happened Hee.  He offered to be my chauffeur and after I declined he chased me down the hallway, pushed me into a room and started yelling at me about how frustrated he was and how I was going to ruin him.  Then the next thing I knew he was all over me, and I was all over him and... I’m a home wrecker,” Kadence babbled, her blue eyes growing wide and she too placed her meal on the table next to them.

 

“Oh wow, this is big.  Do you have any idea what’s going to happen?” Yoonhee asked and she shook her head, raking a hand through her hair.

 

“I told him it was wrong because of Gayun and he agreed.  We haven’t spoken since... apart from him texting me to say it was getting dark and he’d send a search party soon.”

 

“Well that shows that he at least isn’t planning on ignoring you.  I think you should corner him in return though and have a talk, just so you know if you’re supposed to forget it all happened or not.”

 

“Like that’s going to happen,” Kadence pointed out and Yoonhee shot her a ‘you-know-what-I-mean’ look.  She let out a sigh, knowing that the girl was right; although she already knew what the outcome would be.  Wu Fan would tell her that it was all a mistake and now that he had gotten it out of him he could continue on with Gayun.  Although that was the exact reason that she had tried to avoid him so much, it didn’t help that she now knew exactly what his lips felt like.  She nodded as she picked her food up again and shovelled in a mouthful despite no longer feeling particularly hungry.   She almost choked on it however as Yoonhee spoke again.

 

“Told you I was right when I said Gayun felt threatened.”

 

“Oh my god Hee!  I just turned her boyfriend into a cheater, can we not bring that up?” she cried and the girl struggled to keep a straight face, mostly at her reaction.  It had brought up another point though, and Kadence fell into thought, poking at her food.  She was sitting here feeling guilty about it all, how much worse was he feeling?  And had he confided in anyone like she had?  She swallowed hard at the thought of turning up to work tomorrow and having one of the boys looking at her knowing exactly what happened.

 

Nevertheless it did feel good to have told Yoonhee about the incident, and as they both settled back into their meals they began to plan how best to approach Wu Fan about everything.