Chapter 14

Temptation of the Taken

Fourteen

Although Kadence knew that her stress had elevated things she was surprised by how true Wu Fan’s words were.  Minah had apologised sincerely to all their clients, explaining about the technical difficulties and ensuring that they weren’t, in fact, severing any services with them.  Kadence had taken it upon herself to arrange the complimentary gifts promised to them, which kept her blessedly busy considering that Wu Fan was once again trying to be the guardian angel.

 

“So everything’s set and ready to go?” she asked the man on the other end of the phone, a small smile appearing on her face with the affirmation.  Finally everything she had spent time organising over the last few days was falling into place and all that was left to do was deliver them.  When she told Minah of her idea to hand deliver each one she was met with a disapproving look.  ‘Won’t that take too much time out of your schedule?’ had been the lady’s main concern, but after explaining how guilty she still felt and her need to do this the woman had relented.  “Great, I’ll be down there to collect it as soon as I can.”

 

Hanging up she made her way down the hallway, letting Minah know via the now blessedly working radios, that she would be popping out.  She was just placing an order for one of the company drivers to her when Minseok skipped up to her, wrapping his arms around her.

 

“Hello to you too Seokie,” she greeted with a chuckle, returning his hug.  He peered at her curiously, obviously having overheard her order and frowned lightly.

 

“A driver?  Where are you going?” he asked, looking around them both as if it would provide the answer.  “And you look really happy today noona, I like it.”

 

“I’m going to drop the gifts off at the companies for the mess up,” she informed as he pulled the list of names and addresses out of her hand, his eyes growing wide as he browsed over it.

 

“But there’s so many here.”

 

“And I owe them all an apology,” she said as she snatched it back and he pouted, before turning around and beckoning to another figure that had just entered the hall.

 

“Kris, help!  Kadence thinks she’s going to go to all the companies and hand deliver their gifts,” he cried and the tall boy’s face grew dark as he approached.  Once more the list was snatched from her and she let out a groan.

 

“For Pete’s sake, it’s the least I can do.  I’ve already order the driver, so you can’t stop me.”

 

“Who’s Pete?  And yes we can, right Kris?” Minseok said defiantly, looking to the blonde for support.  His brow was knitted together sharply as he took in the number of businesses for himself.

 

“Cancel the driver, I have my licence and nothing better to do, I’ll take you,” he ordered and she shook her head, grabbing the paper and slipping it into her pocket.  There was no way in hell that she would be caught dead in a car alone with him.

 

“I’m fine thanks, it’ll take up too much of your time and I’m sure you’d have other... commitments to attend to before we’re done,” she declined, bowing to them both.  “I’ll see you later, yeah Seokie?”

 

The older boy nodded and she departed, striding down the hallway purposefully.  She pretended that she couldn’t hear the footsteps behind her, hoping that once she reached the stairs they’d lose their determination and leave her alone.  Unfortunately she never made it that far as a hand wrapped around her wrist and dragged her into a nearby office.  She watched the door wistfully as it swung shut, knowing that she would be encased in a room alone with Wu Fan.

 

“Do you really think I’m dumb enough to be fooled by this?” he questioned and she swallowed thickly, she had never actually heard him angry before, let alone have it aimed at her.

 

“I don’t-”

 

“Just drop it Kadence, alright?  Seriously, you avoid me like the plague when I’ve been nothing but nice to you.”

 

“You just said you weren’t dumb, though obviously you’re not smart enough to consider the fact that, that might be exactly the problem,” she bit back, straightening herself as he hit a nerve.

 

“Would you rather me act like a complete douche to you then?  Because that’s the way I’m heading if you keep this up.”

 

“Good, then perhaps I will, would sure make things a whole heap easier for me,” she snapped and he let out a growl, beginning to pace up and down as he ran his hands through his hair.  She bit down on her lip, backing up against the wall with his anger.

 

“Would it?  It’s a shame it wouldn’t do the same for me,” he started, flashing her a look as she gazed at him in confusion.  “You really don’t see how much you frustrate me do you?  How hard you make it for me to do the right thing.  I’m a good guy Kadence, it’s something I’ve been raised as and I’ve been proud to uphold, but you... you’re going to make me ruin everything.”

 

“What?  How am I going to do anything?  Are you seriously trying to blame me for something like that when I’ve done nothing?  I’m not even sure what the hell you’re going on about anymore Wu Fan.”

 

“Nothing?  Well for starters you insist by calling me that name,” he growled, pointing at her as he took a step towards her and she shrunk back.  “And then there’s just... you.”

 

He was hovering over her now and she flinched as he clenched his hand into a fist, slamming it against the wall above her head.  “I don’t even know what happened.”
 

His free hand grazed against her jaw and the next thing she knew his lips crashed down onto hers.  She was frozen, her heart beating wildly as she tried to process everything that was happening.  It all clicked into place and she couldn’t stop herself from kissing him back; tasting him hungrily as she wrapped her arms around his neck.  He breathed into her as he pressed her against the wall, his hands gripping at her hips and lifting her off the ground.  Reflexively she wrapped her legs around his waist, allowing his tongue entry once he began nibbling at her bottom lip.

 

He let out a low moan and all at once she realized just who he was and what they were doing.  Pulling back she looked at his swollen lips, his eyes closed almost painfully and rested her hands on his chest.  “Wu Fan... this is wrong, you have a girlfriend.”

 

He sighed, his eyes drifting open and he let her slide to the ground gently.  Rubbing his forehead he looked down at her, trying to smile.  “I told you, you would ruin everything.”

 

“Hey!-”

“Relax, it was my fault.  I just couldn’t help myself,” he said, looking at her sadly.  She cleared , smoothing her attire down and he followed her actions, indicating towards the door.  “I’m sorry...”

 

She nodded at his words and walked rather stiffly towards the door, turning around with her hand on the knob as he spoke again.  “Good luck with the deliveries.  Just so you know, I’ll send a search party if you’re not back by nightfall.”

 

Despite the awkward tension she couldn’t help but roll her eyes at his statement, taking a deep breath before pulling the door open and stepping into what seemed like a completely different reality.

____________________________________________

Well hey guys, welcome to my other favourite chapter haha.  I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.  What are your thoughts on Kadence and Kris?