Chapter 10

Temptation of the Taken

Ten

“What has he done to you now?” Yoonhee accused as soon as Kadence approached her and she sighed, both thankful and annoyed at the fact that the girl was beginning to know her so well.

 

“Not here,” she said and the Korean nodded.  Leaving the SM building they didn’t need to exchange a word to know that Yoonhee would get off a train stop early with Kadence and follow her to her apartment.  It was always their plan when they needed to talk beyond the boundaries of work; besides, it was nice to have some company in the lonely apartment.

 

It took them twenty minutes to get to the westerner’s place and once inside they dropped their stuff and fell into seats around the small kitchen table.  Kadence tapped her nails against the tabletop, preparing herself before she opened .  She didn’t get anywhere though, as Yoonhee held up a hand to stop her.

 

“I feel as if we should be discussing this over a tub of ice cream.  You have some yeah?”

 

“In the freezer... can you grab me a sweet bean bun too please?” she asked and Yoonhee nodded as she rose to her feet and headed to the kitchen.  Kadence watched through the gap as the Korean rummaged in the freezer, producing the sweets and returning.  Handing her a spoon and the bun, the girl took a seat once more and opened the tub.

 

“Now spill.”

 

“I had the pleasure of meeting his girlfriend this evening,” she informed and Yoonhee grimaced as she stabbed her spoon into the still rock hard ice cream.  Despite feeling down Kadence couldn’t help but smile in amusement at her antics.  “She’s beautiful Hee.”

 

“Beauty doesn’t mean anything if she has the personality of a bag of rocks.”

 

“That’s the problem, she seems smart, and hard working, and really nice.  She was concerned when she heard I had been sick,” Kadence sighed, tearing open the bun packet and taking a bite.  “She was clinging to him and looking up at him all loving like.”

 

“Oh god, please don’t tell me they went all lovey dovey couple on you?” Yoonhee gagged, finally managing to scoop some ice cream out and sticking it into .  Kadence shook her head, only imagining her reaction if they had been.

 

“Kris was actually rather stiff the whole time.”

 

“I reckon Gayun was all over him because she felt threatened.”

 

“What on earth would she have to feel threatened about?  She’s practically a walking goddess,” Kadence said doubtfully, idly smearing her bun with ice cream and the Korean scoffed, pointing her spoon at the redhead.

 

“Uh, because you’re pretty too?  You should hear the guys at work talk about you, in fact the other day EXO-K were saying how they wished you were their PA instead,” she insisted and Kadence almost choked on her food with the admission.  That was definitely something she hadn’t heard.

 

“I think you’re being delusional.”

 

“No, I’m not. I bet she was standing there wishing she had porcelain skin, and big blue eyes,” Yoonhee said, a victorious smile flashing across her face and Kadence realised what she had been implying.  This would have been the moment her hopes had crashed, if she had, had any.

 

“Hee, that’s no reason for her to feel uneasy.  Kris grew up in Canada remember, he’s hardly going to fling himself at the first foreigner that comes along,” she pointed out and the girl’s face fell with the logic.  “Besides, it’s not some competition; I’m not trying to woo him away from her.”

 

“What are you going to do about him then?” Yoonhee asked and Kadence sighed, finishing the last of the sweet bean bun and placing her spoon down.

 

“I don’t know... I guess try and distance myself from him.  Limit my interactions to professional ones.  I mean my immune system’s better than ever now, so it’s not like he has to keep nursing me,” she replied, biting down on her bottom lip.

 

“Don’t you think he’ll notice if you still spend time with the other boys, but basically don’t talk to him?” Yoonhee posed and she shrugged.

 

“I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it I guess.”

 

*  *  *

 

Buried under the covers the next day, Kadence groaned as her phone went off, interrupting the peace of the room.  She scowled as she read the caller id, glad that she didn’t have to feign honoraries.

 

“What is it Lulu?” she asked, finding it typical that the boy would ruin her one day off in the week.

 

“I’ve done my schedules for the day, but I can’t leave until the others are ready.”

 

“And?”

 

“And I’m bored, where are you?”

 

“In bed.”

 

“Oh jie jie, stop being so lazy and come to the SM building.  I’m sitting in the cafeteria,” he whined and she almost dropped the phone as she struggled to sit up.

 

“Are you serious Luhan?  It’s my one day off.”

 

“I promise I will help you study, then you can say you were productive,” he begged and she let out a groan.  Her plan had been to study more Mandarin when she finally dragged herself out of bed, and she knew that the boy was using it to his advantage.

 

“Fine, I’ll see you in half an hour.  You owe me,” she sighed, hanging up.  Cursing under her breath she pulled herself from beneath the covers and trudged towards the bathroom.

 

_________________

 

Sorry there's been a little gap between posting.  I hope you enjoy the update though.  I really need to get writing more so that I don't catch up with posting and leaving you waiting eons.  Unfortunately it's hard finding time when I work 7 days a week -_-