Chapter 7

Temptation of the Taken

Seven

The next day Kadence tried her best to put all her enthusiasm into her work, though fell short on success.  She was tired and felt utterly miserable over her dream and the shock she had received.  So far she had only seen Wu Fan once, and had forced away any fluttering of emotions that occurred upon the sighting; an effort that thankfully seemed to have worked.  Despite that she couldn’t bring herself to spend her lunch break studying in some out of the way corner and instead found herself in Yoonhee’s studio.

 

“There is nothing for me to do since calling the tailor’s,” the girl sighed as they sat around her table and Kadence looked at her strangely, placing a carrot stick in .

 

“Then what have you been doing for the past ten minutes?” she asked, pointing to the drawing board they were centred around.

 

“These are concepts for outfits I would make if I had my own fashion label,” Yoonhee replied, urging the foreigner to shuffle next to her.  When she did so, Kadence’s eyes grew wide and she snatched one of the sheets off the easel.

 

“Are you kidding me?  These are amazing Hee!  Reckon you could make me some of these?”

 

“Sure... if you supplied me with the material I’d need.  But enough about me, what’s up with you?  You’ve been moping all day,” the dark-haired girl probed, poking Kadence in the side and she winced, shaking her head.

 

“Nothing.”

 

“And I’m the emperor’s son.  Spill it.”

 

“I just... I’ve fallen for someone I shouldn’t,” she admitted, looking down at her lunch box and stabbing blindly at the food.  She was scared to bring the issue to light, though was sick of holding it in.

 

“Who is it?” Yoonhee pushed, but Kadence sat mutely.  The girl stared at her for several moments before her eyes grew wide, dropping open slightly.  “Oh my god, is it Kris?”

 

“Shut up!  And aigoo, am I that obvious?” the redhead cried, smacking herself in the forehead and Yoonhee quickly shook her head, taking the girl’s hand.

 

“No, not at all.  I had no idea... I just thought about what you said and he fit.”

 

“Good.  It doesn’t matter anyway, because I’m going to get over him,” she said determinedly, flashing a smile at her friend.  Wrapping an arm around her, she pulled the Korean into a hug.  “Thanks Hee, I feel better getting that out of me.  Now, find out how much that material will cost while I go back to work, before it’s my head on the chopping block.”

 

Promising that she would catch up with the girl later and tell her everything, Kadence left the room, not making it far down the hallway before coming to a halt.  Leaning against a table she let out a sigh, needing a moment to collect herself.  Unfortunately for her though, fate seemed to have other ideas as she saw the centre of her dramas striding towards her.

 

“Oh so now you’re in the hallway, do you know how many rooms I’ve searched already?” he said as he approached and she looked at him in confusion.  He held out a small can of green tea and she shook her head, recognising it from the vending machine.

 

“You didn’t have to do that.”

 

“Yes I did.  Now take it,” he urged, pushing it into her hands and she followed his wishes.  Seating himself on the table next to her, she took a shaky breath, opening the can with a click.

 

“Did you seriously start searching the whole building just to give me this?”

 

“Well I had the money and a spare moment, so I thought I better take the chance.”


“What would you have done if I was out in the city running errands?” she enquired and his brow furrowed as he thought about it, eventually shrugging.

 

“I guess I would’ve had to drink it myself then,” he said and she chuckled, shaking her head as she took a mouthful of the drink.

 

“Well, thank you then,” she said and he smiled at her gently, pushing himself off the table.  He turned to face her and she waited expectantly, wondering what he was going to say next.

 

“I keep meaning to tell you, I know you’re a master of the languages like myself, but you don’t have to call me Wu Fan.  Feel free to call me Kevin,” he told her and she thought for a moment before scrunching her face up.

 

“No, I don’t think you suit Kevin.”

 

“Oh... well you can always call me Kris then, I have to get used to the name anyway,” he said and she nodded.  He farewelled her and she watched as he started down the hallway.  She knew she should leave it there and continue her day, but unable to help herself she called after him.

 

“Can I call you Wu-Kris?”

 

He turned around, a disgusted look on his face and she bit down on her bottom lip.  “God no, I’m not a three hundred pound orange blob with dental problems.”

 

She let out a laugh as he disappeared into a room, a smile still plastered across her face when she had sobered.  Perhaps there was no use liking him anymore, but that definitely didn’t mean they couldn’t be friends.