Chapter 5

In Time By Your Side

Its so weird how things can change. How you can love someone then suddenly feel raging hate for them. How you can hate someone, then come to see they're not that bad. Its funny how things work. I never thought I would be like this with you. That we would have gotten here, but we did, and for that I appreciate it.

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

You made your dad some rice and gave it to him. You were so sleepy. So much had happened in the past couple of days. You called Kai after you settled into bed. He didn't answer. Weird. You instantly fell alseep. 

 

***

You went to school on time today, Kai was there to get you. When you walked through the halls with Kai you felt like people were staring at you and whispering to their friends. You didn't mind it though because there was nothing to talk about. 

When you walked into the classroom it was even worse. You walked by and heard a bunch of chatter. 

"." You heard someone say. You ignored it, how could that be directed towards you? You saw Tao was already there but he wasn't making eye contact with you. You didn't really mind though.

 

When you got to the basement Kai and SoHee were silent.

"Whats going on guys..?" You asked.

"I dont know, ____. You tell me." Kai said sounding frustrated. 

"Okay, why is everyone acting so weird today?" You asked.

"Theres rumors going around about you and Tao. That you guys kissed in the classroom after hours 2 days ago.." SoHee said. You rolled your eyes. "So what? It was just a stupid kiss. I didn't even want it. Are these Tao groupies really that desperate?" You thought.

"Well... did you!?" Kai asked.

"No, she didn't.." SoHee answered for you. You knew you had to tell them truth.

"Actually.. I'm sorry SoHee.... but I didn't want you to get hurt. I know how much you like Tao. He kissed me! I didn't even ask for it! I pushed him off immediately! I'm so sorry!" You said quickly.

"Oh, its ok. I forgive you!" SoHee said smiling. Kai was quiet. The bell rang and it was time to go back to class. SoHee left because she was going to go talk with JaeMi. On your way to class you heard some girls talk about you as you walked by, "There's _____! She's the one that kissed Tao!" you heard one girl poorly "whisper" to her friend. "Kissed? I heard she slept with him! That's why they were both late for school yesterday!" "Oh, he's not the only one! She's hooking up with Kai too." "No way!" "I know right? You wouldn't expect it from a student like her." 

You couldn't believe what you were hearing. People were actually saying this about you? You had to find Tao. Was he the one who started the rumors....? You saw Tao walking to class. "Ya! Tao!" You yelled out to him, you grabbed his hand and drug him over behind the building.

"Have you heard the rumors?" You asked him.

"The rumors about you? Yeah. Crazy, huh?" He replied, calmly.

"Wait, so you mean there's only rumors about me?!" You asked, getting angry. Tao nodded his head. "Of course. Guys only get applauded for this type of stuff..." "Tell them nothing happened!" You demanded.

"Sure.. whatever." Tao said, "we should really get to class now..." You took in a deep breath and you both walked to class. When you got into the classroom people started snickering and whispering. Jealous girls' eyes were glaring at you and guys were laughing. You looked over at Tao. "It probably wasn't a good idea to show up here together..." You thought. You sat down in your seat and some girl threw a paper ball at you. You didn't even bother looking at what it said. You really didn't want to know. Your friend SoHee rubbed your shoulder trying to give you some reassuring look. You weren't going to let the rumors bother you. At least you and your friends knew the truth... Except for Kai. You had to explain everything to him as soon as you were done with cleaning duty.

 

You and Tao didn't talk too much during cleaning. "Have you started crushing the rumors yet?" You asked Tao.

"I will, I will." Tao said not really caring. You just rolled your eyes. Of course he wouldn't take this seriously, his reputation was still fine. 

"I need to go, please, just finish cleaning yourself." You said taking your bag and leaving.

 

You headed to Kai's house. You weren't going to bother trying to call him. You wanted to clear up everything straight to his face. You knocked on his door. 

"Oh, Hello mum!" You said bowing when Kai's mum opened the door. You knew his mum well, so she insisted you called her that. She was like a second-mother to you. You were very thankful for her. "Is Kai home?"

"_____! I Haven't seen you in a while!" Kai's mum said embracing you in a big bear hug. "I missed you! How have you been?" 

"Good, actually." You said not wanting to worry her.

"And your father?" She asked looking at you like she was trying to read you.

"Just the usual." You said with a sigh. 

"Its okay, honey. Things will get better. I promise! And Kai is upstairs in his room." She said letting you inside. 

His door was already open and he was laying on his bed, blasting music. You tapped on his shoulder and waved at him. "Oh, hey _____." Kai said sitting up and taking out his earphones. 

"You don't believe all those rumors right...?" You said sitting next to him. 

"Aiiisshh, have you heard them!? They're so sick. Of course I don't believe them. I know you wouldn't ever.. even though you did kiss Tao...." Kai said, playing with his earphones.

"But the kiss was forced onto me. Its not like I asked for that or anything..." You said just wishing everyone would forget about it.

"I understand. He's going to squash the rumors though, right? Heck, I haven't heard any about him!" Kai said sounding offended.

"Yeah, he said he was going to.. I hope he sticks to his word." You said hopefully. You needed Tao to end the rumors more than anything. 

"Knock! Knock! Who wants some mochi ice cream?" Kai's mum said at the door cheerfully. You and Kai looked at each other and smiled. "Just like old times." You thought.

"I love you mum!" You laughed as Kai raced you down stairs.