Chapter 1

In Time By Your Side

"Ya! _____! Hurry up! We need to go!" You heard your best friend Kai yell to you outside your window. School had just started again after spring break. You tied your shoe quickly and sprinted down the stairs. Today you guys were getting new classes and you both were super excited.

You hopped onto the back of Kai's bike and he started peddeling as fast as he could. "Hurry! Hurry!" you teased.

Finally you got to school. Kai locked his bike onto the bike racks. You both walked up to the office trying to get through all the other students crowded around the class charts. "Ya! ______!" You heard your friend SoHee call out to you. You waved her over and she joined in with the crowd. Finally, Kai pushed through the crowd and got you to the front of the line. You all started rapidly searching for your names. You shoved your way out of the lines and you all met up. 

"I got class B1!" SoHee exclaimed. Your eyes brightened up. "Oh my gosh, me too!" You both hugged each other. Then you noticed Kai didn't look so excited, so you both started to calm down. 

"I got class B2..." he said, sadly. You were really disappointed to hear this. You and Kai had had the same classes together ever since Junior High. You gave him a half-hug. "Its okay... at least your classroom is right next to ours!" You added trying to lighten the mood. The first bell rang meaning students needed to get to class quickly, unless they wanted cleaning duty on the first week back after break.

You got to class and sat next to the window. SoHee sat beside you. You both kept your eyes peeled on the door looking for any of your other friends who may have gotten the same class. You guys knew a few people but, it wasn't anyone you both really knew. Shortly after, class started. You were about 15 minutes into the introductions when someone came into the classroom - slowly and cooly.  "Exuse me?" The teacher said sternly.

"Is this class B1?" the boy asked. 

"Excuse me, who are you?" The teacher asked again.

"I said, is this class B1?" the boy asked again.  There was a tense silence. No one ever dared talked to the teacher that way, everyone was intimidated. The teacher looked through the roster then said, "Ah, Huang Zi Tao? Oh, so you're the exchange student from China? Well, I don't know what you guys learn over there but-" Tao started to walk away and sat in the seat right behind you. You felt your stomach drop, your heart was racing. "No...No...No..." You thought.  The teacher cleared his voice and said, "Well class, where was I?" and countinued on with the lecture. Not many people were paying much attention though, everyone was looking around at each other, mouthing words. Did that boy really just disrespect a teacher? And did the teacher really just let him go so easily? You weren't really joined into the silent chatter because this new 'bad boy' was sitting right behind you. 

Finally, after what seemed like forever it was time to go. You quickly collected your things and rushed out the door. SoHee was right behind you. You both looked at each other and knew exactly where to go, the school basement. No one went there except for you and your two friends. Everyone thought it was old and abandoned plus there was a bunch of rumors about ghosts. However, you all found it really nice, because you wouldn't be bothered and it was time to get away from everyone else and just talk during school. 

"Oh my god!! Oh my god! Oh my god!" SoHee said as soon as you both got into the basement. You were still trying to wrap your head around the whole situation. "I cant believe that just happened! Do you know how much trouble that boy is going to get in!? And he sits right behind you ____!"

"Yeah, I kinda noticed SoHee." You replied. The basement door opened and in came Kai dashing through. 

"Did you guys hear about the new kid!?" was the first thing he said after he caught his breath.

"He's in our class!" SoHee replied. "That much has already gotten around the school?" 

"No, one of the kids in my class was telling us about him a little bit before class started. His name is Huang Zi Tao and he comes from a filthy rich family. Its ridiculous to be honest. So, I guess his mum made him fly out to Korea, so he can learn to be by himself for a while. Since, you know, everything has been handed to him his whole life. Its really stupid though, I don't see the whole point in it because they're still sending him a bunch of money every month."

"Oh my god! He's rich? Aiiiishhh. That explains why he's so snotty.... He was giving the teacher a hard time this morning! That stuck-up kid... I do have to admit he is really handsome though...."

"SoHee!" You said, seriously. "He's bad! And we need to stay away from him, we don't need to get caught up in silly little games this year. Okay?"  Kai nodded his head and SoHee playfully rolled her eyes and agreed.

You guys heard the bell ring which meant it was time to head back to class.