Chapter 15

In Time By Your Side

"Hi Tao." You said, keeping your voice nonchalant as you sat down next to Tao in some old abandonded classroom. There was just one table which you could tell Tao had to wipe off when he first got there - cobwebs and dust were stacked layer over layer all over the classroom. "Geez, when was the last time they used this place? 1844?" Tao started to laugh and you blushed a little in embarassment that he had heard you.

"You know, they stop using this classroom when a teacher died here during the Japanese invasion. Its said that she was hung-" Tao stopped when your load outburst of laughing inturrupeted him.

"Really Tao? The Japanese invasion? From the 1500's? If you're going to try to scare me at least actually try." You replied then realizing what you were doing. Chatting with Tao, joking, laughing.. "No. You're supposed to be studying. Focus!" You thought to yourself. You cleared your throat, "Anyways, what are we going to be going over today?"

"Ah, how about the lessons from last week? Then tomorrow we can start going over the ones from this week." Tao suggested.

"Sounds like a plan." You agreed, getting out your notes. Y

ou showed Tao what you were confused on and he showed you how it worked. Tao gave you a few problems to try out which were difficult as ever for you, so it quiet for a while as you tried to figure out the answers. You didn't even notice the quietness, but finally you noticed Tao did because he had been sat there tapping his fingers on the side of his leg for the past few minutes. You looked up at Tao and immediately looked down at your paper again because he was already looking at you. You felt your face go red again. "How embarassing.." You tensed up a bit when Tao cleared his voice. 

"_____." Tao said, weakly. You just kept your eyes on your paper trying to appear like you didn't really care about anything. "I'm.. I'm sorry." Tao said finally. Your hand started shaking and you dropped your pencil. You wouldn't dare look up at Tao. He was sorry? Sorry for what? For what had happened last semester? "Its just.. that.. I never got to apologize and it was killing me.." "Ah, of course, it was beating Tao up inside. He knew what he did had hurt me and he just needed to feel like he had been forgiven. Like he hadn't done anything wrong. He needed 'closure'." You thought, noticing you were still tense but now shaking out of anger.

"Sorry? For what? Oh, that thing that happened last semester? Ha ha, I had nearly forgotten about it! Its no biggie Tao. You and SoHee are super cute and meant for each other anyway!" Your voice cracked on the last part. Your head started racing as you analyzed everything you had just said and noticed how cheerful and happy-go-lucky you sounded. How fake you sounded. It was quiet now. You couldn't take it anymore, you just wanted to scream. "I should go." You quickly said as you collected your things and rushed out the door. You kept walking quickly, faster, almost in a full run to anywhere. You couldn't even think. You were so mad, angry. Why were you always put back into Tao's path? Couldn't you two just forget each other ever existed? That's all you wanted to do. Get back to your old life. You were so tired of this. Your thoughts were all over the place, your legs ended up having a mind of their own, leading you up to some place comfortly familiar to you. You had ended up at Kai's house. You didn't hesistate knocking on his door, you obviously were meant to be here if you had unconciously taken yourself here. After three knocks Kai opened up the door. 
 

"Wow, _____.. surprising.. why.." Kai was quiet, looking at you, reading you. He could tell something wasn't right and you just wanted him to hug you in that moment. To not say anything and instead just hug you.

"Can I go inside?" You asked quietly. Kai lead you inside. "Mum is already sleeping?" Kai nodded. You just went up stairs to Kai's room and fell back onto his bed, letting out a huge sigh, trying not to allow your head to go frantic again. Kai sat next to you, quiet, waiting for you to feel ready to tell him what happened. All of a sudden everything just poured out of you, you couldn't stop it. How Tao was tutoring you, how Tao had asked you to keep it a secret, how weird and uncomfortable it has been, how you keep trying to forget everything about last semester, how Tao tried to apologize to you, how everything just seems to not be working. How you just want to be the positive girl you used to be. As soon as you were done speaking tears fell down your cheeks uncontrollably. Kai didn't hug you this time and you didn't understand why. He just sat there, quietly. "I'm sorry.. I just.. I don't know. I'll go. I'm sorry." You said getting up off Kai's bed wiping your eyes, trying to calm your tears. As your hand reached for the door knob you felt warmth surround your body. "Kai.." You started crying again and turned around to bury your head in his chest. 

"Don't be sorry. This isn't your fault. I promise you, things will get better, if not, you always have me. Remember?" Kai asked softly. You knew exactly what he was talking about. That day, last semester, when Kai had comforted you at the beach. "You have people in your life that care about you and love you a lot.." 

"Like you." You finished, like you had at the beach. You crying had stopped now and you had looked up at Kai, Kai looking back down at you. Without thinking you kissed him. He kissed back - it all felt so natural. Like this was what was supposed to happen. Like this was how things were meant to be. You stopped kissing Kai first and you both just started at each other in perfect silence. What now? What does this mean? Questions, that made your mind race but not in a pounding way started to cloud your thoughts. Without thinking you brought up the kiss from weeks ago. The one you had dreamed about. "I had a dream we kissed. The night we went to the park.."

Kai started to laugh, playing with a strand of your hair. "Random much?" You started to giggled and blushed from Kai's teasing. "Hm, a dream? I remember it being real." Kai said dropping the strand of your hair and your heart began pounding as you felt Kai's eyes searching yours. You looked down you never felt this way about Kai. Obviously, you had because you had liked him for so long but now this feeling that had always been lurking in the back of your mind was full force. You just wanted to kiss Kai again. Stay here with him. Never leave his side. Just lie there and tell each other everything - not like you both didn't already know everything - but just bring up old memories, anything.

"Kai.." you said quietly, lingering on his name, still debating whether or not to make a full out confession right here and right now, in this moment. "I've liked you for years now." The words slipped out and you wanted to take them back. "Maybe I should have just kept that to myself. How is he going to react? What's going to happen if all of this was purely out of friendsh-" You train of thought crashed into another train of thought, causing sparks to go off in your mind creating a dizziness that you didn't mind as Kai's lips reached yours again.

The rest of the night you and Kai sat on the floor of his room, your backs leaning against his bed, your head rested on his shoulder and just talked. You talked about what this meant for your friendship, how the feeling had been mutual for both of you as long as either of could remember. Kai would play with your fingers as you two spoke. Sometimes there would just be a comfortable silence floating through the air and those were the moments you liked best. The moments that you wish would never end.

 

***

When you woke up in the morning you were lying on the floor, your head in Kai's lap, Kai still sat up the way he was last night. You kept replaying everything about last night just to make sure none of it was a dream. This was real, this was actually happening and for once things felt like they were how they were supposed to be.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

////// quick chapter - will finishing editing later ~ enjoy! sorry for any mistakes! x //////