THE PLAN

BESTFRIENDS IN LOVE

 

She woke up at the sound of her alarm. It seems like it’s just the usual morning but to her this will be a different day. She made her usual morning rituals: eat her breakfast, prepare for school and go meet Yong Hwa infront their house.

As soon as she step out of her house, she already saw Yong Hwa waiting for her.

She gave a wide smile and greeted him, “Annyeong Yong Hwa!”

“Oh, you seem to be in a very good mood today, huh?”

“Yeah! Isn’t it a lovely day today?” With her wide smile still plastered on her face.

“Aniyo!” He disagreed and showed his toothy grin to her.

“Ya! You’re ruining my moment! Hmp!” She remarked as she pouted.

“Today isn’t just the lovely day. Everyday is a lovely day being with you. Ah! You’re acting cute again! Did you know that you can just let anyone fall for you by just doing that?”

“Tsssh. Whatever! And so?”

“And so you are only allowed to do that when you’re with me! Ara?”

“Whatever.” Then, out of habit she just made her usual pout again. “Oh by the way, Umma is inviting you for dinner tonight, are you free?”

“Not that pout again!” With a smile, he just put his arms around her shoulders to get them started walking heading to school. “Oh really? Sure I’ll go. It’s been a while since I have a talk with Umma and Appa.”

Yong Hwa calls Shin Hye’s parents Umma and Appa  and so with Shin Hye to Yong Hwa’s parents. Their parents are even the ones who let them call them as such. They find it amusing especially the fact that it’s like having two sets of parents to look after them.

“Oh yeah right. Haven’t seen your parents for quite sometime too. Don’t they miss me?”

“Who says they missed you?”

“Ya!”

“They actually missed you so much that they keep on asking me about you. The way they miss you actually seems like you’re their real child and not me,” he chuckled while telling this bit of information to Shin Hye.

“Oh. Umma and Appa are really so sweet. Why didn’t you tell me? I could have paid them a visit sooner.”

“You see they are always on a business trip recently. So there’s really no way you can meet them now. But they would love to see you when they come here.”

“Really? Tell them I’ll go visit them when they come here, ara? We’re here! I’ll see you later! And don’t forget the dinner later, ara?”

Yong Hwa just managed to nod as Shin Hye went ahead to her class already. In his thoughts, “Aish, Shin Hye! Wouldn’t it be nice if I could tell them that you are my girl already? That’s actually what they kept on asking me lately. Why haven’t you given your answer yet?” He sighed at the thought.

Although he knew that Shin Hye is not seeing any other guys beside him, he still couldn’t put his mind at ease knowing that Shin Hye could just find another one that she liked.

As he was going to his class, his mind kept on wandering about Shin Hye and how long would he still have to wait until she gave him her heart. He didn’t mind waiting at all. But the uncertainty of waiting is what keeps him from all the uneasiness he is feeling right now. Or will it end up that Shin Hye decided for them to just stay friends because she already has someone she liked all along. That is something he feared the most.

Shin Hye’s class ended earlier as usual. She took the time to go to the library first before heading out to their meeting place with Yong Hwa.

“Shin Hye!”

She turned around upon hearing her name.

“Oh Oppa! Annyeong!”

“It’s been a while since we met. How are you?”

“Doing just fine, Oppa.” She smiled at him

“Leaving now?”

“Ah ne. Just borrowed some books. I’m heading out now. Yong Hwa might have been waiting for me already.”

“Oh, Yong Hwa. Is it alright if I walk with you? I’m also already heading out.”

“Ah sure. No problem.”

They were happy making some small chats when Yong Hwa saw them. He felt another pang of jealousy. He just can’t take it seeing her smile with another guy. “Is it because of him that’s why you have not given your answer yet??” His thoughts are making him angry.

He was surprised when she saw him. She immediately ran towards him, linked her arms with his, turned around to Hyun Jin and bid him goodbye.

All his jealousy and anger suddenly melted. “Aish! This girl! You’re really making me crazy!” was all he can say in his thoughts.

“What’s that look?” She noticed him.

“Nothing!”

“Don’t tell me it’s nothing. There’s something and I know it. Tell me!” She’s teasing him. He really can’t hide anything from her.

“Ya! Stop it. Don’t ask if you know it already.”

“Aish! Hyun Jin-oppa is just a friend. Nothing more.” She then gave him a teasing look that says, “Happy now?”

“Ya! Shin Hye! Stop teasing me like that! You haven’t given me any answer at this time and I just see you all happy with another guy?”

“Look, who’s being jelly?” She stuck her tongue out to him.

“Ya! I’m serious!”

“Let’s hurry! Umma and Appa could be waiting for us already.”

“Shin Hye!!!!”

She just gave him a teasing smile and she continued teasing him for the rest of their way.

“We’re here!” Shin Hye announced their presence as soon as they step in the house.

“Yong Hwa, it’s been a while. You’ve grown to be such a handsome lad! Come! Come! Dinner table’s ready.”

“Oh Umma! Annyeong!” He just smiled at Shin Hye’s umma’s compliment.

“Umma, stop complimenting him! He’ll just brag about it to me afterwards!"

“Isn’t it true?” Her mother winked at him.

“Oh by the way, thank you for inviting me to the dinner. I just wonder what’s the occasion?” He asked with curiosity.

“It’s actually Shin Hye who asked to have this dinner. Don’t tell me she didn’t tell you?” Her mom looked at her with disbelief.

“Aniyo…”

He was about to tell something but before he could continue, Shin Hye cut him off.

“I think we better go now to the dine area. Appa is there already waiting for us. Kaja!”

They started dinner with small talks catching up especially that Yong Hwa has not visited the Park’s household for quite sometime. They seemed to be enjoying the night especially Yong Hwa having to get to talk with Shin Hye’s parents after sometime.

“Oh, by the way Shin Hye, what’s this dinner all about?” Her mother brought back the subject why they were having a dinner with Yong Hwa in the first place.

“Oh good you still remember me. I thought you’re just going to do all your catching up all along. I shouldn’t have invited Yong Hwa if I just knew this will just going to happen.” She remarked with sarcasm but in a teasing way and gave them her most endearing pout.

They all laughed at her comment and her pout.

“Sweetie, you haven’t changed a bit. I couldn’t believe Yong Hwa here was able to endure you all this time.” Her appa told her while laughing his heart out seeing his cute daughter.

“Appa!” She whined then pouted again.

This made them all laugh again.

“Alright. Let’s get back to business. So what are you going to tell us that you planned this dinner for us including Yong Hwa?” Her umma sent them back to the original purpose of the dinner.

“Ah that. Oh I just want to introduce you to my special someone. I was thinking that it is best that it will be done here with all of you as witnesses.” She smiled widely.

“Awww..our baby’s now in love. Is he coming? Where is he?” Her appa remarked.

“Of course, he’s here!” She smiled as she stand up as if to leave the dining area and get the guy she is referring to.

Yong Hwa almost choked out the food his chewing when Shin Hye stand up. Deep inside he's hurting but he could not just let them know. All this time, Shin Hye has another guy whom she loved more than him. It hurt him but he has to accept his loss and be happy to whatever will make her happy. He just lost the girl she loved just as he thought.

She went over to Yong Hwa’s side.

“I want you to meet Yong Hwa not as my chingu but as my namjachingu!” Her smile hasn’t left her still.

Yong Hwa was then drinking when she made the announcement. He almost spilled out the water his drinking. His eyes widened. He couldn’t believe what he just heard. Just a while ago, his heart’s already sulking and tearing apart now it is jumping out of joy.

Her parents are very happy. They have known Yong Hwa so long and they would always want someone like him for their daughter. They trust him enough that there won’t be any problem if they become couple someday. And that someday is happening now.

“That is great news, dear! Congrats!” Her mother and father said in unison.

“You surprised me!” was all he could say as he held her hands and looked at her flashing his toothy grin.

“Hmmm..let’s continue our dinner, then.”

Shin Hye went back to her seat and continue eating. By the looks of it, everyone was just so happy. Yong Hwa was the happiest. He wanted to shout to the whole world that he just had the most wonderful girl. But since they are having dinner with Shin Hye’s parents, he had to resist them. But he just can’t take his eyes out of Shin Hye. He was staring at her as if she’s going to melt anytime.

“Yong! Stop that!” Shin Hye couldn’t hold his stare any longer.

“What?”

“Focus on your food!”

Her parents couldn’t help but feel giddy over their daughter and Yong Hwa’s cuteness.

“They really look so adorable!” They said again in unison as they look at each other smiling.

After the dinner, Yong Hwa and Shin Hye went to the veranda to catch some fresh air.

“Ya! You planned this all along didn’t you?”

“Waeyo? You didn’t like it? I can always take it back…”

“Aniyo.” He cut her off before she could say more then gave her a back hug. “Of course, I like it. I’ve been waiting for this like forever. I was just surprised how you did it. You really know how to surprise me, huh?”

“Ya! What are you doing?” She tried to escape from his backhug.

“Waeyo? Can’t I hug my jagiya?”

“Umma and appa might see us.”

“It’s as if I’m doing something bad to you. It’s just a hug.”

She then let him hug her for a while.

“Yong, it’s getting late. We still have school tomorrow.”

“Ya! After you just accepted me as your jagiya, you’re pushing me away already?”

“Ya! That’s not it! It’s as if this is the only day we have.”

“No! This day is special! You see. You just made me the happiest man in the world!”

“Whatever, Yong! Go home! I might take back what I said when I don’t see you tomorrow when I open our gate.”

He smiled then kissed her forehead.

“Ara. I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

“What was that for?”

“A goodnight kiss! Good night, my sweetie!”

“Ya! Better be safe going home!”

She smiled as he bid him goodbye.