THE CAMPUS HEARTTHROB

BESTFRIENDS IN LOVE

 

He’s the most popular guy in the campus. He has the looks and brains that all girls are at awe to him. He is also the leader of their school’s band. However, he has a snob attitude that only a few people can get near him. Only one girl can go beside him and talk to him casually. She is his bestfriend since middle school. She’s the only girl that can get through his personal space.

Lying on the campus hill is his favorite pastime to de-stress himself the day’s school works. He goes there everytime he feels burned out or even when he has nothing else to do to get some peace of mind. Just like this one sunny afternoon.

He closed his eyes to feel the warmth of the sun’s rays on his skin. The weather is not too hot that the sun’s rays felt good to touch on his skin. He found it soothing that it can lull him to sleep. As he was about to drool down for a nap, he smelled a familiar scent. He knew that the person is standing above his head.

Without bothering to open his eyes he said, “What do you need?” to as if tell the person that he recognized the presence. He knew it was Shin Hye.

“Ya! Have you developed some kind of ESP?” sounding amazed as to how her bestfriend knew her so well. She came as discreet as possible so she can play a prank on him but it was a failed attempt.

“Mwo?” He said as he opened his eyes to gaze at her with a confused look.

Shin Hye chuckled as she seated beside him.

“I came here trying so hard not to make any sound to surprise you but you instantly acknowledged my presence. You didn’t even bother to check who the person is. That’s amazing!” She told him.

“Of course! You’re my bestfriend! I know you so well, Shin Hye-ya! You can’t play a prank on me!” He said as he laughed at the thought of Shin Hye’s failed attempt to play a joke on him.

But little to Shin Hye’s knowledge, he knew very well her scent. They’ve been best buds since middle school and he knew perfectly well her favorite perfume that she’s been using since time immemorial.

“Yeah right! Anyhow, I came here to ask you something.”

“I knew it. That’s nothing new. Who are you setting up with me this time?”

“Ha! You really know me so well, Yong Hwa-ya. That’s what I love about you!” She made a wide grin and quickly gave Yong Hwa a hug as an appreciation for accepting the favor. “You know Seo Hyun-unnie? She’s pretty. I wouldn’t doubt if you fall for her charm this time.” She continued while still hugging him.

“I love you more, Shin Hye!” He thought and made a toothy grin upon hearing her say that she loved him. He even felt better when she hugged him like that. “You never failed to make my day complete, Shin Hye.” He thought while still smiling like crazy. He liked it very much everytime she hugged him like that.

“I’m just doing this because you want me to, you know. I just can’t refuse you, dear.” Yong Hwa told Shin Hye jokingly.

“Yeah, I know.” She smiled as she uttered those words to him while still hugging him. She just loved how her bestfriend treat her so special. Then she continued, “But you know I’d be glad to know if you’ve already found your match after the many set up dates I arrange with you. Kekeke!” She said it with sincerity and at the same time to bestfriend.

Yong Hwa was a bit hurt upon hearing those words from her. But of course, he would not let it show to her. Instead, he also answered her back teasingly.

“Ya! Are you just pushing me away from you? Don’t you want me around anymore?”

She immediately released her grip from him to face him and gave him a cute pout that he cannot just resist and just melt him away.

“That’s not what I mean! Why? Will you not be friends with me anymore when you have your special someone already? I will be hurt if that happens.”

He flashed his toothy grin to let her know that he is just teasing her and an assurance that they’ll be bestfriends no matter what.

“I was just kidding. You know I’ll be hurt more to leave you behind. Anyway, when will this ‘fake’ date be?”

She was relieved when she saw that he just made his signature toothy grin and heard him say that he was just teasing him. But her smile was suddenly replaced by a frown to imply that she did not like his last statement.

“Ya! Don’t just say it’s a fake date! Tomorrow after class. Don’t ever think of ditching her, arasso? Be nice to her. Otherwise, it’ll be hard for you to get a real girlfriend if you keep that snob attitude of yours! Aissh!” Then she hit him lightly on his stomach.

Then, as if realizing something she continued talking to him, “Don’t you really have someone you find attractive that you want to court? I really couldn’t believe that a guy with that look is afraid of being dumped by a girl! But most girls want you anyway. I just can’t see the point!”

“Who told you I’m afraid of being dumped?? I just have not find yet the right girl for me yet. Don’t worry, when that time comes you’ll be the first to know.” Yong Hwa said in response to her chant. But deep in his thoughts, “Yes, I am afraid to get dumped by you. I wouldn’t know what I’ll do if that happens. Not until I’m ready for your answer, I’ll have to be contented being your bestfriend for the meantime.”

“Yeah right. Reasons. Reasons. And many more reasons. I’d be going for now. I have to go back to library. I almost forgot that I still needed to borrow a book. Let’s walk home together today?” She asked to which he only nodded.

“Alright! I’ll be back here then. Just wait for me. See you!”

“No. Just wait for me outside the library. I’ll just rest for a couple of minutes then I’ll meet you there.”

He returned to lie on the smooth grass of the campus hill and closed his eyes.

“Ok then. I’ll just wait for you there.”

She ran towards the library as she lets her friend have some time alone.

“Aigoo, Shin Hye-ya. How can I tell you my feelings for you? How can I tell you that you’re already enough for me. Aisshh!” He uttered in silence as he felt her getting farther and farther from him.

After a few minutes, he got up to his feet and headed towards the library to meet his bestfriend.