A Visit From The Past

Black Butterflies and Gray Roses

I'm so sorry I haven't updated in so long!! :( I had serious writer's block ! Again I'm sorry! 
------

Chaerin's POV 
----------------------------

The inside of his house was enormous, as expected. A chandelier hung itself in the middle of the whole 'kingdom'.  The crystals glimmered softly as the door opened and shut. Immediately I saw a grand staircase curving like a snake in the dome shaped living room. The staircase led to another level of the house mysteriously. A set of old fashion furniture was placed neatly in the middle of the room. Cabinets of antiques were lined up against the wall to my right. Pictures of ancestors and relatives hung gravely in the room. Their eyes seemed to stare at me coldly and unwelcoming. 
 
Jiyong led me up the staircase and into a dark hallway then into his room. Surprisingly, his room wasn't as big and fancy as I expected it to be. It looked like any other guy's room. Messy with clothes on the floor, his homework scattered everywhere, and food wrappers in the corner. I stifled a laugh when I saw a sock on his bedpost. His bed was next to the large window. The curtains blocked any sign of sunlight that existed. 

Jiyong ruffled through some things in a cabinet in the corner. I sat down on his bed which, despite the mess, smelled clean and new. 

"What are you looking for? " I asked, peering at him. 

"Oh, I'm looking for my first aid kit." He mumbled. The adrenaline wore down and I could feel my wounds aching and stinging. I coughed tasting some dry blood from my lip. Jiyong turned around and smiled at me with a white box. He sat next to me and started to tend to my injuries. I was still and silent as he dabbed the cut on my lip with a cotton ball dipped in medicine. It stung and I hissed in pain. Jiyong's eyes whispered an apology. I bit my lip as I endured more minor pains. 

"Your house is really quiet and ...lonely huh? " I tried to make conversation. Jiyong cracked a bitter grin. He let out a low chuckle. 

" My parents are always working overseas and going on business trips. I'm use to it." A solemn rock was weighing down his words and his eyes told a different story. He's not use to it, he's just lonely. 

"At least you have two people as parents. I only have my dad." I sighed as he bandaged my tended cheek after he left my lip. His eyes were so careful and meticulous. 

"What happened to your mom?" He stopped and listened. I let out a breath of burden. 

"She ran off with some other man after my father got into some bad business. As of right now, I'm not very fond of her." I spat nicely. Just talking about her made me bitter and angry. I gripped a fistful of Jiyong's sheets. Jiyong glanced at my fist and looked at me with understanding eyes. It scared me how he seemed to care but does he really? So many people think they care but it turns out they're just curious. Those old vengeful emotions surged up my heart and overwhelmed me.

"Look, I'm going to go now. My dad will be worried." I got up and left his room, leaving him confused. My footsteps made loud, thunderous thumps as I descended the stairs. 

"Wait! " Jiyong came after me. I yanked the door opened but almost bumped into the person standing in the doorway. A man with gray hair and a strict face. He had a suitcase and a lady beside him. The lady looked like the man except she had dark hair tied in a tight bun and a bag. They stood with prominent status. Their aura was strong and authoritive. I glanced at them and ran past them. I heard Jiyong holler my name but after that nothing. I ran all the way home, no matter how much my body hurt. 

I never should have talked about my mom. The past is way too powerful and unforgetful. Too painful to reminisce. Talking about my mom was like ripping a scab off an old wound. I could feel the blood dripping through my fingers. 

I slowed down to a jog as soon as I reached the lobby. People gawked at me for rushing into the elevator. In the elevator, I was gasping and panting. Silence filled my ears. I slid down the wall and sat there. My heart was being suffocated by the memory of my mother. You know, I never really slept after she left. It was either no sleep or light sleep. Without Mom in the house, I couldn't sleep. The feeling of something missing kept me up. From there, it kept me up for about three years. I have natural dark circles under my eyes now. I sometimes lay in bed and think about everything. A tear escaped my eye as I sat there, motionless. 

My floor was nearing so I got up and straighted my clothes up. I cleared my throat. The doors opened and headed to my destination. Room 314. 
I stuck my key into the doorknob and let myself in.

"Dad? " I called out. No answer. I guess he must be out. Hopefully, he's not starting trouble again. I dropped my bag onto the table near the door and went to my room. 

My new room was decorated the same way my old one was but this time it's more plain and clean. I fell onto my bed. 

"I had a way then, losing it on my own...I had a heart then but the queen has been overthrown...I'm not sleeping now, the dark is too hard to beat..." I sang as I stripped off my clothes and changed into my usual pajamas: White t shirt and gray shorts. 

I sat down at my dressing table and stared into the mirror. I stared at the blonde girl with scratches/bruises on her face and a busted lip. Her eyes were dark and gloomy. This girl was so different from the other girl. I glanced at the picture next to the mirror. It was a picture of my dad, my mom and I, smiling for the camera. I was in middle school, innocent. I didn't recognize the girl in the picture. It's hard to believe that the girl in the mirror was once like the girl in the picture. I looked up to my reflection again. I touched my bruises and injuries. These are battle scars. 

I rested my head on the table and sighed with fatigue. My eyes were getting heavy and droopy. However, I had to do one more thing before I go to sleep. I went to the front door and grabbed my gun from my bag and brought it with me to bed. Yes, I usually sleep with a gun just for protection. I slipped it under my pillow and turned off the lights.

And I 'slept' . 

----------------------