Chapter 9

My Missing Piece

After days of audition and discussions, it was time to make up their mind. Representatives from the various sponsors were busy pushing certain well-known celebrities. Managers were busy promoting their actors as well. Sanghee was glad that she was not the only one pushing those people away.

After making up their mind with the lead actress, the real problem was with the lead actor. No one seemed to fit the picture she had in mind.

"What about him," Director Lee pushed a file towards her. She stared at the picture and scanned through his profile.

"An idol? Are you kidding me?"

"Don't be so quick to judge. He fits the criteria we were talking about."

She narrowed her eyes at the pages he was flipping for her. It was strange how an image of this idol being the lead actor flashed past her mind. She closed her eyes and let the images continue. After what seemed like a really long time, she finally said, " Think you can get some of those dramas?"

He flashed her a quick smile before disappearing.

 

 

 

 

 

Without her even agreeing, a meeting was already arranged between that idol and his manager. Director Lee apparently had decided this without her prior consent.

"So now this is just something you can just decide on your own?"

He flashed her his dazzling smile again before replying, "You were going to say yes anyway."

Sanghee wanted to bite his head off. Though she hate to admit it, she was definitely ready to give this idol a try. She folded her arms and turned away from him, drinking the glass of water the waitress had brought over. As they approached, Sanghee and Director Lee stood up and introductions were made. That idol had a silly smile on his face as he shook Sanghee's hands, eyes filled with admiration.

Wasting no time she asked, "Have you read the plan?"

He nodded incessantly and his eyes lit up once he started babbling about his character. As he continued his speech, Sanghee had no doubt that he understood the character well. In fact, Sanghee had no doubt he could do his job well. He was just way too different from the characters he had portrayed in his previous dramas. That boy continued to babble on while they ate.

 

So, after a meal and some conversations later, it was officially confirmed that this boy was now part of the cast.

 

 

 

 

The thing about filming in Korea is that most of the time you are racing against time. Productions are filmed rather near their airing date so that plots can be changed to fit the demands of viewers since ratings are the most important thing. Sanghee did not like that. As a writer herself, she did not like being swayed. She had watched how other scriptwriters had fallen under the greed of ratings and eventually produced a messy and unsatisfactory drama. Sanghee clearly did not like that.

"How long more to the actual broadcast date?"

They were at a room that was allocated for them by the company. After spending two straight days working on the first episode, the amount of caffeine in her body was slowly losing its effects. She felt like she was both tired and energetic at the same time. She waited for an answer as her head laid on the table with her laptop glaring at her.

Still staring at the script, Director Lee said, "About a month from the start of filming."

If things went on smoothly, it is very much possible to film about two to three complete episodes but at the same time, things could go bad. Like unprofessional actors or sudden weather changes. "Just so we are clear, I will not change the script to suit the demands of the viewers." With that, he lifted his head to face her, "I'm not planning to. We'll go with what we discussed."

Surprised, she found herself frowning at him. He should be concerned about ratings since that could potentially make or break  him. She had her doubts with this inexperienced director but she herself had agreed to this and there was no backing out. "Good," she let out, voice breaking a little.

He broke into a smile before pushing the script in front of her and circling certain parts to her. "I need you to refine this bit. The atmosphere is too tense during this scene."

She stared at the bit that he pointed at and said, "What are you talking about. This is perfectly fine." For the first time, Sanghee heard him sigh before he put on a smile back on his face and continued to explain.

 "Are you doubting my capability?" The words came out much harsher than she had intended to.Director Lee stared at her with the same cheeky smile still on his face. She was clearly losing control of herself. She banged her fists hard on the table, stood up, pointed her finger at him and yelled, "I WILL TIE YOU TO A FREAKING POLE AND POUR MILK ALL OVER YOU AND  STUFF YOUR MOUTH WITH AND THROW YOU OUT OF A FREAKING WINDOW! I WILL KILL YOU!"

He silently gathered his stuff and left the room. Just before Sanghee was about to dig a hole and hide from embarrassment, her phone buzzed.

 

You did well. Now go get some sleep.

 

After a loud groan, she slammed her laptop shut and gradually lost consciousness. A short while later, he came back with a cushion and blanket for her  before leaving.