Chapter 10

My Missing Piece

After flipping through the pages, she placed the book in the basket and headed for other books.  Sanghee had told her to get some books that would help her with her writing. As she was about to head towards another shelf, she noticed a man browsing through the books that she went through just a minute ago.  He looked like he was still in his twenties and yet he was browsing through books about older men looking for young girls. She planned to escape from his sights but things never go as plan. Jiyeon had accidentally bumped into a mother who was dragging her child behind her. Flustered, she quickly apologised while the mother continued glaring at her while mumbling about how everything was Jiyeon's fault. She bowed slightly and waited for the mother and child to disappear out of sight before letting out a sigh.  She turned back towards the shelves, only to meet eyes with the man from before.  He gave her a smile, "They are always like that." Jiyeon gave a brief nod. She stared at the man in front of her and felt this strange sense of familiarity. "Have we met before?"

The man seemed deep in thoughts, hand rubbing his chin, "Was it the audition? You picked up my form for me."

A quick flashback played through her mind in which she had passed someone a piece of paper. Her memory of the person was long fuzzy. Yet, the sense of familiarity seemed to mean something more than that.

When Jiyeon noticed the book he held in his hand, things started to make a little more sense  now. "You got selected?"

A silly grin made its way on his face, "Yup, what about you?"

She gave a shrug, "I work for the scriptwriter." The man's eyes brightened  and he excitedly extended his hand out, "I'm Joon." Jiyeon took his hand and introduced herself. The two then turned their attention towards Jiyeon's basket with Joon trying to peek at the various books in it. "It's on the other shelf," she motioned before continuing, "there aren't many of such books."

Joon gave a nod, "I bet I looked like a creep, searching for such books." Without hesitating, Jiyeon gave a nod before leaving a flustered Joon to pick his books.

 

 

-

 

 

With the bag of books in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other, Jiyeon bumped into Director Lee as she was making her way towards the room Sanghee was in. He squinted at the cup in her hand and asked, "Coffee?" Jiyeon nodded. Swiftly, Director Lee took the bag away from Jiyeon and said, "She's gonna suffer from caffeine overdose soon." Jiyeon attempted to take the bag away from him but he again swiftly held it away from her with a smile on his face. "It's heavy." Just when Jiyeon was about to protest, he quickly cut her off, "We really have to do something about the coffee." Jiyeon instantly frowned. Taking coffee away from Sanghee was probably one of the worst ideas ever. "Tried it before. Things ended up really bad." Director Lee flashed another smile at her, "Still worth a try."

Director Lee gently opened the door to reveal the still-sleeping Sanghee. He placed the bag on the table and right then, Sanghee slowly sat up. Her hands immediately went for the cup in Jiyeon's hand and instantly had her hands smacked.

"No more coffee for you." Director Lee took the cup and gulped down the entire cup. Everything went ominously  quiet. Knowing what was going to happen next, Jiyeon hastily left the room and ran far away from the building.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

After having settled with the script production, Jiyeon got to editing the script for the second episode, checking the entire plot and making sure the lines are smooth. Once that was settled, she had to make sure that the scripts are distributed to the various staff. Stretching a little, she waited for Sanghee's call for the scheduled site-checking. Munching some chips as she browsed through the scripts, she found herself staring at the family photo sitting on Sanghee's desk. Blinking away tears, she quickly got up, took her belongings and left the apartment.

They arrived at the train station and gathered together with the rest of the staff members. From a distance, Jiyeon noticed someone running towards them, hair bobbing up and down and waving enthusiastically. She turned away, disturbed by how unsightly he looked. As he reached, he made sure to greet every staff member and when his eyes landed on Jiyeon, he had a wide grin and a playful glint in his eyes. He shyly waved and Jiyeon forced a smile before walking away after pointing at his messy hair.

Jiyeon followed Sanghee around as they discussed with the director and the staff on the various scenes. Joon trailed behind Jiyeon, listening attentively to the conversations. Just when things seemed to be going smoothly, Sanghee and Director Lee started having disagreements on how a particular scene should go. The other staff member quietly gestured for everyone to take a break. Jiyeon headed towards the nearest bench and fiddled with her phone while waiting. While playing a round of candy crush, she noticed a bottle of water in front of her. She looked up to see Joon smiling at her.

 "Water?" Jiyeon took the bottle and mumbled a thanks before going back to her round of candy crush. Joon took a seat next to her and leaned, trying to peek. "What level are you on?" Jiyeon switched off the screen before replying, "321." Joon shifted back, a little awkward. "Nice," he said while attempting to tidy his hair. Jiyeon gulped down water while staring at Sanghee and Director Lee at a distance. She made sure to look anywhere but him and hoped that he would get the hint to move but yet he was still fidgeting beside her and asking random questions.

"We won't get to meet once shooting starts huh?" Jiyeon gave a nod while staring blankly at the distance. After a period of silence, Jiyeon got curious and turned to face him only to realise that he was no longer there. She scanned the crowd and noticed that the other staff members were starting to gather. She grabbed her bag and hurriedly headed there, completely forgetting about him.

 

At that moment, she did not know that her answer had erased the playful glint in his eyes. She did not realise then that she would never want something like that to ever happen again.


So sorry for the long wait! I actually intended to finish the entire story before posting again since i already took that long but i couldn't resist. =X

I'll work faster this time!