Kismet: Chapter 2

Kismet

Work was giving me hell that day. I had a proposal to present at the end of the week and, on top of that, my superior was heaping on a lot of paperwork to be handed in to the manager. I also had a delivery to make on the weekend, but thankfully it was to Mrs. Lee's house, a familiar face. Definitely a visit that is not wasted on a weekend.

I slumped my body on the couch the second I got home. Exhaustion weighed heavy on my shoulders.

"Eonni, you want to go out for dinner? We're going dancing right after," Charlotte appeared out of her room, all dressed and ready to go.

"Are you sure you have room for me in your plans? You look like you're ready to go and here I am, looking worse than crap. And you know I don't like going to clubs. It's too crowded and sweaty," I spoke into the cushion. My words were not completely ignored as Charlotte said goodbye without even looking back. "Don't come home drunk again, you hear me?!" I shouted at the closed door.

I grumbled as I dragged my feet to the kitchen. I needed something sweet: pronto. Maybe some chocolates.

The doorbell rang. Great. Maybe if I don't answer, they'll go away.

It rang again. Grr.

Smiling was not on the menu when I opened the door, but the figure standing at the door was even more unwelcomed. It was him again, the angry stranger from last night. I had completely forgotten that he was going to send over a receipt.

He was different today. He wore an apologetic smile this time, along with a simple Letterman jacket underneath a plain white shirt and blue jeans. I gave him the once over and found he had ruggedly handsome good looks, but my face was armored with an automatic scowl from my day's end.

"Annyeonghaseyo. Erm, I was here last night. I wanted to apologize for my behaviour. It was inexcusable," he started speaking when he realized that I was not going to say a thing.

"Come on in," I found myself saying. Why am I letting this guy in? He's just going to get on your nerves, Jen.

"Make yourself comfortable, I was just about to make some hot chocolate. Do you want some?"

"Yes, please," he sat down by the kitchen counter. I hated how he made me feel at that moment. My heart was beating fast against my ribcage, and I felt a little overwhelmed. I hated that feeling. He was a stranger, and I felt this way towards a stranger? Blasphemous.

"I never knew your name. Mine's Jenny. What's yours?" I asked, mixing my favourite hot chocolate concoction.

"Yang Seungho," he looked at me weirdly.

"It's nice to meet you Yang Seungho-ssi. Here," I handed him a mug of hot chocolate. I sat down opposite him with an expectant look. "Do you have the receipt for the cleaning service?"

"Uhh, I do, but it's okay. You don't have to. It's the least I could do after I shouted in your face last night. Besides, it wasn't really that bad," he said with a sheepish smile. "I had a really bad day yesterday, and I took it out on you. But it seems that you had a bad day today yourself?"

Not for the life of me could I point out how or why I decided to talk, but words were pouring out of my mouth like water out of a broken pipe. He was listening intently, but when I finished, I felt very embarrassed.

It was comforting to see him smile at me. So comforting, I want to see it everyday. That thought was a shock to me, and I stood up immediately and walked to the sink to clean up. He followed suit, and I was about to turn to reach for rubber gloves when he bumped into me. Once again, like fate's cruel joke, we were in close proximity.

Once again, I could smell his cologne. He had that manly smell about him that made you go crazy. The brown of his eyes ablazed with... With what? Infatuation? Rapture? Lust? And his lips, oh God, his lips. Why are his lips so inviting? So... sumptuous?

My heart was pounding in my ears. Seungho tilted his head and moved his lips closer to mine. I held my breath. As our lips barely touched, the sound of the door opening brought us down to reality with a crash. Both of us jumped as far away from each other as we could, and saw Charlotte passing by the kitchen.

"Oh? We have a guest?" Charlotte wondered. Obviously she had no recollection of who brought her home last night. "I left something in my room, and will leave soon. Don't let me stop you from what you were doing," she giggled as she went back out.

"I'm sorry, Jenny, I have to go," his face red. The same could be said of mine.

That was the last I heard from him as he saw himself out the apartment. I could not breathe properly. Seungho knocked the wind out of my sails for the second time, and he left again without another word.

Just who does he think he is??