A Change of Environment

Don't Push Me Any Further

Taemin was 15 and Kibum was 19 when their mom decided that it's time for her 2 sons to live with her in America. The 2 boys knew it's going to happen eventually but this is sudden. Too sudden. The moment their immigrant visa arrived , their mom booked a plain ticket the next day. They weren't given a change to say goodbye to their relatives, to their friends. They didn't have enough time to pack their decent clothes in a suitcase. The next morning, the boys kept crying while waving their dad goodbye.

"We will call you, dad. As soon as we can"

"Tae, be good okay? listen to mom... you too kibum! Key, look after yourself and Taemin. Take good care. Everything's gonna be okay... I'll be okay." Their dad said holding back his own tears.

--

First week in America was a bit of a culture shock. Yes, it was beautiful but everything's different, everything's changed. The boys stuck even more together  because all they have is each other. Also, they are not confident with their english speaking abilities. But main reasons why was because they remind each other of home and because their closeness seem to be the only thing that remain unchanged.

While walking through the neighborhood one afternoon, their conversation kind of gave them a hint or a foreshadow that things will soon start to change

"Mom said she'll take me to the high school tomorrow and enroll... how about you hyung, are you going to college?"

Kibum took a while to respond but Taemin patiently waited.

"I don't think so. I'm gonna find a job at the mall tomorrow. I want to help Dad even just a little bit and maybe get an apartment of my own" Kibum sounded like he was resolved. Like he was thinking about it since they moved here.

"You're going to leave me? with mom?" Taemin felt sad that his brother leave him.

Kibum wrapped his arm around his brother, aware of his little brother's worries.

"No Taemin.. it's not gonna happen anytime soon.. so dont worry"

He was not comforted even the tiniest bit at all. His brother will still leave. No promises of them sticking together.

--

Kibum was already waiting for his brother at the school gate 5 minutes before the dismissal bell rang. Taemin was a little bit surprised to see his older brother. Usually, they would meet up half way down the long road to home because Kibum was always late.

"You're early. It's weird" Taemin commented

"I know right? I got out of the house 15 minutes earlier than I used to. I did not want you to walk home alone for 5 minutes." Kibum said smiling.

Taemin did not qualify for school bus service because they lived within 2 miles radius of the school. So Taemin had to walk to school and back everyday. Every afternoon though, Kibum , being the protective brother that he is insisted on walking Taemin every afternoon but he was always late so they would end up meeting halfway.

"This might be the last time I'll walk you home" kibum suddenly turned serious

"Why? what do you mean?" Taemin asked confused and panicked.

"The restaurant at the mall hired me right away today.. and they want me to start tomorrow so..." Kibum explained his voice , his voice trailed off at the end.

"Ah... okay. It's okay! congrats!" Taemin tried to be happy for his brother. It's his brothers first job, his brother's start of new life.

"Thanks. Just remember what I told you... don't ever ever use the back road again okay? even if it's shorter route. That neighborhood is shady. If something happens to you... if you die there no one will see you" Kibum joked but really though he was serious.

"What do you mean die... okay okay.. I wont... I'll use the main road."

A/N: I feel like i'm sharing my diary with you guys... but uhm, thanks for reading and pls comment too..

As you probably know from the story, English is not my first language so pls be nice.

If you have any questions, just ask.