Chapter 8

By Your Side

Setting: A few minutes before Chapter 7's ending.


The address that Leeteuk gave Taeyeon was a 15-minute drive away from Taeyeon’s house.

“This is the building,” the driver ahjussi of the taxi cab said as he stopped in front of a luxurious-looking building.

“This is the building?!” Kangin and Taeyeon repeated as they gaped on the huge luxurious-looking structure. The building was only at about 12-storeys high but the glass walls, revolving doors, expensive-looking pin lights & chandelier betrayed the height of the building.

The driver ahjussi laughed, “Neh.”

Kangin paid the fare and helped Taeyeon with her luggage from the trunk of the vehicle.

“Oomph~” Taeyeon grunted.

Kangin pinched her nose and smiled.

“What was that for, Kangin oppa?” Taeyeon asked as Kangin closed the trunk.

The taxi sped off leaving the lovers. “I will miss you, Taeyeon-ah,” Kangin said as he carried Taeyeon’s things towards the lobby.

The small girl followed with her body bag slung across her tiny body. She was just wearing simple jeans and a tank top.

“Good evening, Ma’am & Sir!” the receptionist greeted them as they approached the front table.

“What the—” Kangin murmured to himself, still surprised by the luxury of the building.

Taeyeon handed the receptionist a small piece of paper with what appeared to her as just a jumble of words and numbers. She pointed and asked, “Where can we find that? The taxi cab driver brought us here.” Taeyeon scratched her head innocently while Kangin looked around amazingly.

The receptionist answered while looking at the piece of paper, “Ma’am this is the pent house on the top floor.”

Upon hearing the receptionist’s answer, Kangin and Taeyeon’s jaws dropped.

“Pent house?” Kangin repeated, unsure if he heard it right.

“Top floor?” Taeyeon did the same.

The receptionist giggled at their expressions and confirmed, “Yes, Ma’am. Yes, Sir. Pent House. Top Floor.”

Taeyeon wanted to make sure so she asked a favor from the receptionist. “Can you contact the resident of the pent house on the top floor? I just want to make sure if it really is a Park Jungsoo that lives there,” she laughed nervously.

Kangin whispered to Taeyeon, “Is this some kind of a sick joke, Taeyeon-ah?”

Taeyeon just shrugged her shoulders saying, “I’m clueless.”

The receptionist interrupted the two saying, “Ma’am, Park Jungsoo is really the name of our pent house resident. He just purchased the property not long ago. You may know him as the son of the late CEO of PGC, Park Yongwoon.”

“Oh,” Taeyeon swallowed hard upon hearing the info. She looked at her Kangin oppa helplessly.

He told her, “Looks like we’ve got the right one, Taeyeon-ah.”

“Neh.” Taeyeon turned to the receptionist and bowed weakly, “Kamsahamnida.”

Kangin did the same before the two headed to the elevator with Taeyeon’s things.

Upon stepping out of the elevator, the two could only say, “WHOAH” at the beauty of the place—the luxury, the peace, the privacy.

Indeed, they were at the top floor. They walked the hallway to the only door on the other end of it. The walk was unforgettable what with the perfect city view that the glass wall provided.

“That must be it,” Taeyeon pointed at the white modern-looking door on the other end.

“Kaja,” Kangin picked up his girls’ things and took the lead.

Kangin raised his fist to knock on the blinding white door that he and Taeyeon stood in front of.

Knock knock.

The knob turned immediately and it revealed a Leeteuk in his sweatpants & plain white undershirt, leaning on the door frame.

Kangin cringed at the sight of the man but tried hard for Taeyeon not to notice it.

“I see you’re not alone, Kim Taeyeon-ssi!” Leeteuk said as he eyed Kangin.

“Ah, neh. He helped me with my things,” Taeyeon smiled nervously, scratching the back of her neck.

“And I had to make sure that my Taeyeon here would be welcomed and accepted well,” Kangin patted Taeyeon’s head with his free hand.

Just then, a beaming fine old lady came rushing towards their direction with wide arms.

“They’re here! Come in, come in!” the lady, Mrs. Park Hansoo, pecked Taeyeon on the cheek and ushered them to come inside.

Leeteuk reached to help with Taeyeon’s things but Kangin snapped at him. “I got it,” Kangin told him.

Taeyeon was already inside the modern-looking, white-walled, high-ceilinged, air-conditioned, carpeted, luxurious condominium while Mrs. Park went to prepare drinks in the kitchen. Taeyeon sat herself on the couch as Kangin brought her luggage inside, Leeteuk holding the door for him.

After a few moments of silence between the three, Mrs. Park reappeared with a tray of ice cold orange juice with her. “Help yourselves,” she gestured for them to have a drink.

The old woman sat beside her son across the lovers and spoke up, “How have you been, Kim Taeyeon dear? They told me you were there last time at the Hamsang River. I guess I did not see you. So how are you, dear? I did not have a chance to thank you properly yet.”

Kangin looked at Taeyeon with confusion which left the girl trembling at her seat.

Taeyeon breathed in deep before answering Mrs. Park, “Ah, neh, I was there in the Hamsang River. No worries, Mrs. Park. Have you been feeling well?” Explanations can wait later, she thought.

By this time, Leeteuk who was clearly uninterested, busied himself over a magazine from the center table.

Kangin was still looking at Taeyeon and Mrs. Park back and forth, clearly not following their conversation. Inside his head, he wanted to interrupt the two ladies and ask one question that kept bugging him ever since Mrs. Park welcomed Taeyeon warmer than usual.

“I’ve been feeling well, dear. Thank you,” Mrs. Park smiled. She turned to Kangin and asked, “Who is this fine young man here?”

Kangin cleared his throat before offering a handshake, “I’m Kangin, Ma’am. Taeyeon’s boyfriend. It’s a pleasure.”

Hansoo gratefully shook it before she elbowed Leeteuk. “Pay attention, son.”

Leeteuk did as he was told and closed the magazine with a slam.

Mrs. Park returned to her conversation with Kangin and nodded, “Neh, what a lucky guy you are.”

Kangin decided to start searching for the answers to his questions. “I see that you’ve met Taeyeon before, Ma’am.”

“Oh neh, neh. I owe her my life,” Hansoo smiled.

Leeteuk sat up straight, suddenly absorbed and amused by the growing tension.

Kangin looked at Taeyeon and whispered, “What does she mean?”

Leeteuk butted in, “Kim Taeyeon-ssi did not tell you, it seems.”

“Tell me what?” Kangin hissed at Leeteuk.

“Oh dear,” Mrs. Park touched her chest.

Taeyeon laid a hand on her boyfriend’s shoulder and finally admitted, “We met even before his men visited Appa’s funeral.” She swallowed hard and continued, “Mrs. Park fainted at the columbarium the same time I was there. We brought her to the hospital and that night I met Park Jungsoo-ssi, too.”

“The day that you missed my calls,” Kangin’s fists were now closed as he recalled the first time that Taeyeon did not answer his call. He also remembered that Taeyeon did not ever explain why.

The Park mother and son could only watch.

“Why didn’t you tell me that before?” Kangin asked, not caring about the presence of the Park relatives.

“I-I..” Taeyeon stuttered. She asked herself why, too.

“Sorry, Taeyeon dear,” Mrs. Park apologized, seeing the two in a conflict now.

“Someone’s not supportiiiiiive~” Leeteuk sang which made Taeyeon shoot him with a deadly glare.

Mrs. Park stood up and headed to one of the rooms, pulling her son with her and leaving the two.

“Why didn’t you tell me, I asked! You never missed my calls except that day! Since when do you not tell me things that happen to you?” Kangin was practically yelling. He stood up and headed out the door while Taeyeon did not bother to go after him. She did not know the answers herself and she can just hope for Kangin to calm down soon.

Taeyeon stayed there, staring at her lap when a little later, Leeteuk and his mother reappeared.

Mrs. Park reached out and laid a hand on Taeyeon’s. She murmured to her like she was her own daughter, “I’m so sorry, dear.”

Taeyeon forced out a smile and said, “I’ll talk to him. He’ll be fine.. I guess.”

Leeteuk changed the topic, “Well, let’s move on and I think you, Kim Taeyeon-ssi, should familiarize yourself with this house since you’ll be staying here for the next few months.”

Taeyeon sighed and looked around. “It’s clean. Spotless, if I may say. I guess I’m not needed here,” she laughed, as well as Mrs. Park.

Leeteuk grumbled, “This is your fault, eomma! Now my housekeeper is not willing!”

“Watch your words!” Mrs. Park scolded. “Kim Taeyeon-ssi deserves to be respected, too!”

Taeyeon smiled and stuck her tongue out at Leeteuk when Mrs. Park was looking away.

A few minutes after showing Taeyeon around and helping her familiarize with everything in the house, Mrs. Park excused herself. “It’s already 8:30PM. I’m already late for dinner at home,” she said as she grabbed her bag and prepared to leave.

“You don’t wanna eat here, Mrs. Park?” Taeyeon politely asked.

“Oh, no. Jungsoo’s noona is waiting for me. Bye, dear,” she walked to Taeyeon and pecked her in the cheek before giving a big warm hug to Leeteuk.

“Be good to Kim Taeyeon-ssi, arasseo?” she reminded her son.

“Aish, eomma! Bye!”

“Bye, Mrs. Park!”

“Bye, I’ll be leaving you two alone now,” Mrs. Park winked and completely left.

Something in what she last said sent chills down the spine of Leeteuk and Taeyeon who were still awkwardly standing in the living room.

Taeyeon swallowed hard and unconsciously played with her toes as she waited for Leeteuk to say something.

Meanwhile, Leeteuk scratched his arm as he, in return, waited for Taeyeon to break the silence that had surrounded them both.


Drumroll please! ;) Anyway, since we’re already in the 8th chapter but things has not really started yet between the TaeTeuk couple, I can just foresee this fanfic to go on for a very long time.. I mean, more chapters than typical full-length fanfics.. I just hope I can keep your enthusiasm and interest by writing effectively, neh? FIGHTING!

Please also support my new short HaeFany fic entitled "Destiny's Game." Click HERE to start reading! :)


COMMENT REPLIES

@shanaa12. oh yes.. here it issssss... >:D thanks for comment! oh and one more thing, Jessica, Tiffany and Sunny lives in America (as mentioned in Chapter 1).. Kekeke~ it was a minor detail, sorry ^^v

@lisandyyn. THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT, dear~ :)) your comments are soooo fun to read! :D leave more, neh?