Swings

Baby, don't cry

Kai’s POV

 

I wake up, my eyes slowly adjusting to my surroundings. Oh right. We’re in the hospital.

“Sehun, bro, wake up,” I nudge him softly. He makes a weird grunting noise but doesn’t move.

“BRO!” I shout and shove him forcefully. Gone is my gentle side.

He yelps and wakes up, glaring at me. “Was that really necessary?”

“Yes,” I reply cheekily. “It was.”

We look over at Baekhyun and see the girl sleeping in a bed beside him, clutching his hand tightly.

“Who is that girl? She’s still a mystery to us,” Sehun comments, observing her.

She’s quite pretty; with long black hair, long lashes, and full lips. However, she looks rather weak and beat up.

“Wow, Baekhyun…what a stud,” I say, trying to break the depressing mood.

Sehun giggles.

The girl suddenly moves in her sleep and wakes up, her brown eyes opening slowly. Then she finally notices us, staring at her.

“Oh…um. Hi,” she stammers.

“Hey. I’m Kai, and-“ I start.

“And I’m Sehun,” he finishes.

I send him a sideways glare. Respect your elders, dude. Let me finish my sentence.

I roll my eyes and turn towards her again. “So…how do you know Baekhyun?”

“It’s a long story,” she murmurs.

“Well, we have all the time in the world,” I reply, and smile.

 

She finishes telling us the story, and we’re astonished.

“You stabbed him?” Sehun cries, amazed. This is like a drama to him, and I can see it. His eyes are sparkling with interest. I punch him in the arm.

“Stick to your Boys Over Flowers,” I mutter quietly.

“Um…yeah I did,” She looks down and plays nervously with her fingers.

Well, this is obviously making her uncomfortable.

“Anyways,” I say. “So…did you see Baekhyun before you almost…uh…” I trail off uncomfortably. “You know, like…last words.” Wow, way to go, Kai.

“Yeah I did,” she says, and starts blushing madly.

“Oooh!” Sehun exclaims, studying her expression. “Did he…say anything suggestive? Like…he would want to do…things?” He waggled his eyebrows.

Not helping at all.

Her cheeks turn as red as a tomato.

“I knew it!” Sehun jumps up in celebration. “This is way better than any drama out there!”

“Shut up, Sehun.” I roll my eyes. “This isn’t the time for that. Aren’t you worried about Baekhyun? He could die, man.”

Sehun sits down with a frown. “I tried not to think about that, but honestly, I don’t think he’s going to die. Baek’s stronger than that.”

The girl looks at us with hope in her eyes.

“Oh…and we didn’t get your name,” I said curiously.

“It’s ______,” she replies, and we both make a mental note of it in our minds.

“But ______,” I begin. She looks at me expectantly and I feel bad for what I’m about to say next. “So the reason why our best friend is hurt, is because he was trying to protect you?”

She looks down at the ground. “Yeah.”

I breathe in deeply. I study her face, contemplating.

I then look at Baekhyun. Weak. And it’s so unlike him to be like this.

I suddenly have a flashback, to when we were still kids.

 

“Sehun! Sehun!” I cry. I’m on the swings, and I push myself off the ground. “Isn’t this fun?” I begin to swing forward, picking up my pace.

“Yeah, Kai!” He grins, and starts to swing with me.

“Be careful guys,” Baekhyun warns. He’s closeby, standing at the bottom of the red, plastic slide. My girlfriend, Min is going down the slide and Baekhyun wants to make sure she doesn’t get hurt.

“Don’t be such a worrywart,” I say with a dismissive hand, and I go higher and higher, enjoying the feel of the wind through my hair.

“Sehun, you’re losing!” I giggle. I’m a lot higher than him and I push my chest out in pride.

He sticks out his tongue out at me and laughs.

Suddenly, I feel myself losing control. My bottom slides from the plastic seat and I go flying towards the ground.

“KAI!” Sehun screams and Baekhyun immediately runs over.

“Sehun, take care of Min.” He nods and runs off towards the slide.

“Kai, I told you to be careful,” Baekhyun frowns. He throws one arm over his shoulder and grunts under my weight. However, he’s determined not to give up as he carries me all the way to the nurse’s office.

 

No. I absolutely cannot let my friend be hurt.

Their relationship is dangerous and in my eyes; forbidden.

This girl does not know how lucky she is to have Baekhyun. He’s incredibly loyal and protective, and kind-hearted. Even to strangers, like her.

As nice as this girl seems, she’s got a freaking gang chasing after her, and if Baekhyun is with her, he’ll get hurt too. And I wouldn’t want that. At all.

 

I take another deep breath and look into her eyes. “You have to leave him.”