Back to the Beginning?

Baby, don't cry

 Slowly, I open my eyes.

Where am I? My vision focuses and I see a very familiar room.

Oh right. The hospital.

Then the memories come flooding back. I remember escaping this room, meeting Baekhyun, the knife, Calla, and the man in black.

But why would I be here?

Was it all just a dream?

Have I never escaped or met Baekhyun. Did i not kill anyone? Calla wasn’t real, and the man  in black didn’t exist?

I don't know how to feel anymore. Should I be happy that everything was just a dream?

No one was real. No one was murdered. I keep repeating the words to reassure myself.

But…Baekhyun wasn’t real? Reality sinks it and I find myself tearing up; knowing that his gentle touch and his love never existed, but that my mind had conjured it all up.

“You’re awake?” A voice interrupts my thoughts.

A nurse walks in. She looks vaguely familiar, but I don’t remember seeing her for a very long time.

“I’m sorry to tell you this, but your boyfriend…he’s very, very weak. We’re giving him treatment but we have no idea how it’ll turn out. The bullet in his arm has been there for awhile…”

I start zone out. Wait…boyfriend? Baekhyun?

It wasn’t all just a dream?

“Baekhyun?” I blurt out.

She stares at me quizzically. “Yes, Baekhyun. He was brought here to the hospital at the same time as you.”

“Oh no…” I murmur as realization hits me. “Where is he? Is he well? Take me to him now!"

“No. You have to stay here.” She points at the tubes and needles connected to my body. “Trust me, these are real this time.”

“What? What do you mean real?” This throws me off for a second, and I temporarily forget about Baekhyun.

“Do you remember me?” She suddenly asks, and looks right into my eyes.

“You…you look familiar,” I reply slowly.

“You have to believe what I’m about to say. I was friends with your mom, Rose, before she was killed.” Glancing at my look of pure shock on my face, she quickly continues. “She was killed because of your father’s gambling and debt. Your mom knew they were targeted already, so she secretly brought you here one night, hoping to keep you safe. She left you, only a few months old, in my care. But not longer after, she was murdered. I took care of you for awhile before a new nurse came in, and suddenly took over my job. I tried to resist, but I couldn’t win.”

So many thoughts flood my mind, and it’s overwhelming. My mom loved me. Did my dad even love her at all? How was my mom like?  

“I truly believed the new nurse was helping you, keeping you safe. But one day I managed to sneak into your room and saw you weaker than ever.” Her face hardens. “I’m afraid she was giving you treatment,” At the word treatment, she made air quotes. “It was really hard to do anything because the nurse was always watching…somehow.”

At the last words I shudder involuntarily.

“I realized she was probably working for those loan sharks, which is probably why she packed up and left yesterday night.” The nurse looks relieved. “I heard the loan sharks have left town because of an incident.”

Incident. Incident. Incident. The word repeatedly echoes in my mind.

“I was surprised you escaped though, but you came back like this.” She gives me an onceover. “Don’t tell me you got captured by the loan sharks. They’re merciless and cruel.”

My heart pounds, recalling the events. “I did,” I say softly.

She sighs, and a look of anger fills her eyes. “They think taking Rose’s life was not enough.” She shakes her head. “You’re safe now.” She brushes the hair out of my eyes.

“Anyways, let’s go get you to that boy over there. Thankfully, this bed is portable.”

 

When we reach the room, I see him, fast asleep.

“Don’t worry,” she whispers. “He’s still alive. There’s hope. He’s just resting from the most recent operation.”

I notice two boys sitting side by side in two chairs. They lean on each other, fast asleep. I have no idea who they are, but I'm thankful for them being there when I wasn't.

The nurse quietly backs out and shuts the door.

I turn to Baekhyun, and it’s hard to control my emotions. Scars, bruises, blood. He’s so frail looking, and it hurts, it hurts more than anything I could've ever experienced before. Tears, they come so fast, but I barely notice.

I grip his hand tightly, tears falling down my face, dropping freely to the ground.

“Don’t leave me!" I cry. "You’re the only one I have left! Please, wake up, stupid Baekhyun! Wake up and make my tears go away!”