Trapped

Baby, don't cry

 The bright rays of sunshine burst through the half closed blinds as I wake to the sweet singing of birds. They cheerfully greet me to yet another day that I dread. Blissfully unaware of my pain.

Hands. A flurry of movement beside me and my weak body registers the mysterious fluid that enters.

I don't dare to ask what demonic monster possesses me. Why am I all alone? Before I know it, a salty drop of water flies down my cheek.

All I can do is lie quietly, wordlessly on this plain white bed, waiting for a gentle sign that this torture will end soon enough.

I keep my eyes closed, trying to imagine anywhere but here.

Fresh air. The vivid green grass tickling my feet. Riding the bus, bumping into other passengers and nodding an apology. I smile softly to myself, then open my eyes. It was just my imagination. For a second, I swore it was real.

“Good morning, _____” The nurse says, her voice tinted with over enthusiasm. She sounds slightly annoyed. “We have a wonderful surprise for you today!”

I remain silent. She walks over, her heels clicking loudly on the floor. Click, clack. Click, clack. The nurse opens the blinds. “Rise and shine!” She chirps.

My eyes remain on her as she walks over to the counter and prepares a needle. For me.

“You get to go to an exciting room today! Doesn’t that sound great?” She beams.

“What room?” I ask quietly. I pray she doesn’t hear the fear in my voice.

She hesitates for a second, then continues. “Its…it’s a surprise, alright? You’ll be going to a different place, honey.” She pats my head, and I hate the feel of her cold fingers on my head.

“Is it…another hospital?” This time, the hope is evident in my voice.
 

"No... not exactly, you get to go to somewhere no one has ever been before, somewhere your paren-" she says midway as her voice trails off.
She gives me a small kiss on the forehead and I finally understand. It’s been sixteen long harsh years, and its about time for it to all end.

Death, that's what I face. It can relieve me of all my pain, but I fear it.

I can almost hear its seductive purr in my ear, taunting me.

In my head, I hear whispers. Whispers of things I never did in my life, trapped in this small white room.

Without warning, the needle inserts into my arm. As much pain as it gives, it can't compare with the excruciating pain that has grown throughout the years in my body. But today, it all ends.