Cameras and Drums

Where's My Silver Lining ?

I slumped my way into the cafeteria. I literally look like the Hunchback of Notredame. Sungjong on the other hand , is prancing like little girl. How does he even have so much energy after a torturing hour of History followed by an hour of English with the most flat toned teacher in the world and then Art where we had to draw a vase that was placed on the table. ' What is there to imagine besides a stupid, plain vase sitting like a boss on the table !!? '  Apparently I was the only one that thought the vase was nothing but a piece of ceramic. Oh well. 

As I entered the cafeteria, I saw Sungjong already in line to buy his lunch. That boy is so impatient when it comes to food. I peered over to check out what's for lunch today. Macaroni and cheese. Okay, it to be Asian in a Western school. They expect you to like macaroni and cheese after eating it for a couple of years. I sighed , bought a ham sandwich and made my way over where my brother was sitting with his friends. Woohyun, Yeol and my brother were looking at their smartphones and laughing. Sunggyu was chatting with Dongwoo. Myungsoo was quietly gobbling down his food. Another food freak. Sometimes I wonder how did my brother ended up being friends with them. We are not rich like the rest of them and brother's into sports while the rest are more the indoors-activities kind of people. Yet, they somehow managed to have some common topic to joke around. Boys. 

" Ho-eun ah, I have a high jump competition at 2PM later. You coming ? " Howon asked as I set down my sandwich and juice.

" Of course. How can your #1 fan miss any of your competitions ? " I answered cheerily, munching on my sandwich.

I stood up after finishing my last sip of juice, waved to my brother and exited the cafeteria. Algebra class next. My head hurts.

 

By the time I arrived at the field, there were quite a number of people already seated at the grandstand , cheering. I squinted, trying to locate my brother among the sea of muscular, tanned sportsmen doing stretches in the little patch of grass by the side. My brother will be the one in purple from head-to-toe. I waved at him and gave him a thumbs up. As I turned around, I saw someone staring at me. Myungsoo. Why can't he just waved or stick out his hand like a normal person would ? I went over and sat next to him, not failing to notice the flock of girls sitting right behind him that were giving me death stares. They look scary. 

" You taking photos for the school magazine again huh ? " I asked while looking at Myungsoo trying to adjust his DSLR camera. 

" Yep. I'm also doing an article on Howon as the Sportsman of The Year " he answered, not looking up from his camera.

I beamed. My brother had been the Sportsman of The Year for the third year running. Flashes. Sounds of cameras clicking.

" Woah, why are you taking my pictures ?? " I asked while trying to shield my face from the camera. 

" I bet everyone wants to know who's the sister of the Sportsman of The Year , " he answered with a smirk. 

I grunted. I'm not exactly a very photogenic person. But I was sure he wasn't going to feature my face in his article. I'm gonna kill him if he does. I cheered when my brother appeared to compete in his category. He jumped beautifully and as expected, he won. The whole stadium erupted in cheers. I looked at my watch. 3:05PM. Oh , I'm late for my shift. I waved at my brother, trying to make up some signs that I'm late for my job, said my goodbyes to Myungsoo and ran off towards Coffee Machine. 

Fuhh. Almost 11PM. My back hurts from cleaning tables and serving customers that never seemed to end. Last table and then I can head home. I tossed the dirty rag, took off my apron, grabbed my bag, said goodbye to Mr. Lee and walked out of Coffee Machine. Something caught my eye. I turned around and saw Himchan walking into The Hideout with his bunch of friends. ' Oh they are playing now ? ' And before I realised , I was standing among the small crowd of people in front of a tiny stage in the underground bar. ' My brother is going to kill me if he finds out I'm even here ' I thought to myself. Youngjae greeted the crowd politely and thanked them for coming tonight. He said something about a song dedication to someone special. And they started to play.

I was mesmerized by what I'm seeing. Himchan looked like an angel while playing the drums. Oh god.