The Hideout

Where's My Silver Lining ?

♪ 개울가에 올챙이 한마

꼬물 꼬물 헤엄치다 

뒷다리가 쏘옥~ 앞다리가 쏘옥 ~ 

팔딱팔딱 개구리됐네 

꼬물꼬물 꼬물꼬물 꼬물꼬물 올챙이가 

뒷다리가 쏘옥~ 앞다리가 쏘옥~

팔딱팔딱 개구리됐네~ ♪♪

 

I absentmindedly reached out for my alarm clock that was placed somewhere on the side table. While half-peering at my frog-shaped clock, I ruffled my hair. 5AM. A brand new day. I looked over to the photo frame on my dresser. A handsome man with striking features and a beautiful young woman greets me with a warm smile.

' Good morning, Mom. Good morning, Dad '.

I the photo lovingly, feeling empty somehow. I barely knew them. I mean , how much can a 3 year old girl remember ? Pushing away all the thoughts of my parents, I headed for the bathroom. I need to get ready for my morning shift.

Dressed in my Melrose High green-and-white uniform , I tiptoed over to the room at the end of the hallway. I pushed open the purple door and stuck my head inside. Good. He's still sleeping. I smiled to myself and quietly shut the door.

After making some toast , I cracked some eggs in a bowl and started to beat them lightly. Slowly and carefully, I poured the egg into the pan. It made a ssssrrrhhhhhh..... sound. I froze for a second. No sounds of a door opening. I sighed a relief. I checked the time on my watch. 5.45AM. I better hurry. I quickly set up the breakfast table with the toast and the scrambled egg, pausing to doodle a smiley face on the egg with ketchup. I chuckled quietly to myself. Grabbing a piece of toast and gulping down some milk, I jogged towards the front door.

' Stupid ! Where's your bag ? '

I smacked my forehead and ran back to the kitchen. Tossing my haversack over my shoulders, I glanced at the grand piano at the corner of the room. With a sigh, I turned around and headed for the door. 

6:10AM. Oh , I'm late. I quicken my pace and bit my bottom lip as the giant coffee machine signboard greets me from the distance.

" Sorry I'm late ! " I panted. A cheerful face greeted me from the counter.

" No problem, Ho-eun. There's not much to do anyway. "

I smiled back and went into the staff changing room to put on my apron. I cleaned the tables, straighten out the chairs, washed a mountain of coffee mugs and stocked up the coffee beans. 7:50AM. Oh , I'm gonna be late for school ! I quickly threw my apron into my locker, grabbed my bag and headed out of Coffee Machine. 

" Ouch !!!! " 

I rubbed my slightly bruised shoulders. Oh my god , what now ? I'm already late ! I lifted up my chin to see who was the unlucky person that I bumped into while mentally trying to form some kind of apology. I came face-to-face with a guy that has ' WORRIED ' written all over his face.

" Umm... I'm really sorry. Are you hurt ? " He's trying to search for any signs of possible injury while trying to hold onto his huge bag. I wonder what's in there. 

" Yeah, I'm okay. Sorry for bumping into you. I wasn't looking where I was going. Sorry. " I think he's the guy from school. Him-something. I can't remember.

" Nah, it's okay. It was also my fault for not being more careful. " He looks relieved.

I looked over his shoulders and saw a few guys exiting The Hideout, an underground bar located next to Coffee Machine, each of them holding black bags in different shapes and sizes. I recognized two of them from my class. The pink neon sign of the bar was not flashing, indicating that the bar is now closed. Why are they coming out from there ? What are they doing in there ? Are they even allowed to enter the bar in the first place ?

" Himchan-ah, let's go. We're gonna be late for school, " shouts a tall guy from the entrance to The Hideout. 

Ah right. Himchan. He nodded towards me and left with his friends, their massive black bags in tow. Whatever, I got no time to be wondering about what they were doing in there. I'M SO LATE FOR SCHOOL. 

I made it just in time. Fuhhhh. 8:05AM. Hopefully Mr. Meyer's car broke down or something and he's going to be late for class.

" LEE HO-EUN ! " I stopped dead in my tracks. Closing my eyes, I turned around, expecting to find Mr. Meyer's angry round face pouting like a goldfish, throwing me questions about why I'm always late for class. Snickers. Wait, why is he snickering ?

" OPPPAAAAAAAAAAAA ! I almost died of a heart attack ! " I playfully hit my brother's tanned arm.

" Why are you always late to school ? I thought I've asked you to quit your job at the coffee shop ? " my brother asked while smirking.

As usual, I only smile without actually answering. I scanned around, seeing the 6 other guys surrounding my brother. Sunggyu, Dongwoo, Woohyun, Myungsoo, Seongyeol and my best friend , Sungjong. Don't ask me why is my best friend in my brother's group when he's not even the same age as them. As far as I can remember, they have been friends since they could talk. 

" I'm late for class. Gotta go ! " I waved and pulled Sungjong's arm, pushing through the double doors and making our way towards first period of History with Mr.Meyer. Oh boy, it's gonna be a long day.