Cupids for a Day (Abridged Version)

Roommates (dropped)

 

Get ready for one heck of a chapter. Remember to read my note at the end! I have a lot of explaining to do :))

 

 


 

 

It’s been quite a while since your last visit to Lotte World.

 

The memory of your very first trip was crystal clear to you: the way your eyes shimmered in delight as you stared at the towering Gyro Drop, the heavy pounding of your heart as the fissures of both excitement and anxiety raced up your spine, and the pure, raw fun you had experienced with five special boys. The second trip was just as amazing: EXO had taken you to the amusement park last year, and it was your first ever outing with all twelve of them. Baek Hyun and Chanyeol wouldn’t stop bouncing, Kris had tried to bite back the goofy, excited smiles that were tugging at his usual face, while Lay and D.O. had embarrassed themselves by performing some bizarre dance in front of all those strangers.

 

Despite it being in the same place, both trips were so different from one another—mainly because you spent them with different people. They had one commonality, however, and that was the churning but fluffy feeling that had your heart turning into mush.

 

It was one and the same—that surge of happiness you felt with both groups.

 

~

 

“You seem excited, Unnie,” Amber mused, looking at your twinkling eyes and your twitching fingers. She grinned—it was obvious that she had made the right choice of bringing you here.

 

You nodded unconsciously, paying more attention to the rides than to your friend.

 

A week after your Taekwondo lesson with the devils’ minions children, Amber had shown up at your door, saying she wanted to treat you to Lotte World as some sort of reward for doing her a favor. At her suggestion, you instantly forgave her for even thinking of asking you to teach kids, and dragged her to your car with an ecstatic “We’re riding the Gyro Drop, first!”

 

Amber laughed, amused to see you so spellbound. This was such a stark contrast to the typical cold stare and apathetic face she’s grown accustomed to. You were always composed, always calm, always so rationale. But not right now. Your whole body convulsed against your own volition, and you bit your lip, your thumb in an attempt to stop shaking and relax. That failed, however, as thoughts of you enjoying those high-intensity rides played in your head.

 

Your fellow tomboy chuckled again, exposing those dinosaur-sharp canines of hers. “Unnie, I know you want to get this party started, but we have to meet up with some people first, okay?”

 

You snapped out of your reverie and blinked in confusion. You didn’t know that there would be others joining the two of you. “What? There are more? ...Damn, all right. I guess I have no other choice,” you answered hesitantly, shrugging.

 

Amber gave you a grin you could only describe as devious, so you cocked an eyebrow at her and examined her from top-to-bottom. That grin said a thousand words about Amber Liu: she was playful and mischievous and all the things that could be detrimental to your sanity and physical health. You crossed your arms in apprehension and frowned. “I can read right through you, Amber,” you warned her, “What are you planning?”

 

Her cheeky smile did not falter, and she assured you that it was nothing to be so anxious about. “Unnie, relax! You know them, too, so don’t go all ice queen on them!”

 

Your mouth hung open. “Ice queen?”

 

“Well, more like ice king, but—“

 

You smacked her forehead, producing a yelp from the other. “Unnie!” she exclaimed, running a hand through her newly dyed hair. It sounded funny, really, because Amber’s voice was almost as low as yours and that odd, strangled, high-pitched noise that came from her was, to say the least, out of character and just plain priceless. You quickly forgot her teasing comment, and chuckled, instead, at her pouting face as she straightened out her frizzed locks.

 

“See, this is why you’re the Ice King, Unnie,” she began to prattle, “You’re handsome, but you shun the girls away. Whenever they confess to you, you tell them you're not interested. But then, you're not interested in men either, so that makes you a little more complicated than you already are. Plus, you don’t like to socialize and you don’t acknowledge Lu-ge’s—“

 

“Amber, you should really learn how to shut your trap,” you interrupted her, instantly reverting to your cold, disinterested face. “At the rate you’re going, we’ll be probably spend more time here than in there.”

 

Your talkative dongsaeng closed , but not before giving you an incredulous look. “All right, all right,” she grinned sheepishly, rubbing the nape of her neck, “Let’s go! I bet they’re excited to see you!”

 

Then there came a sickening, painful pounding at your stomach that told you something not good was about to happen.

 

~

 

Myung Soo’s jet black hair, for some unknown reason, stood out amidst the sea of people who also had the jet black hair standard to Koreans. It was also even more attention-grabbing than those that were dyed with crazy bright colors. Perhaps it was because of his idol-like hairstyle, or perhaps it was the darker, deeper color it possessed that made it so much more distinguishable from the rest. It was lackluster even when the sun’s rays hit it, and so pitch-black that you didn’t know whether or not it was natural. Myung Soo’s hair was an interest thing on its own—it was sort of like a wonder.  

 

And so, even from a distance, you could easily recognize the guy as he ran towards you and Amber, flailing his arm to seek your—or Amber's, rather—attention. Your eyes narrowed the second you realized it was him. Putting two and two together, you immediately knew why Amber had taken you here.

 

You were an excuse.

 

“Amber,” you glowered, “If you didn’t want Luna and the others prying, you could have just—“

 

“You’re finally here!” Myung Soo exclaimed, smiling boyishly at the two of you. Amber laughed in reply, and the two shared a very intricate handshake—the kind of silly, complex maneuver best friends would make in their free time.

 

 

 

You kind of understood why Amber was smitten with a boy like Myungsoo—no, with Myungsoo and Myungsoo alone: he and Amber were so much alike, they could pass off as siblings (although, that’s obviously not what they wanted to go for). They were both cheerful and had the charm that drew people to them; they were a bouncing bundle of mischief and tricks—two troublemakers who never failed to put their friends on their wits’ end. They liked working out at the gym, only to regain all the calories by visiting the fast-food place right across. They didn’t go on those lovey-dovey dates that Amber hated; they went, instead, to ramyeon bars or those randomly placed diners scattered in Seoul, serving grilled or fried street food.

 

“Eccentric couple” was their peg.

 

And that was all right, because Myungsoo was so accepting towards Amber’s personality and preferences. Lu Han had told you that Myungsoo had told him that he appreciated her simplicity, how she wasn’t picky, and how she didn’t demand for a fancy dinner or cuddling time like the other girls he dated. He liked how easy she was to please, yet hard to get; and how much self-consciousness she lacked, never really bothering to comb her wild hair or putting on cake make-up that would just undermine and hide her natural beauty.   

 

Amber was boyish. Amber was carefree.

 

Amber was different, and Myungsoo loved that.

 

You kind of understood them.

 

 

You seemed to be non-existent as the two knuckled-bumped each other, followed by an exchange of shy smiles. Myung Soo’s confidence shone through, however, as he composed himself and asked Amber what she wanted to do and how she wanted to spend the rest of the day. Amber’s face grew red when Myung Soo bent down to her eye level, his nose almost touching hers. Out of reflex, she dealt one mean blow to his chest, sending him crumbling to the ground. Even though they’ve been dating for a few months now, Amber just couldn’t get used to the intimacy Myung Soo would initiate.

 

That punch made you wonder who really wore the pants in their topsy-turvy relationship.

 

“Myung Soo! I’m sorry, dude, I just—“

 

“Hey, you two,” you cleared your throat, crossing your arms and giving both a sharp, piercing glare. “I’m still here. I’d appreciate it if you acknowledged the fact that I’m still here,” you monotonously said, not giving a about ruining their little moment.

 

 

 

Because then again, you just kind of understood. Those were mere observations you made, but never really did anything with, never really analyzed to better comprehend the whole couple thing.

 

You never really bothered to, because having a relationship with a guy was not for you. It was insubstantial and troublesome.

 

Not worth your time.

 

 

 

The two shot up and apologized, showing you lopsided grins.

 

“Unnie, if you think that I just used you as a reason to go here and avoid Krystal and Luna’s interrogations, don’t worry!” Amber assured you, “I have a great day planned for you as thanks for the favor you did!”

 

“It better be as awesome as you make it sound like, Amber,” you replied, expectations rising. She nodded enthusiastically, showing you how certain she was about it. You decided to give  her the benefit of the doubt, and smiled. “All right, cool. Let’s go then!”

 

She blocked you, however, telling you that there were three more people you were waiting for. You raised an eyebrow, “Well, where are they?” You were usually patient, but you were not going to let some latecomers hamper your happy day.

 

“They just went to get some drinks…And, there they are!” Myungsoo announced, pointing at something behind you. You followed his gaze and saw three people: a tall boy holding two small children at both sides. As they approached you, the familiar nest of tousled sandy blonde hair and tied up bangs came into view, the dulcet sound of his voice ringing in the air as he skipped with the kids. You also didn’t know how you missed the lime-green backpack slung over his shoulders, its bright green straps standing out against the dark blue fabric of his favorite v-neck shirt.

 

“…Lu Han?” you greeted your roommate, surprised to see him here.

 

He had said this morning that he would be out the whole day. And he was mighty thrilled, too—Lu Han couldn’t wait to get out of the dorm. You didn’t even need to wake up the little deer because by the time you woke up, Lu Han was already jumping and scurrying about. He did everything in a flash: grabbing the closest shirt and pair of pants and bathing in a matter of minutes. During breakfast, he took only two large bites of Kyungsoo’s pancakes (And those were Kyungsoo’s pancakes you were talking about—no one can just simply finish them off in two bites. One must first marvel at the beauty then slowly chew and relish the taste), then bolted up to brush his teeth. You weren’t even able to say goodbye to the kid because he just raced out the dorm building, flailing his arms in excitement.

 

You should’ve known you would see him here.

 

“Hey!” he exclaimed, equally surprised. “What are you doing here?” he replied, doe eyes mirroring the confusion in your face.

 

“Handsome Sah-bum-nim!” two high-pitched voices greeted you in unison. You looked down only to see the pair of fraternal twins in Amber’s class: Jung Min and Min Jung, waving at you, each holding a plastic cup of soda. They beamed at you, their braces shining under the morning sun, and their squish-able cheeks ruddy against the heat. Jung Min, the older twin, wore a denim cap that covered his mushroom bob, and a light blue shirt underneath a black jumper. To match her older brother, Min Jung donned a baby pink tee and the exact same jumper. Her full bangs were tied up, kind of like Lu Han’s, and she gleefully sipped on her beverage.

 

“Handsome Sah-bum-nim!” Jung Min chirped, tugging at your shirt. “You’re here! You’re here!” he sang. “Mr. Fairy must be really happy that you’re here!”

 

You blinked at the tiny boy, and then at Lu Han whose face was as flushed as the twins’.

 

“Um, that’s—“ your roommate stammered, but failed to hide the grin that did its job to show that he was definitely pleased with your sudden appearance. Lu Han sighed, deciding that it was best to just stop denying it when everyone knew that he was glad you were here. He gave you a chipper smile, “The more the merrier!”

 

You smirked in return; Lu Han in frantic deer mode was just too cute. You let out a chuckle, “Fancy meeting you here, Lu Han. And no wonder you were so giddy this morning.”

 

Lu Han laughed, his voice sounding so melodic against the cacophony caused by the park's noisy patrons. “Amusement parks, you know?”

 

You smiled in agreement, but that soon disappeared when you felt yet another tug at your shirt. Jung Min blinked up at you, his mouth agape in wonder, and gave a second tug, signaling for you to carry him.

 

"Because Handsome Sah-bum-nim is strong, and I want to see the whole park!" he said.

 

Min Jun did the same to Lu Han, and your roommate happily complied. He hoisted her up and put her on his shoulders, supporting her by her wrists. The child squealed in delight as she saw all the dazzling colors that made up Lotte World. "There are so many rides, Mr. Fairy!" she exclaimed. After a few more seconds, Lu Han carefully bent down and settled her on the ground, pinching her cheeks.

 

"Their cheeks look so much like Baozi's!" he exclaimed, showing an excitement similar to that of the children's.

 

"Handsome Sah-bum-nim!" Jung Min called you again, tugging harder at your shirt. His eyes grew larger as they stared up at you, begging you to carry him. So, obviously, he thought that trick would do, but you kept your resolve and shook your head. You gently pried Jung Min off of you and directed him to Amber. “Kiddo, you know I don’t like being touched,” you warned him, talking slowly and carefully so as not to give the poor boy the impression that you were hating on him (which, deep inside, you know you were). Jung Min simply nodded, slumping his shoulders as he took small steps towards Amber.

 

"So, why don't you let Amber-noona carry you, hmm?" you turned to her, shooting an icy stare. "She's just as strong as this Handsome Sah-bum-nim, plus, she was the one who invited you here, no?"

 

In a matter of seconds, the kid was smiling broadly at his Taekwondo instructor, holding his arms out. "Amber-noona! Can you?" he said.

 

Amber cringed at your words, your aloof voice sending shivers down her spine.

 

I think I angered Unnie.

 

She grinned, nonetheless, and propped Jung Min up on her shoulders. "Is it pretty up there, kiddo?"

 

Jung Min laughed, enjoying the view. "Yes, it sure is, Noona!"

 

You sighed, relieved that the kid was not at all bitter about you refusing his request. Still, you did feel quite guilty for having your hatred for children overcome your more humanitarian side. You just couldn't help it. You could endure harsh criticism, strong hurricanes, a dozen fights, but not kids. Anything but kids. To you, they were the devil's incarnation, brought upon this world to wreak havoc into your life. It's hard to believe that they were once cute cherubs who could only reach out and give you tiny, wet kisses. All that changed when they learned how to talk.

 

You nearly lost your balance when you felt an elbow nudge you at the side of your stomach. You turned to Lu Han whose smiled seemed too bright for your liking. "You shouldn't be mean to kids, you know," Lu Han scolded you, wagging a finger.

 

You crossed your arms and looked at a random cotton candy vendor. "Yes, well, Lu, some of us weren't blessed with skills like yours." You just couldn't understand how he could tolerate children, let alone play with and act nicely to them.   

 

He blinked, absorbing your words. When the realization hit him, Lu Han's ears perked up, and a tinge of pink dusted his alabaster cheeks as he smiled at you. "Are you saying that...I'll make a good father?"

 

You stared incredulously at him, chuckled, and then deadpanned. "You're funny when you try, Lu Han."

 

"But I wasn't," he pouted, lightly scratching his cheek.

 

“Handsome Sah-bum-nim!" Jung Min ran to you, clasping his hands together in a pleading manner. "You'll still play with us today, right?"

 

Soon, Min Jung joined her twin, "You'll spend the day with us, right?"

 

You lips twitched, uncertain of what to do. Of course, you really had no choice but to say "yes," because besides facing two pairs of well-executed puppy-dog eyes, you started to feel other people's eyes on you as well. You looked at your roommate who merely grinned and nodded; then to Amber and Myung Soo who both smiled and flashed you a thumbs-up. Strangers who saw the sight shot you questioning glances, and you could hear them whisper some not-so-pleasant things to one another.

 

You your lips in an attempt to get rid of the nervousness you were suddenly feeling. Something about the way Min Jung's and Jung Min's eyes bulged out seemed to move you, guilt trip you with silence. You were no pushover, and you didn't fall for aegyo. Not even Tao's famous bbuing or Taemin's irresistable beautiful eyes could bring you down. You were invincible, heartless towards the techniques they used to get what they wanted from their spineless Hyungs (Kris and Minho, in particular).

 

But this.

 

How could anyone say "no" to a pair of twins who were merely asking for an older sister's companionship and guidance?

 

(Your conscience made it sound so tragic. These weren't a bunch of street children you were dealing with).

 

Finally, you sighed, rolling your eyes as you surrendered to them. “Yes, yes, I will. But don't expect too much from me, all right, children? I didn't know you would be here." You scratched your head, out of annoyance and out of uncertainty seeing as you didn't have any experience in babysitting or being with kids for that matter.

 

(You could just go on and on and talk about your hatred for kids--that would be easier).

 

 

"Hoorah!" the twins rejoiced, hooking arms with one another and frolicking around. You took this time to shoot another glare at Amber for not informing you about these surprise guests. She laughed uneasily, sticking her tongue out.

 

 

"By the way," you interrupted them, "Where are your parents?"

 

 

"They have a business trip!" Min Jung answered with a smile so wide you felt your own cheeks hurt. Strange, how could she say that with such glee? "Umma and Appa always have a business trip on the second Saturday of each month, so Amber-unnie babysits us!"

 

"...You don't get lonely?" you asked.

 

Jung Min shook his head. "Nope! Umma and Appa are only gone once a month. They always make up for it by treating us to ice cream and cake! Besides, Amber-noona is a lot of fun! She takes us to parks, and teaches us how to play a lot of sports!"

 

You nodded, impressed with the twins' cheerful disposition despite their parents' recurring absence.

 

You turned to Amber. "So this is where you get your stash from, Amber," you told her. No wonder she was never short on cash: she had an extra source of income. But you knew your friend; she wasn't in it for the money. When she had briefed you on the kids in her class, she talked fondly of each and told you of their little quirks and traits. She knew them like the back of her hand, and you knew then that she loved her class from the bottom of her heart. Amber was such a good teacher which was why you were so hesitant about pushing through with the favor. You knew that the children deserved no less; the children did not need to have a grumpy, passive instructor like you. They needed Amber.     

 

"Well, I do my best to make ends meet," she boasted. "But you know, Unnie, you could also try—"

 

"No."

 

"...Okay," she said, dejectedly.

 

Should've have known she would say that.

 

Myung Soo cleared his throat, and took this chance to cautiously wrap an arm around her shoulder. Amber glared at him, feeling a foreign, unwanted weight on her. Myung Soo retaliated with a charming smile he especially formulated just for the sake of getting under her skin and persuading her to do things she wasn't used to. The latter averted her gaze away from him, let out a scornful "tsk" and gave in to the male's skinship initiative. Myung Soo grinned at his triumph, and then turned to you and Lu Han.

 

You groaned.

 

(Thank you, Myung Soo, for finally noticing the pair of responsible adults who were covering the children's eyes and preventing their poor, innocent souls from being corrupted by your public display of affection.)

 

He chortled. "Noona, Hyung, you guys are overreacting."

 

"We are not," you spat, stepping closer to Jung Min. That earned you another laugh from Myung Soo.

 

Min Jung held Lu Han's fingers, tapping on them. "What's happening, Mr. Fairy?" she asked, and tried to remove your roommate's protective hands.

 

"Handsome Sah-bum-nim?" Jung Min asked you.

 

Amber tittered, and stepped away from her straightforward boyfriend (you actually didn't know if that's what you should call him). She flicked his forehead and scolded him for being so needy and touchy. Then, she bent down to the kids' eye level, and signaled for you and Lu Han to retract your hands. She poked their cheeks and tapped their noses. "Nothing! Myung Soo was just being a weirdo," she laughed.

 

"Hey—!”

 

"Anyway, what do you want to do first?"

 

The twins looked at each other, and grinned, knowing what the other was thinking of. This must be what they called the "Twin Connection." By some sort of miracle, they both clutched their stomachs, their movements in perfect sync with one another.  

 

"Eat!"

 

"Mr. Fairy could only buy us some drinks because that's what the store sold. Let's have lunch, Amber-noona!"

 

Amber nodded and held out her hands for the twins to take. They grabbed onto her, and the three merrily took off to the nearest diner, leaving you, Myung Soo, and Lu Han to stand in the middle of nowhere and watch as the trio skipped and maneuvered through the crowd. You snickered at Myung Soo who gaped at the scene before him. "Looks like your girlfriend just forgot about you, dude," you taunted him. The look on his face was just hilarious.

 

Myung Soo let out a strange, primitive, disgruntled noise. That must've have been a harsh strike to his ego. He took a deep breath, trying to calm himself down. After a while, he looked at you, a boyish smile on his face as if to say that he was accepting your challenge. "I'll get her back, just you wait and see, Noona!" he said, and sprinted to follow the three.

 

Lu Han started to walk as well, realizing that it was already noon and that he was extremely hungry after wolfing down D.O.'s pancakes in an almost impossible record time. You, however, remained on your spot, contemplating. When he noticed that you weren't moving, he looked back at you. "Aren't you usually the one who's excited for food?"

 

You furrowed your eyebrows in thought. "Well, I am hungry. But...you know I like going on those high-intensity, vomit-inducing rides! I can't have myself barfing out the entire content of my stomach after just one ride!"

 

Lu Han giggled, and you wanted to wipe that pretty smile off his face. "Then don't eat a lot," he answered.

 

As if things were that simple.

 

You scoffed. "You make it sound so easy. If I follow you into whatever restaurant they're going to, I'll be tempted! Amber also promised to treat me to my meals for the day, so I...I might end up ordering just about everything, man!"

 

Aside from your ridiculous phobias, you had one more weakness: food. Food was your haven, your refuge, your source of comfort for rough times, and your strength. Food made you happy like no other person could, and you liked it the most when you shared it with friends. Food was like money to you: valuable, indispensable, the gears that made the world function properly. It was the awe-inspiring blessing that kept everyone sane and healthy.

 

Food was life.

 

And so, when you had to choose between food and something you treasured just as much, it was difficult.

 

Your roommate could only laugh at you and your frustration. You didn't know how cute this side of you was (all right, maybe it was only cute to Lu Han). He approached you, and gave your head two light knocks.

 

"Hey! Who said you could--"

 

"You make it sound like you're facing a life or death situation," he joked, a twinkle in his beautiful, beady eyes.

 

"When food is involved, it is a life or death situation!" you defended, placing both of your hands on your chest to emphasize your point.

 

"Well then, I won't let you stand there and wait for you to starve to death. You need to eat, even just a little. And don't worry, I'll be sure to stop you when I see that you're eating too much," he assured you.

 

"Fine," you mumbled. "I concede defeat."

 

With that, you and Lu Han marched off to meet Amber, Myung Soo and the twins.

 

~

 

Amber looked around, scanning her surroundings for any sign of you and Lu Han. When she didn't see the two of you in the restaurant (What was taking them so long?), she signaled for Myung Soo and the twins to come closer and huddle together. "Okay," she whispered, "Do you still remember the plan?"

 

The children nodded enthusiastically, imitating the Cheshire grin on their babysitter's face.

 

Myung Soo, on the other hand, sniggered, poking Amber's cheek. "Am, there are a hundred people here making so much more noise than we are, and Hyung and Noona aren't even here yet, so what's with this unnecessary whispering?" Myung Soo leaned back against his chair and smirked at her, wriggling his eyebrows.

 

Amber laughed, giving his shoulder a playful albeit painful slap. "Come on, Myung Soo! Don't you feel like we're in some sort of spy movie? The situation calls for this 'unnecessary whispering' you talk of!" She smiled at the kids, high-fiving their tiny hands.

 

"And what movie would this be?" Myung Soo smirked, "Mission Impossible?"

 

Amber glared at him. "I'm never going on a date with you ever again," she grumbled.

 

It was Myung Soo’s turn to laugh, as he gave her back a hearty pat. "I'm joking, Am. It's just..." He sighed, rubbing the back of his neck as he thought of the words. He looked at the twins. "You know, Jung Min, Min Jung...Hyung and Noona have been roommates their entire college life, and...I don't expect the two of you to understand but...They're so blindly into each other."

 

Amber smacked him, noticing the clueless looks on the children's faces. She smiled sheepishly at them, "What Myung Soo is saying is that..."

 

"They like each other!" Jung Min chirped, a little too loud for Amber's taste, too.

 

Min Jung clasped her brother's mouth. "Oppa! Not too loud!" she shushed him, getting into the whole "undercover operative" business.

 

Jung Min removed his sister's hand, mumbling a hurried "sorry" before looking at Amber again. "Noona, I kind of get it--what Hyung is saying." He tapped his chin, staring up at the ceiling as he recalled last week's lesson. "When Mr. Fairy visited us during Handsome Sah-bum-nim's session, he said something! He said umm...Something about him and Handsome Sah-bum-nim..."

 

"Looking great together!" Min Jung finished, her voice raising. She gasped, realizing that she had said it too loudly. "Oops, sorry." she mumbled.

 

Amber laughed at two, happy to see that they were being so cooperative, unlike her boyfriend (?). "Lu-ge said that, huh?" she mused. "And what do you two think about it?"

 

The twins grinned and leaned forward. "Everyone actually thought that they were boyfriend-girlfriend!" Jung Min said. "Until this morning, when you told us they weren't, Noona."

 

Min Jung nodded. "Which is why we have to succeed, Unnie! Mr. Fairy and Handsome Sah-bum-nim make such a great couple!" She clasped her hands together and sighed dreamily.

 

Amber and Myung Soo turned to each other, a little bit startled, a little bit impressed, but definitely, a whole lot pleased. It was weird to hear something like that from a pair of seven year-olds, but if a bunch of children could also see the chemistry, then why couldn't the two of you (or, in this case, just you) ?

 

Myung Soo chuckled. "Even kids want them to be together."

 

~

 

You arrived at the table to see suspicious-looking smiles plastered on the four's faces. You cocked an eyebrow, especially at Amber who looked chipper.

 

Too chipper.

 

Your roommate, however, did not notice a thing as he scooted over to the twins' side, and peeked at the menu Jung Min was holding with his short, stubby fingers. Lu Han, being the kid-loving boy that he was, smiled and propped an elbow on the table to support the older twin. "What would you like to get, Jung?" he cooed. He scanned the colorful menu and then started pointing at the photos, "This looks good! And so does this!"

 

You frowned, suddenly feeling sour about the fact that you couldn't and shouldn't eat so much. You soon forgot about Amber's and Myung Soo's devious grins, and you squinted your eyes to show Lu Han that infamous, cold stare of yours. No one could withstand the iciness of your glare--no one. Even Kris would cower at the sight, that diva-Key turn submissive to you, and have Kai and Tao whimpering at your feet.

 

"Lu," you murmured, your voice turning deadly. He stopped talking at the sound of your baritone, his blood running cold in fright. "You said that you'd control my appetite, but here you are, gloating to me how much I can't eat." 

 

"Why can't Handsome Sah-bum-nim eat a lot?" Min Jung asked, clueless.

 

Lu Han took a long breath, and gathered all his strength to flash her a gentle smile. "Because, your Handsome Sah-bum-nim has a thing for extreme rides, but she's afraid that she won't be able to ride them if she eats too much," he explained, being careful so as not to disgust the poor kids.

 

"Vomit, kids. I might vomit," you bluntly said, taking a seat next to Amber.

 

"Ohhhh," they drawled.

 

"But eating is fun, Sah-bum-nim!" Jung Min insisted. "And this dish right here," he tilted the menu so you could see it, "I think you'll like this dish!"

 

You didn't even have to look to know.

 

Damn it, kid, I like everything.

 

You cringed, forcing yourself to avert your gaze from the tempting dishes on the menu. You clenched your jaws and curled your toes; it took every bit of fiber in your body to simply look away from the photos of culinary delights.

 

"Come on, Unnie, I know you want to~" Amber teased. "And besides, it would be cheaper if we got the group special!" she pointed, shoving her menu onto your face so you had no choice but to look and ogle at the gigantic photo that spanned an entire page. You also took note of the price which, as Amber has mentioned, was indeed good for her wallet, and your wallet, if you had been in her shoes.

 

Cheap and tasty.

 

Cheap and tasty.

 

You bit your lip, thinking that pain would help you resist the rather alluring offer. You faced Lu Han, telling him to stop you. Your roommate merely chuckled and shrugged. "Well, the twins want that as well, so..."

 

"Lu Han," you threatened.

 

He merely laughed. "Don't worry, I really will stop you if you eat too much. Trust me, will you?"

 

~

 

An hour later, you were punching Lu Han's arm as the five of you approached Kiddie Land. Your roommate didn't even try to control your appetite, and you ended up eating way more than you should have. Lu Han was too busy playing with the twins to even pay attention to your consumption. The couple, on the other hand, was having a small lovers' quarrel when Amber refused to be fed by Myung Soo.

 

That left you without any supervision, and restraints.

 

It was too late by the time you realized you were so full, your stomach ready to explode because of the assortment of food packed inside. When the waiter had taken out the plates, you banged your head on the table, groaning out of fullness, out of frustration. "Damn it, damn it, damn it," you cursed, holding your belly. "I'm so damn full," you grumbled. You sat up and glared at Lu Han. "Damn it, Lu, I trusted you."

 

Lu Han stuck his tongue out, shrugging playfully. "Sorry," he said, but his smile said otherwise as it gave off a cheeky feel.

 

"Unnie, since we obviously can't ride any extreme attractions on a full stomach, how about we go to Kiddie Land first? We're in Adventure Land and all...so we might as well explore it before we go to Magic Land" she suggested. "Besides, I'm pretty sure Jung Min and Min Jung would want to visit that area."

 

The twins grinned in return.

 

You, however, didn't like the proposal. For one thing, Amber's sly smile was there; for another, you hated kids; and lastly, that same rumbling feeling you had before you entered the complex returned to your stomach.

 

Or was that just the food?

 

You groaned again. "Okay, I guess that's the best course of action to take."

 

You felt like vomiting when you saw the amount of children running around in Kiddie Land. "Lu," you groaned weakly, "Don't make me go in there," you pleaded. Your knees wobbled, and you just knew that you would faint at anytime. The place was a double whammy to you: kids as far as the eye could see with no room for you to breathe in.

 

"Be strong, Handsome Sah-bum-nim!" Min Jung cheered, pumping a fist in the air.

 

You attempted a smile, but it turned out crooked and lopsided. "I..." You pounded on your chest, and stood up straight. "I am. I'm not your Sah-bum-nim for nothing!" you said, trying to convince yourself that going into an area full of the things you hated was not so bad—you just had to keep thinking that in an hour’s worth of time, you’d be riding the Gyro Drop in Magic Land.

 

And you’d be far and away from this place.

 

"Yeah, be strong, Noona!" Myung Soo beamed, mocking you.  

 

You pursed your lips, but before you could retaliate, Amber grabbed his arm and pulled him to another direction. “Myung! I need to go to the washroom, go with me!” she said.

 

“Why didn’t you go to the washroom a while ago, Amber?” you asked, wary of her sudden show of affection for the boy. Amber would never initiate skinship.

 

Amber chuckled nervously, beads of sweat running down her forehead. You knew what that meant, but decided to let her answer either way. “Because, Unnie, I didn’t need to a while ago,” was her unconvincing reply.

 

You narrowed your eyes. “Amber.”

 

“I…”

 

“Come on, Am, let’s go!” Myung Soo interrupted, holding her hand and darting off with her. Before you could give chase, however, Jung Min had already grabbed your shirt and, with a strength peculiar for a little boy, tugged you towards the attraction he and Min Jung wanted to see. Min Jung did the same to Lu Han, diverting his attention from Amber and Myung Soo’s fishy behavior, to Kidstoria.

 

“Appa!” she squealed, pointing at the bright signage.

 

Lu Han blinked. “…Appa?”

 

“Kidstoria! Oppa and I want to go to Kidstoria!” she exclaimed. With that, she dragged him to the said attraction.

 

“Umma, let’s hurry up!” Jung Min cried out and pulled you to catch up to the two.

 

“…Umma?” you mumbled, gawking at the kid.

 

~

 

Something strange was going on.

 

One, Amber and Myung Soo had been gone for an hour already and only God knows where they were or what they were doing. You and Lu Han tried contacting them, but to no avail. Their phones would ring, but no one would answer.

 

Two, Jung Min and Min Jung kept on calling you and Lu Han “Umma” and “Appa” respectively. And they said it in loud voices as well, as if they wanted the other families in the area to know that the four of you were a happy family of your own. Furthemore, they constantly bumped into you and Lu Han, causing the two of you to accidentally brush hands with each other one too many times. With the twins incessantly doing that, you and Lu Han had no choice but to walk close together, with Jung Min to your right and Min Jung to his left. It put you and your roommate at a not-so pleasant situation. That, and your hand was burning from so much contact with Lu Han’s.

 

You couldn’t chastise them, however, because you knew that would just attract unwanted attention. Honestly, you didn’t care what others thought about your hostility toward children, but the feeling of so many eyes on you was disturbing and just downright awkward.

 

So you had to stop yourself from screaming at the twins.

 

Lu Han, on the other hand, did nothing to scold them, but he seemed pretty embarrassed about it, too. His porcelain skin reddened each time the twins called the two of you, and he would sneak a glance at you, thinking that you wouldn’t catch him. But whenever you did, he would look away and scratch his cheek, telling you that the two of you should just play along.

 

“That’s what you did last week,” he said, referring to how you told the kids you’d be enjoying your “date” with Lu Han when you had substituted for Amber.

 

“But this is different, Lu,” you deadpanned.

 

“I know, it’s just…”

 

“It’s just?”

 

 It’s nice. This feels nice.

 

Lu Han shook his head, switching to another topic. “Whatever. Let’s just reprimand the lovebirds when they show up. I swear to God, Myung Soo is going overboard.”

 

“Troublemakers, those two.” you mumbled, gritting your teeth.

 

“Ice cream! Let’s go get ice cream, Umma, Appa!” Jung Min suggested when he saw the colorful ice cream stall a meters away from the bench you were all sitting on. The stall looked new and reminiscent of those romantic cafes common in manhwas and mangas: there were a few fancy tables and chairs—the white kind with curly metal and pretty embellishment—set at the side for the customers, and pale pink parasols that stood upright to provide shade.

 

It definitely looked out of place in the sea of childish antics and kiddie treasures, its red and pink color scheme too romantic for anyone’s taste.

 

What the hell was this ice cream stall doing in Kiddie Land?

 

You approached the small concessionaire, noticing that the vendor behind the counter dressed up nicely to suit the pink and white stripes of the tent. She wore a dainty salmon ribbon on her hair, and a white bowtie against a pink dress shirt. When she saw the four of you walking toward her quaint store, she beamed.

 

“Hello, and welcome to The Pink Creamery! What can I do for you?” she greeted, leaning forward to look at the twins. 

 

“I want a strawberry ice cream sundae, and Oppa wants a caramel ice cream sundae!” Min Jung replied, grinning back at the vendor.

 

“And Umma and Appa want this couple parfait!” Jung Min added, pointing at the sample in front.

 

What?

 

“Wait, kid,” you waved your hand at them, but they already sprinted to a random table at the side. You turned to the vendor who looked as shocked as you were.

 

She blinked owlishly at you, her round eyes growing the size of Kyungsoo’s. “The two of you are…parents?” she asked.

 

“Hell, n—“

 

“What a lovely couple!” she squealed, placing both of her hands on her cheeks. “And your children are cute, too! What I would do to have a family like yours,” she said, closing her eyes to imagine her fairy tale-esque future. “But, umm,” she opened her eyes and turned to Lu Han, “No offense, but…Aren’t you too young to be a mother?”

 

Lu Han blinked. Was he supposed to find this insulting to his manliness or entertaining because he saw the fuming look on your face? He decided to go with the latter, and chuckled.

 

You, on the other hand, thought otherwise. Your eyes twitched.

 

You were usually calm, you were usually rationale. You thought things through before talking; you were cautious, apprehensive. You kept your cool whereas everyone else was scurrying about in a frantic frenzy. You were the mature Noona, the admirable leader EXO and SHINee looked up to, the one who took care of everyone despite your fear of attachment and physical contact. You were dependable, responsible, and you were respected because of it. 

 

You were patient, and you were awesome at it.

 

But that did it.

 

This woman did it.

 

“Damn it, lady!” you shouted, banging a fist on the counter. It was a good thing that this place was pretty much isolated from the rest of the attractions, and only a few people were there to witness your outrage. She jumped at your sudden action, whimpering at the way your piercing eyes glared at her. “You’re friendly and all, and really, I wish for nothing more than for you to get your prince charming and fairytale ending, but damn it, woman! Damn it, I’m the ing girl! I know my roommate’s gorgeous, but isn’t it still pretty obvious that he’s the guy between us? He’s taller than me, has shorter hair than I do—what with his new haircut—but…Damn it, woman! Now, don’t think I’m venting out all my anger on you just because you thought that I was the guy. I’m not, really, I’m not! It’s just that…I hate kids, and I have done nothing but be dragged by a pair of twins who keep on calling me ‘Umma.’ Do you know how horrible that is for me? I hate kids, but here I am, in Kiddie Land, where I could be in Magic Land and riding the Gyro Drop instead. Do you know how that feels, woman, when you’ve been promised an exciting day, and all you get is—“

 

Just then, two figures jumped out of the bushes nearby and grabbed your arms, pulling you toward them. The sudden contact had your arms ablaze, that unpleasant sensation you get whenever someone touches you without warning, so you threw your arms outwards, successfully making them let go of you and hurling them at the ground. You whipped around to see the two people you and Lu Han have been wanting to murder: Myung Soo and Amber.

 

The two clutched their heads, massaging their temples as they tried to stand up. “Hey, are you both all right?” your roommate asked, holding out his hands for them. He pulled the two up, but crossed his arms when they finally recovered from your violent attack. “And where have you two been?” he questioned.

 

Min Jung and Jung Min came running from the table they reserved for the four of you, asking what was going on. The vendor, meanwhile, simply stared at all of you, too scared to even react to your ranting. You glared at the passer-bys who stopped to watch the scene unfold. They met your eyes, and in an instant, picked up their pace to escape your wrath. Then you switched to the couple who had been missing for the past hour and thirty minutes.

 

“Lu Han asked you a question. Answer it,” you ordered them.

 

Myung Soo gulped. “The wash—“

 

“I’m an expert at reading body language, Myung Soo. I know when someone’s lying, when someone’s acting, when someone is being deceiving,” you told him, impatiently tapping your fingers against your forearm. “But let me take a wild guess, hmm? You and Amber have been following us the entire time.” You should have known. You should have really known. There would be times that you would see either of the twins looking back and shooting a thumbs-up at someone, but when you would turn around, no one was there.

 

You should have known.

 

Amber tittered, her voice turning breathy and high-pitched. “There’s…there’s no use in denying it, Unnie,” she sputtered, rubbing the nape of her neck as she refused to meet your eagle eyes.

 

“I bet it was also your idea to have Jung Min and Min Jung call us ‘Appa’ and ‘Umma,’ huh?” Lu Han inquired. Although the question sounded like it was something he wasn’t too delighted about, Lu Han looked pretty happy, a tiny smile tugging on his pale pink lips. It was like he relished in the idea, and that he was thankful for it. You raised an eyebrow at this.

 

“Hyung…”

 

“Myung Soo, I know what you’re trying to do. But please, stop it. Stop whatever you and Amber are planning this instant. Trust me when I say this: it’s not going to end well. It’s only going to ruin everyone’s day,” your roommate scolded, placing a hand on his dongsaeng’s shoulder. Lu Han smiled meekly at him, stepping closer to Myung Soo to whisper something in the other’s ear.

 

“I want to do this on my own, Myung.

 

You furrowed your eyebrows, wondering just what the hell Lu Han said, but you remembered Amber. So you turned to her, “Amber, Lu Han’s right. My gut feeling has been telling me that something bad was going to happen. And my suspicions were confirmed the minute you and Myung Soo decided to take an hour-and-thirty-minutes-long bathroom break. You make the wrong decision of continuing whatever stunt you’re trying to pull, and I guarantee you that it’s not going to end well Amber,” you reiterated, cracking your knuckles.

 

“Don’t forget that I’m a dan higher than you, Ms. Liu,” you warned.

 

Amber flinched at your threat, eyes immediately settling on your fist and legs. She had seen those limbs in action at the studio for so many times. She had seen the way they mercilessly kicked the opponent, how they flexed upwards, forming a beautiful but deadly straight line, to deal a painful blow to the head. And she’s heard of tales about you and your fights. Kris had told her about the time you rough housed with some guys who called Lu Han ‘gay,’ and how you cruelly beat up a bunch of erts who tried to your roommate.

 

She would rather suffer through hell than exchange blows with those legs.

 

Now that I think about it, most of Unnie’s fights involved Lu-ge one way or another.

 

Amber smiled inwardly.

 

Maybe there’s still hope. And man,

 

Her eyes traveled to the long scar on your arm.

 

What she would do to protect Lu-ge, huh. Lu-ge’s a pretty awesome fighter himself, but she wants to be the one to do it. For him. Oh my god, there really is hope. I swear, they should just marry—“

 

“Amber!” your stern voice brought her back to reality. “Did you hear what I just said?”

 

“I—oh…What?” she blinked, clueless. You sighed in exasperation.  

 

“Amber—“

 

But the loud, horrible tune of “Like a G6” rang before you could even reprimand the girl. Amber picked up her phone, sighing in relief. “Hello? Oh, Mrs. Lee!” she greeted, instantly brightening when she recognized the voice. “What? You’re here already? Oh, all right. I see. Sure, no problem! Actually, Mrs. Lee, I’m really glad you called right now. Well, okay. See you then!” She closed her phone, and grinned triumphantly at you.

 

“Sorry, Unnie, but looks like you have to punish me some other day. And I guess this is beneficial for you and Gege as well. Now, I’ll show you how the Great Amber Liu will make her most amazing escape yet!”

 

She waved at the twins, signaling for them to go to her. “Min Jung, Jung Min, guess what? Your mom and dad are home early from their trip, and they want to take you two out right now!” She wrapped her arms around their shoulders, “Which means Myung and I have to bring you two home this instant!”

 

The twins beamed at her, clapping their hands in ecstasy. “Umma and Appa are here! Yay! Ice cream! Ice cream! They’ll treat us to ice cream!” they rejoiced as they pranced around.

 

Amber gathered Jung Min in her arms, while Myung Soo carried a very excited Min Jung. “Well, Unnie, Gege,” cue Amber’s cheeky grin, “See you later!” she bid you farewell.

 

“Good luck, Hyung!” Myung Soo said, wriggling his eyebrows. He then faced you, smirking. “And don’t give him too much of a hard time, all right, Noona?”

 

After one last triumphant grin, the two their heels and ran off to Myung Soo’s car, the children’s laughter echoing in the distance. Soon, you could no longer see the couple as Amber and Myung Soo disappeared and became incorporated with the park patrons.

 

They left you, just like that.

 

“What the hell…”

 

“…Was that?” you finished for Lu Han as the both of you continued to stare at the spot the two were previously on.

 

All of a sudden, Lu Han burst out in laughter, a more than pleasant melody to your ears. With his mouth wide open and his eyes gleaming in joy, Lu Han resembled a very peachy—probably even drunk—deer. “Those two troublemakers,” he said, shaking head, “They were this close to getting beaten up by you, but they still managed to escape. Should I be amused or scared for them, because I know what you’re going to do to them the minute you step inside the campus?”

 

Your roommate’s seemingly glowing smile soon dissolved your anger, and you caught his happy virus as you laughed with him. “I’ll go easy on them, I swear!” you said, holding up a hand in oath. “But, man, those two. They’re perfect for each other.”

 

After a minute of nothing but pure laughter, the two of you finally stopped, panting and catching your breath. Your stomach grew hurt from vibrating so much, and so did your cheeks. But you felt good—surprisingly glad that things turned out the way they did.

 

“So, what now?” Lu Han asked, realizing that it was only 3:00.

 

“Well, I guess…”

 

“...Um, excuse me,” the petite vendor squeaked, reaching out a shaky hand to the two of you, “W-will you still be getting the couple parfait?”

 

~

 

In the end, you ordered two couple parfaits. The very violent rant and the events of the day had you and Lu Han starving, and the scrumptious-looking dessert, you figured, was the best remedy. You didn’t even care about the price; you convinced yourself that it was totally worth it—what with your hunger and stress.  The layers of ice cream—in pink, red, and white—were beautifully topped with a cherry, a variety of citrus and orange-colored tropical fruits, a chocolate stick on both sides, and finally, dusted with a mixture of Caster and powdered sugar. It was the ultimate guilty pleasure, comfort-giving dessert anyone could ask for.

 

So the thing was big, but neither you nor Lu Han cared as you both took the first bite of the heavenly dessert. Your eyes squinted in delight, and you both held up an “OK” sign. “This is very good, miss!” Lu Han commented, smiling at the vendor. The girl blushed at his compliment, and replied with a soft-spoken “Thanks.”

 

She went out of the concessionaire, and approached your table. “…I…I’m really sorry about what happened earlier, miss,” she apologized, bowing.

 

You blinked at her, and removed the spoon out of your mouth. “You shouldn’t be apologizing, miss,” you told her. “In fact, I should be the one to do that. I’m always being mistaken for a guy, so I actually am used to it. I was just really…” you pursed your lips as you thought of the right word to describe your situation early in the day, “Frustrated. I hate kids, but I somehow ended up having to babysit them. That, and my friend failed to fulfill her promise. I’m sorry for scaring the out of you, miss,” you said, giving her the most charming smile you could muster.

 

(You needed practice, you realized, because your cheeks really hurt when you did it. You obviously didn’t smile enough to pull that one off)

 

The girl blushed again, fiddling with her fingers as she took in your smile. It was clear to your roommate that she had been mesmerized by your boyish charms. He frowned, and pointed his spoon at you. “Of course you’re always mistaken for a guy. You keep smiling like that and you’ll give Kris and the rest of EXO a run for our money.”

 

You didn’t notice his other hand clamping his chest tightly.

 

That was just to hide the fact that my heart was beating crazy fast.

 

Your smile disappeared in an instant and you returned to your dessert. “If you guys have enough money. All of you are such careless, lavish spenders. Kyungsoo and Suho are probably the only ones benefitting from my lectures.”

 

“Hey, that’s not true!” he protested, “It’s only Duizhang and Tao who are lavish spenders. Did you see the amount of BB cream Kris bought the other day? You would’ve thought that he was buying them for his non-existent, make-up obsessed girlfriend!” Lu Han laughed. “And Tao! Just yesterday, he walked in with a new Gucci bag.”

 

You slapped your forehead. “Another Gucci bag? Princess Peach has got to stop liking Gucci and turn to something cheaper. Brand-conscious people will go broke immediately,” you said, making a mental note to chide him when you return tonight.

 

“…Are you sure the two of you aren’t a couple?” the girl spoke up. Seeing the two of you act so chummy with each other just proved that there was something going between the two of you. She refused to believe that you and Lu Han weren’t lovers.

 

“Miss, we’re roommates at university,” you answered curtly, wondering why she even brought the topic up.

 

“But you’re a girl, and he’s a boy,” she exclaimed, shocked to hear such a revelation.

 

Lu Han grinned at her. “Long story,” he said, taking one last bite of the gigantic parfait. You took your last bite as well, and stood up with him.

 

“Well, thank you for the dessert, miss,” Lu Han said, shooting her a childish smile. “That hit the spot! I am totally worry-free now!” he cheered, stretching out his arms.

 

You smirked at your roommate. “You really are funny when you try, Lu,” you snickered, “Because you won’t be saying that when we go to Magic Land.”

 

That wonderful dessert did no such miracle for Lu Han as his porcelain skin paled to an impossible shade of white.

 

~

 

You skipped the attractions in Adventure Land, and instead, hurried to Magic Land where the more extreme rides awaited. Lu Han kept on his puppy dog pout the entire time, begging for you to slow down. “But, you ate so much parfait! You’re going to end up barfing!” he screeched. But you knew Lu Han: he was just trying to stall; he didn’t like those rides you liked, he was afraid of heights and he hated the pulling feeling in the stomach whenever he traveled from a high to a lower place. He didn’t like it one bit; and even without having anything in his stomach, he would always end up vomiting.

 

Always.

 

Lu Han shivered at the thought of looking like an idiot in front of you.

 

Again.

 

“Don’t worry about that, man! The parfait was light; there’s no way I’m going to puke!”

 

Light? You just ate six layers of ice cream and a whole cup’s worth of fruits, plus a lot of sugar.

 

“But I…But I…You know I hate those rides!” he wailed, halting his steps.

 

You stopped, too, and turned to look at him. Your gaze softened at the sight of the frightened deer in front of you. He stared at the ground, his grip around the lime straps tightening to show his already conspicuous anxiety. A gentle smile tugged on your lips. “I know,” you said as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. “That’s why,” you took a step toward him, “Just let me ride Gyro Drop. Just that, and I’ll ride anything you want after. I’ll even skip out on the roller coasters—you especially hate those. And besides, it’s no fun to ride them when you’re next to a stranger...Except for Gyro Drop, because I just really, really want to ride Gyro Drop.”

 

He looked up at you, a glimmer of hope in his doe eyes. “Really?”

 

You nodded. “Yeah.”

 

A smile crept up his face and he stepped closer to you. “Thanks,” he said as he gazed down at you.

 

Because we’re riding Lord Nelson’s Armada first.

 

You could feel the heat of his body, the warmth of his breath, and that burning sensation once again. And because you were only a few centimeters shorter than he was, Lu Han didn’t need to bend to have his hair tickling your face. His golden strands, however, did not block your view of his doe eyes—their chocolate irises tender and elegant. Their vibrant color, you concluded, did well to match and contrast his alabaster skin.

 

Your eyes widened as the sudden realization of him being so close hit you, and you pushed him away. “Lu, that was too close, man!” you told him off, wiping your hands and neck with a handkerchief.

 

It was like fire, that pain you felt. And you wanted it gone.

 

Lu Han also recoiled, hands immediately going to his hot cheeks. He fanned himself.

 

Hot. Too hot.

 

“That really was too close,” he mumbled.

 

Why couldn’t we stay like that?

 

“See, now you know how a claustrophobic, aphephobic person like me feels,” you pointed, wagging a finger.

 

He smiled. “I…”

 

It was pleasant.

 

If that’s how you feel each time someone comes in contact with you, then I’d like to be like you.

 

…Except for the aphephobic part.

 

I’d give anything to touch you.

 

“…How do you live like that?” he asked you as he continued to fan his pink cheeks. He hoped his hands did well to cover the unhealthy color.

 

You grinned in return and gestured for him to start walking.

 

“That, Lu, is a secret.”

 

~

 

After the couple had dropped off the twins, they returned to Myung Soo’s dorm where the rest of EXO lounged and played video games or cards (Suho’s doing). D.O. was cooking (something delicious, obviously, because that's the only thing the master chef could produce) when they arrived, and so the EXO boys invited Amber to stay for a while and eat. The latter did not think twice in accepting, seeing as the events of the day left her hungry and tired.

 

Everyone in EXO, with the exception of Lu Han, knew about the little date that Amber and Myung Soo had set for the two of you. When Amber had announced it last week, they merely laughed at her, telling her that they’ve tried it as well (for too many times, too), and miserably failed (all of their attempts). But Amber was determined to make it work, and made a secret bet with Kris. If she won, she’d get fifty-thousand won from EXO’s Duizhang, and if he won, then Amber would have to let Myung Soo kiss her.

 

(Amber gaped at that, because although she and Myung Soo have been “dating” for a while now, they have yet to kiss on the lips.

 

Kris simply smirked at her, “I’m doing Myung Soo a favor,” he said.)

 

She was hoping Kris forgot about that little bet, but that assumption was cruelly trashed the minute she saw his egotistical smirk.

 

And so she had no choice but to narrate the story.

 

Kris smirked at Amber. “That’s what happened, huh?” he taunted, crossing his arms and looking arrogantly at the pair. “I told you it wouldn’t work.”

 

"Damn it, Kris," she cried, smacking him with a throw pillow.

 

“That’s ‘Gege’ to you, Amber,” he said, catching it with ease. Normally, Amber was packed with strength, but he guessed that she was just too exhausted.

 

Amber shook her head, dismissing his comment. “My plan was so perfectly made! Myung Soo and I took the entire weekend last week to meticulously build a foolproof plan! And the twins did so well, too! They acted so brilliantly, and it was just a bonus that they also wanted them to be together!” Amber groaned, dropping on the couch. “I just…UGH, Myung Soo, damn it!” she pounded on the soft foam.

 

Myung Soo smiled, the tomboy’s hair. “Am, you know I support you, but honestly, your plan was kind of…”

 

“Stupid?” Kris chimed.

 

Myung Soo chuckled. “No, it was cute, Amber. It was cute, and it could have worked if it were any other couple. But this is Noona and Hyung we’re talking about. You have to give them time.”

 

“But how long? How much longer?!” Amber cried, squeezing her cheeks in frustration.

 

“Yeah! How much longer?!” even Se Hun joined in.

 

Suho sighed, setting down his cards to show a winning hand.

 

(“Damn it! Suho-hyung won again!” Kai and Chanyeol whined.)

 

“A lot, Amber, Se Hun. Their pace is slow, but it’s getting there. We might not see them together until graduation, or maybe even a few years from now, but believe me, they’re going to end up together, all right?” he assured her.

 

“It’s impossible that they don’t end up together,” Se Hun chirped, positivity dripping from every word. “I’ve also been working my off to encourage Lu Han-hyung, you know!”

 

Kris smiled—a far cry from his usual face and furrowed eyebrows. “We all are.”

 

Amber smiled. “Damn it, when they do get together, I’ll make sure to hire a manhwa artist to recreate and publish their love story. It might become a hit!”

 

Duizhang smirked, seeing Amber happy and well. What joy it would bring to crush all of that. “Great, now that you’re back to your old self, give Myung Soo a kiss.”

 

Myung Soo looked at her in wonder, but smirked nonetheless. Myung Soo his lips. “What kiss?”

 

All that Taekwondo did well to strengthen Amber Liu’s legs because she ran as fast as a cheetah out the dorm.

 

“We need as much time as they do, Myung!” she exclaimed. 

 

 


 

 

Author's Note:

 

Hello, everyone! It's been such a long time, isn't it? So, haha, I'll just repost my previous note, plus an explanation of this very long chapter.

 

First and foremost, I would like to apologize for wasting your time and making you read this boring author's note.

 

Second, I must say sorry for not having updated in such a long time. I'm currently on break, and yes, while I should be writing, my friends' debuts have been keeping me very busy. I'm part of both of their cotillions, so you can only imagine how many times a week I'm off to practice. I don't even know why they chose me (lol, because I'm awesome :)) ) because I hate wearing dresses. Anyway, I just love them so much so I ended up agreeing to it. >A< I am such a good friend, haha.

 

Anyway, I would just like to say something. While I was skimming through the previous chapters, I realized that there was a discrepancy. In Chapter 8, Lu Han mentioned that he and his roommate didn't keep secrets from one another. Obviously, I wrote that during the time I didn't realize that the fic would become so darn long. :)) At that time, I had planned on making Roommates short and sweet, and without the introduction of SHINee. Obviously, that didn't happen, and now we're on Chapter 90+ :))) Anyway, my mistake there. I feel so stupid for letting it happen, but I probably won't correct it anymore. Too lazy. LOL :)) But besides that, it will serve as a reminder that the current state of this fic is a far-cry from what it was originally planned to be. 

 

Well, I hope you continue to read this fic despite all the stupidities and discrepancies I've accidentally made.

 

 

And now, for my say on this chapter. 

 

I know it was a boring chapter. My original plan was for the five to stay longer in Lotte World, and really, sabotage and manipulate every ride the couple was in. Obviously, that would have taken a longer time, and I think it's quite cliche if that were to happen, so I decided to, at some point, remove MyungBer and the twins, and let Lu Han and his roommate direct their own path. 

 

Man, that sounded deep :)) 

 

Also, I'm sure you are all disappointed at the lack of fluff or anything romantic in this chapter, either between LuMate or MyungBer, but oh lord, I cannot write romance to save my life. Not only that, I guess it's supposed to reflect what kind of couples these ships are: they really are in no way ordinary. Also, if you've noticed, this chapter focused more on characterization on not only the individual characters, but their relationships with each other as well. The dialogue between Lu Han and the protagonist, just before the restaurant scene, is supposed to concretize how much faith they have in each other--but in a more subtle way. And then there are Amber and Myung Soo, who are but mere innocent lovebirds trying to figure out what stage in the dating cycle they're in. 

 

It's a bit complicated, but it's something like that.

 

Now, for the title. Why is it the "Abridged Version" even at 10 000+  words? 

 

The truth is, the next chapter will be of "deleted scenes" in this adventure. I haven't actually written them yet, but they were part of the original plan. I just didn't include them here because for one thing, it's already too long, and for another, the transitions would end up being horrible. The deleted scenes would really just be episodes of individual rides, and would focus on what actually went on with LuMate after MyungBer and the twins left, just before the final scene with Kris and the others. 

 

As for Taemin's story? I'll finish it, don't worry. Just let me have my fun with LuMate in Lotte World. :))

 

 

Thank you so much for taking the time to read, subscribe and comment!

 

I hope to hear from all of you!

 

P.S. Do you know hard it was to write this chapter? :)) I've never been to Lotte World, so imagine how much I had to research :)) Notice how my descriptions were very general? I had to be on the safe side, so I used words that would describe a typical theme park. I also wanted to do a ferris wheel scene, but there's no ferris wheel in Lotte World, so that made me sad :))