Media Intervention

Roommates (dropped)

“Come on, guys, it’s on in a few minutes!” you called them, adjusting your position on the couch. You comfortably leaned back as you waited for the others.

 

Because it was a holiday and a long weekend at that, most of the college students living in the dorm had gone off to their own homes to spend some time with their families, while some went on outing with their friends. Only you and the twelve EXO boys stayed in the dorm that night. And honestly, you didn’t mind because it was usually like this—the thirteen of you ‘babysitting’ the dorm. Unless it was a long vacation or break, not one of you left; even the dorm manager conceded, and joked that maybe he should retire and give you his job. You actually gave his words a second thought; it wasn't a bad alternative in case you never graduated from college.

 

It was just after dinner, and you, Tao, Se Hun and D.O. were all seated on the large couch, watching some shows; Kris, Suho, Lay and Baek Hyun were in the kitchen, washing the dishes because it was their turns tonight; Kai, Chanyeol, Chen and Xiumin were playing billiards; and Lu Han went upstairs, running away from the imminent danger that would come as soon as the clock struck 10 pm.

 

The rest of the boys gathered after you called for them, and you handed Tao the bowl of popcorn as you stood. “Tao, please hold this while I drag my roommate over here,” you declared, and went up. 

 

You entered the room to see a big lump of something on Lu Han’s bed. You rolled your eyes, and removed the comforter to reveal a Lu Han all balled up like a cat, holding his knees and burying his head in between them.

 

“You won’t make me go down there!” he told you, and gripped his knees even tighter.

 

“Try and stop me,” you said, and grabbed the back of his shirt. You pulled him out of his eccentric defensive position, and finally, out of his own bed. “Stop being such a wuss and face your fear! And it’s not like you’re the only one in there! Take Chen, Lay and Baek Hyun for example, they’re excited to watch themselves.” you commanded.

 

“No, I refuse! I look weird on tv!” And like a child, he wriggled out of your grasp, and wrapped his comforter around him. “And it’s such a weird interview!” he whined.

 

You don't answer him, and let out a long, frustrated breath instead.  You stepped away from his bed and towards the door; you figured that you couldn’t do this on your own, not when he was being obstinate—you needed Kris and Chanyeol to carry your roommate downstairs.

 

“Kris, Xiumin! Come and help me!”

 

And sure enough, it took the three strongest members in EXO to drag the cowering Lu Han to the first floor.

 

“Tao, hold him down,” you ordered.

 

Tao nodded, and put a firm hand on Lu Han’s knee; your roommate sat in between you and the Chinese maknae. Lu Han pushed Tao’s hand away, and crossed his arms, pouting as he glared at you. “Do I need a restraining order or something?” he complained, “It’s not like I can go anywhere else; I have eleven men and a bull-fighter surrounding me. I think that if I even attempt to stand up, one of you will tackle me to the ground.”

 

You stare at him with dull eyes. “Is the bull-fighter supposed to be me? Very funny, Lu Han." 

 

“Well, I try,” he smirked in satisfaction.

 

“All right, break it up, you two,” Suho said, and pointed to the screen, “It’s going to start!”

 

“Welcome to The Friday Late Night Show!” the host, a petite, feisty woman with full bangs and a cute bob that encircled her round face, greeted the audience. She wore thick, square glasses, a plain, black sleeveless dress over a white, round-neck blouse, black tights, and simple, black flats.

 

“Are you all ready for tonight’s special guests?!” she cheered, to which the audience erupted in squeals and screams.

 

The Friday Late Night Show was a talk show developed by the Communication students and broadcasted in a private channel created specifically for programs produced by the students. The show invited guests who were stand-out students: students who either won in competitions, or students who were good at what they did (like that one Fine Arts student who started a clothing business featuring designs she had made herself).  Lay, Baek Hyun, Chen and your roommate were the guests in tonight's broadcast, having recently garnered victory in a choir competition.

 

You could hear the girls chant your friends' names. You laughed, amused to see so many fangirls and their cute messages for the boys on their tablets. "Didn't realize that you had so many fangirls."

 

“Thanks, Noona—“

 

“I bet you have some of your own, too,” Lu Han teased you. 

 

“Quiet,” Kris shushed, ordering the two of you to face the screen instead of each other.

 

“All right, all right, calm down, everyone,” the host gestured for the girls to sit down. “And because I know every single on of you is excited to see our guests, I’ll go ahead and skip our weekly music chart, and fast forward to their entrance.”

 

The crowd cheered, and the girls raised a flurry of colorful balloons up high: pink, red, yellow and violet. On the balloons were various messages and doodles for the four; most of them were the innocent, normal fangirl notes like ‘Sarangahae, Oppa!’ and ‘Oppa is daebak!’

 

Normal, fangirl like that.

 

You didn’t know Lu Han’s official color was pink. You smiled and added that to your list of things to about.

 

And then there were the hardcore confessions and wedding proposals, stating how much the girls wanted to have one of the boys’ children.

 

Okay, that was just creepy.

 

“I’m sure you all know them already, but for the sake of our viewers, let me just give a short background. They are the famous four soloists of SNU’s chorale, which was recently crowned as the national champion during the Busan Chorale Festival. They are here tonight in order to share to us a bit about their victory, and more about their personal lives, which I am sure all of you would want to hear. So, without further ado, let me welcome to our studio: our very own Byun Baek Hyun, Kim Jong Dae, Lu Han, and Zhang Yi Xing!

 

TVXQ’s ‘Keep Your Head Down’ started to play as the four entered from the doors behind the bleachers where the audience sat. Six production staff members blocked them as they went down the aisle; girls from everywhere reached out, screaming their names. Your boys smiled shyly at the audience, probably shocked themselves to find that they had this many fans.

 

Were they really just choir singers?

 

The host welcomed them and shook their hands before taking her seat and gesturing for them to do the same. They sat on the red stools prepared for each of them, and waved at the audience, a small smile on their faces.

 

“Wow, that was one heck of an entrance!” the host exclaimed, wiping her forehead as sweat ran down on it. “It made me wonder if you four were really just college students! Are you sure you’re not famous idols?” she joked, which earned her nervous laughter from the boys. “But seeing you four up-close made me realize why the girls go gaga over you: you really are good-looking!” she teased, giving them a big, goofy grin.

 

 You chuckled, eyes glued to the screen, "I like her." 

 

“Before we begin with the interview, can you four please introduce yourselves to our viewers? Ah, but don’t just say your names! You should give them your signature pose, all right? Baek Hyun-ssi, you go first!”

 

Baek Hyun took the microphone from her, and greeted the audience with his huge smile; despite that, you could see how Baek Hyun shivered a bit, nervous because this was the first time he’s been on tv, and in a talk show, at that. “I..Umm…Hi, everyone!” he waved cutely at the fangirls who squealed in return. “I am Byun Baek Hyun, a second year college student at SNU, and I sing Soprano in the choir! Umm…this is my signature move!” What his pose was was hard to describe as it seemed to be a cross-breed between Tao’s Bbuing-bbuing and Baek Hyun’s puppy yelp: he started off with one bbuing action, but it soon turned into him just yelping like a puppy and waving his free hand.  Well, whatever it was sure made the girls scream.

 

You laughed. “Baek Hyun, I didn't know you could be cute, too."

 

“Eh? What about me, Noona?” Tao whined.

 

“I’m the one on tv, Tao!” Baek Hyun said, grinning at him.

 

“Both of you are cute. Now, shut up and watch,” you told them.

 

 “Jong Dae, it’s your turn!” Baek Hyun handed Chen the mic; the latter gingerly received it, his fingers quivering in anxiety.

 

Ah, right, Chen was always one to have stage freight. You remembered that one time he was in a musical, and you were head of the set design team; Chen was so nervous, but you told him to shake it off and that there was nothing to worry about because he wouldn’t be chosen for the role if the director knew he couldn’t do it.

 

“Umm…I…I am Kim Jong Dae. It’s a pleasure to meet all of you. I…umm…I…” Chen grew flustered and stuttered incoherent words that could or could not exist. Instead of embarrassing himself any further, he bowed 90 degrees and apologized to the audience, “I’m sorry! I don’t have a signature pose!” Everyone in the studio, even the host and the three EXO boys, laughed at the nervous wreck that was Kim Jong Dae. Chen sat back down, and almost dropped the mic as he passed it to Lay. His face was still a lovely shade of cherry red, and he fiddled with his fingers, still not getting over the humiliation he just experienced.  

 

“Good day to everyone. I am Zhang Yixing. It’s nice to see that you are doing well.” Lay stood up, and gave a reverent bow to everyone. You could hear the multitude of “Ooh”s and “Aah”s of the audience as they admired Lay’s courtesy.

 

“And as for my signature pose…”

 

Lay set down the mic, and put a hand in his pocket. He tilted his head a bit to the side, his neck stretching to show his beautiful, milky skin, as he shot everyone a charismatic glance. The audience swooned, and Lay reverted to his normal, dignified self, showing a small smile before bowing and taking his seat.

 

“Gege,” he handed Lu Han the mic.

 

“I—“

 

“Wait,” the host stopped him, “Lately, we’ve been hearing how popular Lu Han is. Before we started the interview, we held a poll to know whom the audience thinks is the cutest among the four of you; Lu Han was voted number one! So, show us something cute, Lu Han!”

 

And little by little, the audience started to chant “Aegyo, aegyo, aegyo!”

 

Lu Han stared at everyone, incredulous over the task he was supposed to accomplish. He hated being called cute, and being told to do the disgusting aegyo that he hated so much. Where was Tao when you need him?

 

Lu Han did not move nor speak, still trying to process everything in his head.

 

“Well, come on!” the host urged, “Just do some bbuing-bbuing! I’m sure everyone wants to see it!”

 

Lu Han looked at the three, silently asking them what to do, begging for them to get him out of this situation. Lay whispered to him in Mandarin, “You can do it, Gege.” Lu Han turned to the audience, and they stared at him, anticipating his aegyo.

 

Damn you, Lay.

 

Damn you, host.

 

And damn you, face for looking so cute when you should be manly and handsome.  

 

“I…Umm…I’m Lu Han and…” he gulped, “Here goes nothing...”

 

Your roommate gave the audience a blank, dead stare and tilted his head left and right, his doe eyes bigger than usual. He straightened up, looking at the host nervously.

 

“Eh? That’s it?!” The host did not believe that that was the best he could do. “Do it with your hands!” She wasn’t letting him off the hook that easily.

 

Lu Han bit his lip, then flashed an awkward smile as he held up a loose fist to his cheek.  Half-heartedly, and with little movement as possible, he lightly rubbed the tip of his knuckles against his cheekbones, looking down on the floor--ashamed of what he was doing. He quietly passed the mic back to the host.

 

“See? That wasn’t so bad, right, everyone?”

 

The audience exploded into cheers and high-pitched squeals, their voices resembling the wails of dolphins. The studio was obviously having fun.

 

You, meanwhile, were trying to restrain your own laughter as you covered your mouth. No longer able to control yourself and in need of an outlet for your elation, you slapped your thigh as you doubled over. The boys, with the exception of Lu Han, were laughing along with you, enjoying their friend’s sorry attempt at aegyo.

 

“Shut up! You all know I hate being called cute!” he yelled, clearly unhappy with everyone’s reactions.

 

“LuLu,” you called him by his dreaded nickname, taking a few breaths, “When will you accept that you're the epitome of cute?” You shake your head, chuckling.

 

Honestly, you’ve always thought Lu Han was adorable because he was such a kid, and that when he threw tantrums or pouted in disdain, you felt like you were rooming with a spoiled, high-maintenance child. But that’s okay, because you enjoyed taking care of and annoying him.

 

Lu Han blushed because he’s only heard you say that to him a few times, and it made him feel both embarrassed and pleased to get that from the girl he likes. It was always “You lazy ,” or “Quit your job already,” from you, and never the sweet, affirming things that said anything positive about him.

 

He crossed his arms, frowning. “Shut up, all of you,” he mumbled, and it was a good thing that the lights were off, or you would have even more for being so scarlet.

 

“All right, so let’s finally begin with the interview!” the host enthusiastically said, crossing her legs. “Don’t be nervous, you guys! This is nothing compared to the stage freight you must have felt during the chorale competition, so just relax, yeah?” She smiled at themand got her clipboard from one of the staffers.

 

“Let’s just start with something easy, all right? First question: what’s it like to win the Busan Chorale Festival and be national champions?”

 

The boys looked at each, and there was an awkward silence as they decided who was going to answer. Baek Hyun meekly raised his hand, and received the mic. “Ah…Well, it’s…Of course, it’s amazing! The other choirs were really good, and while we watched them, we felt…umm…intimidated, asking ourselves whether or not we could perform as well as they did. Furthermore, Jong Dae, Yi Xing-hyung and I have only been in the choir for a little bit more than a year, not like Lu Han-hyung who’s really experienced…So to win something as big as the BCF is…It’s really amazing!”

 

The host nodded, delighted that Baek Hyun had calmed his nerves and was able to answer without much difficulty. “That’s good, that’s good. Being a second year, you must be really proud to accomplish such a feat at a young age. Your Hyungs and Noonas in the choir weren’t too hard on you, were they?” She smiled cheekily at Baek Hyun, Chen and Lay.

 

“No, no! Of course not!” Baek Hyun shook his head, waving his hand in objection. “Our moderator is kind and really knows his stuff; he’s very talented and deserving to be our coach. As for our Noonas and Hyungs in the choir—they’re all really nice and fun to be with! Actually,” he gestured to Lu Han, “Lu Han-hyung has been in the choir the longest among the four of us; he’s been a member since his freshman year. Although Yi Xing-hyung is a year above me and Jong Dae, the three of us joined at the same time, and Lu Han-hyung made sure that we felt welcomed in the choir.”

 

Baek Hyun smiled at your roommate, recalling the time he, Lay and Chen first stepped foot into the practice room in order to meet and get acquainted with the members. He remembered the warm eyes and smiles that greeted them, their soothing, melodic voices that ensured that the youngest members wouldn’t feel left out during break time or practice.

 

The audience “aww”-ed, deeply moved by Lu Han’s brotherly act toward the three.

 

“Well aren’t you four just adorable?” the host gushed. “And it’s remarkable, isn’t it?” she asked the audience, “Baek Hyun, Yi Xing and Jong Dae have only been in the choir for a short time, and are actually some of the youngest members, but they’ve already been appointed as soloists! These guys are truly talented!”

 

You glanced at Baek Hyun, Lay and Chen, and saw their bashful smiles as they felt embarrassed at the amount of praise they were receiving. Watching themselves be flattered like that really flustered them. You secretly smile to yourself; you'll never admit it, but these boys has got you feeling proud just being their Noona. 

 

“Let’s move on, shall we? Our next question is for Lu Han, who, as Baek Hyun has mentioned, has been in the choir the longest. Lu Han, you’ll be graduating soon, correct?”

 

He nodded.

 

“What will you miss most about the choir? Or anything in general about college life?”

 

Baek Hyun passed the mic to Lu Han, who stared intently at the floor, pondering over his answer. He blinked, tilting his head and pursing his thin lips as he contemplated.

 

This was just an act of course. He didn’t need to think twice about what—or, whorather—he was going to miss once he graduates and gets his degree. But he needed to at least show that he was earnestly mulling over his answer.

 

“Well, I…I will miss our rehearsals, definitely. Everyone in the choir is just so nice and goofy, but when it comes down to things like competitions and showcases, they know how to be serious. And whenever we gather for practice, you can see that each member is truly passionate about music and what we do." Lu Han looked over to the host, who stared back, expecting more from his curt answer.

 

Damn this woman.

 

He gripped the mic tighter, and swallowed hard. "And...umm...about college...The four of us are actually dorm-ers, and...being away from our families for so long, we all managed to find a home away from home in the dormitory. It's a small one, really, because it's not the main dorm of SNU, and there are more or less only forty people boarding. But...maybe that's why we are all so close, and it was so easy for us to make new friends and find a sort of brotherhood with each other."

 

"Ah, interesting, indeed. I hope you don't mind me asking if there are any particular people in the dorm you're really close with?"

 

Lu Han gave a small smile, one that showed so much happiness despite its size. "There are twelve people I consider as my brothers, but it's not that surprising because I spent my high school years with eleven of them." He gestured to Baek Hyun, Chen and Lay, "And three are here with me tonight."

 

Another wave of  "aww"s came from the audience; even the host could not help herself.

 

"That is so cute!" she exclaimed. "But you said only eleven of them are from your high school? Who's the twelfth?"

 

"Hyung's roommate!" Baek Hyun answered, his voice loud enough for everyone to hear even without a microphone.

 

"Roommate?"

 

Baek Hyun nodded, grinning. "Hyung just loves her--"

 

"He makes sure things go smoothly!" Lu Han blurted, his amplified voice overpowering Baek Hyun's. Stupid Baek Hyun's stupid intervention made him panic, and he jolted up, sputtering out the most random, nonsensical answer.

 

Everyone gave Lu Han a questioning look.

 

Your roommate sat back down as he adjusted his collar. Quickly, and inconspicuously, he shot Baek Hyun a death glare, before clearing his throat.

 

"I mean...My roommate...We didn't go to the same high school, and we've only known each other for a few years, but I am very grateful to have a roommate like him. No, that's not right. He's the only one I could ever be roommates with; I can't imagine what university life would be like without him."

 

Lu Han hugged the gigantic pillow to his chest, setting his chin on the top as he took a quick glance at you. You had your arms protectively wrapped around your knees, eyes glued to the screen. Lu Han couldn't read your expression, especially in the dark, and he hated that about you: you wore the best poker face.

 

"Aren't you mad?" he asked, turning to the tv. You never did like it when he referred to you as a guy.

 

"What's there to be mad about?" you shook your head, gaze never leaving the interview. "It would be weird, right? For a guy to have a girl as a roommate, especially in a boys' dorm. If you revealed my gender on national television, a lot of will happen, and I might have to kill a lot of people, too. That's not going to be nice...for them at least."

 

Lu Han smiled.

 

"Thanks," he murmured, glad that you understood him in more ways than one.

 

After another shower of squeals, screams, and "aww"s from the audience, the host decided to postpone the interview for a while, and play a game with the four. She would ask them about a certain quality or trait, and the boys had to point at the member they think has that characteristic.

 

The first trait was "most easily flustered," and Chen obviously garnered the most number of pointed fingers; even he pointed to himself, blushing madly as he fiddled with his fingers. "I'm trying...I'm trying my best to be more confident..." he meekly said, and in doing so, did not convince anyone into believing that he really was attempting to change for the better.

 

"How about...'the noisiest'?"

 

Automatically, three fingers gestured to Baek Hyun, who bowed his head in shame.

 

"Chanyeol, his roommate, said that he yelps like a puppy before going to bed...every night," Lu Han explained, laughing.

 

Lay nodded. "Even in the dorm! After classes, when everyone is all tired and just lounging in the lobby, Baek Hyun would enter and suddenly scream something about SNSD, and it would just wake everybody up." 

 

"Hyung, you're so mean!" Baek Hyun whined, earning him a fit of laughter from the audience.

 

"Okay, okay, break it up, you two!" the host teased. "The next one is," she flipped the illustration board to reveal the words 'dated most girls.' She smiled impishly at them. "I'm sure all the girls here would like to know~"

 

The boys looked at each other; no one dared to point fingers. Lu Han stared at the three with bloodshot eyes, his jaw stiffening as he tried to telepathically relay a message to his friends:

 

Don't you even.

 

The host, seeing the rigid statures of the boys, prodded, "Well, go on! Just point at someone!"

 

The three apologetically glanced at Lu Han, then pointed to him, sighing as they did.

 

The audience roared in disbelief. "Lu Han-oppa?!"

 

"LU HAN?!" the host exclaimed, even more stunned than the audience. "This is shocking news! Shocking news indeed!"

 

Lu Han flinched, and seized the microphone out of Lay's hands. "I was in high school!" he exclaimed, voice growing raspy. "I was...I was in high school," he mumbled, jutting out his lips in an adorable manner. Lu Han's face grew red as he thought of a way to explain the whole ordeal. Unable to find a solution, Lu Han merely bowed, his arm dropping to the side.

 

And it was Lay to the rescue as he took the mic and defended Lu Han, "Gege was very popular, and many girls confessed to him, but Gege's not like that kind of man, so please don't misunderstand. He only dated the girls he really, sincerely liked, and gently said no to the others. Gege's not like most guys who bluntly refuse and crush girls' hearts. And the reason why he dated the most is simply because Gege is loved by everyone at our high school. Everyone liked Gege because he was so easy to be with." Lay smiled at Lu Han and patted the latter's thigh in consolation. Lu Han smiled in return, thankful for what his friend did.

 

The girls squealed, pleased at the amount of fanservice they were receiving.

 

"Oh~ I see, I see. That really does explain everything! Anyway, that ends our game, so let's get back to the interview!" The host adjusted her position, shifting one leg over the other, and gave the illustration boards back to the staff. "All right, so since we're already in the topic of love, let me ask this: what are your ideal types? Why don't we give Lu Han a break first, and start with Baek Hyun."

 

"My ideal girl? Hmm...That's hard. I guess...Maybe someone who likes SNSD?" he said, grinning nervously and scratching his head. "And someone who takes interest in music!" he added. "I want to sing for her, so I hope she'll be one to enjoy it!"

 

"Jong Dae?"

 

Chen's face was yet again painted with a shade of bright red as his hands grew clammy, his throat drying as a huge lump formed in the passage. "I...Umm...I..." his voice quivered, "A Noona? I-I mean...Age doesn't matter, but...I'd like someone who can take care of me like how my older sister did." Cheeks still red, Chen swiftly passed the mic to Lay.

 

"I would like to date a girl who is filial and will show respect to my family. Call me old-fashioned, but I think girls with principles and courtesy are bound to be good mothers and wives."

 

"And last but not the least: Lu Han!"

 

The audience silenced as they watched Lu Han slowly take the mic from Lay. Lu Han nervously his lips.

 

"I like shy and a quiet girls."

 

The host nodded. "Ah, I see~ So that's how it is; you four sure have different tastes!" She turned to the audience, "And there you have it, ladies! Now you know what your favorite soloist's ideal is, so," she raised a fist, "Fighting!"

 

"That's not true!" Baek Hyun suddenly exclaimed, causing everyone to stop and stare at him as he pointed at Lu Han. "The girl Lu Han-hyung likes right now is--"

 

"Baek Hyun!" Lu Han chided. "Please, don't listen to him! I...I don't have anyone I like right now, nor am I dating someone."

 

The host narrowed her eyes at Lu Han. "You sound mighty suspicious right there, Lu Han."

 

"I'm telling the truth! Really!" he dismissed, raising both of his hands in defense. "I want to focus on my studies for now, especially since graduation is just around the corner. I don't have time to be in the dating scene!" And just like before, Lu Han quickly shot Baek Hyun a menacing glance, signaling for him to deny all the the younger boy just said.

 

Baek Hyun chuckled uneasily, and shakily took the mic from Lu Han. "It was just a joke, everyone! Haha~ Besides being the 'noisiest,' I also like to pull pranks, so please don't take what I said seriously! I do apologize! And as for Lu Han-hyung--he really doesn't have anyone special right now. He's working and studying really hard in order to graduate with honors."

 

"Liar," you mumble, giving him your famous deadpan look. "You have a girl you like, don't you?" 

 

Lu Han's eyes rounded in surprise. You said it so simply, so surely; it was as if you knew something he'd rather keep a secret. Did you perhaps--?

 

"That girl the other night; she's your girlfriend, isn't she? I bet she's feeling crushed right now. To have her boyfriend deny her like that on television is pretty sad." you reprimanded him, disappointed with what he did.

 

Lu Han furrowed his brows at you. He couldn't believe you; here he was, anxious and clammy because his big secret was nearly revealed right in front of the girl his secret practically revolved around, and all you could do was scold him and think of another girl he could very well care less about?

 

His life was so ed up.

 

"It was just a date! That doesn't mean that we're together!"

 

Your lackluster eyes tell him that you're not amused with what he's been doing. 

 

Lu Han whimpers as he brings his knees together. "Can we please not talk about this?" he mewled. 

 

You kept quiet and sat down, gazing at your roommate's pouty face. Instantly, you felt guilt for having thrown painful words at him.

 

"Sorry," you whispered. You weren't sure if he forgave you because he did not say a word.

 

"Now, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unfortunately, our program has come to an end," the host said as she stood up. "Thank you very much for being here with us today, Baek Hyun, Jong Dae, Yi Xing, and Lu Han. Thanks to the four of you, our viewer ratings have gone up!" she joked, to which the audience erupted in giggles.

 

"Haha, but seriously, we truly appreciate your visit, and we are grateful for the time you took to be with us tonight. I'm sure all of you are busy with your schoolwork, so being here with us tonight--we've never felt so thankful. Please accept this token of our appreciation." She gave the boys a white box with a decadent chocolate cake inside. The cake had "Congratulations, National Champions!" iced on an edible, sugar board.

 

The four bowed to the host as they received their cake.

 

"Thank you very much for having us tonight! We would also like to thank our supporters who came here today, and also those who are watching. Thank you so much for all the love and support you give to SNU and our choir. We couldn't have done it without you!" Baek Hyun, ever the spokesperson, said.

 

"Till next time!"

 

And after one excruciatingly long and twisted interview, the host finally waved goodbye to her audience.

 

~

 

You stared up at the ceiling, unable to sleep despite how late it was. After the show had ended, you teased Lu Han some more, before everyone conceded that it was time to go to bed. Lu Han, still embarrassed over everything that happened in the interview, dropped onto the bed and in an instant, was dead to the world, thinking that sleep was probably the only real good thing that happened to him tonight. You, on the other hand, could not sleep, a single question keeping you awake.

 

You put your arms behind your head.

 

"Lu Han," you called.

 

"...What?" he slurred, obviously sleep-talking already.

 

Him and that quirk of his.

 

"What you said...about me being your roommate and how you could never have anyone else to be your roommate..."

 

"...What...about it?"

 

"Were you being truthful?" You didn't know why you asked that, because you already knew the answer. You could read Lu Han like an open book, and you could easily determine whether or not he was lying, but somehow, even though you clearly knew the answer, you wanted to hear it from him, even if it was a sleeping Lu Han that spoke to you.

 

"...I was...you...idiot...Every word in that answer...was said...with the...utmost sincerity..."

 

You smiled, feeling satisfied.

 

"That's great, because," you turned to the side, eyelids finally drooping down. "I would have said the same thing to you," you whispered, drifting to sleep. 


Author's Note:

AND, after three days of writing and a day of not updating, I finally present to you: Media Intervention! 

Man, that is one long chapter! I am so sorry I only got to post it now :))

And just so you know, the host is, yes, the host from their Youku Interview. XD I just love her to bits because she is the cutest host ever! And I like how she openly teases EXO <3 And Lu Han's sorry attempt at aegyo is also based on his actions in the same interview! You can just search it on youtube :))

Lay's pose, meanwhile, is based on the EXO Mama photobook, while Baek Hyun's is his "aegyo" which he showed during that one interview in Show Champions! :)) And by the way, because Baek Hyun is the only EXO-K member featured in the interview, I had no choice but to make up his ideal type. It'll be amazing if his type really did turn out to be just as how I described it :))

I would like to clarify something about the protagonist. On most occasions, she doesn't like it when Lu Han introduces her as a guy, especially to his friends and dates. But because the interview was on tv, it would cause a ruckus if the whole nation found out :))

Oh! I also wanted to answer a question regarding the issue of me not posting in chronological order; I actually answered this already in the comments, but I wanted to put it here as well: 

I know it gets confusing, but I wanted to sort of challenge the readers into thinking what could happen, what they want to happen--those things. And because this is my first fic and a drabble book at that, it's full of experiments :)) Plus, if you noticed, even though some the arcs aren't done yet, I include references about them in other chapters to leave you guys guessing or predicting. And thanks so much for reading; I'm glad that you'll continue to read it 8D

So there you have it :)) 

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter, because it was one hard chapter to write :))

And of course, thank you so much for reading, subscribing and commenting! I would also like to thank my new subscribers for giving this fic a chance! 8D

Please do drop in a thought or two. I just love reading your comments!

Till next time!

 

Next chapter: You and D.O.'s Special Red Velvet Cupcakes meet again!


Except...there's something weird about them.