Break a leg

Roommates (dropped)

"Chen, you're up in two!"

 

Backstage was a mess; people--stage managers, props crew members, make-up artists, and the cast themselves--were running around, panicking over the little matters that could drastically affect the whole play. You, meanwhile, were too busy looking at your clipboard to have felt the fast approaching presence of a production member. The said unknown member bumped onto your shoulder. You quickly turned around to see who it was, but all you could do was glare at his back. He didn't even say "Sorry."

 

Your face cringed. "Ew," you muttered, and hurriedly took out your handkerchief and began wiping and rubbing the spot where he hit you. You hated being touched. Even if it was a fast, tiny, accidental poke, any contact with skin or clothed material from another being sickened you. It always left a burning, irritating sensation--touching, that is.

 

"Noona, are you all right?" Chen asked you.

 

"Of course not. Some idiot bumped onto me. Dude didn't even apologize. Disgusting."

 

Chen chuckled. "Noona, if  you hate being touched so much, why'd you join the production crew in the first place?"

 

You smiled at him. "You see, Chen, I've been doing this since I was in high school--joining productions of all kinds. But there's only one committee that I ever sign up for: set design. At least there, I'm guaranteed that I'll be touching no one and no one will be touching me. Besides, I'm good with my hands; my skills in props-making are pretty exceptional."

 

"Lu Han-hyung did say that you are meticulous with things."

 

"That, and because he's always such a mess."

 

It was dark backstage, but you could still make out what Chen looked like: he was wearing a black suit with a matching black tie and a pair of black, leather shoes. "Hey, you look great, Jong Dae."

 

Chen had always been a bashful boy, and he smiled awkwardly. His sharp cheekbones perfectly sculpted his face whenever he gave a smile, whether is was a shy one or a really bright one. "Thanks, Noona."

 

"You're nervous, aren't you?" Chen nodded meekly. "You can do it, Chen! It's your time to shine. Your family's out there, and so are your eleven, annoying best friends. There's nothing to be afraid of."

 

"Noona, your words just scared me."

 

You gulped, having not meant for your words to backfire and have the opposite effect on him. You were never much of an encouraging person. "Ah, that...Hmm, what I mean is, the people you love are watching you, so whatever you do, they will support and cheer for you. Don't worry too much, all right?" You showed him a thumbs-up, "You'll do great, I know. You're Chen, for Pete's sake. You're the only one who can reach those damn high notes." Chen was a talented person, anyone who was anyone knew that, still, he couldn't escape from moments of helplessness and insecurity because he was just so scared of making mistakes. Lu Han had told you that in a play they did back in high school, he saw Chen quivering in a corner, asking himself whether or not he could make the audience happy with his performance. Chen's confidence was always the product of his nervousness being eased by his friends and the people who loved him. And at this time, you were his only possible source of motivation.

 

The boy's eyes brightened and he stood straight, seeming more confident now.   "Thanks, Noona."

 

"Anyway, I have to run; I'm putting the hand props on stage for the next scene." With a final thumbs-up, you hurried off to the other part of the stage to alert your members.

 

Chen looked at your retreating form. "Noona, we all know that one of them is watching just to see you go on stage and take out those props."

 


 

Author's Note:

 

All right, all right, forgive me for writing such a boring chapter, but I wanted to insert some character development.

 

Have you noticed? The protagonist is always immersed in some form of activity: animal shelter volunteer, lemonade stand owner, and now the head of some play's set design team. She's a bit of an anti-social person, but she does like keeping herself busy.

 

Weird girl.

 

:))

 

Anyway...OH SNAP, LU HAN, CHEN KNOWS YOUR HIDDEN AGENDA.

 

God, cutie-Chen needs more appreciation, and this is what you do to him, Lu Han?

 

Poor Chen.

 

Next chapter: a mini-arc begins (or does it?) !

 

Thanks for reading and subscribing! I love you, my dear readers!

 

Comments are appreciated! I want to hear from you, guys!