Fair play

Soulmate

          Hours flew by without any of you noticing. It was already getting dark when he arrived but now it was pitch dark outside. You were both watching TV and commenting everything, laid on the floor, among empty cans of beer and orange juice, laughing at everything.

“Shouldn’t you be heading home?” You asked in a moment of silence.

“Are you kicking me out?” He asked turning around, turning his head towards you.

“If it were for me… I would keep you here forever.” You said turning serious and looking him deep in the eye.

          You were looking in each other’s eyes. His eyes made your heart beat faster than ever, woke the sleepy butterflies in your tummy and took your breath away, but you just couldn’t look away and you could feel that neither could he.

“I wish you would.” He said looking away and freeing you from the trance his eyes had put you in. Your conversation was interrupted by his phone. You smiled sadly, knowing who it was. He pulled out his phone and pressed the green button, letting Tiffany’s voice erupt from the speakers.

“Where are you?”

“At a friend’s house.” He answered with no emotions in his voice, no love.

“What are you doing there? You should have been home by now.” She replied on a bossy tone. That was the same Tiffany as ever.

“I’m staying overnight.” He said making your jaw drop and heart beat like you were being chased by a serial killer.

“What?! You’re not staying…” She started screaming when Youngbae’s calm voice interrupted her.

“Tiffany… I’m tired of fighting. I’m taking the night off.” He said and hung up on her, then turned off his phone. “I’m sorry I invited myself over, I’m going to look for a hotel…” He said getting up but you grabbed his wrist, pinning it to the ground.

“Stay.” You said giving him a reassuring smile. “I feel you could use a friend.” You said handing him another can of orange juice.

“Thanks.” He answered faking a smile.

“Are you and Tiffany happy?” You asked after taking a deep breath. He looked up at you and sighed.

“We’re anything but it. We’re always fighting…” He said burying his eyes in the ground. “I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong.” You were looking in his eyes and could tell he felt like crying but was trying hard to fight the tears. You kneeled next to him and put your arms around his neck, hugging him tight and resting your chin on his head. How did that happen? How did God let him slip through your fingers like that?

“Youngbae…” You whispered inhaling his scent. “She doesn’t deserve you.” You said to yourself, trying hard not to say it out loud. In fact, a fair war must begin with a declaration.

          He slept on the couch and left early in the morning before you woke up but he had left behind another sticky note. You ran to the closet and read it:

“We have early practice this morning, thank you for letting me stay.” You smiled slightly before getting into “determined mode”.

          After eating, you got on a cab and stopped in front of a big white building. You looked around at the luxury that surrounded you, feeling the cab had taken you to another country. You had seen the building on your way to the hotel on Tiffany’s wedding day but if looked completely different when standing in front of it.

--

“See that white building over there?” Tiffany said pointing at the imposing luxurious building.

“It looks expensive!” You exclaimed widening your eyes.

“It is and THERE is where I and Youngbae are going to be living after we get married.” She said enthusiastically, arranging her long hair. “He already bought the apartment.”

--

“Good morning, I’m looking for the Dong Family.” You told the guardian that gave you a suspicious look the moment you approached the entrance.

“If it’s not my little nerd.” Tiffany’s high voice pierced your ears before the guard got to answer. “What are you doing here?” She asked faking a surprised expression but pulling off a superior one instead.

“I came to give you a heads up.” You answered looking up in her eyes since she was twice your height. “I’m not giving Youngbae up... Not to someone who makes him unhappy. Not to someone who does not realize what a treasure he is. Not to someone who does not cherish him. Therefore, not to you.” You said giving her a determined look. “This is war, Tiffany.”