Complicated

Soulmate

 

“You’re a terrible dancer.” I said laughing at her clumsiness. “You stepped on my feet five times so far.” I added laughing.

“Well thank you very much; you are very kind to point that out.” She said ironically, trying to pull her hand away and leave but my grip on her hand tightened automatically as my other hand that was around her waist, pulled her back unconsciously.

“It doesn’t mean we should stop dancing.” I said giving her a reassuring smile. She looked away blushing in embarrassment and continued dancing. As soon as the song ended she pulled her hand out of my grip and turned around to leave but I stopped her unconsciously. She turned around and gave me a confused look but I looked just as confused. My body was acting on its own, trying to stop her from leaving without any apparent reason. “O-one more dance?” I asked trying to make the situation less awkward.

“N-no thank you, I’d rather sit now.” She said giving me a forced smile and sat back at the table.

          I was looking at my own hands trying to understand what that was earlier.

“Let’s dance!” A complete stranger exclaimed cheerfully into my ear, pulling my arm to the dance floor. I looked at her, surprised and saw Tiffany smiling and waving her hands at me, trying to tell me to go with her. I complied, trying to avoid a fight with her and danced with that girl.

--

          We were moving around slowly but my eyes were glued to her. There was just something about her that fascinated me. She was hard to read and I could feel that behind her poker face were hidden more feelings than behind the brightest smile.

          My eyes followed her around the room, as she made her way to Tiffany and told her something before going on the balcony together. After getting tired of dancing, I decided to go out and see what was going on.

“…you know it very well, Tiffany.” She whispered on an annoyed tone. “Why did you invite me here?”

“Because you’re my friend.” Tiffany answered making a surprised expression.

“Oh, c’mon, Tiffany, we haven’t talked in three years. Not one word. I’m just one person among those 2 hundred guests. So what’s the real reason? What are you trying to prove?” I walked in the balcony and gave them both a confused look.

“What’s going on here?”

“N-nothing, darling.” Tiffany said walking next to me and caressing my shoulder. “J-just a friendly talk, right?” She said faking a smile and looking at her but I could tell she was sad.

“Look, I’m very sorry but this is supposed to be the happiest night of our lives.” I told her taking a step towards her friend. “I can’t let anything ruin it so I’ll have to ask you to leave.” I said giving her a determined look. To my surprise, she didn’t say anything; she just smiled, making my heart throb. A horrible feeling made way into my heart at the sight of her smile. She crossed her arms and walked in, rubbing her upper arms. I wanted to turn around and stop her the moment she passed by me, but instead I turned the other way and looked at Tiffany. “Baby, I know she is…”

“It’s alright. I’m glad you did this. In the end, I guess people DO change, don’t they?” She said sighing. “I can’t believe she became like that.” She continued rolling her eyes. She put her hands in front of her face and blew hot hair, trying to warm them up. I walked up to her and wrapped her in my arms, kissing her cheek.

“Let’s go inside and dance.” I said and she answered with a kiss.

“I can’t wait for this to be over.” She said giggling playfully but instead of amusing me, her words brought a slight feeling of annoyance over me. It had been HER idea to have such a big party and she was the one complaining, but I wanted her to be happy so I kept quiet and faked an amused smile.

“Yeah, me too.” I answered leading her inside.

          Time was passing harder than ever. It was like time stopped but not in the good, dreamy way. Instead, it felt like one of those classes you can’t stand when time feels like it doesn’t pass at all and you are dying to get out.

          I walked out of the building to breathe some fresh air, in an attempt to send away the tiredness that was slowly taking over me. In front of the entrance, sitting on the border was the blonde girl I had earlier been a jerk to, Tiffany’s high school friend. I was still feeling bad and I felt I needed to apologize.

          I took a few steps towards her and sat quietly. She turned her face away and sniffed. I could tell she was crying and I was hoping with all my heart I wasn’t the cause… it couldn’t have been, right?

“Hello.” I said breaking the silence but she didn’t answer. “I’m sorry for…”

“I don’t want to hear it… whatever you have to say… I don’t care.” She answered in a shaky voice and sniffed again.

“I really am sorry. I didn’t mean to make you cry… I was a jerk…” I said feeling awful for something that earlier felt so right.

“I’m not crying; my nose is running because I’m cold.” She said sniffing again.

“Then why won’t you look at me?” I asked leaning forward to look at her face and she covered her face with her hands just like a little kid.

“Why would I?” She asked resting her forehead on her knees.

“Because I’m talking to you.” I answered taking off my jacket and placing it lightly on her shoulders.

“I don’t need it, I’m leaving shortly. I’m just waiting for my cab.” She said sliding it off and giving it back to me.

“I’m sorry.” I said putting the jacket back on her shoulders.

“I said I don’t…” I stood up and waved at the driver of Big Bang’s limousine and he quickly came over.

“Please take the lady wherever she asks.” I said pointing at her using my hand. He nodded and in no time, the band’s limousine was pulled in front of the entrance. “This is the least I can do to make it up so please accept it.” I said giving her a sad smile, sincerely regretting making her cry but I had no idea she was so sensitive.

“My cab has just arrived so, no thank you. I don’t need anything from you.” She said kind of harshly and got on the cab sliding her hands into the sleeves of the big jacket that was making her look even smaller than she already was.