Chapter 2

A Promise To My Twin Sister

10 years ago, I was only 8, and barely knew that the world was cruel. "Life is fair" I had always believed in that, but I guess, the world won't let it be fair, at all.

 

Yoona and I were totally different, she got thousands of friends to hang out with, but not me. It was not that they hate me, it was just.. They said I look scary, too stubborn, and yeap, they preferred hanging around with Yoona, rather than me. I didn't really affect me, although I somehow changed because of that.   Even in Year 3 of primary school, they separate the smarto and the dumbo. The class ranged from 8A to 8F, Yoona was in 8A, and I was in 8E, nearly got to be the worst.  

 

Anyway. how would you feel, if you begged for something, but your parents wouldn't even bother to buy you one?   It doesn't actually sound THAT BAD, but it actually does. I used to dream, buying a necklace with my initial on it. What my parent said was, "Little kids shouldn't use jewellery", "You'll lose it", "You don't wear jewellery that much", "It'd be a waste of money". All I could say to them was, "Okay".  

 

There was this one annoying girl, she thought that she was like the princess of our school, but I strongly disagreed. I could say that Yoona's actually the princess. Okay, let's start the story.  

 

That stupid girl and I actually shared the same name, which obviously showed that we have the same initial. She effin' wore the necklace I've always wanted, she tried to show it off to everything, especially to me. I really felt like grabbing it away from her neck, but I wouldn't, because I knew stealing could never be right.   What shocked me was that, she dared to come to my class and made some kind of an idiotic announcement, "I lost my necklace, it costs 800 000 won! I guess.. Someone here, stole it! I know, that's her!" she spoke out loud and pointed at me.  

 

The thing I hated most was because my classmates had never trusted me, they never really spoke to me, and what they knew about me, was that I'm Yoona's twin sister, but I'm totally different from her. Some of them said, "She has the same initial as her, so it must be true", "She's a thief", "No wonder she doesn't have any friend", "Let's report to the police", and stuffs.

 

Although they never really found evidence about me, stealing her necklace, they told their mama about it, and reported it to the police. Just a simple problem, but yet, they made it such a big problem. I ended up being isolated at school, totally isolated, everyone sees me as a thief, and was disgusted to see me. We were only eight by then, and I never thought they could have such way of thinking.   The police came into my house and talked to my parents, I cried and explained everything. After a few weeks of some kind investigation thingy, they found out that the necklace actually fell at the soccer field. I didn't steal it, it was obvious. It didn't change anything, though, they still sees me as a thief.  

 

Every morning I walked pass the school gate, I could hear whispers and people were finger-pointing at me, only me. They even tried to lock me up inside the toilet, and turned off the light. They knew I was afraid of the dark.   I cried a lot, begging so that they would listen and understand me. But all they did was mock me, and said I wasn't supposed to be here, but inside the jail. That was rude.  

 

"you-ah, are you okay?" Yoona asked me, I was sitting down on the swing and played with the grass with the tip of my toe.  

"Oh, Yoona-yah, I'm okay, I just have to get used to it" I answered and lowered down my head.  

"I heard that your classmates mocked you really badly, sorry I couldn't protect you that time" she apologized and stood beside me.  

"You don't have to apologise, Yoon"  

"I want to tell you how you feel. Mom and Dad told me to take care of you"  

"I just feel bad, I don't have friends at all, they all left me, even from the start. I just felt bad that time goes, but it got worse"  

"I will always trust you, you're my sister"  

"You might think of leaving me, when we grow up" I threw a little rock to the ground.  

Yoona grabbed the swing I was on to stopped it from swinging, and squat down in front of me, "you-ah, does Mom and Dad trusts you?", I nodded.  

"Do I trust you? What do you think?" she asked again, and I nodded again.  

"I promise I won't hurt you, I'll trust you, and as much as I can, I'll protect you well. Just trust me too, you-ah" she said.  

I smiled at her and sobbed a bit more, "Yoona-yah, let's stay by each other's side until we can no longer feel our knees when we're standing, until our hair turns grey, and until the only thing we can do is wait for the right time to close our eyes" I promised her.