Chapter 1

A Promise To My Twin Sister

 

Dear Diary,                                                                     20,07,2012                                                                                                                                                                                          

            This week was the highlight of this month! I could not believe that despite having a super-busy-body father, he indeed chose to put aside his job and spent a week with his family. I was so glad that I even spent the night sleeping on his muscular arms. Momma told me that I was too heavy that even Dad’s arm could not handle, so she carried me away from him, and placed me on the bed beside Yoona. I was just so sick of sleeping beside her, so sick of her smell, and especially when she sleep-talks. It made me feels like I’m dead, somehow, as I could even hear the voice of that sleeping-beauty.

            Seriously, I had always hoped that I could have a normal life like all the other girls in school. Normal family as in, Dad goes back home at 7 o’clock and have pies together as a family, Mom cooks dinner really well and picks us up from school. However, heaps and heaps of hopes were just unnecessary; it would not change a thing, although I begged for it. People say I was lucky to have such a work-a-holic parents, but I guess not! I love them, though.

            Diary! Yoona’s here, in front of my door, trying to eaversdrop, I guess she’s going to start nagging again, because I ate her food this afternoon! Anyway, the song titled “Promise” was stuck on my mind. Oh..oh..promise me tonight..ooh. Bye, I’ll tell you more, tomorrow...”

 

Yoona went inside my room without even bothering to knock, even once. It does not matter, though, because my room is also her room. “Pa’s home?” I asked her curiously.

“Guess not. He spent the whole week with us, so probably.. He’s not going to be home ‘till, maybe, 10? 11?  Not sure either. Even Ma’s not here” Yoona threw herself to the bed and took the diary I was holding loosely.

“Not going to try to fix that, Yoon?” I asked her

“What should I fix? Is there anything wrong with me, or something?” she smiled

“Aniyo. Those naughty hands! I guess you better stop touching my possessions without my permission, get that?”, I grabbed my diary from her grasp and went out of the room. It didn’t please me at all, although I used to read her the entry of my diary, but not today.

 

I banged the door really hard, but I could still hear Yoona’s scream, “YOUR WRITING SKILLS HAS IMPROVED LATELY, DARL!”. I could not really differentiate Yoona’s compliment and insult, it freaking sounds the same. Her dorky expression whenever she compliments me, it really made me feel as if she has never read something better than my diary entry.

 

I walked down and tried to find a place where Yoona would not be able to find me, or else, she would try to annoy me repeatedly. I do not really get how people likes innocent girls like Yoona; wild girls like me are more fun to get along with. Am I partially right? The cold winter breeze made me feel the goosebumps on my skin; I neglected the cold, and walked towards the garden of my house. My house is not big, but it has a small garden behind it, and we used to play fireworks there every Christmas and New Years Day. I wonder whether that would happen again, someday.

My phone vibrated as I was stupidly trying to count the stars, hoping I might be the first person to succeed counting the stars. Nevermind, I at Maths anyway, I wouldn’t succeed even if I tried hard. I dug in my pocket and grabbed my vibrating phone. Urgh, it’s Dad. “Anyeonghaseyo, Appa!” I greeted him

“Have you guys eaten dinner, yet? I told Auntie to cook you dinner”

“Oh, don’t worry, Appa. We’ve eaten well, just work hard and go home soon, I miss you”

“U-umm, mianhae, you .  Dad and Mom needs to stay back ‘til midnight, we’re really busy, and all I could do is to call you now. I’m really sorry, I’ll see you tomorrow morning.”

“Ne, arasoyo~” I hung up the phone slowly, as I listened closely to him, breathing calmly.

 

you - ah” Yoona called slowly, she was standing casually in front of the glass door that seperates the garden and our living room. “Oh, you’re here” I said unenthusiastically.

“Yes, I’m here. What happened? Who called you just now? You looked so down, doesn’t look like my little twin sister” she tried to make me feel good, but I guess she would not succeed.

“That old busy-body businessman, he told me he wouldn’t be home ‘til midnight, or probably tomorrow morning. What the , really!” I cursed. “He might even forget our birthday tomorrow, that busy-, seriously! I’m going nuts” I added.

“Watch your words, you ! They work so we could go to school, eat, and survive. Would you even dare to see them beg for money so that we could surivive? No, right? So just bear with it, it is just their life, they are doing something for us, and they are not doing it for themselves. Don’t worry, and stop cursing!”

“They loved you too much, and they loved me too little! You might just feel okay, but I feel terrible. I just want to feel as if I’m important as well”

“You ARE important, you’re really important to the family! Look at me, please. We made a promise ten years ago, no matter what happens, I’ll stand beside you, even if you feel that Dad and Mom doesn’t care about you, but you need to have that faith inside you, that they do love you, they love you as much as I love you” Yoona wiped the tears that were running down my cheeks. “Anyway, this was the first time seeing you crying like this after eight years. Good work, Sist!” she joked and slapped my head.

I ran after her and tried to hit her back, seconds by seconds, I could feel my heart feel lightened a bit. Thanks to her, but the promise we made, she really did remember it. Too bad, I actually forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me. YEAP, I am a bit y sometimes, I love myself too much, I couldn’t even bother to love anyone else, too busy for myself.