Chapter 28

Nightingale (2008/2011)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Well, this is new.

After she passed out confusion set upon him. Were he in the audience of fellow classmates, Jonghyun would have not treated her body so kindly as he brought her back to the Academy’s grounds. Jumping over the stone fence a second time is more difficult when the body in your arms is asleep—unconscious. Minho was of absolute no help; he shouldn’t have expected any as he, Jonghyun, is the Guardian. Everyone was still in class, the stealthy security couldn’t possibly track a Kim (or any offspring from high society) crossing onto the grounds like a regular student caught ditching, and Taemin was nowhere to be seen. Waltzing into the dorms was so ing easy an imbecile could do it.

There is private section of the dormitories that is saved for high ranks, at the moment there are only four permanent students living here. Kicking open the door to his room, Jonghyun found Minho waiting for him on the divan and--since he could be of use now--he inquired for Minho to make good of his talents. Memory surges are no problem for a mind-manipulator like him. Jonghyun was counting on Minho’s capability to erase Bea’s foul thoughts about him (and maybe even give her a new life for the hell of it, but that’s pushing it). That was his hope before Minho deduced that a half-blood is in their presence.

According to Minho, treating her like another piece of meat could lift the veil he set over her conscience; he set a strict instruction to his Guardian to not by any means enrage her, pissing her off isn’t something guys want to see anyway. Not to mention that the mind-manipulator felt bothered with the ability to only hinder her memories and not completely take over; he couldn’t be sure how long his veil will last.

He’ll deny it if anyone question and it’s almost too painful to admit it, but, maybe Jonghyun made a mistake.

And by mistake, he’s thinking about the tasty snack from the closest town that was currently failing to hide behind Bea on his bed.

There had been plenty of other humans to choose from, but the waitress made it much too easy. The diner she was serving at was nearly empty save for a bearded man drinking coffee in a booth. Jonghyun waited in his car for her shift to end, a thumbnail between his teeth as he watched her wipe a table. When another vehicle turned into the parking lot and pulled up to the employee backdoor, at the same time that the waitress was untying her apron, Jonghyun’s curiosity peaked and he stepped out of his car.

The waitress pulled the band out of her hair and embraced the man from the parked vehicle. The breeze blew their scents in Jonghyun’s direction; he took a whiff, his mouth already watering with the idea of a fresh meal--even if their combined perfumes tickled his nose the wrong way. The boyfriend raised his head and unhooked his arms from her waist, then opened the passenger’s side door of his vehicle. The moment he closed the door and turned to sprint onto the other side, Jonghyun emerged from the shadows and backhanded the taller guy. He wasted no time in reaching for the passenger handle, the quicker he silences the waitress, the better.

“What the are you doing?!” a deep voice hollered.

Kind of a pity that the cement didn’t crack his skull, Jonghyun should have hit him harder. Now he has to actually get his hands dirty. Ignorant humans, they can’t just stay down, can they? The potent eyes of the guy drew dark and bewilderment quickly changed into anger. The man jumped up and charged. Jonghyun smirked and disappeared.

The man just barely stopped himself from slamming into his car and made the mistake of checking on his passenger. Her face was blocked by the splatter of blood across the window and her scream muffled. Jonghyun ripped the chunk of flesh of the guys’ neck by yanking his head back, he spit out the over-perfumed piece and wiped his mouth with the back of his sleeve.

“Type B.” he smirked, running a tongue over his teeth.

He felt cocky enough to kick the pooling body before pulling the door handle. Locked. A bubble of annoyance perched in his stomach and his fist flew through the glass faster than the waitress could cover her face. A heavy hand around and he hoisted her out, the points of glass nipping at her uniform. If she had worn her seatbelt like a responsible citizen, it would have been harder for Jonghyun so he thanks her for that, but he does not appreciate her cheap press-on nails touching his gorgeous face.

“You shouldn’t have done that.” Was the last thing she heard, then her head met cement.

Waking up on a cold, metal table that was clearly in a gourmet kitchen frightened the poor waitress so much that she practically screamed her head off. She ran hysterically for less than ten seconds and found herself the prey in sport. Throwing any objects she found at Jonghyun only got her so far; the tall guy she bumped into didn’t help. Running into the first unlocked room and begging the help of the person she saw in the bed is only a reasonable thing to do. But then the room resident actually talked to the monster that attacked her.

The shock that Jonghyun received when Bea said his name almost crumbled his composure in the doorway.

She shouldn’t be able to recognize him at all; she was supposed to wake up confused and disoriented, but Bea’s outer appearance seems perfectly fine. The way her eyes narrowed in on Jonghyun let him know that she wasn’t watching him like a stranger--she was acknowledging him.

“You know who I am?” he pointed to himself, painfully keeping a grin on his face.

“Of course, you’re the punk that bashed my head into a window.” Bea deadpanned.

His smile faltered. That’s something he specifically asked Minho to remove. “What else do you remember?”

She scoffed. “Why are you assuming that I forgot things?”

Never mind that she doesn’t recognize where she is right now. Jonghyun thinks she doesn’t remember something and that can be anything but good. The fact that she actually doesn’t dredge up any positive feelings is already weird and she doesn’t have anything but annoyance toward him right now. The last thing she can remember is--actually very fuzzy like a dream and felt like ages ago--when Jonghyun had walked into homeroom as his late and snobby self, after that things get ridiculously blurry. She only intended the window jibe as a sarcastic reply, but he just proved that that actually happened and it wasn’t a dream. Okay, this is beyond weird.

“You had amnesia, it’s safe for me to assume that it’s fading. I’m glad you’re starting to remember me.” Jonghyun lies through his teeth.

“How did I get amnesia? Did I hit me head or something?” she finds this really hard to believe, obviously. Bea suddenly stuck an arm out, pointing at him accusingly. “You hit my head!”

“Stop talking to it! He’s lying! He’s going to kill you too!” the battered waitress had a death-grip on her shoulders from behind, her attempt to hide behind Bea and whisper warnings is an epic failure in Jonghyun’s eyes.

It’s not like the boney fingers hurt, but the fear in the woman’s voice reminds Bea that she isn’t where she’s supposed to be. Jonghyun didn’t move from the doorframe, he stayed there with that stupid grin

Please log in to read the full chapter