Chapter 15

Nightingale (2008/2011)
Please log in to read the full chapter

What the hell? Bea ran over in her mind what Key had just said.

She lied.

“What do you mean she lied?” My aunt doesn’t lie.

“Think about it. A prestigious vampire academy far from civilization. Why would she send you here?”

“Maybe she doesn’t know anything about this place. Just that it’s a school far away…” she trailed off, replaying what happened the day her Aunt Karen announced she was fed up with her niece.

 The day was calm and nothing out of the ordinary. Bea had been caught up in another mishap at school. Some third year chick had purposely targeted Bea during a dodgeball game in physical education and hit her numerous times. Now, Bea isn’t stupid. She knows not to do anything rash in plain view of the instructors, with their eagle eyes and all. She waited till the b*tchy girl and her gang dispatched to the locker rooms and went to shower off the workout sweat. Their little group of popular cliché have been on Bea’s hit list for a while now, so instead of waiting it out like she normally does, (to take attention away from her, just in case.), she had straight locked them in the showers then ran to the school’s engineering room at the back of the school. The broilers and equipment found there are basically the heart of the school, controlling the internal air and water temperature. Yes, water. Specifically labeled valves just waiting to be tampered with.

Bea had adjusted the valves to exclude hot water, turning off the heat resulted in freezing temperatures. The girls were locked in frigid showers for hours until someone heard their screams and freed them; they came out with pathetic faces, congested stomachs and chattering teeth. They were admitted to the hospital, which was just an exaggeration, and cried to everyone that Bea was trying to kill them for being popular. Officer Walker had already suspected her to be behind this ‘cruel’ act of self-fulfilling punishment and didn’t even second guess when he called the Aunt to pick up her niece from a holding cell.

What Bea didn’t know, was what they talked about in his office before she was released and called in.

“What did you just realize?” Key’s eyes grinned mischievously.

“Walker and my aunt talked before they told me. That guy knows nothing outside of town, there’s no way he would know about this place, I’m sure. But my aunt...she’s never lied to me before.” Bea confirmed.

“She wouldn’t send you off here without at least checking out the conditions of this school. Even I know she isn’t that cruel. Plus, it’s not like you can come here like a transfer student.”

“What do you mean?” she knitted her brows.

“I mean, someone is pulling strings in your favor.”

“. . .no riddles please.”

Key pointed a slim finger at her. “You’re here for a reason. I don’t know if it’s good or bad, but someone definitely wants you to be here.”

Bea had a feeling there is going to be a long story behind that assumption, or maybe her stomach was digesting the food.

Key sat back against the loveseat, putting his hands behind his head and crossing one leg over the other. If this were a photo session he would a perfect model bathing in the orange glow that was once pink and now more of an orange-yellow. She stayed quiet while pondering the possibilities. Her thoughts wandering to a vampire possessing Officer Walker and convincing her aunt that this school would cure a rebellious stage. Nah, that’s stupid. Then what’s the point of her being here? She’s no one special. No awesome talents or important relatives, hell she never even met a living relative except her aunt. How…not normal.

“Do you have any famous relatives?” she asked curiously.

“Don’t know.” Key closed his eyelids.

“Do your parents know about this school or were you sent here on purpose??”

“I lived with my grandma my whole life. She doesn’t know anything.”

That’s not what I asked.“Your parents-”

“They’re dead.”

“. . .” Oh. What can be said? Sorry for your loss? It’s kind of hard not to say, but Key didn’t say anything about her parents when she told him about the accident. Here goes her inquisitive mouth:

“What happened?”

Key opened his mouth then closed it. He to

Please log in to read the full chapter