Chapter 25

Nightingale (2008/2011)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Stupid pride got the best of our heroine. If you can call her that.

She summed up the lady balls --as a poor choice of words-- to leave the safety of her dorm, not that it could protect her to begin with. She chose not to change her wardrobe, her garments reflecting Jonghyun like a latter does a super villain. Her stomach held for the most part as she supported herself up against the elevator corner, trying to put as much distance between her and the pompous vampire.

Jonghyun didn’t even look her way or check to see if she followed him after sending a wink and leaving her bedroom. They stood in the small compartment now, waiting for the machine to drop down to Lobby level. Bea burned two almond shaped holes the back of Jonghyun’s blonde head. What could have ever possessed her to ignore the decision to flee?

Fight or Flight? Running away doesn’t always mean you’re a coward, but standing up to a bully doesn’t show bravery either. In fact, more likely than not its plain silly.

What was it that Kenny Roger’s preached about ‘O Yella? Sometimes you gotta fight when you’re a man.

The whirring of thick wires slowed down and Jonghyun finally acknowledged her, not with his eyes, but by throwing back a hand for her to take. Fighting against nothing, she moved her right hand to hover over his left. His fingers seemed to have sensed her closeness because they snapped up and captured her digits in his. . . warm ones?

He fed. Bea felt a prickly feeling dance up the base of her spine. She flinched when he tugged her forward and out. Their hands between them --and Bea a step behind him--Jonghyun took a better hold of her hand, bringing her close to him with a single yank.

She wanted to hit him for the warning—note the sarcasm kiddies—but put it aside. The only sounds coming from the Lobby were that of their heeled shoes clicking on polished marble. Mrs. Birch left the reception desk vacant and the dim lighting made the large space appear gloomy.

“Where is everyone?” she whispered unknowingly. Class. “Won’t we get in trouble if we’re caught?”

Only now does he first speak directly to her, “Not if they don’t catch us.” A hint of tease in his tone to boot.

Just the thought of being caught ditching sent an exciting spark aflame in Bea’s inner core. The familiar tingle that made her nerves jumpy and heart race was returning to her system after having slept. It like a switch, gradually transitioning into her alter ego, the one that often got her in trouble back home.

They stopped in the entrance of the dining hall, where Jonghyun released her hand and walked to the closest table. He picked something up and turned around with one packet in each hand and a devious hint of eye. He extended one arm in her direction, offering a full bag of blood. She looked at it, then to him, scrunching her nose.

“Take it; you’re going to need it where we’re going.”

“And where is it you’re taking me?” she took the blood packet by its corner and raised it in front of her face, examining its thick contents.

“Don’t worry about it.” Jonghyun averted from an answer and turned over his own, the sloshing making perturb gurgling noises.

Bea’s stomach churned. “Tch. I’m not going anywhere unless you tell me.”

“If I tell you then it wouldn’t be a surprise.” He raised the top of the packet to his mouth, taking the corner between his teeth.

A quick movement of head and disturbing resonance reached Bea’s ears. She wanted to turn away, but the sight of Jonghyun downing the thick liquid kept her in place. His adams apple bobbed with each gulp, the packet shriveled as he continued to vacuum with parted eyes. They were half-lidded, becoming glassy almost like he was intoxicating himself in pleasure. His tongue lapped excess from one corner to the other, his bottom lip going red with colour. As was the appendage that had been tainted.

“Is it that delicious?” she asked dryly when he finished. Taemin had the same shine in his eye when he drank. She curled her fingers around the coolness in her palm.

“Not even close.” He sighed heavily, tossing the empty container over his head. It landed on the table behind him.

Littering.

“At least throw it away.”

“Tch. What are you waiting for? Hurry up and drink it.”

“Um,” The blood packet suddenly felt heavy in Bea’s hand. She made a disgusted face. “I don’t drink these.”

“Not good enough for the princess, huh?”

“I didn’t say that. I’m just not hungry.” She offered the packet back to Jonghyun.

“I haven’t seen you during meal times. Who have you been ?” The unique blonde smirked like he knew something, taking it back and letting it fall to the table with a plop.

“Excuse me!? What the hell are you talking about?” Pretending to be insulted. Why was she getting the feeling that he meant something disgusting?

“It’s alright to admit it. I do it too. Can’

Please log in to read the full chapter