Chapter 20

Nightingale (2008/2011)
Please log in to read the full chapter

The machinery overheard whirred to a stop and the elevator doors slid open. The imprecise girl took a step forward with her head still bowed and flinched when the crown of her head bumped into something boney. Her neck tingled a little and she tried to reach one hand up to rub it, only to find that she couldn’t. The girl looked down to the side to see her wrist stuck between a fist. She knitted her brows and tugged. It didn’t let go.

The body blocking her way was that of Taemin. She looked at the back of his head with confusion and peered over his right forearm. Her eyes widened at the man standing just over the edge announcing floor and compartment.

“Hello students.”

HO.LEE.CRAP.

“Why aren’t you two in your respected rooms?” The studious man eyed Taemin’s stance curiously as if he were waiting for them. The warning of closing doors dinged and Taemin’s jaw bone visibly clenched when Teacher Kim stepped a foot forward so the sensory kept the doors from closing.

“I believe your room isn’t on this level, Taemin.” The man raised a wooden clipboard and waved it twice. A room checklist.

Bea ran her eyes over their homeroom instructor. His sculptured face really is surreal. Striking eyes shifted into an amused expression at the person peeking behind Taemin with midnight locks feathering down in great contrast to the blonde. He caught one dark eye for a moment before it disappeared from his vision.

Before she knew it Taemin’s back was in her path again with his cold fingers wound securely around her wrist. She stood straight without moving, the feeling in the pit of her stomach told her his sudden action could only mean he was on alert. She has to trust him, right?

“No sir, it isn’t.” Taemin voice came out surprisingly calm. “I will head to my room shortly after escorting my friend to her own.”

“How kind of you. You must be grateful, Evans.”

Bea stiffened and Taemin’s hold on her wrist felt tighter, though it loosened and he let go completely.

“Both of you step out of the elevator, other people might be waiting for it.”

Bea kept for head down and made little steps behind Taemin. Her stomach was telling her that something was wrong and the Guardian ahead would protect her somehow. He’s a teacher. She scolded herself as she found Taemin’s back again. She didn’t intend to hide behind him, it just happened.

“Evans, I need to see your face or you’ll be marked missing.”

Taemin aversely stepped to the side and nudged her back with the same hand that held her wrist. She took a deep breath and worked a content look on her face. She raised her head and gave Teacher Kim a false smile.

“Ah, there’s that pretty face.” She almost faltered when he smiled back showing teeth. Holy canines! He made a show of finding her name on the roster and checking it off. “You were the only student missing. You had me worried Evans.”

Teacher Kim turned his attention to Taemin. “It’s almost the curfew hour and I’d hate for one of our top students to get in trouble before the term has even started. You head off to your own room and I’ll your friend.”

Bea’s stomach did a little flip at the thought of Kim Jaejoong –gorgeous homeroom instructor—volunteering to walk her to her room. Negative thoughts started to bombard her mind almost immediately, both worrisome and inappropriate. She quickly pushed them out and shook her head, not feeling the way Taemin’s fingers curled lightly into her back.

The pride in her system acted for her. “Thanks but I can make it to my room on my own.”

“I insist.” The instructor dropped his clipboard wielding hand to his side and looked back to Taemin. “It’s almost cur

Please log in to read the full chapter