Chapter 2

It All Started With a Kiss

-Lunch Time-

“Ella, do you want to go to the ice cream shop after school?” Selina asks her best friend.

“Sure.” Ella smiles at her. “I was craving for some ice cream too.”

“Great!” Selina smiles at her best friend. “What about you, Hebe?”

Hebe shrugs her shoulders. “Sure, I can spare some time with you girls.”

“That is splendid!” Selina grins as she has something planned.

“Why are you so happy that we agreed to go to the ice cream shop? You never get this happy because of ice cream.” Hebe asks her best friend, suspiciously.

Ella nods her head. “Yeah, you said that eating a lot of ice cream can make you gain weight. So, why are you happy about going to the ice cream shop?”

Selina still have her grin on her face as she shakes her head indicating that she will not tell them anything.

“You don’t want us to force it out of you, do you?” This time Hebe has a mischievous grin.

“Uh-oh…” Selina widen her eyes in fear and takes a step back before they can lay their hands on her.

“Oh, no, you are not going anywhere.” Ella also grins as she takes a step forward to her best friend and begins to tickle her.

Selina tries to avoid her best friend’s fingers. However, she was out numbered with her other best friend decided to join in the scheme.

“Give it up.” Ella grins. “You’re out numbered.”

“That’s… haha… not… hahaha… fair.  Hahahahaha…” Selina laughs as she tries to protest.

“Not going to give up, eh?” Hebe raised one of her eyebrows as she began to think of other plan to make her give up.

“NEVER!” Selina shouts as she struggles to get out.

Hebe smirks and says, “Then you leave me no choice but to…” She slaps her , playfully.

“Ow!” Selina widen her eyes in shock. She did not expect Hebe to slap her .

Ella smirks at her best friend’s tactic. Therefore, she also slaps Selina’s , playfully.

“OW!” Selina cried louder toward her two abusive friends. However, before Hebe can lay another hand on her , she immediately runs away from them.

“Yah, come back here! You need to tell us what you are up to!” Hebe shouts as she chases after her.

Ella follows along as she allows Hebe do all the shouting.

“NEVER!” Selina shouts as she turns back to see how far her friends are.

While running away from her two best friends, she did not look where she is running too. Therefore, with a big impact, she falls on the cement ground, landing on her first.

“OUCH!” She cried as she rubs her . “Who the bumped into me?” She cursed, looking up at the person in front of her. “YOU…!” She points her finger at the second oldest member.

“Yah, you…!” He shouts back. “It is YOU who bumped into me!” He defends himself.

“Yeah, it was YOU who wasn’t looking and bumped into us.” The youngest member adds in as he defends .

Selina glares at them. “Nuh-uh… It is your ing friend who bumped into me first!”

“What the is going on here?” Ella asks, glaring at the other members in hatred.

“What the is she doing here?” The oldest member glares at her back.

“Girls, did you hear something?” Ella asks her best friends.

“No, what did you hear?” Hebe went along with her best friend.

“Funny, because I thought I just heard the dog bark.” Ella snickers.

Hebe laughs and says, “Yeah, I don’t hear anything besides three jackasses.”

“YAH!” The youngest member threatens her. “You girls are you going to regret it for calling us, jackasses.”

“Ohhh… I’m scared.” Hebe pretends to be scared by the thread. Then she rolls her eyes.

“ off, Aaron.” Selina growls in anger.

“Why should he off when you girls should off?” The second oldest member asks.

“Shut the up, monkey face.” Selina barks back. “I wasn’t talking to you.”

He scoffs. “Funny, because earlier YOU were talking to ME.” He emphasizes his words to make a point.

“Bugs off, Jiro…” Ella decides to stand up for her best friend.

“ off, tomboy!” The oldest member decides to join in the conversation also. He is not going to let his friends lose against three pathetic girls. “No one wants you here.”

“Yah, no one wasn’t talking to you either, Chun-tard!” Ella begins her name calling.

“What the ?” Chun looks at her, oddly. “What the is a Chun-tard?”

“Look it up, Chun-tard!” She sticks her tongue at him as she crosses her arms over her chest.

“Whatever, tomboy.” Chun rolls his eyes and continues, “Who acts like a ing four year-old.”

As the two group of young adults continue bicker at each other, on the other hand, the fan-boys and fan-girls all gathered around the group.

“Who is going to win this fight?” They all ask among each other in groups of two.

“Ella is so hot when she sticks out her tongue and crosses her arms over her chest like that. She is like a badass.” A fan-boy stares at her, dreamily.

“No, I think Hebe is much more of a badass.” Another fan-boy joins in.

“You guys are wrong. No one can beat the beauty of Princess Selina.” Another joins.

His two friends just roll their eyes. “No way! Princess Ella/Princess Hebe is waaaaaaaaaaay better!”

“No way!” The three young men bicker at each other to see who is better than whom.

     On the other side, the fan-girls are not even better than the fan-boys.

“I say Prince Chun is much more handsome!” A young woman argued.

“No way, Prince Aaron is!” Another young woman pointed out.

“Hell no! There is a reason why we also call him Ice Prince!” Another young woman objects.

“There is a reason to why Prince Chun is much, much, much, much more handsome than all of you.” A young woman says. “Don’t forget that he is known as Prince Charming.” She beams in happiness.

“No way, Jiro is much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, more handsome than the two princes.” Another young woman joins in.

Her two friends laugh at her. “Are you serious, Erika?”

Erika looks at them like she is confused. “What?”

“Jiro Wang has a face like a monkey and a personality like a joker.” One of her friends pointed out.

“So?”

“So, he is known as a JOKER instead of a PRINCE.” Her friends try to enlighten her.

“So, who cares if he is known as a joker? To me, he is still my prince.” She shrugs her shoulders.

“It’s hopeless…” Her two friends hit their forehead with their palm.

As you can see, the whole lunchtime was spent by two different groups of young adults bickering at each other on something pointless as this.

  -Afterschool-

The three young women walk along the busy streets as they keep each other company.

“Which ice cream shop are we going too?” Ella asks her best friend.

Selina smiles as she says, “We’re almost there. Relax.” She told them.

“Yah, you said that fifteen minutes ago.” Hebe complains as she drags her legs across the busy streets.

“Are you sure we are not lost, Selina?” Ella asks her as she looks around the busy streets.

“God, Ella… Are you doubting me?” Selina asks.

Ella bites on her low lip and slightly nods her head.

Selina groans as she saw that. “Just trust me! You girls don’t need to worry.”

“Then tell us why all of a sudden that you want to go to an ice cream shop?” Hebe demands.

“It is nothing.” Selina lied. “Can’t I just spend more quality time with my two best friends? I just came back from my trip, yah know.”

Her two best friends just roll their eyes as they have no choice but heave a sigh in defeat.

Selina has on a secretive grin on as she searches for this so call ice cream shop.

“Are we there yet?” Hebe asks.

“Yah, I thought you girls will be all hype up for ice cream.” Selina rolls her eyes.

“Yes, we would, but you killed our mood.” Ella explains.

“All we can think about is what the Selina is hiding from us. Why the does she wants to take us to an ice cream shop when all she cares about is HEALTHY eating?” Hebe adds in.

“Gosh, you make me sound like a health freak.” Selina rolls her eyes.

“THAT’S BECAUSE YOU ARE ONE!” They both shout at her.

“No, I’m not!” She pouts as she looks at a small shop in front of her. Then she beams in happiness and shouts, “WE’RE HERE!”

Her two best friends look at the small shop that her best friend just entered. “Tángguǒ diàn. (T/N: Sweet Shop)” They look at each other at the weird name for an ice cream shop.

“Wonder why the owner name the shop like it is a pastry shop.” Hebe wondered aloud.

“Well, let’s go in and check it out.” Ella says as she opens the door for her best friend to enter.

Hebe enters the shop, looking for her other friend.

“Over here, girls!” Selina waves her hand at her two best friends as she took a seat with other companies.

Hebe and Ella look at each other. They do not like this feeling at all. They slowly walk to the table and give the three unknown people a small smile.

“Selina, what is going on?” Ella hissed at her best friend as she takes a seat next to her.

“Okay, shall we begin?” Selina ignored her best friend. “I hope we didn’t keep you waiting.” She shyly added as she blushes at them.

“No, not at all.” An older man smiles back. “My friends and I just arrived also.”

“Oh…” Selina smiles back at him.

“Hi, my name is Mike He.” Mike He introduces himself to the three young women. He extends his arm out for a handshake.

Hebe just stares at him like is he crazy.

Ella slightly nudges her best friend. She signals her to accept the handshake to be polite.

Hebe frowns as she unwillingly accepts the handshake. “Hebe.” Then she immediately receives her hand back.

“The name is Jerry Huang.” The next man with blue eyes smiles at them. “What’s your name, bǎobèi?”

Ella stares at the man in front of her. ‘Why the is he calling baby for? Is he nuts? We barely meet each other.’ Ella just rudely stares at him as if he is insane to call a random person, baby.

Selina lets out a nervous laugh and says, “Please excuse my friend here. Her name is Ella Chen. She had a long day today. So, please don’t mind her.” Selina slightly pinched her for embarrassing her.

Ella slaps her best friend’s hand away and glares at her.

“The name is Dason Tang.” He winks at the young woman who sits in front of him.

Selina blushes.

“Shall we order our dessert?” Hebe and Ella ask, not liking the fact that they are not alone in the table.

Selina rolls her eyes. “Can’t you girls wait?” She hissed.

“Hell no!” Ella cries. “You said that we are going to have some ice cream. So, we want our ice cream now.”

Jerry laughs at her cute behavior. ‘She’s interesting. She sure is one of a kind.’

“What’s so funny?” Ella looks at him, well more like she is giving him her evil glare.

 Jerry smiles at her and says, “Cute.”

Immediately, she blushes. Never in her teenage years has anyone call “cute” since she outgrew the “cute” phrase and become the “tomboy”.

Mike coughs and asks the young woman in front of him. “What would you like to order? I can get it for you.” He slides the menu towards her.

Hebe ignores him and shares the menu with Ella. “Oh, so this place doesn’t only sell ice cream.” She mumbles as she saw that there are cakes, cupcakes, ice cream, and other sweet pastries on the menu.

“So the name of the shop does suit the place.” Ella nods in agreement.

“Obviously.” Hebe sighs.

“I still want ice cream since that’s what we came for.” Ella says as she scan the list of flavors under the ice cream category.

“Same here.” Hebe agrees.

Selina sighs as she is slightly embarrassed from her two best friends.

“What would you like, bǎobèi?” The man with blue eyes asks her.

“Come on, Ella.” Hebe grabs onto her arm and drags her to the front of the counter. “Please, excuse us.”

The two young women walk to the front of the counter to order their dessert.

“Ugh…” Hebe groans and says, “I can’t believe that she set us up!”

“I KNOW!” Ella shouts back. “I can’t believe it either. Who does she think she is to set us in a blind date?”

Hebe sighs. “I can’t believe her!”

“I KNOW!” Ella shouts back.

“I’m so mad at her!” Hebe cries.

Ella smirks as she has a plan. “Hey, I have a plan.”

Hebe smirks back. “What is it?”

“Good afternoon, ladies.” An elderly man walks toward the counter and greets his customers. “How may I help you?”

“Um…” Ella widens her eyes in shock as she did not expect someone to come up behind the counter. “I want a huge amount of chocolate ice cream, please.”

“A huge amount?” The elderly man asks. “How huge?”

“A big bucket.” Ella beams in happiness as she daydreams about her eating a huge bucket of chocolate ice cream.

 The elderly man looks at her as if she is insane. “Miss, I am sorry to say that I cannot give you a huge bucket of chocolate ice cream.”

Ella frowns and pouts.

“But I can give you a big bowl of chocolate sundae ice cream.” The owner of the shop continues. “And I’ll give you a suitable price for it.”

Immediately, the frown turns itself right up on Ella’s face. “Really, mister?”

The elderly man nods his head. “Of course, especially you remind me so much of my granddaughter.”

Ella frowns once again. “What happened?”

“She passed away due to her illness.”

“Oh…” She lowered her tone. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay.” Then he turns to Hebe. “And you miss?”

“I would like to have three scoops of strawberry sundae ice cream, please.”

“Okay.” He presses a couple of buttons on the cash register and says, “That will be ten dollars.”

“Really?” Ella asks as she doesn’t believe that it is so cheap for her ice cream.

The elderly man laughs and reminds her. “I did say that I’ll give you a suitable price for the bowl of ice cream.”

“Oh my god! THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!” Ella squeals in excitement.

The elderly man just gives her a heartily laugh in return.

Hebe pays for the ice cream as she drags her best friend away from the counter.

“Shall we start our plan?” Ella asks as they walk back to the table.

Hebe shrugs her shoulder as she doesn’t care. “Does it matter? We are gonna do it no matter what, right?”

Ella nods her head. “Right.”

“What took you girls so long?” Selina asks as she saw her two best friends approaching the table.

“Why is he sitting on my seat?” Ella asks, glaring at Selina.

“Um…” Selina hesitated. “Is it alright if you sit next to Jerry?”

Ella stares at her best friend like she is crazy. ‘YAH, I DO ING MIND THAT I AM SITTING NEXT TO A PLAYER! DO YOU HAVE ANY ING CLUE WITH WHAT HE CAN DO TO ME?’ She wanted to scream all that to her best friend. However, she kept it inside of her and slowly took her seat next to Jerry, unwillingly.

Hebe returns to her seat as she turns her attention to Selina. “Ahem.” She coughs.

“Yes?” Selina asks.

“Please tell me that this is not a triple date.” Hebe demands, even though she knew the answer already.

“Okay. It is not a triple date.” Selina replies.

“SELINA REN!” Hebe growls at her best friend.

“What? You said to tell you that this is not a triple date.” Selina acts innocent.

“Selina Ren!” This time Ella shouts at her.

“Okay, okay…” Selina tries to calm them down. “I’m sorry, alright.”

“Selina, why do you keep on doing this to us?” Hebe asks.

And this is where the plan begins…

“Yeah, aren’t you dating Show Luo?” Ella joins in.

“Yeah, poor guy.” Hebe slightly shakes her head. “I feel so sorry for him. His girlfriend is cheating on him.”

Selina’s jaw dropped in shock. “WHAT THE !” Now she is furious at her best friends. “How can you ing say that in front of others?”

“Well, he deserves to know the truth, isn’t that right?” Ella glares at Dason.

“Is this true?” Dason looks at Selina, seeking for an answer.

“Of course not!” Selina snaps back. “Show Luo is my ex-boyfriend.” She explains to him, glaring at her two best friends. “They are just making this story up because they do not want to be in a relationship.”

“Then why did you plan this up?” Jerry asks her.

“That’s because I want to do something for them.” Selina says. “Apparently, these two are too stubborn to comply with my plan.”

“You got that right.” Her two best friends cross their arms over their chest and nod their head, posing like badass women.

Selina sighs. “What is wrong about Mike and Jerry?” She asks them. “Aren’t they your type?”

Ella scoffs. “He’s fine. However, he’s a player.”

“Eh?” Jerry looks at her in surprise. “Excuse me, but I’m not a player. I take my relationship very serious.”

Ella rolls her eyes, not believing his words. “Then explain why did you call me, bǎobèi? We barely know each other.”

“Oh… Sorry, it is a habit that I have.” Jerry explains.

“You call that a habit.” Ella mumbles to herself. “It’s more like you’re hiding your true color.”

“So, it looks like we have started in a wrong path.” Dason nervously break the tension that was created earlier. “Why don’t we try again?”

“My name is Dason Tang. I am Selina’s boyfriend.” He smiles at his girlfriend’s two best friends.

Ella and Hebe both sigh in defeat. “Nice to meet you.” They both said together.

“My name is Jerry Huang. At this moment, I’m single. Also to make this clear, I am not a player.” He gives Ella a smile.

“Mike He. I love rock music.” Mike did not know what to say. As a result, he just told them his interest in music.

“Really?” Hebe perked up at the mention of rock music.

Mike nods his head. “I have a whole collection of crock (A/n: Chinese rock. Not sure if there are Chinese rock out there. But I think there is… just that I don’t listen to it haha.)

“Really… Who do you like?” Hebe asks as it has got her full attention on the man.

Mike smiles brightly at her as he is happy to know that they have something in common. “Um… I like Andy in Paradose. (A/N: This is a made up band and name. I do not listen to Chinese rock or know if it is there is some.)

“Really…?” Hebe says. “You like the guitarist.”

Mike nods his head. “Yeah…”

“I like the vocalist, Zhou Huo.” Hebe says as she leans in forward to the man.

Mike laughs. “Yeah, it seems like most girls would.”

Hebe blushes. “But I also like Andy too.”

“Cool.” Mike beams.

“What song do you like?” Hebe asks. “Wait… Let’s shout out the answer at the same time.”

“Okay.” Mike shrugs his shoulder as he is amazed by the young woman’s behavior.

“And 3…”

“Broken Heart.” They both said at the same time.

“No way…” Then they begin to laugh at each other’s reaction.

Hebe gets up from her chair and places the chair next to Mike. “You don’t mind right?”

Mike was surprise by her action. However, he shook his head and said, “No, not at all.”

“Want to listen to the music?” Hebe asks, giving him one of her earpiece.

Mike took the small gadget from her fingers and places it in his ear as he waits for the hard blasting beats through the small gadget.

“Sweet…” Selina silently cheers to herself. “One down, one more to go.”

Dason just chuckle. “My lovely matchmaker.” Then he gives her a peck on the lips.

However, the simple light peck becomes a deep and passionate kiss.

“How long were they going out for?” Ella looks at her friend in disgusted as she witness how one simple kiss leads to another.

All of a sudden, she heard a chuckle beside her. She looks at the man beside her. “What’s so funny?”

“You.”

“Me?”

Jerry nods his head. “Yeah, you are so cute. You make me want to keep you all to myself.”

Ella blushes at the confession.

“Awe… How cute! You’re red!”

Ella gets redder and redder as Jerry teases her some more.

“Yes!” Selina squeaks. “Mission accomplished!”

Dason just shakes his head and kisses his girlfriend once again. “My mischievous matchmaker.”