Chapter 4

It All Started With a Kiss

Ella and Hebe have reached to their neighborhood to see a lot of people surrounding Ella’s house.

“Ella, what is going on?” Hebe asks her best friend.

“I don’t know, but we should check it out.” Ella drags Hebe along with her as she walks toward her house.

“Ella, look!” Hebe points to a damage house.

“My house…!” Ella runs toward her house to see the whole house collapsed.

“Ella!” Her parents call for their daughter’s attention.

“Ma, pa, what happened!” Ella cried starring at the damage house.

“I don’t know, sweetheart.” Her mother replied. “We just saw it on the news.”

“Is the things alright?” Hebe asks them.

“Yes, the things are safe. However, most part of the house is destroyed.” Mr. Chen replies. “The firemen and policemen told us that it will need several months to fix the damage. Therefore, we are unable to stay here until they can fix the damage.”

“Where’s Calvin ge?” Ella looks around for her older brother.

“We told him to stay with Genie until we are settled.” Her father says.

“Where are we going to stay?” She asks.

“In the meantime, we will just stay in the office.” Mr. Chen says.

“But that’s so far from school!” Ella complains.

“Hebe, can Ella stay with you?” Mrs. Chen asks.

Hebe nods her head. “I don’t mind, but it is very crowded in my house.”

“Ma, we cannot bother her and her families.” Ella says.

“Then what do you want to do, sweetie?” Her father asks. “We have nowhere to go.”

Then all of a sudden, an elder couple walks up to the family.

“Why not stay at our house, old friend?” The man asks.

Mr. Chen turns around to see his best friend, Vanness Wu and his wife, Charlene Choi Wu.

Mrs. Chen also turns around to see her best friend and smile. “Charlene, how’d you know about this?”

“Girl, you were on the news. So, I immediately call Van and told him about it. Now, we are here to rescue you.” Charlene says.

“Awe, thanks…”

“Ella, who are they?” Hebe whispers to her best friend. “They look very fashionable.”

Ella shakes her head. “I don’t know. I have not seen them before.”

Hebe looks at her best friend. “Are you sure? Your parents seem to be very close to them.”

“I don’t know actually. I might have met them once when I was little.” Ella bites onto her lips as she tries to remember where she met the couple.

“Oh my, is this Ella?” The elderly woman stands in front of Ella with a huge smile. “She has grown to a beautiful young woman.”

Ella bows down to the elderly woman with respect.

“Oh my, she’s so polite.” Charlene smile gets wider and wider.

“C’mon, I think we should continue the conversation at my house.” Vanness suggested.

Hebe turns to look at her best friend. “Are you sure, you don’t want to come?”

Ella nods her head. “Yeah, I don’t want to be a burden. You have a huge family that you need to take care of.”

Hebe sighs and nods her head. “Okay, don’t forget to call me when you arrive there.”

“I will.” Ella gives her a hug. “Bye.”

“Bye.” Hebe waves goodbye. “Bye, pa and ma Chen.”

“Bye Hebe.” The two adults bid their goodbye to their daughter’s best friend.

“Let’s go now.” Vanness helps their friends with the luggage.

“Wait! I didn’t pack my stuff yet.” Ella says.

“We have packed everything for you already.” Her parents say. “But there are some things we cannot keep any longer.”

“Oh…” Ella nods her head and walks behind her parents and the Wu’s.