CHAPTER 12

Kiss the Rain

“Sandara wake up!”

Huh? Grandma? Sandara’s eyes flutter open. Darkness is all she sees. Her heart pounds frantically. I can’t see anything!

“Grandma!” She thrashes her arms around the bed. Her right hand hits a metal bar. A gentle hand squeezes her wrist. She calms down. Slowly her vision returns. Currently dazed she squints her eyes to the people around her in the room.

Sandara’s grandmother kisses her hand, “You scared me, baby girl. I thought you weren’t going to wake up.” She leans over the bed rail and plants a kiss on her forehead.

What’s going on? Where am I? Sandara tries to sit up but her body won’t cooperate. Two nurses brush by her grandmother to keep her down. Sandara’s eyes scan the room. Where’s Bommie unnie? What happened? The only people in the room she recognizes are her grandparents.

“What happened?”

Her grandfather wraps his arm around her grandmother, “You’ve been missing for a week. Mr. Lee was supposed to keep an eye on you. But you…” He trails off.

“I’m sorry! It wasn’t his fault. Please don’t fire him!” Sandara’s eyes tears up.

Mr. Park cracks a smile then looks at his wife, “Hmm…” Mrs. Park knew what he was thinking. She steps closer to her bed.

“How are you feeling?”

“I feel guilty…I’m sorry Grandma…I’m sorry Grandpa….” Sandara turns her head away from her grandparents. A tear escapes her eye. Her grandma turns her head back to her and wipes her tears away.

“Sandara, we didn’t fire him even though we should have because Mr. Lee and your sister didn’t call us when you’d gone missing. We only found out yesterday.”

“Oh yeah, you guys were on your business trip.” Sandara quietly says to herself.

Her grandmother raises a brow. She’s aware of her surroundings. She’s not in her closed mind zombie-like state? This is good. I believe she has overcome her depression on her brother Sang Hyun. She squeezes her husband’s hand and smiles at Sandara, “Sandara?”

“Mhm. Yes Grandma?”

“Please tell us what’s on your mind and how are you feeling?”

“I’m confused and also thirsty.” She giggles.

That laugh! Our charming Sandy… Sandara’s grandmother buries her face into her husband’s chest. She tries to hide her tears of joy from Sandara. 

“Grandma!” Sandara sits herself up. “Are you crying? Please don’t cry. I’m really sorry for making our whole family sad. I’m okay now. I don’t blame myself anymore. Sang Hyun’s love protected me from harm and I shouldn’t be guilty over his death because he wouldn’t like that. Again I’m very sorry.”

Her grandmother turns around and wraps her arms around Sandara. She plants a million kisses all over her face and head. Her grandfather chuckles watching what his wife was doing. He holds Sandara’s hand and smiles at her. Sandara smiles back. “I love you Grandpa…I love you Grandma…”

Mrs. Park plants one last kiss on her cheek, “I’m glad you’re okay now. You’re parents will be thrilled to hear this good news.”

“I guess you’re fever helped you realize that it wasn’t your fault what happened to Sang Hyun.” Her grandfather teases, earning him a pinch in the arm from his wife.

“You’re grandfather was only joking, baby girl. But you really did scare us with your high fever. I’m still mad at Bom for not telling us right away that you were missing for ONE WHOLE WEEK! For crying out loud we’re old and hearing that news almost gave us a heart attack.”

“Grandma calm down.” Sandara squeezes her hand. Something clicked in her head. One week? I wasn’t gone for a week. I came home in the middle of the week. What is she talking about?

Her grandparents saw her confusion. They both looked at each other. Her grandfather spoke, “You don’t remember? We wanted to ask you where you went. But of course we knew you wouldn’t really remember because you’re parents mentioned to us how you were before when you go missing.”

Oh yeah, I really don’t remember what I used to do before. All I know is that I was swallowed up into the darkness of misery. But I do remember what happened a few days ago. I woke up and saw the light of joy and happiness all thanks to…wait. Was it all a dream? Where’s Bommie? I need to talk to her.

“Sandara? Baby girl? What’s wrong? Did someone hurt you during the week you were gone? Tell us and we’ll get those people.” Sandara’s grandmother gently touches her cheek.

She shook her head, “No, Grandma. Nothing bad happened to me. I really am thirsty. Can I have some water?” The two nurses exits the room leaving them alone. Sandara lays her head back on the pillow.

“Grandpa, who found me?”

“Mr. Lee found you on the side of the road drenched wet from the rain. He searched for you every day since you’d gone missing.”

No, it can’t be. I know who found me. I know it wasn’t Mr. Lee. “Where’s Bommie unnie?”

"She’s in the waiting room area with Mr. Lee. We’re sending her back to Maryland.” Her grandmother pushes a loose strand away from Sandara’s face.

Sandara’s eyes widen, “WHY?! She can’t leave me!!!”

“It was your parents’ decision for us to send her back. She made a promise to your parents that she would take care of you. But after this incident they don’t think it’s a good idea for her to continue watching over you. They believe it made things worst with your situation. One week missing was the longest incident of your runaways.” She gently Sandara’s hair.

“Grandma! Grandpa!” Sandara yells and sits up again. “Please don’t send her away. PLEASE! I want to talk to my parents. I’m better now…Bommie can’t leave me! She can’t leave! I need to talk to my parents. PLEASE GRANDMA! GRANDPA!”

Her grandfather rushes to the other side of the bed and pushes a button. The two nurses return and also a doctor. They inject a sedation into her I.V. Sandara’s eyes becomes heavy. They gently lay her back down on the bed.

I’m okay…I’m ME again. Bommie can’t leave me…I love my sister. Sandara’s eyes slowly closes. She whispers, “Where’s Seung Hyun?”







-------------------------------------------------






“Oppa!”

Chaerin runs up to her brother who’s standing alone in the garden. She shields him from the rain with her black umbrella. He’s soak and wet. It’s dark. She can’t really see his face. The light illuminating from their home is too far from them. My gosh! How long has he been standing out here? “You’re going to get sick. Let’s go back inside.”

Seung Hyun stares blankly at the trees a few feet away from them. Chaerin stares at the direction where he’s looking at. She doesn’t understand why he’s out here staring at these trees. She waits. After fifteen minutes Seung Hyun lets out a deep sigh and turns on his heels towards their home, “Let’s go.”