A Trip To the Market

What I Call Hell

She came home with an empty stomach. By the time she stepped foot in the house, Ren came rushing to her. She struggled while trying to take off her shoes and socks. She then walked to the living room and tossed her bag on the couch. Ren just followed her with puppy eyes. She was too tired as she lay down on the couch and sighed in content.

Ren sat on the floor next to the couch and looked at her. She couldn't take it anymore, "Why are you acting like a puppy that follows people around, unnie?" she said emotionless with her eyes still closed.

Just then JR and Aron came down the stairs with snacks in their mouth.

"Hae Ri ah, I'm hungry," Ren came clean.

"You're always hungry," she slapped the air.

"But I'm soo hungry right now," Ren pouted.

"So am I," she replied.

"Please! I'm hungry!" he clasps his hands together and begged.

"This house has a kitchen. The kitchen has the refrigerator. The refrigerator has food. Go cook something," she said as she turned to the other of the couch.

"Why are you like this?" Ren pouted and shook her.

"I'm tired!" she yelled.

"Just go buy the food, okay? Then I'll cook!!" he flailed his arms in the air. JR chuckled and sat down at one of the couches. Aron came and sat on JR who then got pushed to the floor, "Ow!" Aron hissed.

"Please please please!" he begged then got up and sat on her. Her eyes widened. He's light for a guy, but wait. He's..

"YAH GET OFF OF ME YOU HEAVY GIRL YOU," Hae Ri struggled as she tried pushing him off of her.

God, this looks so wrong, she thought.

"Food food food! Buy buy buy!" Ren wiggled himself.

"Aish okay! I'll go" she gave up.

JR looked at Hae Ri, "I'm coming with you" he said defensively.

"Why?" Ren blinked innocently.

"I said I'm coming with her, so why are you questioning me?" JR gave him a look. Ren smiled sheepishly and nodded. Aron nibbled down at his chocolate.

Hae Ri rolled her eyes and got up. She took her money from her bag and wore her shoes.  JR smirked giddily and followed her out the door. They left the house and walked to the shop. It was kind of an awkward moment for JR since he had never walked with a girl or even came by one. It was rare for him to be near girls but this rare moment had a nice feeling to it.

Hae Ri kept on humming a song that it bugged JR. His eyebrows kept cringing everytime he heard an odd note. He looked at her who was smiling and skipping. In his mind he thought, why does she look so happy? Did something happen?

A few minutes later, they had arrived at the market. Many people were busy rushing here and there to get the items needed. She took a basket and carried along. Hae Ri looked around for Ramyun or possibly some already made Kimchi. They walked to the Ramyun idle as there were many varieties to choose from. A smile curved on Hae Ri's lips as she was pleased of how easy it was to find it.

"Hmm," she tapped her lips and looked up and down the shelves. She looked up at JR and said, "What type do you want?" JR looked at the Ramyuns and shrugged. She shook her head, "Not helping at all" she mumbled.

She sighed and just took a beef flavoured ramyun and a spicy one. She put it into her basket and hummed once again. They moved along to the next idle, the seafood area. Fishes were stocked in align at one side of the area while the prawns were available at the centre of the area. Octopuses, crabs and Shark meats were at the other side. Hae Ri walked to the fishmonger, "Ahjusshi, how much for 2 kilograms?"

The fishmonger replied, "5500 won, agashi" he said with a smile.

She smiled back and told him she would like 2 kilograms. Suddenly, JR saw a person running towards them. His eyes widened and automatically pulled Hae Ri away. "What the-" JR protectively pushes her behind him while his eyes were still locked on that person.

"Ah ahjusshi! I forgot to take my fish!" the person said. JR titled his head, he had thought that the person was one of Dae Ho's. 

"Aish, why'd you push me?! Now I got my school shirt stained!" she groaned as he looked at her and shrugged. She took a tissue from her purse and wiped the stain eventhough she knew that the stain won't go off. After the fishmonger finished weighing the fish, he rapped it with plastic and gave it to Hae Ri.

"Kamsahimnida," Hae Ri smiled and bowed. Then they both walked to the cereal idle. Ren unnie would love some cereal in the morning. That is...if he ever wakes up, she thought. While she was busy thinking of what type of cereal to buy, JR was keeping an eye out for one of Dae Ho's men. Of course he didn't know who but it was safe to keep a look out.

A lady was busy picking a type of cereal as well but even so, JR stood behind Hae Ri who was facing the shelf and kept an eye on the lady. Then Hae Ri turned around and walked to a worker near by with a cereal box in her hand, "Uh, excuse me? But hasn't this expired? Why is it still being sold?" she asked. JR rushed towards her and protective held out his hand infront of her. She furrowed her eye brows at him, "Oh yes, I'm sorry. I'll talk to one of the workers about this" the worker said as she walked off.

"Yah, what wrong with you? You pushed me just now and now.. what are you doing?" Hae Ri curiously looked at him.

"Ah" he scratched his head, "Just finish with your shopping" he cleared his throat as he cooly folded his arms.

"Grocery shopping" she corrected him.

"Whatever" he replied.

It took about half an hour to finish grocery shopping. They went home with full bags in their hands. Ren cheerfully helped and brought the food to the kitchen. "Yay, Hae Ri's the best!" he cheered. She chuckled and waited for Ren to cook.

"I hope you don't poison me with your cooking, unnie" she chuckled as he laughed along.