The New Music Teacher

GTae and TopFany Oneshot/Drabbles Collection [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My name is Tiffany Hwang and I’m an English teacher at a junior high school in Seoul which will remain anonymous throughout the story. But what I can tell you about the school that I’m currently stationed at is one of the top 1% school in the whole city for students that’s either very intelligent or in most cases, the students here come from many of the richest of the rich families. As you can tell by my name, I come from Los Angeles, California which gets you wondering: How did a Valley Girl such as myself ended up halfway across the world in a country that’s very different from where I’m originally from? The answer to that question is because I want to go to where my parents are originally from. Both of my parents were born and raised in Korea and then emigrated to the States because they want to study there. Turns out, it was decision that they’ve ever made because little did, they know fate would intervene because they actually got accepted into the same university, only different majors. So, that’s how they first met and a few years later after they graduated, I finally come into this world.

 

But you didn’t come to this story just to watch me talk about my parents love story, right? You came here to read about my story. So, here is my story.

 

 

TEACHER’S ROOM

AUGUST 5TH 2013

 

After teaching for almost an entire day, I’m now currently reviewing the student’s homework on my desk. “(Chuckles) That’s a very nice stack of homework’s you got there, boo.” Someone said to me from right behind my back and of course, I recognized that voice and that laugh. “The same can be said to you, Tae.” I said while still looking at one of the homework. You guys can probably tell based on the description that I gave you above, right? The fellow teacher who I considered to be my best friend in the whole wide world that first approached me when I first set foot on this institution 4 years ago is none other than Kim Taeyeon who back then was also just recently graduated from college and somehow got accepted to teach here around the same time that I first set foot on this country. And for the subject that Taeyeon is teaching here is about history because she loves history since she was a kid. She told me that she chose history because the younger generations must know their country’s history, whether it’s the good parts or the worst parts which made me respect her more as a teacher.

 

I got accepted to be the school English teacher mostly because I’m actually the only Korean-American teacher here while the other fellow English teachers here mostly graduated from either local universities or sometimes even abroad. You know how the Korean drama portray these type of schools as having flower boys/girls that constantly rebels against their teachers, right? Thankfully, the school promotes the saying: “Work Hard, Play Hard” literally because even though the students must be rich in knowledge, they have to be rich at socializing and having fun with their friends. There is literally not a single “worst class” in this school because the teachers and students all treat each other like family in which makes teaching here even more fun. The school also has a three-strike system for misbehaving students, and if they get three strikes, then they’re kicked out. Good thing, the total number of misbehaving students who got kicked out of the school since I first started working here 4 years is almost one-to-zero. It means that all the students are the best of the best in many categories, especially the good behavior category.

 

TF: So, what are you doing after work?

TY: Sleep.

TF: You’re such a ing bore, you know that.

TY: Home is the best place in the world. Boo.

TF: Is it because there’s someone waiting for you, huh?

TY: I don’t get how you being the loudest is still a single woman.

TF: I got hundreds of kids to take care of, Tae.

TY: So, you’re saying that I only care about Jiyong, huh?

TF: I guess being with the Dragon makes you very lovesick, huh?

TY: You just had your 24th birthday and you’re still single. Do you want alone for the rest of your life?

TF: Are you going to set me up? You can’t even talk properly without my help, Tae.

TY: you, . I can talk just fine.

TF: Admit it, Tae. Without me helping you, you wouldn’t be able to have Jiyong oppa as your man.

TY: Ugh, fine. I’m thankful for that even though you literally have to blackmail me for it.

TF: Because you’re so easy to read, Tae.

TY: Tell me again, why did I thought it was good idea back then to approach you during our job interview here?

TF: Because I’m made in USA.

TY: Yeah, yeah, yeah. American girl bull, whatever.

 

Suddenly, we heard the door to the teacher’s room being opened before the headmaster steps inside the room. “Attention, everyone. I would like to talk with you all.” He said which made all the teachers immediately went into soldier mode and gathered in front of him, including me and Taeyeon. Then, we heard him chuckle because of how silly we look before saying “Yah, I’m not a ing drill sergeant, guys. I’m a school principal.” Which made us all laugh in embarrassment at how we gathered in the first place. “Alright, alright. That’s enough, everyone. Anyway, I have something to tell you guys.” He said before taking a pause which made all of us listened attentively. “As you all know, just a few days ago. Our longtime music teacher Mrs. Hong has just recently retired after teaching for more than 20 years, and I know how much she means to you guys, and as much as it’s sad to see her leave, don’t worry about it because she knows how much she loves coming here every day to teach her countless students in the world of music.” He said with teary eyes and trying to say the words properly without breaking his intonation, and I can see all the other fellow teachers are struggling to not burst into tears. Not going to lie, though. Mrs. Hong always take care of us because she sees us as her own family member instead of just co-workers. Even when me and Taeyeon first got accepted here, she approaches first and told us to not think of her as a senior teacher, and instead always think of her as like our own mother which made me very happy and sad at the same time because I lost my mother at a very young age thanks to humanity’s greatest unseen and silent serial killer, Cancer. So, when I first found out that she was retiring a few days ago made me immediately went up to her and hugged her like I never hugged someone before while crying like a baby who didn’t get their milk. I still remember her words to me which was “It’s okay, sweetheart. I know that it’s hard, but it’s part of life, Tiff. Sometimes we just have to let go.” I will forever remember her advice and use it as my motto.

 

“But the good news is we already recruited someone else to take her now vacant position. I know that probably everyone here will hate this new addition at first, but please don’t go too hard on the new recruit, okay? Anyway, I’m going to stop talking now and introduce our new addition to the team. You can come out now, recruit.” The headmaster said and we immediately divert our eyes towards the still closed door that leads outside the teacher’s room which was then opened wide until it reaches the limit. If you’re here right now with me in the room, it would’ve looked like it’s a dramatic character entrance scene straight from the movies/drama. Then, a ray of light shines through the entire room which made us have to shield our eyes because of how bright the light is. Suddenly, something or rather someone blocks the very bright light before slowly walking dramatically towards the direction of the teacher’s room and as soon as he finally revealed himself to us, I could’ve sworn my lungs and heart stopped working for just a millisecond. Because what I saw was totally out of this world.

 

Standing in front of the doorway was a very well-dressed man with a face that which either belongs to the devil or the angel, he’s wearing a full black suit with a blue shirt underneath because the suit jacket has only two buttons on it which definitely exudes CEO vibe with this look. He has a slicked-back hair and sharp features which includes a jaw that could probably cut you in half by just coming into contact with it. “You can take off your glasses now, newbie.” I heard the headmaster said to him which he immediately obliges, and proceeds to take off his sunglasses before putting it in his pocket. He was closing his eyes after taking his sunglasses off, but not for long because as soon as his eyelids flutters open to reveal the window into the soul, my right hand unconsciously went onto my chest because once he revealed those eyes, all the female teachers in the room could be heard squealing in joy at how gorgeous he actually is. How the is this ing new guy a teacher? Someone please help me understand, because that guy should be either a singer or an actor due to how handsome and gorgeous, he is.

 

“Everyone, I would you all to meet our newest addition to the team who will be taking over Mrs. Hong old position, Choi Seunghyun.” Our headmaster said proudly said to us. “Mr. Choi, would you like to introduce yourself to us?” The headmaster asked Mr. Choi and he immediately nodded in agreement before taking a few steps towards the center of the room, then he starting bowing 90 degrees in every direction which is very polite of him. He then cleared his throat for a moment, and every teacher in the room leaned in to hear how his voice would sound like. “Hello everyone, my name is Choi Seunghyun.” He said to the entire room which made me almost swear loudly because he has a very deep voice that’s probably deeper than Mariana Trench, and I could definitely hear all my fellow female teacher including my best friend who already has a boyfriend herself trying not to squeal loudly because of his deep- voice.

 

Then, suddenly we heard him chuckle loudly probably because of our reaction to his voice before then continuing with his speech. “I look forward to teaching here with my fellow teachers, please take care of me.” He said before giving our principal a nod to let him know that he’s finished his speech. But, instead of acknowledging him, our principal proceeds to say “Come on, Seunghyun-ah. That’s too short for an introduction, kid. How about you show everyone here your music talent?” which made him laugh in embarrassment “No, sir. That would be very rude of me.” me, even his laugh sounds too pleasing to be heard. “Don’t worry, kid. We’re very different from your old place. So, I’m afraid I must insist.” Our headmaster said to him sweetly but at the same time threatening tone. “Ok, then. Since you’re being very persistent, I’ll show my talents.” He said awkwardly since probably he was scared that he didn’t want to make our principal disappointed. Then, he proceeded to clear his throat again before finally revealing his talent in front of all the teacher.

 

Hey, hey, hey, hey

A day without you

becomes a long day and a long night

Every day if it seems like nothing,

I’m unable to do anything

If a hand is out, I would grab it for you

Even today, I wrote the three letters of your name

Without knowing, I grabbed a worn-out pencil

I always enjoyed

singing those lyrics with you

From now on, I will hide for a moment in my pain

Perhaps my memory will draw out in white

Trace out the love of what was a drama to me

Where are you now, even like this, it has become tiresome

Surely, with great stubbornness,

I might not be able to do it again

This time I won’t let go

To be forever you and I You & I

grabbing both hands

Just, we belong together

 

WHAT THE ACTUAL DID I JUST HEAR?! THE ING NEW MUSIC TEACHER IS A ING RAPPER!!!

 

He’s handsome, he’s very tall, he has a very deep voice, and to make it even better or worse for my sanity, he’s a ing rapper. How the did our principal find this ing guy in the first place? Where the actual did, he come from? He who has the face and body of an angel while having a voice that’s probably came from depths of hell. Someone please explains this to me. Anyway, after this guy just did the most outrageous thing ever, he suddenly went from having a cool image back to his shy mode like somehow this guy has another personality like how singers have their two sides to them, the singer personality and the real personality. That’s it, man. From now on, I don’t think I can believe everything that’s from this world. “Mr. Choi’s desk will be on the spot where Mrs. Hong used to work in, which is right next to our Valley Girl English teacher, Tiffany.” The headmaster addresses him the desk that he’s going sit in, and I could’ve sworn I was about to let out a scream of happiness because he’s going to sit right next to me which was only separated by a office cube wall, but then I remember that I don’t want to end up embarrassing myself in front of everybody. “So, yeah. You can go back to whatever you’re doing just now. I’m going to go make myself some espresso.” He said to us before finally excuses himself out of the teacher’s room.

 

TY: Looks like someone’s can’t keep her eyes out of our new “Rapping” teacher.

TF: W-Who s-said I-I w-was l-looking a-at S-Seunghyun-ssi.

TY: I didn’t say it was S-Seunghyun o-oppa.

TF: W-Wait, y-you know t-this g-guy?

TY: He’s Jiyong’s best friend, and sometimes he frequently comes over to the house and play with him. So, that’s why I call him Oppa because he’s like my big bro.

TF: WHY THE DIDN’T YOU TELL ME ABOUT THIS , TAE?! I THOUGHT WE WERE BEST FRIENDS.

TY: Because you didn’t ask me, duh. You can ask him yourself, boo.

TF: D-Don’t t-tell m-me he’s right behind me, please.

TY: Hi, oppa. My best friend and I were just talking about you. I’m going to go get some lunch. I’ll leave you two alone now.

TF: What the , Tae? Don’t leave me like this.

TY: Sorry, boo. Looks like you’re in deep with him now.

TF: Damn you, Tae.

TY: Good luck talking to him, Tiff. Oh, and Seunghyun oppa, go easy on my bestie, she’s still in shock.

TF: Get the out of here already, dammit.

 

So, Taeyeon left the room which leaves me all alone with the new teacher. me, right? And of course, it was just pure awkwardness in the air after my best friend basically left me for dead with the handsome new music teacher.

 

SH: Umm, hi.

TF: H-Hi.

SH: Since we’re still practically strangers, why don’t we introduce ourselves to each other?

TF: That’s a good idea.

SH: I’ll go first. Hello, my name is Choi Seunghyun and I’m the new music teacher in this school.

TF: Hello, my name is Tiffany Hwang and I’m an English teacher.

SH: Nice to meet you, Tiffany-sshi.

TF: Nice to meet you too, Seunghyun-ssi.

SH: Alright, then. Since we’re both still awkward, why don’t we ask each other basic questions to break the ice?

TF: Sounds good, Seunghyun-ssi.

SH: Me first. Where are you from?

TF: I’m from California.

SH: So, that’s why you have an English name, huh?

TF: Well, I actually a Korean name, but I prefer to be called by my English name.

SH: What is it?

TF: I-I’m too embarrassed to even say it myself.

SH: S-Sorry, I didn’t mean to offend you.

TF: None taken, Seunghyun-ssi. You were just curious.

SH: Oh, yeah. Now it’s your turn to ask me a question.

TF: Are you a rapper?

SH: No, I just love listening to Hip-Hop since I was a kid.

TF: I thought that for a second, you were hiding your true identity as a rapper, so you disguise yourself as a teacher.

SH: I wish I was a ra

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter