YunJae Writing Competition!

YunJae Writing Competition!
Title: Free Falling
 
Pairing: YunJae
 
Author: SuperBlue
 
Length: One-Shot
~-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ~
 

JaeJoong knows something isn't right. He's known for a few months now because it's a feeling that nags in the bottom of his stomach. He only feels it when he looks at Yunho.

 

Slowly and almost unknowingly, he has been watching Yunho break to pieces. First his smile disappears. Next his eyes lose that distinct shine. And then he stops speaking things that make sense. It's all slipping away and JaeJoong has no way of holding on.

 

"Yunho?" It's sometime past midnight when JaeJoong wakes up and finds the opposite side of the bed cold and empty. He sits up and looks around the large room, eyes focusing on the figure of his lover near the window. No shirt and barefoot, he's gazing out the window, mumbling to himself. JaeJoong wonders for a moment if Yunho is actually here or not.

 

"Yunho, baby?" He tries again, this time getting out of bed to take careful steps towards Yunho. Yunho pauses his mumbling only to start again while pressing his hand to the window.

 

"Tomorrow, tomorrow. We will show them tomorrow. N-now, now, now..." He trails off, blinking fast and shaking. JaeJoong would have liked to say he wasn't scared, but he would be lying. He had never seen Yunho like this.

 

"Yunho, sweetie come back to bed. It's late and-" He's cut off when Yunho let's out a bloodcurdling scream and drops to the floor. JaeJoong falls to his knees next to him, trying to calm him, but only making things worse. Yunho yells louder and louder, fingers clawing at JaeJoong's shirt. By now the others have burst into the room, panicked and clothes rumpled with sleep.

 

"Hyung, what's going on?" Changmin is the first one on his knees next to JaeJoong. Yunho isn't screaming anymore, but his sobs are still loud and hammered his body with shakes.

 

"I-I don't know. H-h-he's sick and I don't know why. Please help him." Arms wrap around his waist and pull him to his feet and he can here Junsu's voice in the background as he calls their private doctor. Changmin is pulling a sleeping Yunho back into bed as Yoochun holds JaeJoong tight in his arms.

 

"He'll be okay hyung. I know he will."  JaeJoong wants to believe him, but that nagging feeling returns and he knows that Yunho won't he okay again and neither will he.

 

...

 

"It's a progressive disease. It will appear much like he's losing his mind for a while, but it will be something you will get used to." They stare at the doctor in disbelief. How do you get used to someone losing their mind? JaeJoong turns on his chair and looks through the plexiglass of Yunho's hospital room. He's laying in bed smiling at the ceiling and talking to himself or maybe someone.

 

"Will he ever recover?" Yoochun asks for the sake of being hopeful, but the doctor just takes of his glasses and sighs.

 

"There could be a chance that he does, but it is very unlikely. All we can do is hope for the best." Changmin asks about the other symptoms of the disorder and JaeJoong only half listens when the doctors talks about how Yunho may lose his memory if them and return to a child's state of mind. He closed his eyes and leaned back. The nagging feeling was settling into a constant pushing against his chest almost as if his heart rate was decreasing.

 

'No more.' It's a wish, a hope or maybe a prayer. He doesn't know, except for he wants to open his eyes and let all this be just a dream.

 

...

 

JaeJoong forces a smile on his face as he settles down on the little stool next to Yunho's bed. Yunho looks about four years younger with wide eyes and disheveled hair.

 

It's been six months since Yunho's first episode that landed him in the hospital. There's a new test being performed on him everyday with no progress of finding of why this is happening. None of them know why a man his age ended up with a disorder that most are born with. All they know is that one day it will be so bad that Yunho won't be able to speak and his brain will shut down. The thought has burned itself into JaeJoong's heart and mind to the point where he can do nothing but cry when he leaves Yunho after a visit.

 

"You're number two, two, two. Kim JaeJoong yeah?" JaeJoong nods and presses a kiss to the back of Yunho's hand.

 

"How are you today? What did you do?" Yunho holds up his other hand to show a marker drawn picture of a house with a sun rising behind it.

 

"This is where my family lives. It's on a beach and a pretty man is there with three, three more people. I want to go there some day, some day, some day." He closes his eyes and turns away from JaeJoong. It isn't long before he's no longer aware of JaeJoong anymore and he's talking to someone else he can only see. JaeJoong just watches, tired and useless as the love of his life, little by little, detaches from his sanity.

 

Yunho doesn't know that he has already been to that place. It was the beach house they stayed in during one of their extended schedules in Japan. They made love on that beach and watch the sunrise. JaeJoong dropped his head as a tear slipped from his eyes. The memory would only be his now and he didn't know if he was okay with that.

 

...

 

Ten days later they hold a press conference to announce the official hiatus of all TVXQ activities. JaeJoong doesn't speak and he barely hears the fans as they call for him and ask about Yunho.

 

"Stay strong Jae." Junsu is there holding his hand tight under the table. Yoochun does the same on the other side as Changmin keeps a straight and professional face for all of them.

 

When they get home, JaeJoong packs a bag and says that he's going to be with Yunho for a few days. Changmin stops him before he leaves, hand hard on his shoulder.

 

"We don't want to lose you too. Please." It's too late now because JaeJoong is already gone. He smiles and shakes his head.

 

"I need to be with Yun." He doesn't say bye to the others as he leaves and drives to the hospital. When he walks into Yunho's room, he's sitting near the window, mouth open and eyes closed. JaeJoong leans over and whispers words of love against his lips. I'm here for you baby is what he doesn't say out loud, but knows Yunho hears him he shifts and smiles.

 

JaeJoong thinks his last coherent  thoughts of love before he allows himself to end his connection with reality and join Yunho. They're finally falling together