Chapter 9: Midsummer Moon

Once and Always
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The deep green Bentley pulled up by the lush-red carpet lined with lighted torches that guided the guests towards the entrance of the grand, majestic and imposing mansion. Wheein stepped out of her ride, thanking the well-dressed door man, bearing the crest of the Moon clan—a powerful, silver wolf with bright blue eyes—for opening the heavy door of the armoured vehicle.

Fiery red hair flowed in smooth and large waves, framing her exquisite, porcelain-fair sweet face. The little beauty mark at the lower corner of her right mark added a sensuality to her. She glided along the red carpet, careful not to rip her delicate, bespoke jet-black lace dress that cover every inch of her skin yet strangely adding to her sensuality. Her gown accentuated every gentle curve, flaunting her S-line contour.

Jung Wheein would henceforth be known as Moon Wheein, the youngest daughter of Moon Soojung, Leader Moon of the venerable Moon clan. It was her rightful place in the Moon clan due to her immense contributions to the Moon clan.

A gentle breeze, carrying the scent of sweet summer flowers, caressed her fiery red hair. She paused and lifted her head, captivated by the mysticism of a bright, dreamy Midsummer Moon that only evoked the imagination of magic and power. Beyond the entrance, the melodies of live musicians echoed.

She clasped her black clutch bag, stepping discreetly aside to let prominent members of their society enter the foyer first. She recognised the guests as movers and shakers of the country. It was a one-in-the-lifetime opportunity to be invited into the Moon residence to bear witness to an ancient ritual, naturally everyone would be honoured to attend.

The Moon clan did not disappointed.

The foyer of the ‘Old Lady’ exuded opulence with gleaming marble floors and a sparkling 17th century crystal chandelier suspended from the ceiling, casting dazzling patterns across the massive room.

“Ms Wheein, you’re here,” bowed Butler Moon, dressed impeccably in a bespoke dark blue velvet whitetail. “You look wonderful tonight.”

Wheein chuckled warmly, flattered. “How are you, Uncle Moon?” Wheein asked, genuine warmth in her voice. “Thank you for working so hard. I never know how you run these events so effortlessly.” She gestured around absently.

His smile became equally affectionate as if he was looking at his daughter. “I hope that you would never have to learn to run these events by yourself. As our Young Mistress, all you need to do is to look beautiful, a feat that you always achieved effortlessly.”

Wheein nearly flinched from the compliments instinctively but she regained her composure, narrowing her grey eyes at the amused butler. “Uncle Moon, you’re teasing me. I know why my Unnie is so greasy.” She glanced around again. “Where is Unnie by the way? I lost contact with her since last morning.”

The smile faded from the eyes of Butler Moon and he gestured her to follow him as he led her upstairs to the third level where it was restricted to the immediate main family. “Heir Moonbyul was disciplined by Leader Moon last morning. She isn’t allowed to leave the grounds of Moon residence or contact others.”

Red brows furrowed at the new information. “Why did Unnie annoy Appa again?” She tilted her head adorably, glancing at the butler curiously.

Butler Moon sighed wearily. “Relationship between Leader Moon and Heir Moonbyul has been very strained since she was enlisted in the army. I’m uncertain about the reason for this discipline. Hajun was only allowed to meet her briefly today due to your official adoption.”

Wheein became frantic immediately when she realised that Unnie was completely isolated. “Can you take me to Unnie, Uncle Moon? I need to see her now.” Her voice became high pitch, a spicy scent of distress clouding her blueberry scent.

“Heir Moonbyul is in her wing,” answered Butler Moon, blinking continuously.

“Thank you, Uncle Moon. You know where to find me for the ceremony later,” gushed Wheein as she picked up the hem of her dress, a rather unsightly gesture and bolted towards the west wing.

The vibrant and lively west wing echoed with a haunting stillness, as if mirroring the isolation and forced confinement imposed upon the owner of the wing. The air itself seemed heavy, carrying a sense of melancholy that hung like a dense fog, casting a sombre pall over every corner of the spacious and luxurious wing.

Time seemed to be slow down.

The silence in the wing was unsettling, broken only by distant hushed whispers of household staff attending to their duties and the party that was happening on the terrace at the main building.

Wheein came to the entrance into the West Wing, a pair of solid and grand mahogany doors. The security detail that was deployed to guard the doors must be redeployed for the party since the entrance was unguarded. She rapped on the door, barely affected from her run. “Unnie, it’s me.” Without waiting for an answer, she opened the door and entered the wing.

She frowned at the suffocating and pungent smell of distress that hung in the air like cigarette smoke. “Unnie?” She scanned the spacious hall that remained unchanged, decorated with opulent furnishing and fine artwork suitable for an heir of a powerful clan. Her red brows knitted together in worry.

It was only about 48 hours of confinement in the wing, it should not have such a profound effect on the calm mind of Byulyi who was well-versed in anti-torture measures. She followed the smell into the gym. There, she was hit by aggressive alpha pheromones before her gaze fell on Byulyi. Her eyes widened in disbelief.

Her usually gleaming silver hair was wildly tousled, sticking to her scalp greasily. She was only dressed in a black support bra and a pair of boxers, dirty bandages tied messily around her fists as she circled around the gym mat.

Her opponent was none other than the well-built and towering bodyguard of Byulyi, Moon Hajun. He was lowered in a combative stance, waiting patiently for an opening. He circled his superior in a limp and his arms stretched out fully.

What terrified Wheein was the crazed and wild look of Byulyi. She did not hesitate, closing the distance swiftly and landing a kick on his stomach, sending the bodyguard flying a short distance away. He grunted in pain, gritting his teeth as he forced himself to remain standing.

The red-haired omega scowled, realising that this was no friendly spar to ease Byulyi’s distress. She was eying her bodyguard with eyes so black that it seemed to absorb all the light around her. She had never seen the older woman so threatening.

“Submit,” snarled Byulyi forcefully, her eyes becoming intensely black.

“Stop,” yelled Wheein stepping between the two combating alphas boldly, knowing that her next blow might kill Hajun. “Are you trying to kill each other?”

Hajun rested a hand on his stomach, still bowed. “Ms Wheein,” wheezed the tall and handsome alpha who was sporting bruises on his face and his body. He limped towards her. “Stay away from Moonbyul.” He reached to grab Wheein’s wrist and earnt a loud and ominous snarl from the unhinged Moonbyul.

Before Wheein could shake the hand of Hajun off, Byulyi knocked her bodyguard off his feet with her shoulder at full speed. Wheein immediately restrained Byulyi from behind by slipping her hands up her shoulder, locking her in place. She pumped out a lot of omega pheromones, trying to calm the silver-haired woman down. The older woman did not break free of her restraint and remained taut.

Hajun who was sitting on the ground, finally expelled a breath he did not know he was holding, relaxing visibly. He winced as he tried to sit up, holding his stomach.

“Byul Unnie, calm down please,” cooed Wheein, whispering into her ear as she clung tightly to the older and stronger woman who was breathing harshly. “Oppa wouldn’t hurt me. He is your bodyguard.”

It felt almost like an eternity before Byulyi relaxed a little and Wheein tilted her head towards the door, signalling to the bodyguard to get out of the gym first. Hajun nodded, keeping his head bow in a submissive posture and staggered on his feet, wincing in pain. He clenched his stomach and started to limp towards the door.

Wheein frowned. “Any broken bones, Oppa?”

“No, Ms Wheein,” replied Hajun meekly, surprised that she spoke to him. He glanced at Byulyi uncertainly and relaxed. It did not seem to trigger her sense of protectiveness.

“OK, attend to your wounds, Oppa. I will take over from here,” stated Wheein, nuzzling her cheek against her sweaty back.

“Thank you, Ms Wheein,” added Hajun gratefully. “I’ll be OK after a day of proper rest.” He eyed his superior worriedly. “Moonbyul needs to be ready for the ceremony later.”

Wheein nodded at once, her grey eyes shining with determination. “Leave it to me. I’ll persuade Unnie. Oppa, please keep to the shadows and get some rest.”

Hajun nodded solemnly. If the staff had caught sight of his deplorable state after he had exited from the heir’s wing, the news that Moonbyul did not deal well with confinement and lost control of herself would spread to Leader Moon, which would worsen the situation.

The loyal guard avoided the broken punching bags littered around the gym carefully. They sported dried blood stains, a sign that Byulyi had worked on them until the durable equipment had given away. Finally, he limped out of the gym to return to his room, leaving Wheein alone with the unhinged silver-haired woman.

“Unnie, take deep breaths. I’m going to release you.” Wheein slowly unhooked her arms from her, keeping her gaze on the older woman. “I’m going to step away, Unnie,” cooed the beautiful red-haired omega. She stepped away slowly, keeping an eye on Byulyi.

Byulyi’s dark eyes slowly flicker and change into its original hue after several heartbeats. The alpha wolf in the CEO seemed to realise that she need not remain in this heightened state of combat and could dialled just a little.

“Unnie, you’re at home with me, your Wheepup,” whispered Wheein in a soothing voice, touching her cheeks gently. She cooed when the older woman leaned into her touch, nuzzling against the palms of her hands as if she was starved from a lack of affections.

Wheein would have marvelled at the slender and well-sculptured body of Byulyi if she wasn’t concerned about Byulyi’s erratic mental state. Her exquisite and toned abdominal muscles were on full display, looking absolutely worth worshipping. It was also a sign that silver-haired alpha was severely dehydrated.

“Unnie, deep breaths through your nose and breathe out through your mouth,” instructed Wheein calmly. “I’m going to stop touching you.” Her announcement was met with desperate whines that made her heart ache. What had shoved Unnie into the very abyss? She ran for the mini refrigerator and grabbed a chilled bottle of isotonic drink. As she returned to Byulyi, she twisted the bottle cap opened and pressed it into her two hands. She guided Byulyi into drinking slowly, watching bob as she swallowed the liquid.

Wheein squeezed her forearm reassuringly, trying to anchor her with loving touches and her calming omega scent. She guided the bottle away from Byulyi’s lips when she had finished half a bottle, concerned that the older woman might throw up. “Feeling better, Unnie?” She rested a hand on Byulyi’s cheek lovingly. The older woman’s eyes were closed but she was still tensed. Her silver brows were still knitted, her angular jaws clenched.

“Byul Unnie, open your eyes,” urged Wheein softly, cupping her pointed chin. “You’re with me, your Wheepup.” She picked up one of her hands and place it on her cheek, allowing the older woman to feel her warmth.

That visceral connection enabled her to restore some of Byulyi’s reason. Her eyes cracked open slowly as if she was waking up from a deep sleep, unfocused. She blinked blearily and rested her hand fully on Wheein’s cheek. “Wheepup?” Her voice was raspy from the lack of use.

Wheein smiled brightly, her single dimple deepening. “Yes, your Wheepup,” purred she gently.

Byulyi inhaled sharply, tensing again.

“What’s wrong, Unnie?” The red-haired omega swiftly pressed her hand to her cheek to anchor her.

The silver-haired woman bowed her head, searching for the words to speak. “She…She left with him?” She gritted her teeth.

Wheein was bewildered, having no idea who these two people might be. Her silence was creating more distress. “Who are you talking about, Unnie?”

Byulyi bowed her head, her shoulders slumped. “She has left me again.”

“Unnie, I don’t know who you are speaking of,” confessed Wheein worriedly. “Please tell me who is it,” begged the younger woman.

“Pip’s Mummy,” confessed Byulyi, her eyes dark.

Wheein breathed a sigh of relief and shook her head. “No, no, no, Unnie. Pip’s Mummy and Pip are still at home. They are staying at the complex. Bae Unnie and Bear Unnie are also at the complex.”

Byulyi reached to grip her shoulders, staring intently into her eyes. “Unnie did not leave me?”

The red-haired woman shook her head lightly. “No, they did not.” She took Byulyi’s hand and examined the dirty bandages on it. “Why would you think that they would leave you? That thought has never crossed their minds.”

Byulyi did not seem too convinced but some of the tension dissipate from her body.

“Byul Unnie, give me a second. I will be back quickly.” Byulyi tensed a little but inclined her head. The red-haired omega walked briskly to the connected bathroom and her nose wrinkled at the pungent metallic smell of blood.

The first-aid kit was left opened on the counter with no more dressing and gauze left. Her red brows furrowed when she noticed a pile of used, wet and bloody dressing dangling from the closed bin, obviously filled with rubbish. “I’m not too sure if this is better than binge drinking until oblivion.” She took a face towel and soaked it in tepid water.

The beautiful red-haired woman walked out of the bathroom and found an exhausted Byulyi hunched on the ground, slipping from the high of aggressive alpha pheromones finally. The fall from that episode of intense rage seemed to drain the imposing and powerful Byulyi of all her strength.

Wheein sat next to her carefully and wipe Byulyi’s face gently with the moist cloth, cleaning the sweat from her face. “Does this feel better, Unnie?”

Byulyi nodded weakly, parched and her lips dry. Her brows were furrowed, question in her eyes. Wheein squeezed her arm gently, reassuring her while she answered the unspoken question. “Yong Unnie and Pip are OK. Unnie have completely recovered from the concussion. She was so restless that she spent most of yesterday cleaning the apartment.” She could not help but smile. “I oversaw Pip’s practice of footwork. He is a very dedicated learner. They know that you did not abandon them.”

The CEO expelled a breath she did not know she was holding, looking absolutely relieved. She closed her eyes, resting her forehead on her raised knees, looking like a lost child.

Wheein found herself at a loss. The doctor in her was quick at picking up the symptoms and attempt to formulate a working diagnosis. What Byul Unnie needed was not a doctor but a companion. She sat next to her, her legs brushing against Byulyi’s as she mirrored the sitting posture of Byulyi, pulling her knees under her chin. She rested slightly against Byulyi, glad that the older woman did not push her away.

That was a good start.

“I’m sorry,” offered Byulyi in quiet and muffled voice, not raising her face from her knees.

“For?” Wheein asked kindly, meeting her gaze.

“I’m not your Unnie,” replied Byulyi unemotionally. “I’m just trying to be her.”

Tears welled up in Wheein’s faint grey eyes at her haunted tone. “What do you mean? Byul Unnie, you’re you.”

The older woman scowled at her answer and hissed. “Look at this mess! Would your Byul Unnie do this?” There was some heat in her voice as she gestured around the ruined room.

“Unnie, it is OK to ruin your personal gym,” remarked Wheein light-heartedly, keeping a smile on her face. “You haven’t renovated your gym since you were in high school. It is a good time to consider. I see that you have spared several punching bags. Do you want me to set it up so that you can continue destroying them?” She rose to her feet, ready to walk over to pick up one of the new punching bags.

“Wheepup,” whined Byulyi softly, lowering her head again. She swallowed visibly. “There is a monster in me. I cannot tame it.”

Wheein paused and squatted down so that they were eye to eye. “Unnie, some people take a lifetime to learn that a monster lives in them,” reasoned the red-haired omega gently. “This is a good first step.” She took her hand and squeezed it gently.

Byulyi tilted her head, bewildered. “Are you not afraid?”

“Of the monster?”

The silver-haired woman nodded at once.

“No,” answered Wheein without missing a beat. “I will never be afraid of you.” She reached out and patted her cheek gently, smiling sweetly. A lump of emotions formed in . “I’m sorry that I did not seek you out earlier. I never realised this forced separation from Unnie and Pip would hurt you.”

Byulyi shook her head tiredly. “It’s not your fault.” Her voice was very coarse. She had a thousand-yard stare, a blank gaze that alarmed Wheein. She continued to pump out calming pheromones as she squeezed her kneecap worriedly. The older woman blinked continuously as she became more present.

“Do you want to speak to Pip and Unnie now?” Wheein asked, remembering that she had her mobile in her clutch bag.

“I can?” There was some hope in her eyes. “But what shall I say after going missing for nearly two days?” Byulyi’s face contorted with anxiety.

“Just tell them that you miss them,” grinned Wheein, glad to see life in her eyes. She reached for her clutch and took out her phone. She called Yong Unnie’s number right away and placed it on speaker mode.

The call connected immediately as if Yongsun had been waiting anxiously for the call.

“Wheepup, are you OK? Did you manage to find Byul?” Yongsun’s uneasy voice resounded in the gym.

Wheein glanced at Byulyi, waiting for the older woman to give a cue for her to speak.

“Wheepup?” Yongsun echoed worriedly. “Should I ask Dr Bae to fetch you and Byul?”

“Mummy, is that Pretty Noona on the line?” They could hear the anxious voice of Dopul in the background.

“I’m going to put the call on speaker, Wheepup,” stated Yongsun.

“Pretty Noona, is everything OK? Why does mummy want to ask Dr Bae to fetch you and Byul?”

“I’m fine,” smiled Wheein, noticing that Byulyi was just contented to listening their voice. “I did manage to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter