Chapter 14: My Home

Once and Always
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The heavy doors of the inner chamber were pulled open and Moon Byulyi rose from her kneeling position to a standing position. Her long silver hair cascaded down her back smoothly, captivating the guards who had opened the massive doors. She looked over her shoulder, her gleaming, sapphire eyes bright and alert. There was a sharp inhale by one of the guards before they remembered themselves and bowed deeply.

“Is the week already up?” The master scion of the clan asked, her voice deep and commanding. She turned around to face them. Her cherry-shaped lips curled in a faint smile. The guards felt shivers running down their spine at the sheer authoritative presence of their next leader. If they were honest, the young leader was even more formidable than the current head, her achievements more stellar.

“No, Young Master.” One of the guards answered, keeping his head low. “Our leader has summoned you to his study.”

She acknowledged with an idle hum and strode out of the inner chamber with her head held high. She barely kept her annoyance at bay that she had to return to the Moon temple so soon. Kim Yongsun had finally given her permission to be in her nest, her sanctuary that was starting to become hers. When she had awakened Yongsun in the morning and told her that she needed to return to the Moon temple, the blonde did not want to let her go. The shorter woman clung on her with all her might, refusing to listen to reason.

When Yongsun was starting to see reason, Byulyi had turned down an important request from the older woman. She refused to let the manager to scent her since she would be meeting her parents who would be able to detect the change of her fragrance. That denial sent Yongsun into another possessive frenzy to claim her through urging the younger woman to reach the pinnacle of her passion several times by touching her fervently. At least she had the presence of mind to dart to the connecting bathroom and lock the door before Yongsun decided to pursue after her and continue her passionate process of claiming.

The very thought of Yongsun staking her claim in such a unique way had her silver brows furrowing. She resisted the desire to sigh with disappointment at her defencelessness when it came to a certain pretty and confident omega. No one had such power over her, not Krystal Jung when she was convinced that she was in love with at one point of her life. At least the unique way of staking claim was effective since her mind was consumed by the beautiful blonde.

Had Yongsun always been a ert? She had been trying to get handsy with her at every opportunity. Had she always been such a fervent lover?

Darkness seeped from Byulyi in waves at the very thought that Yongsun might have learnt how to please her from other lovers in the ten years that they were parted. She stamped it out at once, knowing that it was ridiculous for her to be upset—she could not help it since she also had the same burning desire to have Yongsun completely.

Somehow, she found herself at doorstep of the office of the leader of the clan. The guards opened the two doors at once after announcing her presence. Byulyi strode into the massive and opulent office with careless grace that captured the attention of everyone in the room.

Leader Moon or Moon Soojung was a well-built, large and intimidating man that no one in their right mind would dare to challenge except for his wayward heir. He stood in front of the ceiling-to-floor window behind his desk and looked out of the window distantly. His hands were stowed in the pockets of his green plait slacks, looking deceptively relaxed. He had matched that green plait slacks with a white dress shirt.

Byulyi found herself questioning her relentless obedience to this man before her, her sire. She had always been in awe of her sire, his presence felt larger than life. Somehow, his captivating air of self-assurance felt very lacklustre to Byulyi. She studied him closely, trying to discern the difference. There wasn’t that mystic enigma that she had always associated with Moon Soojung. All she saw was a man, tortured by the horrors of war and aged by the duties to the clan.

Moon Soojung had grown older. It must be a trick of light. The image of the strong, powerful and no-nonsense man blurred and melted into this older man with similar facial features, his laugh lines more prominent, grey hair mixed in the silver hair. His broad shoulders seemed to be slightly hunched, weighted down by his duties.

Byulyi froze.

Her sire had grown old.

Her heart ached. Now that she shared the horrors of war, Byulyi comprehended his unreasonable demands, the consuming desire for control and excessively strict discipline. Did he feel like a misfit, the great pretender just like her?

Byulyi, the daughter and heir of Moon Soojung would never view him as a man with weakness; he was the Leader that demanded her full obedience from her and her clanmates. Byulyi, the sire of Kim Dopul, whose life now start to revolve around the stewardship of her pup with Yongsun, saw him as a man trying to be a sire and a leader at the same time, both attempts failing miserably due to the horrors of war. Her heart was filled with pity.

Leader Moon spun around and stared at her with piercing sapphire eyes when he sensed her hesitance. His thick silver brows were furrowed. Like the handsome woman that just entered the office, he scrutinised her too. He saw something in her that he could not comprehend. “Heir Moonbyul, it seems like spending some time repenting before the Moon Goddess has been very agreeable,” observed he as he slipped into the majestic armchair before the desk. Leader Moon still dwarfed the massive, majestic office chair.

The handsome CEO took a moment to collect herself, schooling her face into a neutral expression. She closed the distance briskly and stood before his desk. She inclined her head briefly. “Thank you, Leader Moon. You summoned me?”

Leader Moon’s brows furrowed deeper at her perfect composure, as if she found an anchor to ground her solidly. Somehow, he sensed that his daughter had changed. “I did, Heir Moonbyul. Please have a seat.” He gestured to the chair in front of him and waited for his daughter to sit down, still observing her. “Your sentence was a week of repentance and cleansing in the Moon temple to prepare yourself to receive your bride, an omega from the Lee Chaebol.” He steepled his hands together, staring at Byulyi. “There have been some unfortunate developments.” He discerned no change in her expression. “The arrangement has been called off. It seems like the Moon Goddess is determined not to provide a suitable partner for now.”

Byulyi maintained a polite interest.

“The new leader of the Lees is going to throw a party to celebrate his engagement to the youngest daughter of the Jung soon. I would like you to attend it.” He handed her an elegant invitation with the names of newly-engaged couple: Lee Changsub and Krystal Jung.

“Lee Changsub?” Byulyi enquired, politely curious. “I don’t remember that the Lee had a male heir.”

The face of Leader Moon became ugly. “No, he did not. The former Lee conspired with the former Kang to kidnap one of our own.” That was an explanation by itself. There was no way that the wrath of the Moon clan would leave the former Lee and his family untouched. They were likely to be deported and if they were merciful, killed. It explained the speed of the usurpation since she and her sire were behind it.

“OK. Has the Jung apologised formally?” She was surprised that her sire wanted her to attend the ceremony in person. That meant that the Moon clan truly honoured the Lees, besides ensuring that Byulyi cut off all feelings towards Krystal and had a proper closure.

“Yes. However, that’s beside the point. We’re trying to maintain amicable relations with the new Lee,” reasoned Leader Moon, studying her expression closely, expecting her to react terribly to the news that her former fiancée was getting married to another person again. “Heir Moonbyul, I expect that you will conduct yourself suitably.”

“Yes, my leader. Are there any other matters?”

Leader Moon hesitated for several moments, a strange sight. She became alert at once. “There is one more matter. It is about your younger sister.” Worry flickered briefly in his eyes as his tough exterior caved in. “Wheein has been staying out late or not returning home at all. I need you to investigate this abnormality.” His brows furrowed. “I don’t wish for others to prey on my youngest daughter simply because of her new identity.”

Byulyi resisted the urge to sigh at Wheein’s complacency. She understood why the task fell on her since she would protect the reputation of the red-haired omega. And she understood her sire’s concern and irritation.

“I’ll see to it at once, my leader,” decided Byulyi, adding a little heat into her tone. “If there are no other matters, I will excuse myself now to deal with this investigation.”

Leader Moon nodded approvingly. “I can be contacted at any time.” He hesitated for several moments again. “Moonbyul, ensure that the investigation does not alert Wheepup. I don’t want her to think that we’re so controlling. We adopted her because we care for her.”

Byulyi resisted the desire to chuckle at her sire’s secret want to maintain a good reputation before his youngest daughter while alleviating his concern. It was so paternal that her cherry-shaped lips curled in a faint smile. “Of course, my leader.” She hesitated for several moments, realising that she ought to exploit this chance. “My leader, if there are no urgent business, I would be incognito.”

The head of the clan frowned at her decision. “Whatever for?”

“For the investigation,” replied Byulyi. “I will continue to execute my duties as heir of the Moon clan.”

Leader Moon held her gaze steadily but noted nothing of interest. “Make sure that your duties are properly executed, Heir Moonbyul.”

Byulyi acknowledged with a bow before walking out of the office. Leader Moon’s wish to look good in front of his daughter was a feeling that she identified closely. Wasn’t it the same for her? She wondered how Dopul would have reacted to her absence and her inability to send him to school. She was starting to look forward to sending him to school because of the conversations they would share.

The heir of the Moon clan took her time to refresh herself in her wing, although she was dying to return to that incognito lifestyle at once. She had to look her best and continue to win over the council members especially since Dopul had no wish to be accepted as an heir of the Moon clan. That would take a lot of political manoeuvring to grant her pup his wish. She sighed to herself. She had duties to see to at once. She glanced at her watch and determined that she had a good eight hours to complete her tasks in the Moon mansion.

O.A

“Unnie, you look out of sorts today,” commented Hyejin as the make-up artists worked their magic on her. She had pulled her knees up to her chin while sitting in the chair before the vanity table. She placed her mobile aside, observing the older woman through the reflection of the mirror. “You arrived at the office at your usual time. Did you have to send Doldol to school today?”

Yongsun nodded absently, flipping her blond hair over her shoulder, letting it fall slowly down. She was wearing a white sleeveless dress with a deep V cut in the front, looking effortlessly beautiful. A thin silver chain adorned her neck, adding sophistication to the older omega. “I wasn’t late.”

“No, you were not. Heaven forbid that our Solar Kim is late for work,” teased Hyejin, trying to lightened the atmosphere. She reached to clasp Yongsun’s arm playfully when she realised that she had failed in her attempt to cheer the older woman up. “What is bothering our Solar Kim then?” The make-up artist concluded with her finishing touches and kept her equipment, a sign that she was going to depart.

Yongsun and Hyejin thanked the makeup artist at once.

Soon, the two best friends were finally alone.

“Unnie?” Hyejin probed, looking concerned. It was rare that workaholic Yongsun looked so out of sorts at work.

The blond omega gave an absent shrug.

“Ah, it must be about CEO Unnie then. What did she do?” Hyejin asked, instinctively realising the problem. Had honeymoon end so quickly?

“It was more like what she did not do,” began Yongsun, her brows furrowing.

Her mind returned to the morning after their first date. Byulyi who was spooning her from behind gently woke her up with chaste kisses on her face until she groaned, her eyes springing open. The sight of Byulyi all mussed up, looking remarkably gentle had her reaching upwards to cup her face. She kissed her future alpha slow and gentle. When they drew apart to breathe, Byulyi her plump cheek gently and told her that she needed to return to the Moon residence at once.

Of course, she grew frantic at once. Byulyi was supposed to return to Moon residence to get married at the end of the week. When the manager tried to scent her woman, Byulyi stopped her at once, trapping her face in her chest.

“I can’t be scent-marked,” explained Byulyi hoarsely, regret lacing her tone. “My parents will detect the change of scent.”

That answer set a fire in her that could not be quenched. She allowed the flames to consume her and left her marks on the handsome woman in other, far more intimate ways. The affair became so torrid and ardent that Byulyi fled from her bed and locked herself in the bathroom.

Hyejin’s squeeze of her hand had Yongsun returning to the present. She raised her head to meet the worried gaze of her best friend still sitting in the chair before the vanity table. It took her a while to realise that her hands were balled into fists, a sign that she was really upset.

Indeed, she was still upset with her future alpha.

“I was upset that Byul did not want me to scent her when she had to return home this morning.”

The singer frowned, bewildered.

“Byul didn’t want her parents to know about us,” admitted Yongsun bitterly. “Like our relationship is a dirty little secret—”

“—Wait wait, Unnie,” interjected Hyejin abruptly, leaning forward to grip her armrest. “You wanted her parents to acknowledge you?” Her brows skyrocketed past her hairline. She had no idea that their relationship had progressed so quickly.

At her question, Yongsun froze. Was that what she truly desired?

The sun-kissed singer looked at her worriedly. “I know that you were getting serious with CEO Unnie but I had no idea that you wanted to be publicly acknowledged—”

“—I want Byul to be mine,” corrected Yongsun with a little heat in her voice. “No, I mean she is mine. I don’t want Byul to see others or have her name linked to others on the news.” She ran out of steam after venting and deflated.

The alpha singer hummed a sound of acknowledgement, looking sympathetic. “But Unnie, you’re not ready to be acknowledged by her parents, are you?”

Yongsun ran her hand through her blond hair, frustrated. “I don’t know.” She huffed. “All I know is that I will go crazy if that stupid alpha accepts her family’s arrangement to meet others or be engaged again.” She folded her arms across her chest, pouting.

Yongsun’s anger surprised the mild-tempered Hyejin since the easy-going omega rarely got so distraught. She reached to squeeze her hand supportively. “Unnie, you just need to tell CEO Unnie.”

The manager scowled at her simple advice. “I think I’ve made myself really clear when I agreed to her marriage proposal just a few days ago.”

The jaws of Hyejin nearly hit the floor. “What?”

The manager looked at her innocently. “I didn’t tell you?”

“No!” Hyejin nearly yelled back. She took a deep breath, held her breath to the count of three and expelled it. She felt a lot more in control. “CEO Unnie proposed to you,” prompted the singer, staring at her curiously.

“Yea, we were having a heart-to-heart talk that night,” elaborated Yongsun, realising that she had to catch her friend up on her relationship with Byul. “That silly woman disguised the marriage proposal as a method to keep our family intact.” She shook her head lightly at the memory. She could not believe that Byul had such a low opinion about her appeal. “I didn’t want that. Byul has had so many engagements but none of them were for her happiness.”

The sensual alpha nodded. “But you have already accepted her proposal.”

Yongsun nodded at once, not seeing the issue.

The singer realised that she needed to be specific. She wrapped her arms around her knees. “Unnie, are you engaged to CEO Unnie?”

The manager considered her question and shook her head. “No. We will be when we are ready. We’re seeing each other. It’s just a tad bit complicated since we share a pup.”

“And your bed,” muttered Hyejin under her breath as she massaged her temple gently.

“What’s that again, Jinie-ah?” The blonde asked when her remark was too inaudible.

Hyejin returned to the original topic of getting Yongsun to talk to Byulyi about her unhappiness. “Unnie, I think I sort of understand your anger and comprehend CEO Unnie’s intention,” spoke the singer slowly. “Correct me if I’m wrong please. You’re upset that you can’t openly stake a claim on her especially when her father is arranging marriages for her. It also feels like CEO Unnie is trying to hide your relationship.” She paused and studied the older omega.

Yongsun nodded vigorously.

“Unnie, have you considered that CEO Unnie is protecting you and Doldol? If she had allowed you to scent her and her family discovers the relationship, you will lose this freedom of choice. Right now, you can choose when you wish to be officially acknowledged and accept the duties and changes that comes with that new identity.” She studied her pointed nails. “Besides, I’m certain that Doldol doesn’t wish to be acknowledged so quickly.”

“Oh.” The blond omega did not consider these points or see it from Byulyi’s point of view.

Hyejin sighed, flipping her thick hair over her shoulder. “Unnie, that’s just my guess. The point is that you should talk to CEO Unnie soon.” Her smile became mischievous. “I never knew that you were so possessive.”

The manager deflated. “I know. I didn’t know that I would feel so possessive over Byul.” She threw her hands into the air, slumping into her seat. “She isn’t my first date but I have never felt this intense need to stake my claim on my partner.” She raked her fingers through her hair. “It’s unsettling.”

The singer resisted the desire to laugh, knowing exactly how she felt. “Were you infected by CEO Unnie’s possessiveness?” Hyejin teased playfully, waggling her eyebrows at her. “CEO Unnie never hides her possessiveness over you. Some signs of possessiveness over her pup’s mother are very natural for a domineering alpha like her.”

“Can’t I also be possessive over her? Byul is the sire of my pup,” countered Yongsun in a whine. She hated to be pigeonholed due to their secondary genders. “And she’s really hot.” She fanned herself at the very thought of a paternal Byul caring for Doldol. “It’s getting so difficult to keep my hands to myself.”

“Gods, will you keep your hormones in check, Unnie?” Hyejin complained when she picked up a faint hint of pheromones from the older woman. She picked up the USB powered fan from the vanity table and turned it on, trying to blow the pheromones in the air away.

Yongsun gave her an apologetic look.

 “Anyway, CEO Unnie and you sound like a mated couple.” She smiled at her toothily. “And one way to test that theory is to keep you separated—”

“—No,” interrupted Yongsun, crossing her arms. “That’s a silly suggestion. Byul was placed on house arrest and it drove her mad.” Her eyes widened at once, shocked. “No, no, no, no, it cannot be. We were separated for ten years. It can’t be.” If they were truly mated, they would have atypical heats and ruts.

“And you had no alphas but her,” reminded Hyejin gently. “Not for the lack of suitors and trying.” She nudged the older woman on the rib.

Yongsun shook her head profusely, rejecting the claim at once. “I think it’s just typical Moon alpha behaviour and I’m just very enamoured by her.” The answer sounded more plausible than an accidental mating.

The singer shrugged when she noticed the determined gleam in her honeyed eyes, a sign that she had boxed up her thoughts and refuse to consider other possibilities.  “Probably, Unnie. It’s just a thought. Anyway, you should talk to CEO Unnie soon. Open communication is a sign of trust and faith, Unnie.” She patted her thigh affectionately. “I want a cup of iced coffee for this consult.”

The manager threw her head back and shrieked in high-pitch laughter. “Jinie-ah, you’re just trying to fleece a cup iced coffee from me.”

The singer waved a finger at her. “I earnt that cup, Ms Solar Kim.”

“Just one more matter, Jinie-ah, what do you think about employing an assistant? I can pay for that.”

The singer brightened up at once. “Finally!” She clapped her hands, excited. It had been an uphill battle to convince Yongsun to employ an assistant so that she could spend more time with Dopul. “Yes! Yes! Yes! I can pay out of my own pocket—”

“—No, if we’re employing an assistant to ease my workload then it should come out from my pocket,” reasoned Yongsun stubbornly.

“But it is my assistant,” complained Hyejin. “I should be her employer.”

Yongsun shook her head. “No, conflict of interest. If you are the employer, you’ll be late to your schedule on the days that the assistant is accompanying you.”

“I’m a night owl. Why can’t people understand that I’m more productive after twelve? I often find my muse in the early morning,” groused the younger alpha, threading her finger through her hair. She stood up and squeezed her shoulder. “I’m gonna get ready now. Find time in your schedule to talk to CEO Unnie.”

“Aish, you’re nagging,” whined Yongsun, frowning. She shoved the singer towards the door, knowing that she had to begin her pre-performance ritual. She had already shortlisted several candidates on her way to this location. They were all from the company and were very familiar with Hyejin and her. She made a mental note to contact them directly.

Her mobile beeped.

It was a message from a number that she had memorised.

“Unnie, I’ll pick up Pip from school later. By the way, I’m official

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter